Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Looks like Wilbur is going full goon. It's never a good idea to go full goon.

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 10, 1963)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wilbur hikikomori arc off to a strong start.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Could we maybe get the Mary Worth strips at a resolution higher than 525x158? I used to be able to click the image for the full resolution, but now it just sends me to the imgbb home page.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
USA today has bigger size, if you need a good source
https://eu.usatoday.com/comics/?content_id=mw01&feat_name=maryworth

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Vox Valentine posted:

"GET THE gently caress BACK HERE COYOTE BOY, YOU'RE GOIN' IN THE PROTAGONIST POLYCULE"

Christ, it's impossible not to hate these fuckers. Their reason for doing this is something as banal as "we're curious and think you don't belong here." Meanwhile, the guy's motivation is "Total secrecy is the only way I can ensure survival in this dystopian rabbit hellscape." Leave him in peace!

If Holbrook even had an iota of self-awareness, he might realize he's written the Good Guys as a pack of relentless predators circling around to corner and trap its prey.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I know the punchline is supposed to be that FOOBmom totally remembers every bad thing her kids do, but it really hits differently when you can read the comic in huge batches and see how the mom only ever complains about how her children are terrible slobs and ingrates. And that's not even getting into the whole semi-autobiographical aspect of the comic.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

amigolupus posted:

I know the punchline is supposed to be that FOOBmom totally remembers every bad thing her kids do, but it really hits differently when you can read the comic in huge batches and see how the mom only ever complains about how her children are terrible slobs and ingrates. And that's not even getting into the whole semi-autobiographical aspect of the comic.
Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything but I was thinking "buuuuullpoo poo" really, really hard.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/20/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/23/1994)

Ziggy

(12/21/1971)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

That one didn't age well, did it?

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/10/04

Brenda Starr 3/9-11/53

Smokey Stover 6/18/61

Everyday Movies 10/30/37

"Her birthday is the same as Shirley Temple's, but I don't really believe it means a thing."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/6-8/43

Closer Than We Think! 6/18/61

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/6-8/43

SPLAT! :)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hell yeah, lady! Splat that stupid rear end in a top hat to infinity and beyond.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They call her Legs but you should see her arms!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I don't know whether to make an MST3K reference about how death rays should be for peaceful purposes only, or simply note that Vana seems to have combined a Sybian with the Demon Core. :science:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

It's a magical world, Hans, ol' buddy... let's go exploring!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 14, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (July 9-11, 1936)

Thimble Theater (December 14, 1940)

Out Our Way (August 31-September 2, 1944)

I've been cleaning these up lately, but this one's a little...much.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

"now excuse me while I harp on every mistake you've ever made, real or imagined, in my comic strip for all the world to see for the next several decades"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

gently caress him up, Legs! Starting to think the author has a thing for tall women kicking rear end. :v:

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Didn't Harry smirk-brag about them playing for a Ukraine fundraiser? I thought people who participate in fundraisers are volunteers so I'm just confused why this old bat is getting a paycheck.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

She's lying, kid. That's the whole basis of the comic.

edit: ah hell, there was another page of people pointing this out.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Romp Time is Over!

FoxTrot Classix

Non Sequitur

Live Laugh Love

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Alice is so great.

I like how MexiKid has a double Charley Brown hairstyle. It makes just as much sense.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Nell Brinkley(March 16, 1908)

quote:

THE BETTY OF BILLY'S DREAMS
"He Dreams of Things That Are Going to Be"--Nell Brinkley

BILLY is a dreamer of dreams, too. He's got all kinds of dreams tucked away under his nice pate that Betty doesn't know about, unless he tells some of the dreams to her sometimes.

If he's a very bold, gay, debonair Billy, who holds up his chain and isn't afraid of any Betty in the whole, wide world-why, then, surely he'll tell her the foolish,
funny dream.

But if he's a poor, blessed Billy who loves his Betty like anything, but sits with his knees pushed close together and his collar chokes him when he tries to tell her those dreams, and a little crawl slides, up his back and makes him get cold under the hair-that Billy doesn't tell the dreams that he dreams about his Betty.

Wonderful Dreams.

But he hikes along the street the day after he has seen his own Particular Betty, and the dreams string themselves out in long rows and sing to him and make him smile to himself.

And they are mighty fine, wonderful dreams, with Betty in 'em.

And sometimes Betty's fluffs are all tied up in a whopping big apron, and she's stirring things and looking at the sniffy things with little white wraiths curling up that are singing on the range.

And then she's setting all the shiny things, the glass and the silver, on the table that isn't so very big, with a little stop and a pat for the special place that will be his.

