Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

DrManiac posted:

Man, they refuse to put this on sale for under $20

Thy refuse to give battlefield 4 a decent discount too. That poo poo's 2 years old and the best they've ever gone is half price.

Is the premium edition actually worth £12.50 (i'm only really interested in the single player campaign)?

edit: urgh, that's not even the complete version which is still £25, gently caress origin.

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As someone who likes Battlefield (although even I didn't buy Hardline), please don't play Battlefield for the single player campaign.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Finished Tales of the Borderlands. Glad I waited until it was all out, I hate episodic nonsense.

It is really really good. That whole end sequence was great.
"Oh @#$! Nobody's ever put me in charge of something so expensive! You, sir, are almost certainly going to regreat this!"

Loaderbot, best bot.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
The single player campaign for BF4 is a complete waste of your time unless you want the three gun unlocks for multiplayer. In that case, get someone's save.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Jamfrost posted:

The single player campaign for BF4 is a complete waste of your time unless you want the three gun unlocks for multiplayer. In that case, get someone's save.

The save on the PC thread's OP allows you to get all 6 unlocks by playing the last mission once. The SP is amazingly bland and aggresively boring.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
drat it, I have 3 indie-ish games I want to try but none of them are on substantial sale. Buying all 3 of them would be $27 which seems blasphemous, especially during a sale event, so could someone talk me down from getting any of them?

I might end up not getting Paint it Back (Because I already have a few mobile picross games) but I'm in desperate need of a casual non-bejeweled game to come down from all of the high intensity games I have.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Morter posted:

drat it, I have 3 indie-ish games I want to try but none of them are on substantial sale. Buying all 3 of them would be $27 which seems blasphemous, especially during a sale event, so could someone talk me down from getting any of them?

I have a sneaking suspicion there will be another big Steam sale within two months. Call it a hunch!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So your advice is to buy none of them right now? Okay :smith:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Paint it back is worth the 8 bucks imo. It's easier to control than mobile versions, and I got a solid 30+ hours out of 100% it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Morter posted:

So your advice is to buy none of them right now? Okay :smith:

Are you saying you've exhausted your steam backlog?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Are you saying you've exhausted your steam backlog?

No but other than bejeweled 3 casual mode I can't think of anything i have to occupy myself with while my hungover self waits for tea and stuff to be made.

also i love picross

and faerie solitaire

(might just end up getting I Shall Remain anyway)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

WW2, zombies, and ARPGs: overplayed genres that, when combined, managed to catch my eye. Thanks for posting about this game; I'll try it out since it's pretty drat cheap as-is and post about my impressions when I get the time.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

WW2, zombies, and ARPGs: overplayed genres that, when combined, managed to catch my eye. Thanks for posting about this game; I'll try it out since it's pretty drat cheap as-is and post about my impressions when I get the time.

Yeah I really don't care how overplayed a game or its themes are fun, and it looks like theres a decent amount of content to this game, plus the gameplay looked interesting to me

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
God drat it wrong thread.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd like to hear some opinions on a few games from my wishlist that happen to be on sale:

Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic - some kind of pixel art rpg/roguelike
The Deer God - a platformer where you're a deer, how does it compare to other well-known titles out there?
Dex - a side-scrolling cyberpunk RPG
Hand of Fate - some kind of card game
Castle In The Darkness - a metroidvania game
White Night - a stylish black and white adventure game
MISSING: An Interactive Thriller - a FMV adventure game which I hope is like a B movie

Any thoughts on these?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Palpek posted:

Hand of Fate - some kind of card game
Any thoughts on these?

I really wanted to like this but ended up returning it. The premise is really interesting but combat felt so stiff and annoying for me. I understand it's not going to be as smooth as Arkham/SoM but the problem is not merely the quality, but the clunkiness of the combat animations threw off my timing and I kept getting hit, or losing my combos/rhythm a lot more than I should have.

If that's something you can look past then by all means go for it. I just couldn't see myself playing much more of it without groaning at how not-smooth it was for me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Dex - a side-scrolling cyberpunk RPG

They really nailed the platforming and atmosphere in this one. The art is beautiful.

