Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's weird because there is a lot of inclusiveness (they even put preferred pronounces on the GDQ streams now) but a number of top runners (the top Mario 64 runner is a gay guy who's a transphobe) or popular streamers/YouTubers are huge shitheads. I think the only generalist speedrun content big YouTuber that's "clean" is SummoningSalt.

Weirdly enough all of the shithead runners out there tend to have some kind of axe to grind about how GDQ has become "too politically correct".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I just posted about this in the DOOM ETERNAL thread because a lot of people have issues with the game's implementation of extra lives, but I just encountered a pretty solid alternative to it in Serious Sam 4.

As much crap as SS4 gets (and rightfully deserves), I feel like it's a pretty simple and effective concept. Essentially, you accrue uncommon passive items called "H.E.A.R.T."s; when you "die", you have the option of consuming one of the items to resume fighting, or just reload the last save and restart from the previous checkpoint.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Lemon-Lime posted:

NBI were very enthusiastic participants in the retro shooter stream event featuring a lot of lovely people, two months ago.

Does Oshry even have a speed that is below "very enthusiastic?" I'm pretty sure that man's obit is going to read "RIP. He rocket jumped into the Sun."

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."
Blood has absolutely rocked with those custom settings. The enemy count is a lot better this time around, and I had my first death from an absolute crowd of zombies in E1M6 and it was pretty hilarious and my favorite way to go. I jumped the poles of the blown of bridge at the end of the Carnival and came to a dead end, which apparently is supposed to yield a secret(?) level

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

eternalvictory posted:

Blood has absolutely rocked with those custom settings. The enemy count is a lot better this time around, and I had my first death from an absolute crowd of zombies in E1M6 and it was pretty hilarious and my favorite way to go. I jumped the poles of the blown of bridge at the end of the Carnival and came to a dead end, which apparently is supposed to yield a secret(?) level

You have to use explosives to blow open the wall.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just posted about this in the DOOM ETERNAL thread because a lot of people have issues with the game's implementation of extra lives, but I just encountered a pretty solid alternative to it in Serious Sam 4.

As much crap as SS4 gets (and rightfully deserves), I feel like it's a pretty simple and effective concept. Essentially, you accrue uncommon passive items called "H.E.A.R.T."s; when you "die", you have the option of consuming one of the items to resume fighting, or just reload the last save and restart from the previous checkpoint.

Hey, this sounds like one of the best ways to work "extra lives" into a game without completely ruining the difficulty one way or the other. Cool!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Am I the only one that thinks Shadow Warrior is harder than Blood on medium difficulty? I have trouble on just the first few levels in that game while Blood is tough but I push through.

At top difficulty, Blood is undeniably harder.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 5, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
blood, for all its balancing flaws, at least gives you some kind of decentish weapon before you have to deal with anything that can shoot you

shadow warrior does not give you this courtesy unless you secret-hunt, afaik, and regardless there's a jerk in like the very first room that you have to katana immediately or he'll chew you up

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Huh, the zombies in Shadow Warrior are called coolies. That's good.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The secret to master the way of the Shadow Warrior is to use riot gun (remember about the alternative firing mode, switch it by pressing "3" again - super useful against Rippers - the gorilla-like enemies, and Guardians - green-skinned dudes shooting fire) and especially grenade launcher. You can basically open every new room in the game and throw a grenade there. Jump a lot when you are cornered, and don't forget that the smokebomb works like Doom's Berzerk - strength of your punches is amplified. Look for secrets, there is an absolute ton of them everywhere, and a lot of stuff is hidden in just barely out of your way. Whatever you are fighting, shadow ninjas should take an absolute priority over everything else.

I think overall Shadow Warrior is the Build game that actually makes moving and jumping during fighting a good strategy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The weird faux-anime girls in Shadow Warrior are unsettling to me since they stand out so much.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

This game is really bad at humour of any kind.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

laserghost posted:

This game is really bad at humour of any kind.