And then she's waiting for him, with her little nose smashed up against the window glass, and her hair down in her eyes.

And when she meets him at the door, that's a Special Particular Dream, all by itself-and it makes a big breath to swell up in Billy's chest, and he doesn't hear what you say to him then.

Sometimes, very far apart, he dreams of Betty and the jelly that won't get nice and shaky, but just stays so you can drink it; or hard, black little guys of biscuits, and Betty all soaked and howling in tears when he comes home.

And he dreams that he will eat those biscuits or die the death of a rag baby, because it will be very fine to have Betty cry on his vest and tell him all about it, and he is very big and broad, and he can cuddle Betty and make it all nice and fine. And then she'll smile again and tell him lots of things that are very nice to be told.

Are Going to Be.

Billy dreams of very many things that are going to be, with Betty in them, and mostly they are those wonderful dreams of when Betty is 'sclusively his own, with the world away off somewhere away from her, when he tucks her into the place that he had made for her to sing and be gay and keep house and keep his heart from getting old and tired when it's weary.

Billy doesn't dream of his Betty all fine and shining like a star at the opera. What he dreams is simpler and sweeter and tenderer than that.

And, if Billy only always knew it, most of the Bettys dream that, too, and like that best of all.

One very wise Betty, who was most pretty, too, sent for her Particular Billy to hike himself up to dinner that night-just a little one, she said-and when he came she smothered him all up in a big apron and made him peel things, and hold the vanilla, and beat the eggs.

And she tucked all her fluffs under a little apron that made Billy say some things that he couldn't remember after, 'cause he tried to.

Showed in His Eyes.

And she made the bulliest dinner that Billy ever knew could be, while he sat and watched and dreamed a darling, wonderful dream that must have showed in his eyes.

Billy had seen Betty all ways-in her trailing, crackling silken gowns that she wouldn't let him touch. He had seen her in the open with a stain on her cheeks. And most times she was all fluffs, and curls, and pretty fingers and ears, and she sang to him till his heart was sung away.

But this was the dream. And Billy didn't wait so very long to tell It to Betty. For it had been the dream that Billy had all tucked away to see in the dark, before he went to sleep at night.
That was the dream that Billy dreamed with open eyes. NELL BRINKLEY.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I guess if that old lady dies in front of Luann, that will be *something*

Still doesn't distract me from how Luann the Gifted Writer is just re-writing the prompt.

Gil Thorp

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I guess if that old lady dies in front of Luann, that will be *something*

Still doesn't distract me from how Luann the Gifted Writer is just re-writing the prompt.
I've long since lost track, but is she learning how to work in daycare?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is the entire point of this arc just how much Luann loving sucks and has no genuine interest in anything because that's a bold move

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

I've long since lost track, but is she learning how to work in daycare?

Don't you recognise this degree-level English education?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is the entire point of this arc just how much Luann loving sucks and has no genuine interest in anything because that's a bold move

you can really tell when we get Karen strips

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Comanche

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 11, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
holy poo poo, arn did something on his own without getting kidnapped

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like this Betty and Billy business may actually reach the Dr. Bronner tier of "absolute (but harmless) madness."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I really like the art, but my brain slides off the writing like a frictionless surface.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

goatface posted:

I really like the art, but my brain slides off the writing like a frictionless surface.

Every generation has its cringe aspects that everyone thought was cool at the time.

The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(November 12, 1910)

Baron Bean(May 13, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(April 12, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(January 3, 1920)

Us Boys(May 11, 1912)

The Gumps(June 9, 1917)

Bringing up Father(February 20, 1913)

Collapsible top hats were a real thing, but not all top hats could do it. Maggie will also get a redesign from here out.

Abie the Agent(February 28, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 23, 1918)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

These Dustins at the card store are uber lazy.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

These Dustins are uber lazy.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Like just get a blank one you boring fug. It doesn't matter because the only thing your mom actually likes is rolling her eyes at failure so you already got her something.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Pretty sure this is universal, Gene. Also Indiana, Pennsylvania is a cursed town name.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pancho Jueves posted:

Pluggers

Pretty sure this is universal, Gene. Also Indiana, Pennsylvania is a cursed town name.

it's like a street near me called Lane Street. like, why?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Haraiso Days

The chapter title refers to what you might call the “by the station” series of madcap comedies, a total of 24 of which were made in the 1960s, all titled “The something-or-other by the station.” Here’s the trailer for the first one (“The Ryokan by the Station”) just to give you an idea of the flavor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcsorllPpY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

it's like a street near me called Lane Street. like, why?

Table Mesa shopping center in Boulder, CO comes to mind.