Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

How buggy is sperg at this point given its age/if I enjoyed it before should I just switch to ordinator now? I was reading that the biggest issues seem to be the blocking-causing-time-slowdown-forever, the (fixable) slowdown on gaining sneak skill, and apparently that taking the one-handed increased attack speed perks results in a massive attack speed slowdown, any other potential showstoppers?

(this is original skyrim with all addons, not SSE)

I think Sperg is less likely to give you problems than ordinator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
There's no reason to play Oldrim unless you're really into weird sex mods.

Are you into weird sex mods? You must be if you're still playing Oldrim!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fuzz posted:

What about perfectly normal sex mods?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Skwirl posted:

I think Sperg is less likely to give you problems than ordinator.
The most common source of problems will be oldrim itself, frankly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fuzz posted:

Or you're playing on a really old laptop. I tried to run SE once and it just noped the gently caress out.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah. I'm pretty sure my video card would burst into flames trying to run SE, so Oldrim it is.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

:stare: jeez not sex mods, I only just now read the op that I can get sse for free, after I setup all my mods, goddamn

the shame of oldrim alone may make me redo all this poo poo now, wow

e: and apparently since I never bought skyrim til 2017 no SE for me anyway, so on the plus side, no more time spent modding, and on the downside, how dare those fuckers even let me buy the drat thing after SSE came out.

...gonna submit a support ticket anyway to see if I can get a free copy.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 30, 2019

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tempora Mutantur posted:

:stare: jeez not sex mods, I only just now read the op that I can get sse for free, after I setup all my mods, goddamn

e: and apparently since I never bought skyrim til 2017 no SE for me anyway, so on the plus side, no more time spent modding, and on the downside, how dare those fuckers even let me buy the drat thing after SSE came out.
Honestly, if you have an oldrim setup up and running there's no real point to starting over. Not unless you enjoy the act of modding. With the various available fixes like SKSE's memory fix the performance & stability is fine. Go play and actually have some fun.
And go pick up SkyrimSE when it goes for dirt cheap during a sale somewhere.

Also how did you buy it? Oldrim disapeared from the Steam store when SkyrimSE launched.

pyro_archvile
Oct 2, 2011

Not actually an Arch-Vile
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/db4md9/a_message_from_halgari_regarding_progress_on/

So much for Wabbajack.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Why do people spend any amount of time appeasing these impotent morons

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That's ugly nonsense.

Not like I've been using it myself - I have my install set - but. man.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Why do people spend any amount of time appeasing these impotent morons
Because they will not stop shouting, nagging and throwing tantrums until they get their way.
Honestly, that's how we got into this dumb mess. People for who modding is just a way to have fun don't want to deal with the bullshit of a culture war over modding.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 30, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Because they will not stop shouting, nagging and throwing tantrums until they get their way.
Honestly, that's how we got into this dumb mess. People for who modding is just a way to have fun don't want to deal with the bullshit of a culture war over modding.

lol how hard is it to just ignore them. gently caress are they gonna do post at you?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Agean90 posted:

lol how hard is it to just ignore them. gently caress are they gonna do post at you?

There was that Starbound guy that doxxed people who wouldn't join his modpack and tried to tell their family they were pedos.

Like Arthmoor's probably petty enough for that.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Raygereio posted:

Honestly, if you have an oldrim setup up and running there's no real point to starting over. Not unless you enjoy the act of modding. With the various available fixes like SKSE's memory fix the performance & stability is fine. Go play and actually have some fun.
And go pick up SkyrimSE when it goes for dirt cheap during a sale somewhere.

Also how did you buy it? Oldrim disapeared from the Steam store when SkyrimSE launched.

I'm honestly not sure how I bought it because my steam history only shows the three DLC in 2017, no legendary edition or main Skyrim purchase. I know I didn't buy it outside of steam, and I also didn't buy it till waaay after everyone else did, so not really sure at all.

But yeah it's up and running so just gonna enjoy it; of steam support gives me free se tho, I do enjoy modding, and I could use mo2 instead oldmo...

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agean90 posted:

Yes. They and their own little fanbase. Saying "just ignore it" is really easy when you're not the one who has the deal these idiots yelling at you.
You're really underestimating how tiresome having to deal with that is. Not everyone is motivated by spite, and when when the hobby you do for fun starts to involve having to delete hatemail, it quickly stops being fun.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Yes. They and their own little fanbase. Saying "just ignore it" is really easy when you're not the one who has the deal these idiots yelling at you.
You're really underestimating how tiresome having to deal with that is. Not everyone is motivated by spite, and when when the hobby you do for fun starts to involve having to delete hatemail, it quickly stops being fun.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712?lang=en

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Raygereio posted:

