Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FuhrerHat posted:

there is no way what they did should be weighed as heavily as something like murder, cmon

The FBI threw an Olympic athlete into a maximum-security prison for five months for the sole crime of lying under oath about performance-enhancing drug use. Her adjoining cellmates were Gerald Ford's failed assassin, a Cuban double-agent within the Pentagon's DIA, and a charming lady who killed a pregnant woman and kidnapped her unborn baby by cutting it out of her body.

The point is, if the Feds are going to throw the book at you, they have the option to do it as hard and as fast as they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

Do you think the same thing would have happened if the Black Panthers had issued threats to shoot anyone opposing them, or to shut down the state assembly until their demands were met?

I don't know, but since we don't have an exactly analogous example I think this is a much fairer comparison than using the example of people in a housing commission shooting at cops trying to execute arrest warrants on the premises.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Young Freud posted:

The FBI threw an Olympic athlete into a maximum-security prison for five months for the sole crime of lying under oath about performance-enhancing drug use. Her adjoining cellmates were Gerald Ford's failed assassin, a Cuban double-agent within the Pentagon's DIA, and a charming lady who killed a pregnant woman and kidnapped her unborn baby by cutting it out of her body.

The point is, if the Feds are going to throw the book at you, they have the option to do it as hard and as fast as they want.

ok i dont like this its bad but why should this validate some public opinion that these people are traitors that should be hung

they didnt open the gates or poison the well or literally any ancient analogy that holds true when sentencing criminals

is sleeping somewhere for something you believe in really something to hang somebody over

(if you answer yes youre bad)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

try them for exactly what they did, and hold them to exactly what they did
thats what law is for

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

FuhrerHat posted:

ok i dont like this its bad but why should this validate some public opinion that these people are traitors that should be hung

they didnt open the gates or poison the well or literally any ancient analogy that holds true when sentencing criminals

is sleeping somewhere for something you believe in really something to hang somebody over

They literally committed treason against the US even by the most restrictive definition.

I say hang them and charge their estranged families for the execution and all the taxpayer money spent on their treason, then dump their corpses in the sea next to Bin Laden.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Sherman didn't burn enough and that's why self righteous punks like this pop up to this day

Red States Delende Est

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

They literally committed treason against the US even by the most restrictive definition.

youre wrong

"Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]." "

this isnt what they did. by any definition.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if youd want to throw the book at these people youd have to throw the book at so many "occupy wall street" protesters

besides the guns, whats different?

edit: moderation is key here. they deserve a second chance at life, but deserve punishment too. we are all david fry~~~

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I say hang them and charge their estranged families for the execution and all the taxpayer money spent on their treason, then dump their corpses in the sea next to Bin Laden.

I think the word you're looking for is "sedition".

quote:

sedition
sɪˈdɪʃ(ə)n

noun
conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.
synonyms: incitement (to riot/rebellion), agitation, rabble-rousing, fomentation (of discontent), troublemaking, provocation, inflaming;

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Lolie posted:

I think the word you're looking for is "sedition".

this is closer, and even so. is the opposition of a political party not seditious? is FOX news and the like not openly asking for objection of the president of the united states of america? why isnt it ok to disagree with the government? why isnt it ok to ask for others to think about their views and disagree too?

sedition is a stupid law and you cant fault a human in unique circumstances for being born hotheaded like the loving apes we are.
i rebelled against my mom. should i go to prison for it?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

FuhrerHat posted:

if youd want to throw the book at these people youd have to throw the book at so many "occupy wall street" protesters

besides the guns, whats different?

edit: moderation is key here. they deserve a second chance at life, but deserve punishment too. we are all david fry~~~

It's mostly the guns I think. Without the guns, it is still a protest and they probably would have been treated more or less the same. Adding guns is a category beyond civil disobedience and we start entering into the revolutionary phase. If they were more competent, the charges would make more sense. They still have to go on trial; they may get the lower end of the sentence.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

nobody get me wrong here. im not defending them. they just should not die or be locked away forever and its weird people think they should

edit: cliven excepted, he's old and that sucks for him

GolfHole has issued a correction as of 09:09 on Feb 14, 2016

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm less afraid of the apolocalypse and more afraid of people who need it to happen because they will never let the rest of us live in peace until it does.

