Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

This is why I don't play Limited anymore :saddowns:

I used to dread limited, but I have warmed up to it. It also helps that I draft with idiots and then I tie with people that make 50-60 card decks in draft and lose all confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Elyv posted:

That card seems incredibly mediocre to me, even in limited. The green half being a sorcery is just so awkward.

It seems like you want to use the green side when you know you can't get got, and the white side is for whenever you want to make your alpha attack. Sometimes both work together, especially with the trample damage. It think it's fine in a GW deck that wants to beat down.

E:VV Yep.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 27, 2017

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

TheMaestroso posted:

It seems like you want to use the green side when you know you can't get got, and the white side is for whenever you want to make your alpha attack. Sometimes both work together, especially with the trample damage. It think it's fine in a GW deck that wants to beat down.

It's the hardest type of aftermath to evaluate because neither side is playable on its own.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

I mean, to me it either sums up as a bad falter or a way to get in damage over two turns while forcing your opponents to have awkward blocks. Falters aren't unplayable in limited, but they're pretty conditional, and I think this falls into that space.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I think the green side is just a bonus, and you are playing it almost entirely for the busted white side. Giving your team vigilance is strong, and certainly tapping two creatures would have been great in AKH where people routinely rely on chump blockers to race. I think the green is mostly to keep it from being played in every white deck.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

3 mana Get In For Huge is kinda ridiculous especially with exert being strong in G/W for amonkhet creatures.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Did you take the job I'm applying for?

Did you apply for the vacancy at the rear end-kicking factory?

Marketing New Brain posted:

Not quite as good as Prepare//Fight where you would splash it, but the white half alone is quite strong especially in two exert colors.

Would it really have killed them to make the green half an instant?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Strength in Numbers is a legit trick

In fact, it's better than this entire thing, even if you're in GW

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'll gladly run the white trial in W/G or W/R without any Cartouches for the vigilance alone. Even if you're _only_ keeping a gust walker from exerting and giving one of your ground pounders +3/+3 and trample and tapping down two of their chump blockers to make them block with something relevant it is a big card.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

It would need to cost 1G or 2G to be balanced. And not give Trample.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

that card is kind of interesting in like a lovely fnm W/g humans deck

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
That's a bomb diggity uncommon

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's stone unplayable in constructed but giving your team vigilance in exert colors is limited murder. It's not Trial of Solidarity, but it doesn't have to be.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Voyager I posted:

It's stone unplayable in constructed but giving your team vigilance in exert colors is limited murder. It's not Trial of Solidarity, but it doesn't have to be.

As far as I can tell nothing in this set is constructed playable other than Abrade and Solemnity out of the board.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

As far as I can tell nothing in this set is constructed playable other than Abrade and Solemnity out of the board.

Are you talking just standard?

Because Crucible man is very playable in Modern at least

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are you talking just standard?

Because Crucible man is very playable

Crucible man is pre-ordered and I'm salivating for him. So is solemnity.

Did you apply for the vacancy at the rear end-kicking factory?

Nah the Honda factory

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think that aftermath card should just be evaluated as its full text and cost, and it's not exciting but it's not a bad 23rd card in GW.

Angry Grimace posted:

There's a couple maybe cards but this set has the lowest pre-orders I think I've ever seen. CFB's #2 is at $6.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Crucible man is pre-ordered

Good call

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Yeah G/W card will be usually game ending when cast in a decent aggro deck. Make a guy huge, tap their best two creatures, attack for a ton, putting them dead on board to your guys (maybe some with afflict) or near-dead (forcing them to hold back and soon dead to fliers/afflict). Just not very good when your behind, so not a real bomb in all decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

That card seems incredibly mediocre to me, even in limited. The green half being a sorcery is just so awkward.

I think it's fine. It's gonna play better than it looks. (In limited)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

myDad posted:

Good call

Its a buy-a-box, I don't think the price can skyrocket that much. What I really would like to see is Crucible price go down a little bit.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Any recommendations for a decent LGS in Columbus, Ohio? Relocating there for job/family reasons.

Congrats. Comic town seems like it has a shitton of events.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

Its a buy-a-box, I don't think the price can skyrocket that much. What I really would like to see is Crucible price go down a little bit.
It's not a buy a box, it's the release weekend card, which they make tooooons of. Edit: Although they changed the name to Draft Weekend so I wouldn't be surprised if they're harder to come by or something incredibly stupid.

