Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Auron posted:

I was mistaken, you are correct on this and I believe it applies to all modern Fords.
There's a part of me that wonders why I haven't seen anyone rigging up an arduino to their engine start button and automatically artificially increasing the counter up to a plausible number. Considering all the other effort people seem to be willing to put in to concealing their modifications from the dealer that seems easy by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

wolrah posted:

There's a part of me that wonders why I haven't seen anyone rigging up an arduino to their engine start button and automatically artificially increasing the counter up to a plausible number. Considering all the other effort people seem to be willing to put in to concealing their modifications from the dealer that seems easy by comparison.

I don't think most modern cars like it if you hook things up to the engine start button.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think most modern cars like it if you hook things up to the engine start button.

There are quite a few threads on the various ST forums about taking apart the button and changing out the LED or replacing the lens with one from a Euro model. Getting access to the actual microswitch where you could then hook up any kind of device you wanted isn't hard.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Wife got her alltrack stage 1 87 tune and dsg tune. They couldn't do the apr plus even though listed as an approved dealer. Took forever, like 3 hours instead of an expected hour or less. But hot drat is it nice now. Quick to build boost that was missing down low and just a lot more power. May still do the is20 and 91 tune later but she mentioned it felt like the stinger accelerating. Looking at is38 sportwagen swaps on youtube that would be slightly faster than the stinger.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

wolrah posted:

Keep in mind that the warranty on the FRPP/Mountune tunes is not equivalent to the OEM powertrain warranty. It only covers to 3y/36k, not 6y/60k.
the 3/36 is only for the power pack parts, it doesn't reduce your factory powertrain warranty to 3/36.

Unsane fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 17, 2018

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Christobevii3 posted:

Wife got her alltrack stage 1 87 tune and dsg tune. They couldn't do the apr plus even though listed as an approved dealer. Took forever, like 3 hours instead of an expected hour or less. But hot drat is it nice now. Quick to build boost that was missing down low and just a lot more power. May still do the is20 and 91 tune later but she mentioned it felt like the stinger accelerating. Looking at is38 sportwagen swaps on youtube that would be slightly faster than the stinger.

Eeeexcellent. May be looking at the alltrack as a long term family car replacement, so I'm excited to hear the results are good.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Unsane posted:

the 3/36 is only for the power pack parts, it doesn't reduce your factory powertrain warranty to 3/36.
Read the document I linked.

quote:

Ford Performance and mountune parts are aftermarket parts. The use of Ford Performance and mountune parts may impact the performance characteristics of other systems of the vehicle. Even when operating properly, Ford Performance and mountune parts, such as these, have the potential to adversely impact other systems of the vehicle. If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Performance or mountune performance pack or component, the period and coverage of this Ford Performance Limited Warranty applies to the repairs.
Emphasis in the original document. It specifically states that as far as the original warranty is concerned these are aftermarket parts and that the additional warranty is to cover any cases where the original warranty would deny a claim due to the modification.

In other words, at least officially, any situation where an equivalently modified Cobb, Mountune, Stratified, or whoever else tuned car would be denied a FRPP/Mountune car would also be denied unless the additional warranty is still in effect. The value of choosing that package over any of the others expires at 3/36.

That said I'd assume that some of the shittier dealers that would try to blame unrelated failures on modifications might be less likely to do so if they're the "Ford Approved" ones so depending on how mod-friendly your dealer is there might still be some unofficial value for the remainder of the normal powertrain coverage.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 17, 2018

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Driving the vw alltrack stage 1 87 tune today, drat that vw mbq platform is so good stock.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Christobevii3 posted:

Driving the vw alltrack stage 1 87 tune today, drat that vw mbq platform is so good stock.

How much power did you gain with an 87 octane tune?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Larrymer posted:

How much power did you gain with an 87 octane tune?

APR tune gets +65 HP +78 FT-LBS

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_18tsi_gen3_mqb.html

on a GTI its even more dramatic

305 HP 371 FT-LBS +78 HP @ 3,950 RPM +105 TQ @ 3,700 RPM

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb.html

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Oh, if only I were a Powerball winner. (This counts as a hatch, right?)

https://bringatrailer.com/2018/02/17/group-b-homologation-swb-1985-audi-sport-quattro/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't think they do an 87 octane tune for a GTI.

Pretty impressive for the 1.8 though.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Doesn’t mountune require a dealership do all the installation to keep the warranty intact (and there in driving the price up more)?
L

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dr.Caligari posted:

Doesn’t mountune require a dealership do all the installation to keep the warranty intact (and there in driving the price up more)?
L

any ASE certified mechanic can do a ford performance part install and remain under warranty. (some parts are ineligible for warranty coverage.)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wrong thread, but there's an s2000 that sits outside in Philly on my way to work. I see it every day and the guy finally posted a for sale sign. It's a 2002, white, with 50k miles. The front and back bumpers are beat to poo poo. Posted for 18k. Is he high as a kite? That seems high.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Wrong thread, but there's an s2000 that sits outside in Philly on my way to work. I see it every day and the guy finally posted a for sale sign. It's a 2002, white, with 50k miles. The front and back bumpers are beat to poo poo. Posted for 18k. Is he high as a kite? That seems high.

Red interior?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

Red interior?

Yup I think so.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He'll probably get asking price, if he cleans it up and is patient. S2000 prices are going to the moon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
also he'll probably get it because it's white. and extra money cause it doesnt have that stupid loving blue interior.

Larrymer posted:

I don't think they do an 87 octane tune for a GTI.

