Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Lemon-Lime posted:

I went back and checked and it's worse than I remembered, and does indeed suck.

The RPM arms race loving sucks and is entirely due to every single weapon one-shotting on a headshot.

You don't get it, man. The Clancy brand adheres to realism. *gets killed by a double shotgun blast to a toe*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The game would get pretty loving grim if it removed the foot and had the now crippled and in severe pain operator howling on the floor, bleeding everywhere and requiring first aid to not just bleed out on the spot.

Rag dolling is fine instead.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

The game would get pretty loving grim if it removed the foot and had the now crippled and in severe pain operator howling on the floor, bleeding everywhere and requiring first aid to not just bleed out on the spot.

I dunno, you could grab the dudes leg and make a wet surface to electrify with bandits battery. Could open up new meta.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
give glaz a ptrd that knocks limbs off and trigger whatever traps they land on

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Gamerofthegame posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V0yeHuSV5U

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

there is a top secret [[redacted]] advanced dokkaebi strat where you prank phone call the enemy team immediately when the round starts and ask them what their favorite scary movie is.

then when they hang up, you immediately call back and run around the objective banging windows out but don't breach till the last 30seconds

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dokkaebi using her ability at the start of the round to annoy OPFOR is pretty funny

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Dokkaebi using her ability at the start of the round to annoy OPFOR is pretty funny

Well I just discovered if you are standing in the radius of a mute jammer she can't send you dick pics

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BadLlama posted:

Well I just discovered if you are standing in the radius of a mute jammer she can't send you dick pics

This is basically the only extra purpose the jammer has that actually makes sense

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I find it pretty weird that in casual you can use thatcher and thermite often, but ranked they basically never come up because everyone just goes through doors anything below silver I guess

occasionally a hibana eats a hatch

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ubisoft can literally turn this game into a billion dollar franchise if they sold custom Dokkaebi ringtones curated from the worst songs around.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

placement matches are terrible. we were playing on the snowmobile map. we had a hibana, sledge and thermite. everyone decides to push one single hallway, all 5 of us (they were following me for some reason, even as defenders, I'd have about 2 teammates right on me when I roamed, it was very strange). I kept asking if hibana could go outside and open up the garage doors to give us multiple points of attack, but nope.

I ended up getting owned by caveira sneaking up on me as I made my way to the other side of the house. 4 other teammates pretty much sat in the hallway playing a game of shoot the pixel. for the entire round. just 4 guys staying down the hall, shooting towards the objective, accomplishing nothing. and the defenders had a field day, they only had to worry about that one angle. yikes.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't wanna do placement matches agaiiiiiiiiiin

I just finished dragging myself back to Gold from Bronze last season

Qubee
May 31, 2013

it's a horrifying experience. and the enemy team always has one guy who gets 90% of the kills and is a walking demigod. the type that'll peek you and headshot you in under a second. my playtime at the start of the new season tanks, cause I find placement matches so awful, I can only manage one or two games every few days before I take a break from it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I don't care much for ranked so I do placements after two or three weeks once things have stabilised a bit. Never got around to doing placements in blood orchid tho lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You were one of the lucky ones

polka
May 10, 2007

Going up!

Party Plane Jones posted:

We've played against this guy before on Kanal, he's definitely hacking. Surprised he wasn't banned yet ( :rip: Hard)

Didn't take a screenshot but this guy just got banned tonight.

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

algebra testes posted:

I am extremely bad at this game but I will play ranked with aus goons.

Add "NEW NAME "whizzboy"" on steam buddy, we'll get this going. I, also, am extremely bad.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vooze posted:

Add "NEW NAME "whizzboy"" on steam buddy, we'll get this going. I, also, am extremely bad.

done

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

polka posted:

Didn't take a screenshot but this guy just got banned tonight.

The system works!

(When you put together a clip show, upload it, then provide a link in the report you fill out on the website)

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Vooze posted:

Not the guy but I did anyway. I have it on my uplay account only though

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Friends finally harassed me into getting this game and it's incredibly overwhelming at first. You just feel utterly clueless. I still have no idea what to do as a defender. Everyone time someone says "hey come fortify this wall" I'm like "please explain why to me, i do not understand why THIS wall is one I should be fortifying instead of THIS one". Stuff like that.

