Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Oldstench posted:

I've started eyeing stuff to sell to help finance a Buchla Skylab system.

A kidney should cover a Skylab system, and you only need one right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

Gringostar posted:

A kidney should cover a Skylab system, and you only need one right?

Better make it both kidneys just to be safe.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What is more expensive:

a) a Buchla Skylab
b) Skylab

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Is BEMI even operating right now?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Startyde posted:

Yes but even if they weren't out wouldn't matter. It's gonna take me 2 years to save up for it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
So I love my Novation Circuit but I'm looking for the next step upwards as I'm starting to hit its limitations in its pure hardware state - I don't like going to the PC to sort out synth patches and sampling is really limited.

I love building everything in a single box before throwing it all up on Ableton for the final leg of the journey. This means that I don't necessarily want to write the whole song in the box, but rather get loads of parts that I can put together afterwards. I'm limited in space, so a minimal setup is always preferable to five different synths/drum machines, etc.

So what's the natural progression onwards from the Circuit? The Digitakt? The OP-1? The MPC Live/Touch? The Octatrack?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Plavski posted:

So I love my Novation Circuit but I'm looking for the next step upwards as I'm starting to hit its limitations in its pure hardware state - I don't like going to the PC to sort out synth patches and sampling is really limited.

I love building everything in a single box before throwing it all up on Ableton for the final leg of the journey. This means that I don't necessarily want to write the whole song in the box, but rather get loads of parts that I can put together afterwards. I'm limited in space, so a minimal setup is always preferable to five different synths/drum machines, etc.

So what's the natural progression onwards from the Circuit? The Digitakt? The OP-1? The MPC Live/Touch? The Octatrack?

Go watch every Red Means Recording video on youtube and then buy an op-1.

He does a ton of composition on the op-1 and then a heavy amount of work in ableton afterwards...he even has videos covering some of the ableton side of things.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

havelock posted:

Agreed. Very good channel.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

havelock posted:

He does a ton of composition on the op-1 and then a heavy amount of work in ableton afterwards...he even has videos covering some of the ableton side of things.

I'm a long time subscriber of his and he put the OP-1 very high on my list. But now he's playing with the Digitakt and it sounds amazing too and right up my alley.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Startyde posted:

Funny story, I just heard from a local BEMI dealer that they sent out a notice (read: warning) that they're elevating their pricing again in the next year or so. The sense he got from contacts in the company is that the business is failing hard, and rather than streamlining their production process and trimming some fat, they're hoping to ride a wave of bigger margins back into profitability.

TL,DR: Buy your Buchla stuff soon, because their future is looking pretty rough and used prices are going to absolutely skyrocket if they fold.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

havelock posted:

OP-1 ordered. That should keep me quiet for a month or two until the Digitakt is back in stock. Then all I need is a new audio interface to support the gear. And then all I need is a...

Good old GAS, keeping my girlfriend worried about our finances since 2013.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

TL,DR: Buy your Buchla stuff soon, because their future is looking pretty rough and used prices are going to absolutely skyrocket if they fold.

Already been happening for easels for a while anyway. Been saving my pennies but now even un"fixed" early ones people are trying to get 4k lol.
I think new is at 4500$ but you can't buy direct anymore.
I feel like their catalog was fairly large for how much they were actually able to produce or support.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

lol elektron.

A4 module/rytm MkIIs are announced. A4 interestingly has CV in and frustratingly individual stereo outs per voice. I'm sure the keyboard will not be upgraded.
Rytm still can't resample. e: no it can. If this isn't backported... :(

Not sure I dig on this new aesthetic.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 6, 2017

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Funny story, I just heard from a local BEMI dealer that they sent out a notice (read: warning) that they're elevating their pricing again in the next year or so. The sense he got from contacts in the company is that the business is failing hard, and rather than streamlining their production process and trimming some fat, they're hoping to ride a wave of bigger margins back into profitability.

