Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

anatomi posted:

On that note, what do I do with trophies? Anyone buying them at a high price? Useful for something?

There's a chapel of sorts very shortly outside the north eastern exit of Novigrad with a person inside who buys them for like 300-500 each, but he never has a lot of money.

I ran across a random event purely out of chance earlier on skellige when a shepherd helped me kill a Siren. I spoke to him and had a short dialogue with him, but I had no indication you could actually do so. It was super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They provide bonuses like +5% experience when killing a certain enemy, bonus gold or increased chance of dismemberment. Their effect is listed in the trophy's description in your inventory. They're equipped onto your horse, Roach.
Yeah, I mean besides that. Was thinking there was another use for 'em, like for potions or such. I've yet to discover a recipe that require a trophy, however.

EDIT: ^^ Thanks!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

anatomi posted:

Yeah, I mean besides that. Was thinking there was another use for 'em, like for potions or such. I've yet to discover a recipe that require a trophy, however.

Nope, none that I've seen.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I apologize for the dumb question, but I'm truly torn.

I've been watching BBC America and I swear to you this game is in every. single. commercial break.

I loved Shadow of Mordor so much I actually finished it. Would I enjoy W3 if I a) haven't played the first two and b) loved the combat in SoM?

I want to buy this. I don't want to regret it because the world is awesome and the story is ok (I'm not so concerned about the story) but the combat isn't engaging.

I'm considering the XBox One version because my PC can't handle it and I understand there's a patch either out or due out very soon.

Advise me, please. I don't have a lot of money to spend after just buying PCars. I genuinely miss SoM.

E: It really does look gorgeous in the store. I don't mind some grinding or a learning curve, I'm more concerned about the actual gameplay (combat).

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 30, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

For my 2 cents, Witcher 3 has better combat than Mordor (but Witcher 3's combat is far from perfect) and the game-world and story are several tiers of quality above Mordor's. They're largely dissimilar games though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, just noticed the Temerian set is a light amrour, not medium. No wonder my signs suddenly dropped in effectiveness. :downs:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I've been watching BBC America and I swear to you this game is in every. single. commercial break.

I loved Shadow of Mordor so much I actually finished it. Would I enjoy W3 if I a) haven't played the first two and b) loved the combat in SoM?

I want to buy this. I don't want to regret it because the world is awesome and the story is ok (I'm not so concerned about the story) but the combat isn't engaging.

I'm considering the XBox One version because my PC can't handle it and I understand there's a patch either out or due out very soon.

Advise me, please. I don't have a lot of money to spend after just buying PCars. I genuinely miss SoM.

Here's the thing, its combat is only vaguely like SoM. It sits in a weird spot between that and something like Dark Souls, where there are blocks and parries and tools at your disposal. Only it doesn't offer the same degree of precision as Dark Souls or the same magnetic "hitting attack will close the distance if I'm relatively close" feel of SoM. You basically get a floaty detached camera that does its own thing and a character that vaguely moves in the direction you press.

It doesn't have a similar flow, either. You're not jamming out attacks and bouncing around like a pinball, looking for danger icons to let you know when to hit your counter button. Combat is more about knowing what type of enemy you're facing and going in with a certain type of sign (magic) prepared, dodging their lunges, manually countering with a few slashes, and maybe tossing a bomb or two.

While I'm critical of combat, it can be engaging when everything comes together. It's just that on the whole there are a few awkward parts that need to be overcome or ignored.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Dr. Faustus posted:

E: It really does look gorgeous in the store. I don't mind some grinding or a learning curve, I'm more concerned about the actual gameplay (combat).
It's not part of the Arkham Asylum-school. Look at gameplay videos to get a feel for it. You can't launch into a group of enemies and expect to survive. You can dodge and roll, but they're not guaranteed savers like in Mordor. Combat's more about preparation and positioning.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
What's the consensus on stealing? I saw a message warning about there being consequences for stealing but I don't know what constitutes stealing or not and how to avoid being caught - or what happens if I am.

Stealing from houses while players are in there?
Stealing from soldier camps in or out of the barracks?

Does the sign switch from 'loot' to 'steal' under certain circumstances?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

What's the consensus on stealing? I saw a message warning about there being consequences for stealing but I don't know what constitutes stealing or not and how to avoid being caught - or what happens if I am.

I loot compulsively and I've never had any consequences.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

You can steal from people's houses and they won't give a poo poo at all. You can steal from anyone really as long as you don't get the prompt that says something like "if you steal, the guards will attack you" when you try to loot. If you proceed to go ahead and take the things, you will be attacked. The Nilfgaard base at the beginning of the game for example.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

If you steal around guards they'll first give you a warning and then attack you if you don't stop. They'll calm down after a while, so you can just run away if you want to.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Dr. Faustus posted:

The world is cool and the story is incredible.

