Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

brains posted:

if it still works and performance is adequate, i'd just try to fix the specific hardware issue. the whirring is probably a fan bearing going out, and fans are dirt cheap and easy to replace. hard drives are also very easy to replace, if that is the actual issue. make sure you have backups, regardless.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah it's most likely a fan and at absolute WORST a hard drive, a $120 computer part (I actually doubt it's a hard drive; any hard drive not from the 1990s will not make noise loud enough to hear unless your ear is resting on it and even then it's only if it had been dropped). Do not buy a new computer because of a noise (if you wanna buy one for other reasons that's cool).

Cosign, if you're generally happy with your setup then it's probably cheaper in time and money to figure out what's making the noise and replace it. And chances are good that it's just a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

acksplode posted:

Cosign, if you're generally happy with your setup then it's probably cheaper in time and money to figure out what's making the noise and replace it. And chances are good that it's just a fan.

Yeah, this. Just start touching fans to stop them with a pencil eraser or something. When the noise stops you've found the problem and chances are good it's something that's gonna cost you under $10.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

teagone posted:

What specific mini PC do you have?

Acer Revo One RL85

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I have a dodgy fan on my DAS that's quite annoying. I usually just give it a tap on the top and that resolves for a bit longer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I have a dodgy fan on my DAS that's quite annoying. I usually just give it a tap on the top and that resolves for a bit longer.

I've been known to peel the stickers off of noisy fans, put a drop of machine oil on the hub and put the sticker back on to buy 6+ months of no more noise.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Is there any way to have Sonarr and Radarr not open my web browser every time the server boots up? I am obviously glad that they start with my computer (Windows 10 machine) but I simply would prefer they did not open a browser on boot. Is there any way to do this? I didn't see anything in Sonarr or Radarr settings.

Mine used to do this and it was because somewhere along the line I had added them to startup myself, but they also did it automatically, so it was opening twice. The first time was just starting the process and the second triggered opening the window I guess. Try checking your startup processes and see if it’s in there twice?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nexus6 posted:

I have a local setup for Sonarr/Radarr/Plex. A mini PC running Sonarr & Radarr grabs files then transfers them over the network to the HDD I have attached to a Shield running Plex.

This setup works well and I can access the web interfaces of Sonarr & Radarr to manage them, but it seems my mini PC is on its last legs. It's making a horrendous whirring sound now and I've tried to clean it inside and out but it still happens so I think a hard drive might be failing.

Any recommendations for a new PC or better/alternative setup?

Edit: Seems a lot of posts on Reddit are "Use a PI" "Lern unraid" "Get old PC and put linux on it". I'm kinda looking for something I can just plug in and it'll work
Don't use a pi for this unless to happen to just have one lying around. It'll cost more than $100 once you factor in the accessories you need to buy.

For $150±30 you can find a used Lenovo or HP micropc with 8gb of ram, a small ssd, and a CPU that handles transcoding.

Might be closer to $200 if you want a CPU that can do 4k 10bit hdr.

Then decide if you want to learn about Linux or just keep windows because most of the mini PC's come with a license.

Or as everyone else is saying, just keep using what works and replace a fan.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dammit this is making me want to go get one of those PCs on eBay and throw Ubuntu on it. I just got a pi4 m.2 setup going (it was sitting around doing nothing and I wanted a work box) and I don’t need to go dump out more money.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've already tried opening it to see if it's a fan and it's a PITA to do, but I'll try again. I'm wary of trying Linux because I've done that before and even with Ubuntu I always find myself spending more time trying to get things to work than actually using it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I've already tried opening it to see if it's a fan and it's a PITA to do, but I'll try again. I'm wary of trying Linux because I've done that before and even with Ubuntu I always find myself spending more time trying to get things to work than actually using it.

It's funny, this is exactly how I always wind up interacting with windows.

Go with whatever you're most familiar with, IMHO. It's not 1995 any more and Windows has address space isolation.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Is there any way to have Sonarr and Radarr not open my web browser every time the server boots up? I am obviously glad that they start with my computer (Windows 10 machine) but I simply would prefer they did not open a browser on boot. Is there any way to do this? I didn't see anything in Sonarr or Radarr settings.

I believe if you configure it to run as a service it won't open any windows on boot.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

nexus6 posted:

Just submerge it in mineral oil :shrug:

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

If you decide to go the more complicated route of trying something new I can’t recommend Unraid highly enough.