I just play as rook and poop out armor then hide in a corner and do callouts on the one camera out of 7 or whatever that hasn't already been shot (why are camera placements static?).

I lucked out and got Ash as one of my random mooks to play, so I think I'm squared away for attackers. For defenders I have a weird urge to play Caveira, to force myself to learn the maps. Right now since I just hide in the objective room during defense I don't feel like I'm learning anything. Other than her I have no real interest in the other defenders (maybe pulse, I guess).

Talk me out of it if it's a stupid idea, but I want to 'main' her for a bit to learn the game up.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Sounds like you hosed up and bought the starter edition.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kaedric posted:

Friends finally harassed me into getting this game and it's incredibly overwhelming at first. You just feel utterly clueless. I still have no idea what to do as a defender. Everyone time someone says "hey come fortify this wall" I'm like "please explain why to me, i do not understand why THIS wall is one I should be fortifying instead of THIS one". Stuff like that.

I just play as rook and poop out armor then hide in a corner and do callouts on the one camera out of 7 or whatever that hasn't already been shot (why are camera placements static?).

I lucked out and got Ash as one of my random mooks to play, so I think I'm squared away for attackers. For defenders I have a weird urge to play Caveira, to force myself to learn the maps. Right now since I just hide in the objective room during defense I don't feel like I'm learning anything. Other than her I have no real interest in the other defenders (maybe pulse, I guess).

Talk me out of it if it's a stupid idea, but I want to 'main' her for a bit to learn the game up.

As a general rule of thumb, you want to set up fortifications in such a way that they force attackers to enter from directions that you can more easily defend. In my (admittedly still somewhat limited) experience, the list of places important to fortify is something like:
-Any wall that leads from your objective room to the outside of the building, such as in Hereford. Otherwise these can allow attackers a relatively very safe way of opening up new lines of fire at little risk to themselves.
-Any trapdoor that leads down into your objective room.
-Any wall that leads into your objective room that doesn't also have a door in it.
-Any wall, even a bit distant, that is the only way to enter the building from a particular direction. Usually these tend to be garage doors.

Places that you should avoid putting fortifications on (unless asked to):
-Any trapdoor leading out of your objective room to a lower level. These can be very handy for quickly repositioning and taking the attackers in the back, while not being that much of a risk to you in return.
-Any wall through which you can't actually enter the objective room (e.g. because it's elevated next to stairs, like the kid's bedroom in House). Here it can be more useful leaving a small hole to add a new line of fire for the attackers to worry about as they approach to the actual entrance.
-In the bomb gamemode, walls between the two bombs. Usually it's more useful for the defenders to blow a hole into one of those to quickly reposition if needed.
-Any wall that a Mira wants to put a window into un-fortified. Basically if you've got a Mira in your team just wait to see where she puts them before fortifying.

Anyhow, Caveira is fun and good, but note that she's by far not the only character who can go roaming (though she is very good at it). Technically any character can do it, though the faster ones are better at it. For the beginning, just plop yourself down somewhere a bit distant from the objective room, check where the attackers come from with cameras and sound, and start (quietly) moving there in a roundabout route to get them from the side or back. If you've lost track of them, you can do circuits along the outer perimeter of the building and converge onto any gunfire. Over time, you'll get a feeling for which routes and entrances you need to keep an eye out for in particular.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Jedrick posted:

Sounds like you hosed up and bought the starter edition.

>=(

Solid-rear end advice. That actually helps a ton

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Starter Edition is a hosed up scam and should either be removed, or have an option to upgrade to the standard edition. Standard goes on sale to the tune of $20 every so often, and you'll spend something like 100 less hours to unlock operators.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Perestroika posted:

Anyhow, Caveira is fun and good, but note that she's by far not the only character who can go roaming (though she is very good at it). Technically any character can do it, though the faster ones are better at it. For the beginning, just plop yourself down somewhere a bit distant from the objective room, check where the attackers come from with cameras and sound, and start (quietly) moving there in a roundabout route to get them from the side or back. If you've lost track of them, you can do circuits along the outer perimeter of the building and converge onto any gunfire. Over time, you'll get a feeling for which routes and entrances you need to keep an eye out for in particular.