The combat however is servicable at best, I really liked SoM for the combat, but witcher 3 is not even close to being as much fun. I'd say skip it if you really just want it for the combat.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, getting a bit annoyed now with my equipment progression now. Spend ten minutes slogging through a level 22 Hag witch guarding treasure, the equipment is for a level 6 character. Kill a level 8 golem and it drops level 37 equipment. :wtc:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Really bummed that there're a few quests I can't complete because I dove too far into Triss' storyline.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Just wait until Skellige, Yen can help you if you're to far down Triss' quest line.

Elysiume posted:

300 crowns will get you like six bottles of water.

To be fair, pure and safe-to-drink water would be kind of a luxury item in a medieval setting. People tended to keep to weak beer or wine as heir normal everyday drink because either was much easier to keep from becoming foul.

Magni fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 30, 2015

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Magni posted:

Just wait until Skellige, Yen can help you if you're to far down Triss' quest line.

To be fair, pure and safe-to-dink water would be kind of a luxury item in a medieval setting. People tended to keep to weak beer or wine as heir normal everyday drink because either was much easier to keep from becoming foul.

To be fair, there's dragons in the game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

From an RPG standpoint, I only steal from rich people, never from peasants who chip in their last gold to pay Geralt to get rid of their local monster.

Of course we have to define terms here, I consider it "stealing" if I roam around in their house uninvited and take everything from chests and cupboards, someone else might call it "looting"...

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
If its glow is yellow,
It belongs to me, goodfellow.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, at least when Geralt loots their homes he doesn't burn 'em down and piss on the ashes.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

The world is cool and the story is incredible.

The combat however is servicable at best, I really liked SoM for the combat, but witcher 3 is not even close to being as much fun. I'd say skip it if you really just want it for the combat.

I disagree with this. SoM combat was boring as hell, mash attack until a counter pops up, use arrows against berserker and shields. Ad infinium.

With witcher I have a sword with a couple styles to use (dodge and stab, wail, etc), I have at least 8 different bombs I can use with varying effects, I have 12 decoctions to suit different playstyles, probably around 10 smaller potions. And then 5 magic abilities that each has a secondary version. Throw in the crossbow to shoot wyverns out of the sky or finish off a guy Indiana Jones style and the only reason combat could ever be boring is if you choose for it to be.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

The games economy is weird, but I like that you aren't walking around with endless money. I'm level 12 and I still usually just have enough to repair my stuff and buy the occasional big item. Personally I like feeling like the games money is worth enough to think about what I'm gonna buy.

There are probably a hundred ways I haven't found to break the games economy and have a poo poo ton of money but that's how it's been for me at least.

Yeah. So far my primary motivation in side quests have been getting paid as much as possible because fuuuuck am I poor.

I think I turned down some decent sum of money in an early quest out of a misplaced sense of honor and I am seriously regretting that now.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 30, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Is there a way to get one of these cool nilfgaardian plate armor ?
One vendor in Skellige sell a Nilfgardian Pants and Gloves but thats all I found.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
FYI AMD has released a Witcher 3 beta driver.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Nasgate posted:

I disagree with this. SoM combat was boring as hell, mash attack until a counter pops up, use arrows against berserker and shields. Ad infinium.

With witcher I have a sword with a couple styles to use (dodge and stab, wail, etc), I have at least 8 different bombs I can use with varying effects, I have 12 decoctions to suit different playstyles, probably around 10 smaller potions. And then 5 magic abilities that each has a secondary version. Throw in the crossbow to shoot wyverns out of the sky or finish off a guy Indiana Jones style and the only reason combat could ever be boring is if you choose for it to be.

Different strokes and all that. I play this game for the story and the setting, on easy, mashing my sword into monster faces with the occasional sidestep.

I still think that arkham series and SoW combat is fundamentally different. It's more about the rythm as well as using cool combos in the right situation, while the witcher is more about planning out your strategy and stuff.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The "Love's Cruel Snare" sidequest still appear to be broken for me, I've completed Wandering in the Dark and am around level 10 now but where the quest giver should be there's still only an empty field with some guards and "old man"s around it. Is there another thing I need to do to unlock it or is getting it a lost cause on my save at this point?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nasgate posted:

How often do you need to use all those options though, realistically? The Witcher has a ton of options but doesn't really emphasise them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Krogort posted:

Is there a way to get one of these cool nilfgaardian plate armor ?
One vendor in Skellige sell a Nilfgardian Pants and Gloves but thats all I found.