I’ve used two synology boxes for a years and years now and got tired of having to manage two separate volumes/ wanted better hardware performance.

I repurposed an old machine that I built around 2012 - 2014, i7-2600 970gtx. And everything has been super smooth ever since. There’s a guy on YouTube called SpaceInvader One and he provided super clear step by step guides to everything I wanted to set up. If your interested I suggest checking out a few of his vids before you try anything. Just to spec it out for yourself.

Getting poo poo working was easier in Unraid than it even was in Synology since i would end up with a mix of native apps and docker images in the latter ecosystem and getting them to play easily together was sometimes difficult.

I’ve got plex and all the *arr programs running, I’ve saved over 7.5 tb by having Tdarr running on my directories in the background transcoding everything to h265. I got a reverse proxy setup so people on my plex can hit overseerr and request movies and tv shows, nextcloud set up for cloud sharing.

It’s definitely more work than fixing a fan but after having tried Windows home server, xbmc, plex on windows and on synology, I’ve definitely settled into what I think is the perfect system.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Unraid isn’t even complicated. Initially a bit of a learning curve, but I haven’t even janitored anything in years. My friend has a unraid server in the uk I built him and it runs flawlessly.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Trip report - I can remove 3 out of 4 screws holding the case over the fan. The last one won't budge and my screwdriver can't grip it.

I'll check out those unraid videos.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

This might seem like a simple question, but I have one family member who doesn't want to use Plex because they're fairly private and they don't like the idea of my being able to see what they're watching and when.

Is there any way I can turn logging/tracking for specific users so I can't see their play history or anything? I couldn't see anything when I looked for myself.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Update: back up and running. I had to let Windows repair something, guess it didn't like me trying to open the thing, but it's back to normal now. I couldn't get access to any fans inside the unit so tried cleaning it through the vents again. It sounds better, but not silent.

I've been looking for a reason to replace this thing for a while now - I'm in a small apartment so don't really have another room I can run ethernet cables to tuck it away in. I've seen some options for fanless mini PCs so if this becomes an issue I can't solve I'll start looking into alternatives.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

forest spirit posted:

This might seem like a simple question, but I have one family member who doesn't want to use Plex because they're fairly private and they don't like the idea of my being able to see what they're watching and when.

Is there any way I can turn logging/tracking for specific users so I can't see their play history or anything? I couldn't see anything when I looked for myself.

No, I don't think so. Plus, if you were interested, you could just look to see what file was open while they were connected.

If this family member doesn't feel they can trust another family member, they should probably be buying DVDs.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

forest spirit posted:

lol what is in your library?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Bonzo posted:

HPJ is alive and well...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

forest spirit posted:

Yes, you just did. Way to find that option. Good job.

(seriously.....like they'll know. And since they're so shady about this you know you want to see wtf they are so worried about)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

This person should be relegated to physical media if they are this worried.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Bonzo posted:

I think the actual thing of worst taste in my library is the million dollar extreme adult swim show.

But it's a family member who is just uncomfortable being "monitored" and I am empathetic to that a little.

And actually, is there an easy way to post your library? Not to watch but just see what is in it. I wouldn't mind sharing mine and peeking at what other people have. Most of my poo poo is fairly normal but I imagine everyone is unique and has a few hidden gems

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does this family member use any other streaming services?

I mean, I can understand from a certain angle but it seems a bit silly. I never even checked to see what my mom and sister watch, I could not possibly care less what they watch. It’s my server so I know what’s on it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

forest spirit posted:

But it's a family member who is just uncomfortable being "monitored" and I am empathetic to that a little.

If I really liked them I'd make a one time offer to copy some files to a USB drive they provide. Otherwise I'd tell them to gently caress off and buy some discs or sign up for a streaming service that is 100% guaranteed to be analyzing their viewing habits. If they're simply concerned about making actions that produce evidence of those actions as a byproduct, e.g. server logs, they're a paranoiac who shouldn't be using the internet, or the library for that matter. If they would take your word that their activity isn't being recorded, taking Plex's word for it by proxy, then they're a dim paranoiac to boot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

forest spirit posted:

And actually, is there an easy way to post your library? Not to watch but just see what is in it. I wouldn't mind sharing mine and peeking at what other people have. Most of my poo poo is fairly normal but I imagine everyone is unique and has a few hidden gems

Surely there's a gem in my 4000 hours of Linux ISOs somewhere.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

acksplode posted:

If I really liked them I'd make a one time offer to copy some files to a USB drive they provide.

