Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mister Facetious posted:

does anyone here know of an easy to apply, readily available lubricant that sticks well and is heat resistant to about 500f or higher?

Graphite might be worth a look -- it should be fine at high temperatures, but it may or may not stick well enough for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

PTFE lubricant is good up to 475 F

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

alnilam posted:

PTFE lubricant is good up to 475 F

Probably not good enough, this is an industrial oven

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If you google "500 F lubricant" you can see many choices on e.g. Grainger's website (filtered to those with operating temperatures >= 500F). Most of them seem to be Li or PTFE or silicone containing greases.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Double post for my question:

Is Apple pay really so ubiquitous that people rely on it being a sole form of payment? I work for a mom'n'pop boutique kind of retail store, and while we have a fairly modern POS, take all credit cards, etc., Apple pay works about 10% of the time. When it doesn't, it causes a cascade collapse that requires all 3 registers to need a hard reboot. Like, I'm crawling under the counter physically unplugging the card reader. Ain't nobody got time for that during holidays in retail.

So I've put up little signs by the readers saying "Sorry, we don't accept Apple Pay! :)" and I keep getting customers huffing and having to ask their spouses/friends they're shopping with to borrow a card or pay for it.

If you use Apple Pay, is it really expected that EVERYONE takes it? We're working with our POS support on it (tap has been squirrelly too, that's another story), but I'm frankly baffled by these folks who go out with no money option but their phone.

As an avid runner who likes to run with as little stuff as possible I've still got a card and cash on me despite my watch being able to make payments because that poo poo is super easy to carry and has a much greater chance at being able to be accepted. This has the added advantage of not looking like your trying out for Cirque du Soleil when the payment machine is up on a deli counter or something and your arm doesn't quite twist that way - which is a thing I have seen happen on more than a handful of occasions now. Anyone with a smart watch that can make payments who also isn't carrying a card / cash with them is definitely being a freak and you can safely treat them with scorn.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Blue Labrador posted:

In hotels, what does a concierge do exactly? I've landed an interview for that position and I want to know what I'm in for.

I've worked in hotels before, but specifically in a food service capacity.

A concierge is supposed to connect guests with services (internal and external), serve as an information repository if they want to know about the area, and serve as a de facto customer complaint/service line

So in practice it's calling cabs for people too old to use Uber, getting the shuttle driver to bring the van around, having stuff brought up to guests, and having answers to the questions "what's good to eat around here" and "what's fun to do around here"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Unless you’re interviewing at a REALLY nice hotel but I’m not sure one of those would interview somebody with no concierge experience

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

All right guys, that makes sense, thank you!

Badger of Basra posted:

Unless you’re interviewing at a REALLY nice hotel but I’m not sure one of those would interview somebody with no concierge experience

Yeah no lol. It's not a bad hotel at all, but it's nowhere near ritzy.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Is Apple pay really so ubiquitous that people rely on it being a sole form of payment? I work for a mom'n'pop boutique kind of retail store, and while we have a fairly modern POS, take all credit cards, etc., Apple pay works about 10% of the time. When it doesn't, it causes a cascade collapse that requires all 3 registers to need a hard reboot. Like, I'm crawling under the counter physically unplugging the card reader. Ain't nobody got time for that during holidays in retail.

So I've put up little signs by the readers saying "Sorry, we don't accept Apple Pay! :)" and I keep getting customers huffing and having to ask their spouses/friends they're shopping with to borrow a card or pay for it.

If you use Apple Pay, is it really expected that EVERYONE takes it? We're working with our POS support on it (tap has been squirrelly too, that's another story), but I'm frankly baffled by these folks who go out with no money option but their phone.

If you mean paying by tapping with your smart phone, then yes, it is so ubiquitous that I would rely on that completely, I no longer carry a wallet or cash, I expect everyone takes it, because everyone does take it, without issue. The one exception in the last year or 3 was a parking garage, and they didn't take any form of tap payment, and it was a massive pain in the arse.