Lol.

Is there a better term for this than crackpot?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

FuhrerHat posted:

nobody get me wrong here. im not defending them. they just should not die or be locked away forever and its weird people think they should

edit: cliven excepted, he's old and that sucks for him

I feel like you are looking for nuanced, thought out positions on the issue. Unfortunately, this is GBS. We photoshop war crimes and laugh about it. Maybe try DnD?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my bad my bad i dont know what came over me, tarp me up

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Moral crisis averted! Back to poo poo posting for our freedoms.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone really think these idiots will learn anything? i bet once they get out they will make a living on some weird militia speaking circuit at freedom fair fun fests or whatever it is they do

its not like they had jobs before this and one of the dudes at the sanctuary made a job of talking about how muslims suck

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
take solace in the fact that they'll blow any money they make on truck payments and alcohol abuse

and the truck will catch fire

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

cumshitter posted:

does anyone really think these idiots will learn anything? i bet once they get out they will make a living on some weird militia speaking circuit at freedom fair fun fests or whatever it is they do

its not like they had jobs before this and one of the dudes at the sanctuary made a job of talking about how muslims suck

No, they are drains on society socially and economically and have been given many a chance to make peace with their lot in life. They tried to get a revolution going, failed, and now will pay the price.
I'm a cold hard chump when it comes to treason and the rules we have for it, they loudly broadcast their intent the whole time and have done their best to remove all doubt. They fought the law and the law won, RIP.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cumshitter posted:

Nah, they're damaged goods. There's already talk about Pete Santelli and Jon Ritzwhatever being informants that sabotaged the Bundys and the militia movement.

For a preview of what post-prison fate might lie in store for any of the Oregon occupiers, google "Ronald Griesacker". He got released in 2004 but Google brings up articles from the '90s, a few from when he was still in prison, but only a forum post from 2012 to 2014 asking the whereabouts of Greisacker. He basically disappeared off the planet, likely because he's poison to the militia types and his activities are closely watched for any type of recidivism by the Feds.

Or poo poo, look up whatever Manson family assassin Squeaky Fromme has been doing since she got released in 2009.

cumshitter posted:

Yeah, Ritzwhatever had a cushy gig being a hate speech provocateur because the minority he's targeted has been a rather popular target for the last fifteen years.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

FuhrerHat posted:

this is closer, and even so. is the opposition of a political party not seditious? is FOX news and the like not openly asking for objection of the president of the united states of america? why isnt it ok to disagree with the government? why isnt it ok to ask for others to think about their views and disagree too?

Hi, I very vocally opposed the republican party throughout the entire Bush presidency and would consider myself aggressively anti-republican and anti-Bush.

I didn't, however, at any point cost taxpayers millions of dollars by taking up arms against the US government, threatening to kill police officers and federal agents, call for open warfare conducted against the American people, and use the internet to demand like-minded people to come kill my "enemies" (the American people and our law enforcement officers) once I was surrounded in my fortress of murder threats and seditious acts.

Sorry to anyone too extremely retarded to see the difference.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FuhrerHat posted:

it is if the thing you believe in is the obstruction and destruction of your own state

it's not like these people actually had any meaningful criticism of how the government works or something it's doing, they just hate the state and think it's bad and shouldn't exist. I have a feeling that if they got their wish for a lawless wasteland and found that they aren't the badass barbarians they think they are then they'd change their minds, but that's besides the point.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
people also forget that the 4 people who were left actually did take pot shots at what they thought was a drone but was more likely a piloted plane

so this wasn't just threats of sedition, at least two of them actually fired their guns

my great-great-great grandfather took over a Federal facility and fired some guns, he was hung for sedition

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

VikingSkull posted:

people also forget that the 4 people who were left actually did take pot shots at what they thought was a drone but was more likely a piloted plane

so this wasn't just threats of sedition, at least two of them actually fired their guns

my great-great-great grandfather took over a Federal facility and fired some guns, he was hung for sedition

same except the three greats and instead of getting hung for sedition he was murdered by jews

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

Since drones are now seen as registered planes by the FAA, there is no real difference if it was a piloted plane or a drone. They'll be facing some steep charges for this alone.