It's extremely easy to ignore lmao what are you talking about, I know personally what it's like. The communities are different Minecraft's was quite a bit larger.
Suppose being powered by spite was involved but it was mostly because players are more important than modders, and I stand by that to this day :colbert:

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

quote:

The permissions currently in place are:
* CanExtractBSAs - When this is set to `false` Wabbajack will not extract any files from the flagged BSA. Doesn't really affect most mod users
* CanModifyAssets - When set to false, Wabbajack won't binary patch this mod's dds, png, psc, pex, or nif files. Also rather rare operation
* CanModifyESPs - When set to false Wabbajack won't binary patch this mod's ESPs or ESMs. This a modlist author won't be able to clean, form 44 convert, flag as ESL, or perform other xEdit tasks on the file and have the propagated by WJ.
* CanUseInOtherGames - When set to false, Wabbajack will refuse to use this mod in any other game than the one the mod was found under in the Nexus.

Awesome. What a fun group of people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Parlour modding is the bane of efficiency and user friendly systems.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I hope TES 6 modding is finally free of these little freaks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I hope they die!!! :twisted:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Average Bear posted:

I hope TES 6 modding is finally free of these little freaks.

Your choices will be these guys or paid Bethesda cc mods.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I choose Logic and Reason.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

These dudes largely hopped on the paid cc mod train too, it just didn't pan out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's too bad Wrye didn't stick around after Oblivion, he was at least as cantankerous as Arthmoor but he was pro-Cathedral modding.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

It's too bad Wrye didn't stick around after Oblivion, he was at least as cantankerous as Arthmoor but he was pro-Cathedral modding.

I've always figured that Arthmoor et al were the major reason Wrye left.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I thought Wrye was alright really?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I thought Wrye was alright really?
He was.
I wonder if Arthmoor ever realizes that the only reason he can still cling to his precious WryeBash was because Wrye was a cool dude who wanted to share stuff with the community and often pushed back against the whole mod-copyright nonsense. Probably not.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

what has arthmoor even done? i looked at the files he's uploaded onto nexus and a lot of them are either added buildings to small villages or textures. paarthurnax dilemma and bug fixes seem like the only major ones out of the 100 that he's uploaded. why doesn't everyone just tell him to gently caress himself?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Because he's taken over management of the de facto core mod for all Skyrim builds and nobody wants to get in a pissing match with him because no matter what happens, you end up covered in piss.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

what has arthmoor even done? i looked at the files he's uploaded onto nexus and a lot of them are either added buildings to small villages or textures. paarthurnax dilemma and bug fixes seem like the only major ones out of the 100 that he's uploaded. why doesn't everyone just tell him to gently caress himself?

Literally everyone who mods Skyrim uses his bug fixes. And Open Cities is probably the other major mod.

If he abandoned modding I bet things would come out to supplant that (especially the bug fixes, because i'm pretty sure that's a group effort).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Rainbow Knight posted:

He did a visual mod for Oblivion, that prevents things like trees and stuff just suddenly popping into view, while also not bringing your computer to its knees, like some mods of that type do. I use it still, whenever I do a round of "Install Oblivion, mod the poo poo out of it, play for a couple hours, then leave it for like a year".

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

got it. so he hasn't done anything important and if he takes his ball and goes home he won't be missed. that was the understanding that this thread has communicated, but i just had to make sure.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

At the extreme end it's basically a grand bluff that if he somehow got the unofficial patches pulled from Nexus, people would not just pirate it, continue development on "unauthorized" forks, etc. in sufficient numbers that things would just keep trucking on without him. Which would change the face of Skyrim modding for the better by breaking the effective Nexus near-monopoly or push Nexus to stop pandering to him and his type.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
How big of a task would it be to reverse engineer the patch mod with novel code to excise him from the one thing that gives him perceived leverage? I imagine the answer is, "quite a bit, especially for a niche hobby project."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Everyone who uses the unofficial patch has a copy of it all on their computer. There are no hidden parts. You can open them all up in xEdit and/or Creation Kit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Everyone who uses the unofficial patch has a copy of it all on their computer. There are no hidden parts. You can open them all up in xEdit and/or Creation Kit.

Yeah, but recreating it without copying any of it would be a pretty huge task.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but recreating it without copying any of it would be a pretty huge task.

So copy it anyway, what is someone going to do call the police? How many ways can you bug fix things and is that even sometimes that can be owned as a concept?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah what I'm basically saying is that if he for real tried to take his ball home with him, lots of people would suddenly be much less likely to give a poo poo about the set of bullshit Nexus-backed gentlemen's agreements that constitute "mod author's rights" including whatever courtesy version of completely unenforceable copyright they're currently respecting. But since no one really wants to take that step and he hasn't really forced anyone to, he can bluster and holler until he gets his way and the status quo rumbles on.