Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

Have you been inside of a Yam/Suz/Kaw/Hon dealership in the last three decades?

For the last three decades Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda have been playing follow the leader to Harley in the cruiser market... in NORTH AMERICA. In the rest of the world, they actually try to do more of their own thing when it comes to making a cruiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I bought my boulevard 109 specifically because it looked distinctive and different than the various cruiser clones. Though, that's at least in part because it was used and had some tasteful mods on it that made it look less like a hog and more like a triceratops.

Plus Goldwings seem to do alright. They're the ultimate definition of the term cruiser, I would think.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
this is a semantic argument i know, but i always believed a cruiser meant a harley or a bike that looked like a harley. a goldwing would be a touring bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The rules I've always used to distinguish them are by the seating position and the location of the controls. Sportbikes are leaned forward, with rearsets. Standards are upright or slightly leaned forward with mid controls, and cruisers are upright with forward controls. The MSF book had a great little picture of the differences, but it seems like they replaced it in one of the revisions of their guide book.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I find the harley thing tiresome, and would love to do anything to undermine it by applying the terms they use in their brochures to everything else I can think of.

Starting with the DN-01.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Plus Goldwings seem to do alright. They're the ultimate definition of the term cruiser, I would think.

naa, they are just 900lb sport bikes

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Coredump posted:

For the last three decades Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda have been playing follow the leader to Harley in the cruiser market... in NORTH AMERICA. In the rest of the world, they actually try to do more of their own thing when it comes to making a cruiser.

Interesting. In Mexico, which is in North America the last time I checked, easily 75% of the Japanese product offerings have you sitting bolt upright. For bikes actually on the road, I'd wager the percentage is higher, based on personal experience and witnessing some of the most hellacious traffic carving on the planet. Granted, they're in the sub-250cc range, but it works for the market and this is about ergos, not powerplants.

Categorization is a pointless conversational sinkhole, regardless of the topic. That said, I do agree with the gist of what you're saying, and wish they'd float more of the JDM stuff our way.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

Interesting. In Mexico, which is in North America the last time I checked, easily 75% of the Japanese product offerings have you sitting bolt upright. For bikes actually on the road, I'd wager the percentage is higher, based on personal experience and witnessing some of the most hellacious traffic carving on the planet. Granted, they're in the sub-250cc range, but it works for the market and this is about ergos, not powerplants.

Categorization is a pointless conversational sinkhole, regardless of the topic. That said, I do agree with the gist of what you're saying, and wish they'd float more of the JDM stuff our way.

You're saying that 75% of Japanese product offerings have you sitting upright, so it sounds like the majority of the Japanese bikes sold in Mexico are not cruisers, maybe they are UJM or standards. Which makes sense, its probably the same story in the US and Canada, where most of the bikes sold that are Japanese are NOT cruisers due to the fact that if people are going to buy a cruiser they tend to buy Harley. I wish that wasn't the case because I want to get away from so many of the douchey trends that Harley promotes. But Harley is the best at what they do because other motorcycle manufacturers won't grow a pair and do their own thing here and insist on trying to out-Harley Harley Davidson and its just not going to work.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Cruisers aren't about sitting positions so much as looking like Harleys or more specifically older American made motorcycles, a rut that Harley has never succeeded in breaking out of.

Content:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Whats with the training wheels and the....metal bar thing?

I'm guessing its some sort of TV/Movie trailer rig.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

wormil posted:

Cruisers aren't about sitting positions so much as looking like Harleys or more specifically older American made motorcycles, a rut that Harley has never succeeded in breaking out of.

I'm going to have to disagree with you and follow what Z3n posted with the ergonomics of the bike determining whether its a cruiser or not. I think that Harley is just one style of cruiser, and the most popular style. But I don't think that style defines the whole genre.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Coredump posted:

But Harley is the best at what they do because other motorcycle manufacturers won't grow a pair and do their own thing here and insist on trying to out-Harley Harley Davidson and its just not going to work.

No argument here re: cruiser market share, even if the link doesn't support it (18-34 isn't exactly the Road King target crowd--these people are buying Sporty variants.) Whether that's a matter of taste or finances, only Eaglemark Bank knows for sure. But if the Japanese couldn't turn a buck, they'd have cut and run during the tariff wars of the 80s. Maybe it's strategic and they fully recognize the folly in trying to be #1 in 'Merkuh (witness Toyota). God knows it's not a technical/engineering limitation.

I'm less annoyed by them copying HD than I am with them copying each other. Do we really need a Suzuki cruiser that's indistinguishable from a Yamaha cruiser, etc? If they're truly in semi-collusion, couldn't they be smarter about it and trade segments with one another, making room for the sorts of bikes we all clearly prefer?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheDon01 posted:

Whats with the training wheels and the....metal bar thing?

I'm guessing its some sort of TV/Movie trailer rig.

It's Keira Knightley for a commerical or something.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Marv Hushman posted:

Do we really need a Suzuki cruiser that's indistinguishable from a Yamaha cruiser, etc?

The problem is, if they don't bother with the C version of their various big bikes, where the vstars look like the boulevards look like the vulcans look like the whatever, then they basically cede all the sales in that price range (harley davidson bike - 8000$) to the competitors that stay in, or to harley. Or, god help us, Kymco.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

frozenphil posted:

I'm reposting this because someone posted it on my local sportbike site again and it makes me laugh every time because it is so accurate. All of our group rides are posted with the expected rider threat level color. It really helps new people to the group understand what kind of behavior is acceptable on any given group ride.

I'm pretty much always at orange on a pushbike... minus the burnouts of course.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Budgie posted:

I'm pretty much always at orange on a pushbike... minus the burnouts of course.

How are you speeding? Do you only ride in trailer parks?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slim Pickens posted:

How are you speeding? Do you only ride in trailer parks?

I used to regularly speed on my pushbike; though the highest speed limit where i live is 35mph, with a few 25s thrown in, so it's actually pretty pathetic.

Edit: Obviously now I have a motorbike, I speed pretty much all the time, but so does everyone around here.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I've been pulled over on my pedal bike :(

Content:

Service roads for cell towers are extra fun because you still get service. I've been browsing Google's satellite/terrain maps, looking for interesting poo poo.

It'd be nice to have a small air compressor for the on/off road switch. Knobbies handle surprisingly well at higher pressure.

VV just a warning VV

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 11, 2010

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Getting a speeding ticket on a bicycle is even lamer than getting a DUI on one(or a skateboard, for that matter).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slim Pickens posted:

Getting a speeding ticket on a bicycle is even lamer than getting a DUI on one(or a skateboard, for that matter).

The only time I've ever run from police is when they tried to pull me over for speeding on my mountainbike at NAU. :v:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BlackMK4 posted:

The only time I've ever run from police is when they tried to pull me over for speeding on my mountainbike at NAU. :v:

Did you get away?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Gullous posted:

Service roads for cell towers are extra fun because you still get service. I've been browsing Google's satellite/terrain maps, looking for interesting poo poo.

It'd be nice to have a small air compressor for the on/off road switch. Knobbies handle surprisingly well at higher pressure.
Check out the Bing maps 'Birds Eye' view too, that's how I've found a bunch of decent roads near me, especially if your Google maps sat views are a little out of date. You can rotate by 90 degrees too.

Also, all the cell phone tower access roads near me are fenced off, with 'no trespassing' signs all over them. :( Though, truth be told, around me most of them are pretty short, I think.

edit: here's an example of how close you can get.

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 11, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wormil posted:

Did you get away?

Of course, I went supermoto on those bitches as I ditched the road and went offroading. :coal: Brapppp

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

No argument here re: cruiser market share, even if the link doesn't support it (18-34 isn't exactly the Road King target crowd--these people are buying Sporty variants.) Whether that's a matter of taste or finances, only Eaglemark Bank knows for sure.

Bullshit: Harley’s young-adult market share and other damned lies

This is an article from Hell For Leather which calls bullshit on Harley's claim from earlier this summer. Looks like I was totally wrong. I feel strangely relieved about that.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Coredump posted:

This is an article from Hell For Leather which calls bullshit on Harley's claim from earlier this summer. Looks like I was totally wrong. I feel strangely relieved about that.

Your conclusion was actually correct, but you got swindled by MoCo stats. Shame they don't publish sales figures by model, because I'd be interested to see how they count Sportsters. Do they dare call an Iron 883 a cruiser?

All good--if it weren't for this discussion, I would have never known about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxHFH6ffDJk&feature=player_embedded

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an abandoned velodrome to find...

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
So, I'm looking to upgrade my KLR's headlights a little bit and-

:stare:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

sklnd posted:

So, I'm looking to upgrade my KLR's headlights a little bit and-

:stare:
I find that pic to be funny.. though I found my KLR headlight lights as well as my car does.. Maybe I have an upgraded bulb or something? I think they just take a regular 4x6 car light or something. At the very least, it's the best motorcycle headlight I've used.. Maybe just try a headlight for $15/20 before you redo the whole thing into :stare:

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
The headlight sucks at highway speed. On superslab I always feel like I'm overrunning it.

Random internet forums suggest that the wiring harness is the limiting factor as far as powering the headlight goes. I might get out the multimeter and see if I can't build a better harness to hang off the battery if indeed the stocker isn't all it can be. Aftermarket stuff is about $50, and I think I can do as good for less.

After that, the bike is capable of powering a better light, so upgrading that and the housing to handle more heat is an option.

And yes, I posted the image because it is hilarious.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I hope the riders of this thing weren't planning on having kids. More.

anothertenbux
Aug 17, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Is the fuel tank between the engine and the rear shock there?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
No, it's in the bash guard you can see the filler cap on the left.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

anothertenbux posted:

Is the fuel tank between the engine and the rear shock there?

Overflow bottle.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Whoa...that single sided swing arm front end. The frame geometry, the engine. Everything is just weird. That's what I call exotic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I hope the riders of this thing weren't planning on having kids. More.

Holy poo poo, the big thick, almost comstar-like spokes on those wheels are sexy as hell

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That picture came from here:
http://moto-works.bravejournal.com/

There is a shitload of awesome pictures there.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

I wonder how hot that gets for the rider.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Its getting me hot just from looking at it

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlackMK4 posted:

That picture came from here:
http://moto-works.bravejournal.com/

There is a shitload of awesome pictures there.

I love the billet-framed monkey bikes at the bottom.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
The proper way for supermotos to take every corner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blHB-7GdG4U&feature=related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrZig posted:

The proper way for supermotos to take every corner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blHB-7GdG4U&feature=related

I noticed today when I was coming back to the house that there is a growing collection of arced tire marks outside the last corner to my house :)