It's brought down a bit by the story and combat. The story is fairly cliche (but presented well) and the combat is a little bit of a mess. I still recommend it overall though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'll tell you where you can stick your opinion

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Has anyone here tried the Mega Man Legacy Collection? I was reading about the collection before it came out, and it sounded like they had worked pretty hard to port the game over, and that it wasn't just the games presented via an emulator. However, I heard it ended up having some issues with input lag and poor audio. One major thing I heard is that it mimics the slowdown effects as they would appear in the original game, but there's no way to disable it.

I was somewhat disappointed in the challenge levels. Mega Man is fully equipped in every challenge so gameplay is reduced to how fast you can get the Rush Jet or Magnet Beam out. It's cool for speedrunners who take advantage of glitches but it saps the fun out of it for those looking for a normal challenge.

If you are looking for :goonsay: on port quality the GAF thread is full of it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: Protip: Alienware are giving away coupons that stack with the sale discount :siren:

Shoutout to booram on IRC for finding it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Infinitum fired back at me with The Deer God in retaliation for my last gift to him. So now I'll be able to form my own opinion about it, thanks.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Has anyone checked out Endless Sky? Normally I skip the 'free to play' games, but I just happened to get curious on this one, after hovering over it and reading "inspired by the classic Escape Velocity series".

Oooooohhhhh??? I grew up on Macs, and I loving loved Escape Velocity.

Wait... no, it isn't inspired by Escape Velocity. It is Escape Velocity. It looks just like it. It plays just like it, down to the default controls using the arrow keys for ship control. It is essentially Escape Velocity 2015 with some marked improvements. The map navigation system is better, and I really appreciate how you can check prices of commodities from the map, so you can see where the high and low prices are. The game also includes a bank loan system; you start the game out taking a loan to buy your first ship, and you have to pay it off (at a stupid low interest rate). I'm only about an hour or two in, so I'm still using my first ship. Within another hour of game play I expect I'd be able to upgrade to a bigger shuttle, though I can't decide if I should focus on transporting people or cargo. My one complaint is the sound. Read the credits and you'll see the game is completely open source, and uses open source resources for the planet images and the sounds. There is no music, and audio from gameplay is sparce. They need to tweak the engine sounds; on my newbie shuttle, the sound 'pops' badly.

So... Escape Velocity, completely free-to-play, not freemium, open sourced with plugin mod support, available for Win, Linux and Mac.

SelenicMartian posted:

The final round of LEGO pictures for this update,

I haven't played this game since initial release. What are the biggest additions it has seen?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Palpek posted:

Infinitum fired back at me with The Deer God in retaliation for my last gift to him. So now I'll be able to form my own opinion about it, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcj3AnK__Wc&t=2s

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Morter posted:

I really wanted to like this but ended up returning it. The premise is really interesting but combat felt so stiff and annoying for me. I understand it's not going to be as smooth as Arkham/SoM but the problem is not merely the quality, but the clunkiness of the combat animations threw off my timing and I kept getting hit, or losing my combos/rhythm a lot more than I should have.

If that's something you can look past then by all means go for it. I just couldn't see myself playing much more of it without groaning at how not-smooth it was for me.

I liked and finished Hand of Fate myself, I had no major issues with the combat. The last couple of levels get really punishing but for the most part I had a lot of fun with the game, put about 25 hours into it.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I have bought several games off of Mexico origin using a VPN and haven't had any issues.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Revol posted:

I haven't played this game since initial release. What are the biggest additions it has seen?
More "biomes" (tile sets). Diving and sea life. Some characters are now unlocked through quests. More items work, e.g. the spyglass comes with a zoomed first-person view. The GUI is definitely improving.
It is a more polished and full experience than the initial release, but still an early version.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Can anybody tell if the Dead Island coupon will stack? Some comment said it didn't, and it didn't show up when trying to purchase it as a gift, but then again, the gift purchase transaction poo poo itself anyway and I have the game myself so I can't really tell.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Dead Island GOTY, Saint's Row 4 Game of the Century Edition, and Metro Redux coupons from there don't stack with other discounts.