I probably would have found it hilarious if I played it as a kid in ‘97 but it’s super cringe even beyond all the racist stuff. Much more so than Duke.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
In all honesty nothing would be lost if every copy of Shadow Warrior '97 was wiped from existence

It is a bad and unforgivably racist game

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I played Shadow Warrior as a kid when it was contemporary and found it uncomfortably racist, and it's gotten much worse with age

For all the flaws of the series reboot, the direction they took the character/world is one of the most impressive examples of lemons-into-lemonade I've seen in a game series

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Convex posted:

In all honesty nothing would be lost if every copy of Shadow Warrior '97 was wiped from existence

It is a bad and unforgivably racist game

Port the nuke into Duke Nukem 3D (how did they mix that up?) then yes.

I should probably check out the reboot series.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Shadow Warrior DID give us Wanton Destruction, which is one of the best Build expansions at least

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I'm Asian and played it as a kid and had fun, but the over the top stereotyping was easier to laugh because I was a kid and I wasn't being constantly exposed to actual open white supremacists every day in real life yet.

Have there been any recent interviews where the developers explain exactly where the gently caress their heads were at at the time? It sort of feels like the original intent was for it be more about mocking how stupid the stereotyping was and then 80% of the team completely missed the point and made actually racist stuff, if that makes any sense.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think that would be giving them too much credit

the intent was to spoof on old kung-fu movies kind of like how duke was about action movies but i guess their path to that was 'be incredibly racist at every single turn'

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I would never, ever buy the "it's a satire" excuse for Shadow Warrior '97. Good satire has tells. Shadow Warrior has none. It was absolutely a bunch of suburban white dudes with very limited experience with any Asian culture doing bad jokes based on the trash media they consumed.

I don't think it was malicious though.

That's the weird funky line. Some racist media like Black Minstrel Shows are meant to be suppressive, and Shadow Warrior comes drat close but it clears the line by being so obviously divorced from any reality other than Kung Fu Movies/90s anime that it feels like there's no actual target beyond "We really don't know poo poo about Asia."

That doesn't make the racist jokes ok, but the standards have gotten so abysmal that it's not a hill worth dying on. The devs don't deserve to get put on blast for some dumb poo poo they made in their 20s-40s a quarter of a century ago. That said if any of them ever came out and said "yeah I'd never make that now, there were some bad decisions in that game" that'd be really swell.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Duke Nukem going from "Johnny Bravo/action movie hero amalgamation" to what he got turned into in DNF sort of parallels it, except it's a confusing mess that's all happening within the same game.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Shadow Warrior DID give us Wanton Destruction, which is one of the best Build expansions at least

The one that changed the enemy sprites to be more racist?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

mind the walrus posted:

I would never, ever buy the "it's a satire" excuse for Shadow Warrior '97. Good satire has tells. Shadow Warrior has none. It was absolutely a bunch of suburban white dudes with very limited experience with any Asian culture doing bad jokes based on the trash media they consumed.

I don't think it was malicious though.

Yeah, I thought 3D Realms was more dumb "throw everything we love about martial arts movies and anime in" than malicious, but then someone found an interview from a gaming magazine where Georgie B was all "well, we considered it might be a little offensive, but that'll make it stand out." Which, is still more dumb than straight-up malicious, but if that consideration come up and they still went on with it, I'm going to be less charitable.

Gameplay-wise though, Shadow Warrior's still pretty good. But the rest of the packaging, yikes. Love the reboot though, I haven't played 2 yet, but 3's looking good.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Why didn’t they call it Wonton Destruction?

I’m wondering because I am currently destroying some wontons myself.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Played the demo of Shadow Warrior 2013 and it loving owns. How the hell am I only hearing about all these games now. 2020 has been a real eye opener for me FPS wise.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I also started playing Shadow Warrior 2013 this year and it's pretty good but I'm up to chapter 9 of 17 and it's starting to run out of steam.

It does have a quadruple barrel shotgun.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

al-azad posted:

I also started playing Shadow Warrior 2013 this year and it's pretty good but I'm up to chapter 9 of 17 and it's starting to run out of steam.

It does have a quadruple barrel shotgun.