The buy a box is dumpster fire all-star Wildfire Eternal (actually maybe it's good, I don't know, but it's pretty contradictory)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

logis posted:

Yeah G/W card will be usually game ending when cast in a decent aggro deck. Make a guy huge, tap their best two creatures, attack for a ton, putting them dead on board to your guys (maybe some with afflict) or near-dead (forcing them to hold back and soon dead to fliers/afflict). Just not very good when your behind, so not a real bomb in all decks.

The G half is almost a drawback. The extra damage and trample on your best ground beater is real, but you can't put it in RW exert decks.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
wotc finally printed me in card form:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

This card is really interesting, it's not hard for it to be 0-1 mana if you happen to be discarding a bunch of cards anyway.

If nothing else, it's more hardcastable than random trash in living end

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Turbofog is mtggoldfish budget magic, it'll be everywhere now

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Elyv posted:

This card is really interesting, it's not hard for it to be 0-1 mana if you happen to be discarding a bunch of cards anyway.

If nothing else, it's more hardcastable than random trash in living end

Cathartic Reunion + this seems like a pretty dece play on turn 3 (e: in standard).

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 27, 2017

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Well, this is certainly something living end might run. It seems like this whole block has been really sweet to that deck, frankly.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Doesn't this slot into that gimmicky noose constrictor/Lupine Prototype deck really well? Discarding 2 cards and getting a 1 mana 4/4 seems pretty great.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

AKH was my first draft format so I'm pretty new here. Are all the gods/Planeswalker reliant cards in this set going to make drafting and sealed deck more luck based than in the current set? There also seem to be some high-cost cards that'll be basically unplayable in draft, but that seems to always be the case.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheMaestroso posted:

Cathartic Reunion + this seems like a pretty dece play on turn 3 (e: in standard).

You can play that on turn 2 with reunion. (EDIT: Nevermind I am dumb)

Fun Deck Time.
I've been playing this a little bit, and it seems really strong. It may not be as explosive as U/R Emerge, but it feels very consistent with the Tracker/Rogue Refiner game it has going for itself.

23 Lands (2 of them sanctum of ugin)

4x Elder Deep-Fiend
4x Rogue Refiner
4x Primal Druid (I am wanting to test sylvan advocate in its place)
3x Tireless Tracker
3x Ishkanah the Grafwidow
1x World Breaker

4x Kozilek's Return
4x Traverse the Ulvenwald
4x Lightning Harness
4x Vessel of Nascency
2x Grapple with the Past

SB:
3x Negate
2x Dispel
4x Fevered Visions
1x Appetite for the unnatural
1x By Force
2x Magma Spray
2x Confiscation Coup

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Carl Killer Miller posted:

AKH was my first draft format so I'm pretty new here. Are all the gods/Planeswalker reliant cards in this set going to make drafting and sealed deck more luck based than in the current set? There also seem to be some high-cost cards that'll be basically unplayable in draft, but that seems to always be the case.

Sealed is almost always bomb-centric, and what you open can vary wildly. Some people get lucky and open multiples of good cards in their colors. Most others manage to piece together a playable deck of two or three colors.

E:

DangerDongs posted:

You can play that on turn 2 with reunion.

It only makes you ditch two cards to draw three - you would need to ditch three for a free golem.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

So I had another FLGS Magic Player help me put a deck together this weekend and I'm working on refining it. Anyone mind taking a look at it and giving me suggestions for better cards / if barking up this tree is a dumb idea?

It's a B/W control deck that deck stats is also telling me isn't Standard Legal currently and I'm not sure why. I don't see any banned cards in it but I also am tired so I might be missing something obvious.

https://deckstats.net/decks/89174/759247-quidnose-b-w-lockdown

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Serra Angel Victory's Herald looks out of place

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

myDad posted:

Serra Angel Victory's Herald looks out of place

It's standard-legal since it was printed in one of the welcome decks. But it looks like whatever source deckstats is using doesn't realize that?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Voyager I posted:

The G half is almost a drawback. The extra damage and trample on your best ground beater is real, but you can't put it in RW exert decks.

The card is pretty absurd if the modes were switched, where you cast the white half and aftermathed the green half.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

1GW for 'one of your creatures GETS HUGE and tramples, it and the rest of your stuff get vigilance and can exert and also two of your opponent's blockers are tapped' seems Pretty Good for limited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

TwistedNails posted:

Turbofog is mtggoldfish budget magic, it'll be everywhere now
Watching the videos, I can understand why Hetfield loves it so much.

I want one. :stwoon: