Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

MorningMoon posted:

Yes, there's the Pixel Remasters from last year that got put on everything.

Everything except Xbox, unfortunately. I ended up shelling out for a physical Switch version a while ago because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

90sgamer posted:

Everything I’m hearing about the Xbox showcase presentation in June sounds really exciting. It’s going to be the 2008 Election Day of gaming

I'm excited! Looking forward to Avowed, and Flight Sim 2024.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This video makes me want to play Wolfenstein again, it also makes me think about how cool a Wolfenstein ImSim would be

https://twitter.com/StealthGamerBR2/status/1789709307707101376

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Jeez I played FFXV during the lockdowns and holy poo poo, I don't think I'll ever forget it. :words:

I cried at the end and I don’t care who knows it. I enjoyed the hell out of FFXV. Love those bros, and damned if that Florence cover of Stand By Me doesn’t get me.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
DQ11 and the two Yakuza Lad games are up there in the top jrpgs as well. Just perfectly executed on the jrpg formula

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Harlock posted:

This video makes me want to play Wolfenstein again, it also makes me think about how cool a Wolfenstein ImSim would be

https://twitter.com/StealthGamerBR2/status/1789709307707101376

I see the nu-Wolfenstein games as extensions to the Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay formula and that was almost kinda-sorta an imsim already (not quite, but definitely informed by them). I'd like for them to go further in that direction if they were to go back to it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If only Microsoft had a studio that specialized in immersive sims

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

If only Microsoft had a studio that specialized in immersive sims

Bring back Microsoft Train Simulator.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

I said come in! posted:

Bring back Microsoft Train Simulator.

microsoft is the only one that has made a train sim that was both user friendly and also realistic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Celexi posted:

microsoft is the only one that has made a train sim that was both user friendly and also realistic.

yeeeeeep. Train Sim World loving sucks, and its so frustrating because its the only real train sim right now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Yes, there's the Pixel Remasters from last year that got put on everything.

Did they fix it?

Charles Martel posted:

Everything except Xbox, unfortunately. I ended up shelling out for a physical Switch version a while ago because of that.

Oh lol anyway.

(Would'nt've bought it. I have the Sony Play Station version and amn't going to pay twice for the same game.)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Now that we poo poo talked Square-Enix to the ground, time to do a reverse:
https://tdnet-pdf.kabutan.jp/20240513/140120240513592661.pdf (Square-Enix New Medium-term Business Plan (FY2025/3-FY2027/3))

quote:

Shift to a multiplatform strategy
Aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs
Build an environment where more customers can enjoy our titles in regards to major franchises and AAA titles including catalog titles
Devise a platform strategy for SD titles, too, that includes not only iOS and Android, but also the possibility of PC launches
Maximize the acquisition of new users when launching a title and that of recurring users after starting management of game operation

Step up digital sales
Maximize digital sales of new titles
Pursue initiatives designed to win over PC users, which represent a growth market
Extend title lifecycles and strengthen earnings base by expanding sales of catalog titles
Engage in strategic sales & marketing through collaboration between publishing functions in Japan and overseas

TLDR: Square-Enix games to all platforms, including Xbox and PC. Including past titles and new.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sony paid them for exclusivity for the games people would actually want

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sony paid them for exclusivity for the games people would actually want

Im already sick of how every indie game is a Foamstars-like now

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Harrow posted:

Maybe mainline Mario, though, but even then, they still have the same characters for the most part. Mainline Final Fantasy doesn't even have that, unless we count things like chocobos and moogles.

I didn't disagree with your overall point that FF as a series takes some real wild swings, but you say this as though lots of FF characters aren't basically interchangeable

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

MorningMoon posted:

When they cut the fat of all the western studios they couldn't really manage (due to Square Enix's own incompetence) they found themselves releasing like 3 excellent games a year, 10 okay games a year and 1 to 2 contenders for the worst game of the year every drat year for like 4 years straight. They've been building themselves up ever since they cut their losses on FFXV and started really learning Unreal Engine 4, allowing them to hire up people straight out of college plus reinforce their partnerships.

It's funny thinking the state of many in the industry trying to put out a game and then Square from September to December of 2022 put out 9 videogames. It was a terrible, stupid decision that sunk eight of those games, but gently caress, I can't think of anyone else ever putting out Voice of Cards 3, Various Daylife, Diofield Chronicles, Valkyrie Elysium, Star Ocean 6, Harvestella, Tactics Ogre Reborn, Dragon Quest Treasures, Crisis Core Reunion, an average of a game and a half every week.

Various Daylife

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

elf help book posted:

Various Daylife

To be fair, most of those game titles sound AI generated

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I still haven’t gotten over “Bravely Default”

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Kevyn posted:

me when i give up on paying off a loan

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

"Should I default on my mortgage because of my wife?" was just in the AITA thread.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Kevyn posted:

this one is featuring Sleve McDichaels and Willie Dustice

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Square Enix is probably the developer most at the height of creativity and output right now it's insane what they've been putting out the last few years

Not even counting Nintendo's usual output, Capcom has made RE7/8, Monster Hunter World/Rise, DMCV, Dragon's Dogma 2, excellent remake of RE2 in roughly the same timespan. Though I will say Squeenix has done a great job with the "classic" RPG front with Triangle Strategy, Octopath 2, and reviving Live A Live. Octopath 2 alone is probably one of the best RPGs that have ever come from the studio. Squeenix did pump out a LOT of stuff in an insane timeframe but you also got games like Diofield Chronicles and Harvestella that are boring at best(the latter) or at worst just horrific to control or play (the former).

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

elf help book posted:

Various Daylife

Which is a mobile game that was ported to console for $30 lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

:mmmhmm:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

elf help book posted:

Various Daylife

I assume every JRPG name I don't understand is some Kanji pun.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The update of last month's Fallout 4 update is now out on Xbox. I checked it out and it now finally has a 40fps option.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

But does it actually work if you turn it on?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah. The update is a "quick" one that fixes a few minor bugs mostly relating to things like Suspend mode on Xbox One (yes, the third one) and some issues with mods and DLC installs, as well as letting you pick a target of 30, 40 or 60fps, with a "performance" or "quality" option as well which will dynamically change settings to target the framerate you specify (40fps is only selectable for those with VRR displays). I don't think there's any actual in-game fixes for quest bugs or anything along those lines.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That Health song that plays during the airport shootout in Max Payne 3 came up in my playlist today and I was like "dang, maybe I should replay Max Payne 3" before I remembered the god awful unskippable cutscenes bullshit. I think listening to the song and remembering how cool the airport sequence was was good enough for me.

Were there any notable BC things done for MP3 for series x/s? That could potentially change the calculus for me but not holding my breath.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

That Health song that plays during the airport shootout in Max Payne 3 came up in my playlist today and I was like "dang, maybe I should replay Max Payne 3" before I remembered the god awful unskippable cutscenes bullshit. I think listening to the song and remembering how cool the airport sequence was was good enough for me.

Were there any notable BC things done for MP3 for series x/s? That could potentially change the calculus for me but not holding my breath.

Think it just runs really well at 30fps. I can't remember there being a resolution bump but maybe there was. The game rules, I played it again last year on Series X and couldn't believe how well it held up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It does rule, it has atmosphere to spare. It simulates having to deal with lovely stuff while suffering from the worst hangover ever better than anything.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

priznat posted:

It does rule, it has atmosphere to spare. It simulates having to deal with lovely stuff while suffering from the worst hangover ever better than anything.

Even disco elysium?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

hanyolo posted:

Even disco elysium?

Ok ALMOST better than anything. MP3 seems absolutely splitting headache inducing and yet is still enjoyable to play, it’s a pretty hard thing to get right.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
In future delistings news, a bunch of Xbox 360 games just went on sale for $9.99 or less. Most of these are not backward compatible. I already grabbed some of these earlier this year, but I'm going to get a few more.

quote:

There isn’t a known sale period associated with these titles so the deals could end, or the games could be outright delisted, at any time. It’s also possible that this another marketplace glitch or error and the prices will jump back up without notice so take a look and grab them while you can. I don’t have time to add the links here so use the TrueAchievements page to jump over to the Xbox 360 Marketplace or fire up your actual Xbox 360 if you’ve really got some time to kill.

Alien Rage – $0.99
Alone in the Dark – $3.74
ArcaniA – $4.99
Black Knight Sword – $2.49
Bloody Good Time – $0.99
Child of Light (XBLA) – $2.99
Cloudberry Kingdom – $1.99
Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon – $4.99
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Elements – $3.99
Dogfight 1942 – $0.99
Enemy Front – $0.99
Fantastic Pets – $4.99
Far Cry 4 – $5.99
Fighters Uncaged – $3.99
Final Exam – $1.64
Fireburst – $0.99
Geon – $1.49
Handball 16 – $1.99
Handball Challenge 14 – $0.99
Hunter’s Trophy 2 America – $0.99
Hunter’s Trophy 2 Australia – $0.99
Just Dance 2015 – $5.99
Just Dance 2016, 2018, 2019 – $7.99
Kane and Lynch:DeadMen – $2.99
Legend of Kay Anniversary – $7.49
Mini Ninjas Adventures – $1.49
MotionSports: Adrenaline – $3.99
MotionSports – $3.99
Murdered: Soul Suspect – $2.24
MX VS ATV Supercross – $7.49
My Body Coach 3 – $1.99
Panzer General – $0.99
PowerUp Heroes – $9.99
Puzzle Arcade – $1.49
Rabbids Invasion: The Interactive TV Show – $3.99
Raving Rabbids: Alive & Kicking – $3.99
Rise of the Tomb Raider – $7.99
Risen 3 Titan Lords – $7.49
RISK – $1.99
RISK: Urban Assault – $2.99
Rotastic – $0.99
Self-Defense Training Camp – $7.99
Sniper: Ghost Warrior – $0.69
Snipers – $1.99
Space Invaders Infinity Gene – $1.49
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory – $2.99
Star Raiders – $0.99
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 – $4.99
The Escapists – $2.99
Thief – $2.24
Tomb Raider – $4.99
Trials Fusion – $3.99
Valiant Hearts – $2.99
War World – $0.99
Watch Dogs – $3.99
Worms Revolution – $4.99
Worms: Ultimate Mayhem – $2.49
WRC 5 – $3.49
Yar’s Revenge – $0.99
Zeit² – $1.99
Zombie Driver HD – $2.49

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Also a reminder that the 360 marketplace shuts down on July 29th, about 11 weeks from now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Charles Martel posted:

In future delistings news, a bunch of Xbox 360 games just went on sale for $9.99 or less. Most of these are not backward compatible. I already grabbed some of these earlier this year, but I'm going to get a few more.

Tomb raiders are good, child of light is good. I don’t remember if Chaos Theory is one of the good Splinter Cells

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chaos Theory is very much one of the good splinter cells.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Replayed Chaos Theory a few weeks ago. Holds up incredibly well 10/10 game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Which was the splinter cell with the mercs vs spies multiplayer? That was cool, asymmetric multiplayer or whatever. Very neat idea.

I would very much like a new splinter cell game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

Chaos Theory is very much one of the good splinter cells.

The only computer video game soundtrack CD I bought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjHlfsdeF0w

(Also at some point I realized my copy of the game - which I bought brand new in Finland way back when - is an US release and that's why the box looks weird. Still works fine on a PAL Microsoft Xbox home computer system so :shrug:)