I gave up around that point. Fun game but it just keeps going and going and going

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Speaking of 2013 FPSes, I haven't put in a good word for Call of Juarez: Gunslinger for a minute so - check out Call of Juarez: Gunslinger!

More first person shooters (and games in general) need to be from an unreliable narrator's perspective

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Dip Viscous posted:

Duke Nukem going from "Johnny Bravo/action movie hero amalgamation" to what he got turned into in DNF sort of parallels it, except it's a confusing mess that's all happening within the same game.

He really shoukd have aged like Ash from Evil Dead imo. Just a dork rear end in a top hat who also happens to be the only guy who can get poo poo done. It wouldn't even be a betrayal of his origins

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Played the demo of Shadow Warrior 2013 and it loving owns. How the hell am I only hearing about all these games now. 2020 has been a real eye opener for me FPS wise.
:haibrow:

A new co-worker snorted at me when he asked me what games I play and I said "Lately I've just been on some real old-school stuff. DOOM wads and Blood and the like." I asked what he was playing. :smug: "Borderlands 3."

And don't get me wrong, Borderlands is perfectly good... but man there are some people who really don't know what they're missing.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I'm starting to get a classic Doom itch. What are some good wads/gameplay mods released in the year?

Also recalling my last time playing Doom wads I don't think I'm that good. Going Down was kicking my rear end even on HMP and I did fine on Doom 2 UV. Even WADs like BTSX and Verdant Citadel gave me trouble a lot of trouble and I had to save a lot. Are there any tips to get better with the more difficult wads? I want to play Alien Vendetta and Sunlust, but I don't want to smash into a proverbial rock.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dreamsicle posted:

I'm starting to get a classic Doom itch. What are some good wads/gameplay mods released in the year?

Also recalling my last time playing Doom wads I don't think I'm that good. Going Down was kicking my rear end even on HMP and I did fine on Doom 2 UV. Even WADs like BTSX and Verdant Citadel gave me trouble a lot of trouble and I had to save a lot. Are there any tips to get better with the more difficult wads? I want to play Alien Vendetta and Sunlust, but I don't want to smash into a proverbial rock.

Try different control settings and sensitivities.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

the humor in 90s shooters was all just sight gags with level design and weird developer injokes that arent really funny if you think about them too hard. but it turns out that thats way easier and more charming than going for actual comedy

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You forgot "movie quotes."

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but in terms of tone Saints Row 4 remains the only true modern sequel to Duke 3D. It has fun with a ton of references and meta-jokes, but grounds it with legit good comedy. Most importantly, the Saints are characters who can't believe the weird poo poo they're involved in but are loving every second of it because it allows them to be totally bad rear end. That shear joy in the situation is the same thing that made Duke stand out. Dude's having a blast fighting aliens and quoting his favorite films. To me, his most memorable line isn't an Army of Darkness quote, but that surprised "Holy poo poo!" when he causes a massive explosion. Duke's having a ball and so are you.

If they ever decide to give the Duke another game, they should let Volition do the writing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My favorite original Duke line is “those alien bastards are gonna pay...”. It kinda bugs me that they use Roddy Piper’s bubblegum line as one of his main catchphrases.

Is Duke 1 and 2 worth checking out or they just lovely dos platformers like the rest?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Duke 1 and 2 worth checking out or they just lovely dos platformers like the rest?

They are worth checking out if you like lovely dos platformers, like I do. (And they are nowhere near the shittiest)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but in terms of tone Saints Row 4 remains the only true modern sequel to Duke 3D. It has fun with a ton of references and meta-jokes, but grounds it with legit good comedy. Most importantly, the Saints are characters who can't believe the weird poo poo they're involved in but are loving every second of it because it allows them to be totally bad rear end. That shear joy in the situation is the same thing that made Duke stand out. Dude's having a blast fighting aliens and quoting his favorite films. To me, his most memorable line isn't an Army of Darkness quote, but that surprised "Holy poo poo!" when he causes a massive explosion. Duke's having a ball and so are you.

If they ever decide to give the Duke another game, they should let Volition do the writing.