What do you think would happen if you went to your local airport and took pot shots at planes taking off and landing? Same thing that will happen to these guys.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Philthy posted:

Since drones are now seen as registered planes by the FAA, there is no real difference if it was a piloted plane or a drone. They'll be facing some steep charges for this alone.

What do you think would happen if you went to your local airport and took pot shots at planes taking off and landing? Same thing that will happen to these guys.

Please don't let this one get lost in the thousands of other charges.

I seriously want to hear the whackos on twitter try to pseudo-legalese defend them shooting at FAA regulated aircraft.

There's nothing in the constitution about sniping planes!!! :byodood:

The Anime Liker has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Feb 14, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Philthy posted:

I think that was the incident where I said to myself "ok these guys just made the mistake they are going to regret for a long time"

like, that's where their defense transitioned from felonies plead down to probation and monitoring to you are going to a supermax you retard

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They actually shot at the drone? I thought they just talked about it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Entropic posted:

They actually shot at the drone? I thought they just talked about it.

nope, fat man and little twink shouldered rifles on cam and squeezed off 6 or 7 rounds at it

e- this was the day after Tarpman got his lead filling IIRC

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Just another felony on a long list of them.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hope the headlines dont run
"them patriots got 20 years in federal for shootin' a robot!"

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

cumshitter posted:

the cowards who didn't rush to their aid already live in their own fantasy world and they'll spin up another fantasy around this. it's fantasies, all the way down.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it's entirely likely they'll wisen up in their years of prison and attempt to plead to former supporters for modesty only to be ignored forever

sunrise sunset

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
considering that historically life in prison was a punishment not even many nobles were lucky enough to receive for trying to overthrow the government i think they are getting off pretty easy

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

There's nothing in the constitution about sniping planes!!! :byodood:

I love how these people think the Constitution is the infallible, immutable, only legitimate law of the land, like there aren't specifically directions in the constitution for how to make new laws and alter the constitution itself.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
im glad all the rednecks are in jail or dead.

it sure was worth it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FuhrerHat posted:

hope the headlines dont run
"them patriots got 20 years in federal for shootin' a robot!"

I agree - we should give them all slaps on the wrist. Community service, house arrest - that kind of thing.

It will certainly send a message to other armed anti-government idiots that similar behavior won't be tolerated they can pretty much do as they please and nothing major will happen to them.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Geoj posted:

I agree - we should give them all slaps on the wrist. Community service, house arrest - that kind of thing.

It will certainly send a message to other armed anti-government idiots that similar behavior won't be tolerated they can pretty much do as they please and nothing major will happen to them.

Not specifically at you, but this makes me think sending a message with huge rear end jail times is kind of important I mean these guys were trying to psych themselves up for a final showdown under the impression that they would definitely be summarily executed by the corrupt police state so every other idiot like them should see that no, the gov't will take you alive, and give you infinite time outs in prison.

I mean the lady, the fatman's lady, she was sure she'd never see the light of day again and be ineffectual behind prison (and she was right) and was trying to psych herself into a death wish also but I think hers was weaker than the beardo fatman who thought they'd just shoot them.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

It's a sure bet the government is going to use these idiots as examples for their whole pathetic movement. Cliven, on the other hand, will never see the outside world again unless he's in a body bag. Motherfucker made a fool of the government and got arrogant, and that means the last time he'll be in the public eye is when he's crying on the ground, wondering how the government could have given him 250 years in prison.

Then he'll be carted into a supermax in a lovely suicide apron and just left there for the world to forget about him. If his sons are lucky, they might make it out alive, but only to come out when the world has forgotten about them and/or reduced them to a sad joke. "You hear about the inbreds who took over a bird sanctuary to start their revolution?" If you think it's funny now, just wait until that's dropped when these losers are wheeled out of their prison in about fifty to sixty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
They weren't part of the Bundy leadership. I can see them getting leniency based on their sheer stupidity.