I've never had a problem at any POS, I suggest you look at upgrading as a priority.

edit - In Australia at least, if that makes a difference

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 1, 2022

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It does because (apparently) US payment infrastructure is very behind the times

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Bucky Fullminster posted:

edit - In Australia at least, if that makes a difference

It makes every difference, tap-to-pay coverage sucks in US

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Chip readers aren't even 100% prevalent here. 2 times in the last month I've used a magnetic stripe reader to pay for something.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, the US was basically just starting to see widespread use of chip readers since like 2016~ or so, and I’m pretty sure a lot of banks didn’t start including them in cards until around the same time, when discussions here in other threads made it clear they’d already been common in Europe and elsewhere for years. They’re common now, but that took a good 5~ years to be a thing, and you’ll still find more places that require you to swipe than take tap payments. Tap-to-pay is is very rare, even with major retailers in heavily populated areas.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

dupersaurus posted:

It makes every difference, tap-to-pay coverage sucks in US

You can blame retailers wanting customer data for that one

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

lmao sorry maybe try upgrading your backward-rear end country then

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You can blame retailers wanting customer data for that one

It's also a slow process to add new systems to a POS and a ton of retailers only just got the chip stuff a few years before, so I imagine most don't want to go through all that again for much of the contactless stuff unless they are forced to do so, or see profit in it somehow.

To give an example, I was working at Bed Bath & Beyond when they went through the transition to add chip readers. The new pin pads with them were installed in late 2015, but it took over a year before they had the software to actually use read the chips, and there were still other stores in the area that hadn't gotten that software upgrade when I left the company in early 2019. It required a host of backend updates that I'm sure probably cost something, and created some issues with people trying to return something bought with a chip in one store that was being returned in another location that didn't have it yet. Keep in mind, this was a company that was still heavily using old IBM 4600~ registers like this:

In most stores until like 2018, and a backend POS system originally from 1991 at most of their locations, and upgrading all of that was even slower. I'm pretty sure the main reason they even had the new pin pads in late 2015 at all was there was some deadline (I believe October 2015) regarding liability shifting, so having the pin pads showed they were in the process of becoming chip compliant even if they weren't. I can't imagine a lot of big retailers that only finished becoming chip compliant in the last few years are eager to go through another round of upgrades for tap-to-pay or whatever.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

lmao sorry maybe try upgrading your backward-rear end country then

That cuts into profits and we can't have that :capitalism:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I'm losing my mind. Y'all are supposed to be about "free enterprise" and poo poo, and you can't even get this right. Any small trader or market stall can get a square reader that takes smart phones. It's really not that hard. Every small business can set it up in minutes.

I'm starting to think it's not even about capitalism anymore, america just wants to make its citizens suffer.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

cherished memories going to the states ~2014, tapping my credit card on a POS that only did chip (w/o pin??) and the clerk looking like i was the biggest idiot in the world

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I feel like this is also pretty varied depending on where you are in the US, like in the Pacific Northwest metro areas I'd say most small businesses will take tap to pay (most use Square so it's built in), most grocers have updated as well. There are definitely still places that have ancient POS systems or are basically cash only (weed dispensaries for example) but they're not exactly ubiquitous, I could see it being a different story in small town middle America though

Only having your phone as your sole method of payment feels like a bit of a liability to me (what if it dies??) but that's just my onion, I suppose it isn't functionally that much different than only carrying cards

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I feel like this is also pretty varied depending on where you are in the US, like in the Pacific Northwest metro areas I'd say most small businesses will take tap to pay (most use Square so it's built in), most grocers have updated as well. There are definitely still places that have ancient POS systems or are basically cash only (weed dispensaries for example) but they're not exactly ubiquitous, I could see it being a different story in small town middle America though

Only having your phone as your sole method of payment feels like a bit of a liability to me (what if it dies??) but that's just my onion, I suppose it isn't functionally that much different than only carrying cards

Yeah I just spent two weeks in the PNW and was impressed that every single place I went had tap to pay! Glad to hear that it's not actually widespread so I can continue being a smug Australian about it.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It seems like One Piece is spiking in cultural relevance. Is there a reason why?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's pretty crazy to me how backwards things are in NA. In the EU, there are affordable contactless POS systems that even street vendors can take advantage of. Also mobile QR payment apps that are even easier. It helps that some governments have made their own secure payment infrastructure and there is regulation limiting credit surcharges.

Still a good idea to carry cash in more remote/rural areas but that's becoming a rarity.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 1, 2022

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Fruits of the sea posted:

Still pretty crazy to me how backwards things are in NA. In the EU, there are affordable contactless POS systems that even street vendors can take advantage of. Also mobile QR payment apps that are even easier. It helps that some governments have made their own secure payment infrastructure.

Still a good idea to carry cash in more remote/rural areas but that's becoming a rarity.

