Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I think they put CoD on GamePass and go through with the price increase on GPU to $19.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

hanyolo posted:

They're still gonna make a gently caress load selling copies on ps5 and people who can't let go of steam

What do you think of when people say gamepass hurts sales? It seems like there is data on both side.

Like Palworld was on Gamepass but still sold millions on Steam, same for Manor Lords.

I am not exactly sure what attributes make people only play you on gamepass vs buying you on other platforms.

I always thought it doesn't make sense for good games, I have completed games on gamepass then later bought them on the first sale to just support the devs even more. But that could be just a me thing but I am sure I have seen others in this thread do the same.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

priznat posted:

If AAA games will require a separate subscription and game pass just gets indies and they keep it the same price I’m out, honestly.

Same except I'm in. Don't want the AAA trash, just give me the indies, thanks.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ulio posted:

What do you think of when people say gamepass hurts sales? It seems like there is data on both side.

Like Palworld was on Gamepass but still sold millions on Steam, same for Manor Lords.

I am not exactly sure what attributes make people only play you on gamepass vs buying you on other platforms.

I always thought it doesn't make sense for good games, I have completed games on gamepass then later bought them on the first sale to just support the devs even more. But that could be just a me thing but I am sure I have seen others in this thread do the same.

What data

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
I haven't bought a cod since ghosts so it being on GP will get them an additional player! Actiblizz saved

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Could you imagine being a regular person who doesn't follow gaming industry news? You'd just be ignorantly using your console and playing some games, and then new ones come out, and you might play them. That's so loving weird, being all "cool games come out and I just play some" lol that's so loving wack.

Like you've never heard about PS5 no games, and the most you think about Redfall is "oh yeah I heard it wasn't great so I didn't play it" like what the gently caress are you even doing at that point, just go live in the woods, playing Nintendo games with family and friends and just playing some games in your off hours to kill time. Gives me the chills tbh.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I feel like I've never even seen an ad for gamepass, and I'm in tbe target demo + not a subscriber (I do month to month every few months or whatever). Maybe they should market it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
As soon as Netflix exceeded $20 I realized I can buy a $5 movie once a week every week on movie night, with a lot more movies to choose from, which I would then own, and still come out ahead. I imagine $20 GPU is getting close to that point for a lot of people.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

moon demon posted:

As soon as Netflix exceeded $20 I realized I can buy a $5 movie once a week every week on movie night, with a lot more movies to choose from, which I would then own, and still come out ahead. I imagine $20 GPU is getting close to that point for a lot of people.

Yes if games were $5

Unfortunately new games are like $70 usd

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

hanyolo posted:

Yes if games were $5

Unfortunately new games are like $70 usd

I mean yeah obviously. But how many people are buying $70 games every week? I guess we’ll see what the sub count looks like after they raise prices.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Gamefly baby! Stellar Blade, Unicorn Overlord and Pacific Drive this past week or so and I only spent 25 bucks.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Scott Forstall posted:

If they put CoD on gamepass, it will kill their profit. But if they don’t put CoD on gamepass, it will kill gamepass, which will kill Xbox.

Yup. And everyone on the MSFT board and exec team is watching because Xbox went from a cute rounding error on the balance sheet to a $77B hole that probably needs filling. Good job Phil!

slave to my cravings posted:

Make cod only available through game pass

I mean, fortune favours the bold.

e; probably would help to ship good games tho, Forza was poo poo, Starfield was poo poo, Redfall was poo poo, they make poo poo games tbf. If I was them I'd also maybe say gently caress it - let's do Candy Crush of Duty: Modern Hard Toffee's.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 11, 2024

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

syntaxfunction posted:

Could you imagine being a regular person who doesn't follow gaming industry news? You'd just be ignorantly using your console and playing some games, and then new ones come out, and you might play them. That's so loving weird, being all "cool games come out and I just play some" lol that's so loving wack.