It's gonna be hilarious when I finally save the scratch to get what I want and they shut down.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Startyde posted:

lol elektron.

A4 module/rytm MkIIs are announced. A4 interestingly has CV in and frustratingly individual stereo outs per voice. I'm sure the keyboard will not be upgraded.
Rytm still can't resample. e: no it can. If this isn't backported... :(

Not sure I dig on this new aesthetic.

Charging a hundred per machine for Overbridge now.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Charging a hundred per machine for Overbridge now.

lol

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

lol indeed. They're frantically trying to flush all of the cult's goodwill towards them as quickly as possible it seems.
How long has Rytm been out anyway? Two years?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've had mine for 30 days exactly. I was super pissed when I heard the news. Proper stereo audio in, sampling and CV in are things i'd have paid extra for if I knew I could. But they're actually included at the same price... Yeah it's technically $100 more because of overbridge but that's also dumb.
Most hardware developers reduce the price of the old versions before bringing out new ones. If native instruments is having a sale, you know there is a 100% chance whatever is on sale is having a new version released in a couple months. It's the unspoken way of announcing something new without actually having to show it off.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

cubicle gangster posted:

I've had mine for 30 days exactly. I was super pissed when I heard the news. Proper stereo audio in, sampling and CV in are things i'd have paid extra for if I knew I could. But they're actually included at the same price... Yeah it's technically $100 more because of overbridge but that's also dumb.
Most hardware developers reduce the price of the old versions before bringing out new ones. If native instruments is having a sale, you know there is a 100% chance whatever is on sale is having a new version released in a couple months. It's the unspoken way of announcing something new without actually having to show it off.

this aint why i buy vintage or at least used usually but its a nice side effect :shrug:

i can understand how this would be a problem but this is rly where i just :smugdog: about my tastes in instruments not tending to rly anything thats latest and greatest

i know it sucks theres a better one coming out but its coming out and today this minute u got a well rated instrument in your hands to play now. keep rockin :unsmith:

e: and ya done got a months worth a practice time :cmon: drop the bass already

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The AHML also had people bitching about resale value of A4s as if synths are an investment or even a store of wealth. That's a conceit you can't even think about unless you want to go nuts.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

this aint why i buy vintage or at least used usually but its a nice side effect :shrug:

Until the vintage thing needs a chip that hasn't been made in 40 years but isn't popular enough somebody built a workalike but is popular enough that they're impossible to find and $99 "untested" as-is from dudes who sell synths and synth parts

It's on all sides- just stop worrying and love the bomb :retrogames:

e- literally the first reply lol

quote:

My excitement was quickly overshadowed and my heart sank when I saw that the rytm is getting an mk2 because of course I'm going to want it (as I pray they fixed/softened the pads) but is this going to kill resale values of all mk1 units? Are going to see sub $500 a4's and $700 rytm mk1s? It's gonna by to royally suck if I sell my units and only get halfway to the cost of an mk2.
also no loving way did they change the pads.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
it's perfectly fine to not understand the concept of value depreciation in a hobby full of vintage monophonic garbage that sells for four digit sums and upwards

condolences to cubicle gangster though, buying a thing one month before the mk2 is just ridiculously bad timing

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You'd think Elektron of all companies would know to make their announcements on Tuesday's so Nick Blatt and company can talk out it on the next day's Sonic Talk. Or even day announce it minutes before -- I know he's done NDAs and press embargoes before.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Nick hasn't even done a digitakt review yet. Not that I'm interested. :f5:

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
i think he said he was waiting for cenk to drop in

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah I'm not arsed about value depreciation or anything - I'd already waited 6 months to get it, and then I finally do get it and because of an insane work schedule I've had 3 proper sessions with it and now there's already one with features I would use a ton of.
I'm still happy with the rytm but it's a kick in the teeth when I already spent time thinking about how much better it would be if it could sample in box.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah I'm not arsed about value depreciation or anything - I'd already waited 6 months to get it, and then I finally do get it and because of an insane work schedule I've had 3 proper sessions with it and now there's already one with features I would use a ton of.
I'm still happy with the rytm but it's a kick in the teeth when I already spent time thinking about how much better it would be if it could sample in box.