It's America specifically, they're way way behind even Canada in this particular regard. I assume it's a result of moneyed interests preventing progress but I don't know if that's the case in this specific instance.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's been some years now but when I was last in Canada, my chipped card didn't work at a ton of different places.

E: shortly before Covid hit. And mostly on the west coast for some reason? Vancouver in particular was a pain in the rear end.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 1, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

This will probably vary greatly from one place to the next.

All the readers I've seen in many years work with any NFC payments (Google, Apple, contactless cards).

It is such a non issue that I don't even carry cards with me, just my phone.

Are your problems Apple Pay specific or do Google payments also cause problems? Or contactless cards if those are common there?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Here in NYC basically every place that takes cards at all takes contactless payments as well as chip-and-pin but that's a very recent development. I use contactless with my bank/ATM card to pay, usually without taking it out of my wallet; I don't want that poo poo on my phone.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Baron Porkface posted:

It seems like One Piece is spiking in cultural relevance. Is there a reason why?

1) a really huge story arc that had been running since 2018 has just wrapped up
2) whole lot of story upheavals and revelations and poo poo, like we're finally seeing dominoes fall over that were set up 5+ years ago
3) the anime changed directors and the production pipeline and a bunch of other stuff so the anime itself is actually good now
4) the most recent movie came out, and made a shitton of money
5) it started getting popular when the pandemic started because being locked indoors for so long meant people no longer had an excuse not to read 1000 manga chapters and I assume they all only caught up just now.
6) We are now encroaching on the final arc, there's still a few years to but those years will be insanw
7) One Piece is good

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
there are over 1000 episodes, that's like 500 hours of anime to catch up to the current plot if you start from ep 1

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Denmark, I basically assume that anyone using cash is essentially either laundering it or using it to avoid paying taxes. Everywhere takes contactsless here.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yes but also the Danish banks offshore their money laundering to Eastern Europe.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Literally the only reason I carry cash is to give it to homeless people. I can't think of anything else I've used cash for in... years really.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I have some cash on hand for when kids come by with school charity events and stuff. Even the regular charities use QR codes now. Other than that I can't actually remember the last time I paid for something with cash. Probably sometime before the pandemic

Oh wait, this summer I paid a couple of kids to do some yardwork for me, but I had to google where the nearest ATM was to get the actual money lol

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I love restaurants in the states where you hand your credit card to someone who just walks away with it for 2-3 minutes.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

greazeball posted:

I love restaurants in the states where you hand your credit card to someone who just walks away with it for 2-3 minutes.

Not as weird as the part where they only ask you for the tip after they give you the card back, which means they must be retaining your credit card info for a period of time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

greazeball posted:

That’s nothing compared to a bar keeping your card for a tab for 2-3 hours.

(Of course it works fine so I don’t know what the big deal is. Usually people are happy when trust-based systems are used.)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm making some custom Star Wars poker chips/credits for a friend for christmas, and I'm trying to figure out how many to make.

I'm planning on making 3 values ($1, $5, and $10) and planning for 4-5 players on average. I was thinking 20 x $1, and 10 each of the other values. Is that enough chips?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CzarChasm posted:

I'm making some custom Star Wars poker chips/credits for a friend for christmas, and I'm trying to figure out how many to make.

I'm planning on making 3 values ($1, $5, and $10) and planning for 4-5 players on average. I was thinking 20 x $1, and 10 each of the other values. Is that enough chips?
doesn't sound like enough to me. the case i have holds 500 chips. when we played we started with at least 40 per player depending on the stakes

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

You mean Pazaak chips? (I just started replaying KOTOR after amost two decades).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

lobsterminator posted:

You mean Pazaak chips? (I just started replaying KOTOR after amost two decades).

Sabacc actually. Though apparently they make Pazaak decks too.

Pazaak is closer to blackjack IIRC, and this is closer to Poker

butt dickus posted:

doesn't sound like enough to me. the case i have holds 500 chips. when we played we started with at least 40 per player depending on the stakes

Eep. That's probably not going to happen in the next three weeks. 100 might be possible, maybe even 200.

I guess a better question might be is 2:1:1 a ratio good for chips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Sabacc actually. Though apparently they make Pazaak decks too.

Pazaak is closer to blackjack IIRC, and this is closer to Poker

Eep. That's probably not going to happen in the next three weeks. 100 might be possible, maybe even 200.

I guess a better question might be is 2:1:1 a ratio good for chips?

I think the sets of 500 I have are 3-1-1.