Like you've never heard about PS5 no games, and the most you think about Redfall is "oh yeah I heard it wasn't great so I didn't play it" like what the gently caress are you even doing at that point, just go live in the woods, playing Nintendo games with family and friends and just playing some games in your off hours to kill time. Gives me the chills tbh.

Sometimes I miss those days. But those days are dead, just like console gaming.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if the gpu price got pumped like that I would probably just cancel it and live out my days with a physical copy of mcc

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

maybe they'll give the actiblizzking titles their own pass like EA had with theirs and bill it separately

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

the sky looks like a gaming pc. i think it is a sign

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I still think for a sizeable portion of the COD userbase, the question will always be “well why not just buy it..”. Especially at the point you start talking about price increases.

So much of GamePass hinges on how much of a value add you think having access to all those other games is. If you’re a COD guy and that’s your bread and butter, having a couple of hundred other games at your disposal might be literally pointless to you.

I don’t play COD anymore and my tastes are a little broader than that, but I don’t sub to GP because that immediate library access does nothing for me either. Value is always subjective.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

spaceblancmange posted:

Looks like they're finally pulling out all the stops for their marketing.

Bumhead posted:

I still think for a sizeable portion of the COD userbase, the question will always be “well why not just buy it..”. Especially at the point you start talking about price increases.

So much of GamePass hinges on how much of a value add you think having access to all those other games is. If you’re a COD guy and that’s your bread and butter, having a couple of hundred other games at your disposal might be literally pointless to you.

I don’t play COD anymore and my tastes are a little broader than that, but I don’t sub to GP because that immediate library access does nothing for me either. Value is always subjective.

True. There are a whole lot of people who buy a console only to play COD and FIFA/Madden. There's no reason at all for them to be on game pass.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 11, 2024

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
What would really sink Xbox deeper into the abyss is if the new COD is bad

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
My guess would be Call of duty gamepass day one. No tiered pricing.

gently caress though, imagine the team making that game with this kind of pressure. lol.

Like a 70 billion dollar buyout was stalled because of the idea of the next one.

Wild to think how big cod got.

I think they’ll hype it by putting some or all cod on gamepass in advance too

swims fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 11, 2024

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Black ops hasn't been good since 2 so chances are it's gonna not be good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont think it matters if COD is good it's like Madden where everyone says the newest one sucks rear end and it sells anyway

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

VanillaGorilla posted:

I think there's every possibility that they'll decide not to, but I don't think it's like crazy to put it day 1 on Gamepass. There are lots of ways they can monetize those players ranging from cash shop items to doing the $30 "buy-up" packs that they've done for 1P titles (that tend to do pretty well for them) with stuff like early access, first battlepass, etc.

If I had to put down a bet I'm guessing that they'll probably be able to convince the beancounters that the marginal loss of box revenues is worth good will/potential for growth on PC Gamepass, etc.
Putting the new CoD on GP day one without a price increase is absolutely a better move than selling it for the base price. Shareholders don't want money, they want the promise of future money, and that's what an increase in subscriber count represents. The only thing Phil needs to deliver is more subs. Look at Ubisoft+, you'd think it would be a massive money sink for the company, but they love the results

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

spaceblancmange posted:

Lol

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

kri kri posted:

What data

Square Enix said in their earnings call after the release of Guardians of The Galaxy that the sales were affected by gamepass by a significant amount.
But then you look at the sales of Palworld or Starfield, they sold quite well on Steam despite being on Gamepass day 1.

So thats what I meant there is data that it hurts sales and it doesn't. I guess it depends on the game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ulio posted:

Square Enix said in their earnings call after the release of Guardians of The Galaxy that the sales were affected by gamepass by a significant amount.
But then you look at the sales of Palworld or Starfield, they sold quite well on Steam despite being on Gamepass day 1.

So thats what I meant there is data that it hurts sales and it doesn't. I guess it depends on the game.
There was also the publisher of the indie game Descenders saying that word of mouth from their Game Pass release really boosted sales on other platforms.

