Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Enigma89 posted:

That one is pretty good

If there's one thing about the military that almost everyone can agree on it's that soldiers are funny motherfuckers

Gallows humor plus being in the psychologically weird situation that is military hierarchy plus an intolerance of unprofessionalism I guess?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why two weeks?

I believe the N Koreans said they'd be doing a firing within a few weeks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I believe the N Koreans said they'd be doing a firing within a few weeks.

North Korea says it is working on plans for a mid-August missile strike near the US Pacific territory of Guam, calling President Donald Trump's warning of "fire and fury" a "load of nonsense".
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-10/north-korea-calls-trump-warning-a-load-of-nonsense/8792324

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

North Korea says it is working on plans for a mid-August missile strike near the US Pacific territory of Guam, calling President Donald Trump's warning of "fire and fury" a "load of nonsense".
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-10/north-korea-calls-trump-warning-a-load-of-nonsense/8792324

That sounds like a glorified missile test.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
gently caress you donnie, can't you at least wait to unleash nuclear winter until after the Aug eclipse.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yes, it is a glorified missile test. However, it is enough that if they do it and it get's even near Guam how do you think this administration will respond?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Azhais posted:

Wait til they look at the rest!

the perspective on this is so bad :pwn:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Your Taint posted:

CNN is reporting on the Manafort raid, but it's mainly North Korea. Haven't heard one word about this.
I'll admit I jumped the gun and posted this before reading the article. I was too proud of that joke to check first.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Yes, it is a glorified missile test. However, it is enough that if they do it and it get's even near Guam how do you think this administration will respond?

Blustering and tweeting

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

empty whippet box posted:

Blustering and tweeting

Maybe

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Here lies humanity

2.5 Million BCE - 2017/8

He never scored

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Synthbuttrange posted:

The only sensible thing to do is blanket the North in Fire Jolly Ranchers and cases of Angry Orchard Cider. Maybe toss in more cases of PowerBars than any Korean has ever even imagined. America keeps it's word, no matter how insane.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Also they're setting a precedent for doing exactly what they say they are going to do.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We're totally going to war again aren't we?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This circles back to my earlier point: 53% is a slim margin, and he may have more to lose by pissing off wall supporters with too-pointed rhetoric.

I understand that, but he can be direct and just say, "I support border security, but I don't support Donald Trump's wall." That's unlikely to piss off too many voters who would be wavering. Being as wishy-washy as he is about an unnecessary vanity project that's based on some pretty abominable racism isn't going to win him any votes, IMO.

quote:

As far as I can tell your chief objection is his rhetoric not his votes. From Democrats in marginal states I don't care about rhetoric, I only care about voting record.

I mostly agree with you, but I care about rhetoric insofar as it motivates or demotivates voters. You're right, of course, that actions speak louder than words, but words can still signal to people whether or not you have the guts to fight for them. I don't think too many Democrats, either in his state or nationally, will see Tester's answer as inspiring or principled. It's the type of answer that makes people believe that there's not enough difference between the two major parties, and that there's no point in voting for the Democrats. That's a belief that I want not to exist.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 10, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

We're totally going to war again aren't we?

Is a Twitter war still a war?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

Is a Twitter war still a war?

... probably?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

That sounds like a glorified missile test.

Would you feel the same if nk was shooting stuff near your house instead of near someone else's house?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Lightning Lord posted:

Here lies humanity

2.5 Million BCE - 2017/8

peperony and cheese

fix'd :colbert:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

ITT Majorian supports radically open borders with no walls anywhere. Once again showing that the left's only consistent position is that they don't like the democrats.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

ITT Majorian supports radically open borders with no walls anywhere. Once again showing that the left's only consistent position is that they don't like the democrats.