Don't play Cav. Cav is terrible.

I only play Cav

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kaedric posted:

Just my two cents, don't take it as gospel: I personally think it's a bad idea taking Cav when you're still very new to the game. Cav's entire purpose is to roam, down enemies and interrogate. Your map knowledge will be next to nothing, so you'll be fumbling about in the dark, providing nothing in terms of help to your team. It's way better to pick another fast operator, since almost all other operators have some form of gadget that aids the team. Bandit is great for roaming, and his little battery packs can help prevent attackers from breaching walls. Frost is a decent roamer too, and her traps are nifty for slowing attackers down or instantly injuring one if they're not careful.

I know most of the maps inside out now, and even I'm hesitant to pick Cav, cause it's really easy to just get wiped out and give nothing to your team. Instead, I pick Bandit or Mute and roam with them after helping defend the objective with my gadgets.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Rook and Doc are both very good starting defenders.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

slap me and kiss me posted:

Rook and Doc are both very good starting defenders.

Kapkan is really good to start with now as well. Good way to learn the "trap flow" of maps.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Cav if you're not going straight out for her interrogations is one of the easier operators to play because her weapons are so strong. That pistol with the new recoil is a monster.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Starter Edition is a hosed up scam and should either be removed, or have an option to upgrade to the standard edition. Standard goes on sale to the tune of $20 every so often, and you'll spend something like 100 less hours to unlock operators.

I bought the starter edition and the grind is nothing to sneeze at. 2 months in and I have like 2/3rds of the original operators unlocked.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Party Plane Jones posted:

Cav if you're not going straight out for her interrogations is one of the easier operators to play because her weapons are so strong. That pistol with the new recoil is a monster.

Down a dude, wait for friend to come for rescue.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Tumble posted:

Kapkan is really good to start with now as well. Good way to learn the "trap flow" of maps.

How much damage do Kapkan traps do now? I know it's not an instakill anymore at least.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

SpazmasterX posted:

How much damage do Kapkan traps do now? I know it's not an instakill anymore at least.

~60/50/40 depending on your armor level.

Unless the people you're facing are supremely retarded new Kapkan is way better. And even then you're going to do ~250 damage instead of 300.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
I'm finding Cav to be a good bit more tense worrying about a potential Dokk call now.

Kinda nice actually.

Still get the power trip of using Cav's guns since she can hold her own with pretty much anyone, but you no longer can just assume that your sick spot under a sink is 100% hidden anymore.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Her pistol is stupid as hell.

Which attackers get smoke grenades these days?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 8, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Q8ee posted:

Just my two cents, don't take it as gospel: I personally think it's a bad idea taking Cav when you're still very new to the game. Cav's entire purpose is to roam, down enemies and interrogate. Your map knowledge will be next to nothing, so you'll be fumbling about in the dark, providing nothing in terms of help to your team.

cav owns and was the first character i bought (with $5 lol) which directly helped me get map knowledge. she was fun even before the pistol buff.

roaming is a great way to learn the game. dont think i would know nearly half the angles i do now without that sort of exploration. but the best part of this game is not knowing the maps. the new map rules for this, its huge and confusing but once you rely on your headphones and intuition you'll do alright.

learning the older maps will come naturally when some rear end in a top hat kills you with a 3 pixel bottleneck angle that he's been camping for 2 minutes you can just add it to the growing list of "ways i died" and learn from it until you are an elite cyber operator

also anyone can pick literally any character they like in this game and "main" them and do alright so imo i would recommend just focusing on the ones that interest you personally for whatever reason at all. even if you're casual you'll eventually play them all if you find that you like this game and play it somewhat regularly.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol thanks ubi for always adding new ways to kill other players:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Whats this about zombie mode? Not sure it fits the theme

• Locked thread