Yeah, it's a heavy armour piece. I've only ever seen it at reasonably high levels though (think 25+).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

I still think that arkham series and SoW combat is fundamentally different. It's more about the rythm as well as using cool combos in the right situation, while the witcher is more about planning out your strategy and stuff.

There is a lot of strategising, sure, but the bulk of the combat is knowing when to push what button. Sign builds are the broad exception to this, as it doesn't really matter when you stunlock something/set something on fire.

poptart_fairy posted:

How often do you need to use all those options though, realistically? The Witcher has a ton of options but doesn't really emphasise them.

Combat in the witcher is great because you can pare it down as much as you want.
Humans aside (because gently caress humans, basically), you can take or leave using oils, bombs, decoctions, potions and signs. The more of them you use the less damage you will likely take and the less swings of your fancy sword you will likely need to make things dead. But you don't need to use any of them.

The game really leaves the amount of effort you want to put into each fight up to you and as a result it really doesn't emphasise any particular path towards making things dead.

That having been said, on harder difficulties if you focus on swords you need to learn when to quick attack, when to strong attack, when to block, when to dodge and when to roll. Sign builds need to know when to use which spell and when the Alternate is better than the main. Potion-y, bomb maker-y, decoction-y people need to know when to do the stuff that affects them.
There is a right and a wrong time to do things and the difference is usually the difference between Geralt being awesome and Geralt being a ragdoll in some cave/alley/clipping issues with trees.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 30, 2015

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

poptart_fairy posted:

I make a point not to meditate too often (feels like cheesing for me, but to each his own), so I end up using pretty much everything. I love stumbling over an overleveled huge beast of some kind, being down on potions and bombs, and trying to get him down with whatever is at my desposal. It also incentivizes me to use concoctions a little - when most everything else is spent I'll gulp down some white honey and try one out.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Feels like stability has become worse the more I play. I'm getting graphics driver crashes too often for the game to be enjoyable now. Might take a break from W3...

I've a question about Higher Vampires - even when Geralt explicitly say "this is a higher vampire", they still transform into Katakans. The Beastiary makes it clear that HV's are something totally different from the humdrum bat-faces. Just a case of the lore not meshing with the gameplay, or something else going on?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Katakan ARE higher vampires. I think the 'high' part of higher vampire refers more to power and sentience.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I guess I haven't met any "real" higher vampires yet, then. Beastiary: "Only a mutual thirst for blood links higher vampires to their distant and much more primitive cousins: ekimmaras, alps, katakans and the like".

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Oh, weird. Maybe these Wiki are wrong then. My guess now switches to lack of time/whatever to make a model for a one off.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
There are some inconsistencies in the lore on occasion.

Read more about vampires here.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Just wanted to mention how beautiful this game is at times. Novigrad at night, with the warmth of the interiors pouring through the refracting windows... Great stuff. And no loading between interiors and exteriors makes a world of difference.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Finally gave up on the 60fps dream and enabled vsync+30fps lock with higher quality.
I'm not sensitive to tearing normally, but drat some of the cutscenes were too brutal to watch :smith:

As a welcome side effect the PC doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner anymore.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 30, 2015

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Gilganixon posted:

I really like Griffin armour and just finished treasure hunting for the enhanced version. What's not to like about it?

E: The sign intensity bonus on the complete set is good, especially if you take School of the Griffin. I enjoy spamming alt Yrden whenever I can and this armour helps make that a nasty thing to do.

Mechanically it's great. Griffin school techniques is awesome because of the crazy stamina regen boost. It lets you play like a pure caster in most fights by hanging back and using signs as your main means of attack. I think most people don't like it because it looks ugly. I also think the adrenaline caster build is more fun because you actually cast more often overall and can chain cast, but you have to be aggressive in melee, and your signs are either weaker, or you have to "charge up" for a while with repeated melee hits to use one really strong spell.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

anatomi posted:

Just wanted to mention how beautiful this game is at times. Novigrad at night, with the warmth of the interiors pouring through the refracting windows... Great stuff. And no loading between interiors and exteriors makes a world of difference.

#witcher1problems

I have a silly question: How do I check how long I've been playing? PC.

It feels like forever, but not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Artelier posted:

#witcher1problems

I have a silly question: How do I check how long I've been playing? PC.

It feels like forever, but not.

It's in your stats if you hit C from inventory. Also gog galaxy/steam if you use those to launch it