This permeates a lot of BLOOD too. The first one has lots of gleeful cackling and "Whoa, what did that do?" is all very tongue-in-cheek without actually poking the wall and going "hey, hey we know we're being silly" like some Taika Waititi poo poo. Then BLOOD 2 is just... way too loving serious for its own good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

al-azad posted:

Convex posted:

I gave up around that point. Fun game but it just keeps going and going and going

I'm going to do something that's usually frowned upon and say that the game is 'worth pushing through' just to get to the ending. Running out of steam is a good way of putting it, the lack of enemy/combat variety really starts to drag around the 2/3rds mark. But for the final 1/5th of the game things move really fast, and you get an ending that's perplexing in how good it is for such a schlocky medium. No, a youtube clip showing the scene won't cut it, as it's a collection of a lot of small things in the final levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I just finished Blood for the first time. Overall it's really good, some assorted thoughts:

The feel of the weapons is generally real good. Dynamite in particular stands out and it's really hard for me to put my finger on why, it just has that je ne c'est quoi to it. I also appreciate it as being a game where the default weapon is actually fairly useful throughout the game, pulling out the Pitchfork for weaker enemies feels natural and I never felt like I was gimping myself for doing it. The flare gun's secondary is fantastic. The Tesla cannon seems like it should just be a redo of Doom's plasma rifle, but for whatever reason I think it feels a lot better the way Blood does it. Shotgun was pretty cool, though if I'm being honest I think Civvie maybe sang its praises a bit too much in his Blood videos, it's good but I don't think it really holds a candle to D2's SSG.

A couple of the weapons felt really iffy to me though. The aerosol can never felt quite right to me, even when using it to burn spiders, though I thought the secondary fire was a lot of fun. Wasn't too fussy about the Voodoo doll, I feel like the feedback for it is not all that great, which is probably intentional to some extent but compared to how punchy everything else feels it sticks out like a sore thumb. Also not a big fan of having weapons that can damage the user (beyond splash damage), it's pretty easy to hold the fire button down while aiming at an enemy a bit too long and inadvertently hurting yourself and I know that it doesn't really do much damage at all, but it's the principle of the thing.

Also have no idea what was going on with the life leech, it didn't seem to do a whole lot of damage and was more than a little underwhelming for the last weapon I found. Was hoping for something BFG-esque and it's not really that, so maybe part of the issue is my own expectations.

The maps were strong, particularly in atmosphere. I appreciate that while they sort of shoot for a real-world setting some of the time, it gets a lot more abstract and weird than Duke3D does.

I'm kind of on the fence regarding the difficulty. I played exclusively on Made To Order with settings not unlike what people suggested, monster totals maxed out, lower cultist stats, all that. I think the first episode is way, waaaay harder than it ought to be, the folks who have said that the game has an inverse difficulty curve are spot on. Episodes 2-4 are pretty straightforward and felt challenging but not unreasonable, but I found that even with the weaker cultists the first episode came across as much more cruel than the rest of the game is. I had a lot of situations where I had very little health and very little ammo, in the second map in particular I found I had to savescum like crazy in order to make it through. I've always got the impression that Blood was kind of the cult classic Build engine game that didn't get talked about that often (present company excluded) and I have to wonder if it has something to do with the almost hostile impression it gives at first. Without Made To Order and with that difficulty glitch that existed in the original, I can see it scaring people off.

The bestiary is like 50/50 good and eh. I don't think any of the enemies are outright bad, exactly, but stuff like the gargoyles and especially that big grey stupid health sink gargoyle tend to be more annoying that serious threats most of the time. It's also kind of funny how the worst enemy from Duke3D, the little slime dudes who everyone hate, are not only back as the hands, but there's also two other little enemies that kind of suck to fight. Granted I usually just kill those things with dynamite, but still. Why triple down on them. The cultists, zombies, fat guys, scythe ghosts are all fun to fight (assuming it's not like, 99% cultists the entire time) and mix together rather nicely, so I think it all comes together at the end of the day.

Finally I have to say that the FMVs are hilarious and the whole game's vibe is so weird that I can't think of anything else quite like it. Dusk comes close but feels more like its own thing for a variety of reasons.