Pretty impressive for the 1.8 though.

yeah its pretty impressive

im honestly tempted by this new APR offer where they basically allow you to spend 400 bucks extra for a tune but it comes with a warranty that covers the rest of your factory powertrain warranty.

http://www.goaprplus.com/

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 18, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

also he'll probably get it because it's white. and extra money cause it doesnt have that stupid loving blue interior.

yeah its pretty impressive

im honestly tempted by this new APR offer where they basically allow you to spend 400 bucks extra for a tune but it comes with a warranty that covers the rest of your factory powertrain warranty.

http://www.goaprplus.com/

Seems great until I read how the warranty works. The closest participating dealer (that's actually a VW dealer) is 4 hours away in case I needed warranty work. I'll probably just wait until the warranty runs out and consider the 93 tune at that point.

But I'm pretty content just throwing 87 in the tank and driving it like a chump currently. :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Yup I think so.

Yeah, that will sell.

BlackMK4 posted:

He'll probably get asking price, if he cleans it up and is patient. S2000 prices are going to the moon.

Probably wouldn't even need to clean it up. That's one of the most desirable color combos, and with lowish mileage some minor cosmetic stuff won't matter. If the interior is in good shape he'll definitely be fine.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Thinking about doing the IS38 swap which is another 117whp over the Stage 1 and 89wtq. Car is bonkers to think about being able to do this but the 1.8T is more square than the 2.0T in the GTI so shouldn't be an issues it sounds like. 351hp and 335 ft lbs on 91 octane in awd will be a hoot at the crank. 292hp and 315 ft lbs at crank with is20 turbo and stock downpipe.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I called my dealer to schedule the head gasket equipment for my RS. The scheduling lady said I only get a rental if the tests fail, which is NOT what the paperwork I got from Ford says. I'm worried they'll run the test, not see any leaks and give the car back without replacing the head gasket - even though the gasket is supposed to get replaced either way.

This is the same dealer that forgot to take out my suspension blocks and still missed one when I took it back to have them removed.

Maybe I should take it somewhere else...

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

I called my dealer to schedule the head gasket equipment for my RS. The scheduling lady said I only get a rental if the tests fail, which is NOT what the paperwork I got from Ford says. I'm worried they'll run the test, not see any leaks and give the car back without replacing the head gasket - even though the gasket is supposed to get replaced either way.

This is the same dealer that forgot to take out my suspension blocks and still missed one when I took it back to have them removed.

Maybe I should take it somewhere else...

I'd definitely call around, maybe see if you can find a local owners group who has a recommendation? Southeast Michigan has a Ford mechanic who owns an RS, and is doing 4-5 a week right now, even sending owners pictures showing what internals look like and stuff.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just installed my JB4 and went for a whirl and holy poo poo. What a difference this makes. I can’t even imagine what stage 2 feels like.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
welp installed the euro headlights, one of the mounting points seems to have busted off during transit, sooo a structual ziptie was added until i can get a replacement tab to permanently fix it. 3/4ths of the relay rig is set up, just needed a quick molex connectors for dummies course and i should hopefully have the drls and leds working by the end of the week.

much brighter though, just have to wait till its a bit less sunny to check the aim

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Etrips posted:

Just installed my JB4 and went for a whirl and holy poo poo. What a difference this makes. I can’t even imagine what stage 2 feels like.

DOWNPIPE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have some questions about a longer hatch for the vw people here. I know the manual AWD sportwagen is derated compared to the DSG. I assume this is because the manual box is a bit fragile. If that's the case, can you chip the car up to APR Stage 1 levels without issue? I would like to replace the ST with something just a bit more practical and would prefer a longroof, but don't want to deal with 170hp. How does the rest of the AWD system hold up? what are the limiting points? I assume a swaybar or two would help out with handling and get it closer to a GTI experience.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

In due time. Next up are springs/struts/shocks then new wheels/tires once spring rolls around.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The JB1/4 on stock tires seems like a waste

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The JB1/4 on stock tires seems like a waste

you don't want to hammer the car in first and it hooks in second just fine

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
aim is good. maybe an inch low.

but good enough. these are way brighter.

go team.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

sneakyfrog posted:

aim is good. maybe an inch low.

but good enough. these are way brighter.

go team.

Yeah, why the USDM FiST has those poxy reflector housings in it I don’t understand..

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Etrips posted:

Must... resist...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yeah, why the USDM FiST has those poxy reflector housings in it I don’t understand..

yeah, the euro headlights look way nicer. and seem to work better. i might pop em up just a hair cutoff seems about 6" low or so but the euro LHD pattern projectors have a great curved cutoff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What issues does the FiST have when tracked in stock form? I've got a two day event March 3/4 so I figured I'd take the FiST for a day to try out. poo poo is 100% stock with Ventus V2 tires. :lol: I don't expect a lot.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

What issues does the FiST have when tracked in stock form? I've got a two day event March 3/4 so I figured I'd take the FiST for a day to try out. poo poo is 100% stock with Ventus V2 tires. :lol: I don't expect a lot.

Cooking brakes, overheating coolant and hitting limp mode.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Jesus, where are the affordable aluminum radiators? (Koyo)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BlackMK4 posted:

Jesus, where are the affordable aluminum radiators? (Koyo)

lol just keep floggin the s2k man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

lol just keep floggin the s2k man

i'm planning for the down time when the f20 goes pop :v: Actually, I'll probably just take care of it during the off-season this year. (April - September)