This is a pro move, seconding.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Make sure to confirm that there probably isn't a rootkit among the files as you hand the drive back, they'll appreciate it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I mean I guess you could just tell them that you pinky swear not to look at their history or just say it won't record anything. But whatever they are using Plex client on is likely collecting app use and calling home.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Every so often I've had someone say "Oh, you can see what I watch?" and all I've ever really said in response is that they're not watching anything I haven't downloaded, so I ain't judging them. Personally I like the feature mainly so I can ask friends what they thought of something I've not gotten around to yet.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Diddler posted:

I believe if you configure it to run as a service it won't open any windows on boot.

Is there an easy way to do this? I found a guide but it seems way too convoluted to be accurate.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Is there an easy way to do this? I found a guide but it seems way too convoluted to be accurate.

I did this: https://www.plexopedia.com/plex-media-server/windows/running-plex-media-server-service/

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
The lifetime PlexPass offer came in at the right time just as I was starting to create a FLAC music library of my 20-year-old mp3 collection. PlexAmp is a great Roon substitution except for the lovely Windows app which looks like it was ported off the smartphone app haphazardly. It doesn't even have a close button!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ugh yeah that's probably why I gave up after finding a guide, it makes updating the programs a pain. Thank you for the link regardless though!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This should still playback on an ATV, right? Main audio track just emitted silence last night when I tested the file, the secondary worked fine (regular DD). Can't recall ever having audio that simply didn't play anything before.

code:
Audio #1
ID                                       : 2
ID in the original source medium         : 4352 (0x1100)
Format                                   : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info                              : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name                          : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID                                 : A_TRUEHD
Duration                                 : 2 h 35 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 3 243 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 5 472 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless
Stream size                              : 3.52 GiB (5%)
Title                                    : Surround 7.1
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Original source medium                   : Blu-ray
Number of dynamic objects                : 11
Bed channel count                        : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration                : LFE

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

This should still playback on an ATV, right? Main audio track just emitted silence last night when I tested the file, the secondary worked fine (regular DD). Can't recall ever having audio that simply didn't play anything before.

code:
Audio #1
ID                                       : 2
ID in the original source medium         : 4352 (0x1100)
Format                                   : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info                              : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name                          : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID                                 : A_TRUEHD
Duration                                 : 2 h 35 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 3 243 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 5 472 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless
Stream size                              : 3.52 GiB (5%)
Title                                    : Surround 7.1
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Original source medium                   : Blu-ray
Number of dynamic objects                : 11
Bed channel count                        : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration                : LFE

Nope, Apple TV does not support True HD.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah must have somehow never defaulted to a True track before. I assumed it would just spit something transcoded out rather than silence. Good to know at least.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just spent the better part of a day finding every episode of HowardTV (Howard Stern's old OnDemand TV show that no longer exists so downloading from usenet is literally the only option) and I managed to track down and obtain 1,802 episodes.

There's no way Plex is going to get even 1% of the episodes tagged properly, which is fine. But is there any way to get the HowardTV entry under my TV shows to show all of the episodes, even if it's just filenames like "HowardTV - Riley Martin & Eric (99) - CPA.avi" ?

Or am I going to have to watch these through Kodi? (which would kind of suck, I'd love to be able to "watch" these while at work or outside the house).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just spent the better part of a day finding every episode of HowardTV (Howard Stern's old OnDemand TV show that no longer exists so downloading from usenet is literally the only option) and I managed to track down and obtain 1,802 episodes.

There's no way Plex is going to get even 1% of the episodes tagged properly, which is fine. But is there any way to get the HowardTV entry under my TV shows to show all of the episodes, even if it's just filenames like "HowardTV - Riley Martin & Eric (99) - CPA.avi" ?

Or am I going to have to watch these through Kodi? (which would kind of suck, I'd love to be able to "watch" these while at work or outside the house).

Plex has a “other videos” library which doesn’t have any metadata matching. You could put them in a separate folder and point the library there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

Plex has a “other videos” library which doesn’t have any metadata matching. You could put them in a separate folder and point the library there.

I thought about that but my "other videos" folder is just a bunch of stuff like home movies and dumps of my old cell phone pics and videos, and on top of that I don't share the folder with any of my family and friends.

There's a HowardTV entry under television shows just fine, I just don't know how to get that one particular show to not worry about metadata.

Now that I think about it, I'd prefer an option in Plex somewhere to show videos in Movies and Television even if they have no metadata. Is there such a thing?