Of course, one of the things they attributed as a big win was their game appearing on everyone's Xbox Dashboard, and I don't think the new dashboard design does that as much. So...

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Ulio posted:

Guardians wasn't on gamepass at launch it was at least 6 months later.

I bought that game digitally for Xbox in the holiday sales a few weeks after it released for $25 I think. They discounted it heavily almost immediately.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Also Square-Enix has never been satisfied by the sales of their western properties.
They're always disappointing.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah Stray got a huge boost in sales from being on psn+ day one

Games like exoprimal probably make more from the deal than if they had just shoved it out the door at $50 with zero marketing. monster hunter can sell you the dlc without having to shell out for the base game

As a value-add for your paid online service it's probably fine and benefits most people involved but I wouldn't hang my entire division's strategy on it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ulio posted:

That's not data. The test for "did Gamepass hurt Starfield's sales" isn't "did Starfield sell a few mill copies on Steam anyway", it's "did they sell fewer copies of Starfield than they would have without Gamepass". And the answer to that is of course they did - they probably gave up a few hundred million dollars in revenue in pure sales by putting Starfield on Gamepass! You can "hurt sales" without literally driving sales down to zero.

Obviously, Gamepass revenue, and new subscriptions, partially makes up for that, but I think we can tell from Microsoft's reaction and shift in focus since last fall that they weren't happy with the trade.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

syntaxfunction posted:

Word. That's some weirdo poo poo. The real big dick G gamers buy subs and games on sale and never play them because they're too busy reading doomsday headlines and braindead tweets to justify defending their video game platform. Gaming in 2024, baybee.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Issaries posted:

Also Square-Enix has never been satisfied by the sales of their western properties.
I still laugh when I remember their CEO saying that they expected a Hitman game and a Tomb Raider game to each do COD numbers

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Thanks to everyone for the Norco recommendations. I love it, it oozes atmosphere.

It's more narrative than it is puzzly, and that's just what I was looking for at this time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ulio posted:

with zero data i will boldly assume that both starfield and palworld were always going to sell because they caught online hype, while no one had any expectations for a licensed marvel game that was a soft follow up to the recently disappointing avengers gaas thing but i am not an overpaid executive at a publisher, so!!

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The gaas was bad and the previous guardians of the galaxy game by telltale was bad too

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Issaries posted:

Yeah, it’s bizarre how every western studio game was a sales disappointment. Meanwhile you had FF16 have a really low launch in Japan and overseas sales falling off fast and the company had to take a huge write off on the game but still framed it as “it performed within our expectations range.”

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Issaries posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still laugh when I remember their CEO saying that they expected a Hitman game and a Tomb Raider game to each do COD numbers

Original_Z posted:

Yeah, it’s bizarre how every western studio game was a sales disappointment. Meanwhile you had FF16 have a really low launch in Japan and overseas sales falling off fast and the company had to take a huge write off on the game but still framed it as “it performed within our expectations range.”
Remembering when Square-Enix asked a western developer to send them the latest work in progress build of their game

via fax

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Kins posted:

Remembering when Square-Enix asked a western developer to send them the latest work in progress build of their game

via fax
My favourite part of that story is that they were so frustrated by the insane demands and criticisms and they sent them a screenshot from one of the mainline Final Fantasy games and told them it was from the game they were working on (a Final Fantasy spinoff), and Squeenix responded that it didn't look enough like Final Fantasy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Volte posted:

My favourite part of that story is that they were so frustrated by the insane demands and criticisms and they sent them a screenshot from one of the mainline Final Fantasy games and told them it was from the game they were working on (a Final Fantasy spinoff), and Squeenix responded that it didn't look enough like Final Fantasy.

lmao im not familiar with this, but it tracks for the kinda company that Square is. How in the gently caress do they actually still release games that are masterpiece quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Anyone remember Secret of Evermore? Square doesn't, and we will assuredly never get any sort of modern rerelease because it was square usa