Talos Principle, Shadow Warrior, Dropsy, Heavy Bullets, and OlliOlli 2 do.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Huh, I didn't realise Steam Controllers were in such high demand. Just flipped mine for a 25% profit despite it being used :shittypop:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ah, so i guess not :smith:, thanks

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Morter posted:

No but other than bejeweled 3 casual mode I can't think of anything i have to occupy myself with while my hungover self waits for tea and stuff to be made.

also i love picross

and faerie solitaire

(might just end up getting I Shall Remain anyway)

Couple of suggestions for you (the types of games you can chill out, lean back in your chair and use only a mouse to play while waiting for ____ to happen):

Everyday Genius: SquareLogic

Hero of the Kingdom and it's sequel

Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey (Remastered)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

toasterwarrior posted:

The survival mode is pretty fun.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ended up getting the 2 casual games--leaving I Shall Remain for maybe a cheaper price, or when they change the melee combat sound.

Thanks for the input though, guys.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

baram. posted:

Dead Island GOTY, Saint's Row 4 Game of the Century Edition, and Metro Redux coupons from there don't stack with other discounts.

Talos Principle, Shadow Warrior, Dropsy, Heavy Bullets, and OlliOlli 2 do.

I assume Talos Principle is just for the base game and doesn't apply to the DLC?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Palpek posted:

Castle In The Darkness - a metroidvania game

Yer killin me here

Zombie Samurai posted:

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2

5. Castle in the Darkness

I wanted to like this game so much.

And I did, too, for about three hours. Castle in the Darkness is an unapologetic love-letter to the 8-bit era of gaming, both in aesthetic and challenge. You play a peppy little knight who is the sole survivor of a curse that took hold of your castle. It's up to you to explore every corner of the kingdom to find all the gear and doodads you need to save the princess, and there is a LOT to find. The game is most like Simon's Quest if you ever played that. It's a side-scroller where the stages are stitched together into a continuous world, full of side paths and secrets. There's no map, but the level design is mostly direct enough that you should have no trouble navigating.

It's important to note that Castle holds nothing back in its fanatical adoration for the NES era. Enemies are pulled right from Metroid, Castlevania, Gargoyle's Quest, and even stuff like 8 Eyes and Magic of Scheherazade. Also in line with the bygone days of gaming is the challenge. The difficulty ramps up quickly, with enemies doing huge chunks of damage to you and more and more insta-kill spikes making appearances. Finding better weapons, armor, and spells can mitigate the former, but the latter will quickly become the bane of your existence.

There's no getting around it, sadly. Unless you're the kind of person who got Impossible Boy in Super Meat Boy, you're going to reach a point where the difficulty becomes too much. Mine was right at the end of the game, when I discovered that the final boss would take almost five minutes to kill and could kill me in maybe five hits. I started looking for more secrets that could help mitigate this, and got through an insane gauntlet of spikes and collapsing floors to find an even harder boss. As much as I (mostly) enjoyed the journey there, reaching that point of frustration and defeat soured me on the entire game. I really want to be able to recommend Castle in the Darkness, but I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer that same heartbreak.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Ragequit posted:

I assume Talos Principle is just for the base game and doesn't apply to the DLC?

correct.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Insurgency - https://humblebundle.com/gift?key=YfFCF(two)NKfzGn(four)xGT

Men of War: Assault Squad GOTY - https://humblebundle.com/gift?key=nhnCEbqM(three)fbCfNCz

Contagion (1) - https://humblebundle.com/gift?key=kyFkHNKZtE(seven)dm7F(seven)

Contagion (2) - https://humblebundle.com/gift?key=NHHc(CAPITAL_VEE)AHkfAZYvqm(CAPITAL_VEE)

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 31, 2015

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Zetsubou-san posted:

Men of War: Assault Squad GOTY

Grabbed this one. Much thanks.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 31, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

I took this one. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, has anyone played STASIS http://store.steampowered.com/app/380150/ ? It looks interesting and I seem to recall that one of the creators are posting on this forum.

• Locked thread