Yeah dude, you got me pegged:

Majorian posted:

I think border security and having a fence/wall in some places makes sense. Ensuring that non-state actors can't easily smuggle WMD material into the U.S. is an important issue to me. But a fence/wall already exists in most of those places. That's not what those two senators are talking about. They're talking about Trump's wall.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What dumb tweet this thread manage to write 700 posts about?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

We're airdropping inflatable chickens with gold trump hair on north korea

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Dudes, what if all the North Korean missile tests have actually been real attacks, but they keep missing?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

gently caress off

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Surprisingly nothing.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

He tweeted that he wants to prosecute whoever put up the giant inflatable chicken for treason.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

peperony and chease

:colbert:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I got more that Murray was joking because Mexico is never paying for that wall.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

I got more that Murray was joking because Mexico is never paying for that wall.

If that's what she was going for, I retract my objection. Major publications like Politico usually mention when someone seems like they're joking, though.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Dudes, what if all the North Korean missile tests have actually been real attacks, but they keep missing?

I don't know if I would find that more or less comforting.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This circles back to my earlier point: 53% is a slim margin, and he may have more to lose by pissing off wall supporters with too-pointed rhetoric.

As far as I can tell your chief objection is his rhetoric not his votes. From Democrats in marginal states I don't care about rhetoric, I only care about voting record.

Maybe people should have actual beliefs and not behave according to popularity polls

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

That article title is a straight up lie, to my knowledge. All the article says is that Trump wanted McCabe gone last month. There's nothing regarding Trump's reaction to the raid this morning.

Your knowledge is wrong, you didn't read the article.

The FBI raid on Manafort happened July 26 and Trump's tweet about McCabe was a few minutes thereafter.

We're talking about the raid now because news of it leaked to the press today. It happened two weeks ago, and Trump got mad at the acting FBI director on Twitter shortly after it happened.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sure is gonna be great that 60 years of North Korean militarization and propaganda about the evil crazy imperialist Americans coming to nuke them any day now will all turn out to have been completely justified

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Trump is your senile racist Fox News grandpa except instead of being obsessed with crossword puzzles and the weather channel, he's obsessed with Twitter.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Sure is gonna be great that 60 years of North Korean militarization and propaganda about the evil crazy imperialist Americans coming to nuke them any day now will all turn out to have been completely justified

I wonder how one would say "Self-fulfilling prophecy" in Korean.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Trump is your senile racist Fox News grandpa except instead of being obsessed with crossword puzzles and the weather channel, he's obsessed with Twitter.

And crowd sizes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Majorian posted:

If that's what she was going for, I retract my objection. Major publications like Politico usually mention when someone seems like they're joking, though.

I don't know if I would find that more or less comforting.

If you didn't see Patty's joke the first go around you should remove that giant stick from your butt holy poo poo.

It's Patty loving Murray. Career senator from Washington state for fucks sake. Also gently caress a coug but that's beside the point.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pellisworth posted:

I've been giving this some thought, and I'm not sure that's right. I feel he's what happens when your slacker friend who can't hold a job (you know the one. We all have one.) gets to 70 without learning anything. And keeps getting more money despite being terrible with it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Randbrick posted:

It feels lIke the eve of the Hiroshima bombing. The level of understanding we had as to the psychology of the actors in japan, the prevailing Japanese sentiment, etc, were just primitive and racist and had no real informative value. I always thought the great tragedy of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is that our information was so poor as the to what Japan wanted and could tolerate that we can never really argue with full confidence it was right or necessary.

Fun fact about Hiroshima and Nagasaki: the US was actually planning to drop 12 atomic bombs on Japan. Like, if they had not surrendered after Nagasaki, there would be a third, then a fourth, etc.

So yeah, the US was willing to completely flatten Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Mustached Demon posted:

If you didn't see Patty's joke the first go around you should remove that giant stick from your butt holy poo poo.

It's Patty loving Murray. Career senator from Washington state for fucks sake. Also gently caress a coug but that's beside the point.

Murray is the good one. Cantwell is the bad one.

• Locked thread