Yeah, I've had mine for two plus years now - I love it, I'm glad I got it, but it'd be great if they allowed some sort of hobbled sampling through the input jacks on the Mk 1, especially because they're useless for just about anything else .

Lucky for me I held back on the Octatrack, since I'm debating the value of it since I'm getting a laptop and already own a full version of Live suite.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Honestly all I've wanted on it is resampling. Actual external sampling would just be a nice to have.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Startyde posted:

Honestly all I've wanted on it is resampling. Actual external sampling would just be a nice to have.

Wait, the RYTM doesn't allow resampling? The Machinderum UW does.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tayter Swift posted:

You'd think Elektron of all companies would know to make their announcements on Tuesday's so Nick Blatt and company can talk out it on the next day's Sonic Talk. Or even day announce it minutes before -- I know he's done NDAs and press embargoes before.

Speaking of which (on both counts), I thought it was pretty funny this week when Nick excitedly waved his Digitakt and Octatrack around and two of his guests were like "wait are those two things different products should we be excited about them what exactly does each one do again?"

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Oldstench posted:

Wait, the RYTM doesn't allow resampling? The Machinderum UW does.

Nope! You can only load in samples via USB.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Nope! You can only load in samples via USB.

And not even with some easy class-compliant drag and drop. You have to load it all in via SysEx :negative:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

AND if you happen to drink the kool aid you can't even dump samples or chains from the octatrak because that loving thing can't speak SDS like the others!

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
heckin' bunch of analog rytms popping up on my local used musical trash site and they're all annotated "no haggling", speaking of investing in elektron boxes earlier

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

hug a mexican posted:

heckin' bunch of analog rytms popping up on my local used musical trash site and they're all annotated "no haggling", speaking of investing in elektron boxes earlier

Same here along with some A4s. Tempted since a few are reasonably priced but I'm holding off because I'm miffed about a seller selling his Roland MT32 (asking price of 25 bucks) out from under me despite agreeing on a time and place. I don't know if it'd be a good complement to my Monomachine and OT, or replace the OT, but they're asking for about 300 less than usual.

Bolange posted:

And not even with some easy class-compliant drag and drop. You have to load it all in via SysEx :negative:

That I was not even aware of. Blech.

I love my Monomachine, and the Octatrack was a purchase more or less made out of necessity (Machinedrum died and I was impatient to wait on used ones to pop up), but I'm not that warm on the new Mark II stuff. I don't care for the new look, lame Overbridge implementation, and overhauling a device that's not even three years old. Things that have already been said.

To be fair if they released a new Monomachine with more Yamaha DX-style FM engines I'd get that in a heartbeat.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 8, 2017

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I got a Rings module for my eurorack, and I really like it, especially when run through the Bitrazer. I also really appreciate how little menu diving there is on Rings. I feel like I'm going to end up with the entire Mutable product line by next year.

https://soundcloud.com/joejoejoejoe-4/resonatefun

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
New SE-02 sound demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpKbvRVfI7Q

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Maybe I should have said this earlier, but at the Moog factory the tour guide said the Minimoog was nearing the end of its run due to parts shortages. There were a couple of people working on them, but more were working on the subsequent 37, which was stacked up everywhere. Modular synths had their own floor in a different building with another 6 or 7 working there.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Bolange posted:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sds-drop/id1080035369?mt=12

This takes care of it if your USB is behaving properly (which it usually doesn't).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sonic talk is getting weird

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/884789870216007686

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Tayter Swift posted:

Sonic talk is getting weird

http://www.spin.com/2016/12/conspiracy-king-alex-jones-might-have-a-side-career-as-an-acid-house-musician/