Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

You won't get a decent video card for under $100 dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Duggler posted:

You won't get a decent video card for under $100 dollars

My eyes do roll. I don't care about even 1080p gaming here. We are talking like few year old games. I don't care if it can push 40+ FPS on BF4 or something.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Maybe a 560Ti would be a good choice? You're probably in good graces with a lot of goons, maybe somebody can offer their old card to you for cheap.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ShaneB posted:

My eyes do roll. I don't care about even 1080p gaming here. We are talking like few year old games. I don't care if it can push 40+ FPS on BF4 or something.
Then just get the highest-numbered Radeon or GeForce card (depending on your preference) you can find for a price you're happy with. Radeons are generally better in the price:performance metrics at virtually every price point, but not enormously so.

Also, saying you want to play "newish" games that are "a few years old" is contradictory.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
This looks like a good thread for you: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634293

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

DrDork posted:

Then just get the highest-numbered Radeon or GeForce card (depending on your preference) you can find for a price you're happy with. Radeons are generally better in the price:performance metrics at virtually every price point, but not enormously so.

Also, saying you want to play "newish" games that are "a few years old" is contradictory.

Depends on your definition of newish, I guess? :( He can probably just keep using his 5XXX series AMD card but that seems cruel.

Thanks for this.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 16, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Such regret

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

DrDork posted:

For what it's worth, entry level Geforce cards are literally garbage. Nvidia doesn't even try to be competitive in that range.

randoark
May 9, 2003
Whoso pulleth this linoleum knife from this milkman is rightwise king born of England!
Same guy who was selling those 290's on the previous page has put up a bunch of 270x's:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=fdcdeals&_sop=10

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Such regret

I keep looking at this and feeling bad http://www.ebay.com/itm/Litecoin-SC...=item35d4d8e492

I mean, I hope they made money... I guess

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ignoarints posted:

I keep looking at this and feeling bad http://www.ebay.com/itm/Litecoin-SC...=item35d4d8e492

I mean, I hope they made money... I guess

I hate it when people dont put backplates on the loving motherboards.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
That setup looks so bottom dollar I wonder how much the initial hard cost was.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

That setup looks so bottom dollar I wonder how much the initial hard cost was.

Auction says a million dollars.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
How much longer do I need to wait for next Nvidia WHQL drivers that would include the performance benefits of the April's beta version? I'm not so keen on using beta drivers.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Rosoboronexport posted:

How much longer do I need to wait for next Nvidia WHQL drivers that would include the performance benefits of the April's beta version? I'm not so keen on using beta drivers.

Unknown, as the Titan Z might be holding back drivers so it's anyone's guess when nVidia will release WHQL-certified ones.

New beta drivers (337.81) were released just yesterday, though.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
On the Gigabyte website they recommend a 600W PSU for the 780ti GHz Edition. Do they mean your whole system needs at least a 600W PSU? Or that the card itself will consume 600W?

Edit: I have this PSU http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=363

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The card is rated for 250. The rest of your system will bring that close to 400. (When it's idle, of course, everything on your desk aside from lamps will add up to well under 100W.) For efficiency's sake you'd be looking in the 550~650W section of the build thread's OP.

Normally power supply ratings are hyperbolic, because graphics card sellers don't want to take the hit when someone's card stopped working because their Diablotek power supply lived down to its name and well-deserved ill reputation. This time it just happens to be close to accurate.

EDIT: That one should be fine.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Rosoboronexport posted:

Just use the betas, they're fine.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Welmu posted:

Unknown, as the Titan Z might be holding back drivers so it's anyone's guess when nVidia will release WHQL-certified ones.

New beta drivers (337.81) were released just yesterday, though.

Where can I get these? Not up on nVidia's driver search or anything. Are they a Win8 specific branch or something? I'm still using Windows 7 x64 because the audio industry drags rear end in supporting new OSes for some fairly solid but still frustrating reasons.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Guru3D offfers them for download: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/download_nvidia_geforce_337_81_beta_driver.html

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Rosoboronexport posted:

No time because you should use beta drivers. It's not like a beta bios or something.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Oh, duh, it's just been so damned long since I had to go off the reservation for anything I forget where the old sources are. Heh. Which puzzles me, too - few days back, weird release notes, no driver; now, a driver, with no finalized release notes. Barebones info, sure, but "working on" the finished notes. I guess that's why it's not up on Experience or on their site? Either way, I'm going to wait for the full release notes before installing, as I don't run SLI and everything is nice and stable for me at the moment.

Word seems to be that people are finding it continues the DirectX/D3D optimizations and extends it further. AMD's Mantle has been pretty stellar for the industry in terms of just putting a boot up the rear end of everyone not trying hard enough, at least; which, I think, is mirrored in nVidia's G-Sync tech. Though of the two of them, I figure in the final analysis it'll be AMD who gets more people actually using the wholly proprietary technology, since it's free if you've got the right card. Getting thorough vblank control implemented into the DP standard in a more official capacity is probably a better way to go than having to stick a FPGA off into some special monitor, I'm going to guess the solution that appears free to consumers will win versus the complicated and pricy one (even though companies will need to spend money make it work as well as G-Sync works, another addition to the amazingly huge driver packages we have these days - anyone remember when drivers were like 8MB? Hahaha).

I haven't been active in this thread lately because there just hasn't been much to talk about, by the by - business as usual makes for boring conversation, and I haven't seen anything in rendering lately that's just blowing me away either. A lot of the heavy-duty AAA games these days seem to be in one way or another CPU bound, which is great, we know that problem, everyone's working on that problem, but it's not really worth talking about; yeah, Thief is great and interestingly enough system memory bandwidth bound, of all the things, but stick 1600MHz effective or greater into your rig and you'll be fine. The underlying issue is sure interesting, but the solution is so rote that it isn't all that fun to talk about, y'know?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 16, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

I haven't seen anything in rendering lately that's just blowing me away either.

Yeah, where's our everything ray-traced at 60+FPS capable hardware?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, where's our everything ray-traced at 60+FPS capable hardware?

It's coming(tm).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Agreed posted:

Oh, duh, it's just been so damned long since I had to go off the reservation for anything I forget where the old sources are. Heh. Which puzzles me, too - few days back, weird release notes, no driver; now, a driver, with no finalized release notes. Barebones info, sure, but "working on" the finished notes. I guess that's why it's not up on Experience or on their site? Either way, I'm going to wait for the full release notes before installing, as I don't run SLI and everything is nice and stable for me at the moment.

I think because it's such a limited hotfix for Dell 4K monitors or whatever that is otherwise identical to the current betas, they figure people with the issue will go looking for it and don't need more documentation.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

if you don't mind refurbed

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121642R
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202107

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Good idea.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
Is $310 a good deal on a 290x used for mining? It's Sapphire and it looks like no transferable warranty.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
A good deal? lol yes, however, I'm sure you know the risk here.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002

Ignoarints posted:

A good deal? lol yes, however, I'm sure you know the risk here.

Yeah exactly. I know its a good deal price wise but after thinking more about it I'll probably go with a regular MSI 290 with a warranty.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Strategy posted:

Yeah exactly. I know its a good deal price wise but after thinking more about it I'll probably go with a regular MSI 290 with a warranty.
It's not really even a good price, if you stop and think about it. You can easily get used 3rd party-cooler 290's off Amazon for $330, especially the Gigabyte Windforce ones. Because they actually can cool the GPU properly, those 290's can actually out-perform the reference-cooler 290X's, especially if you bother to overclock the 290 further (good luck overclocking a reference 290X). So at that point you're really getting a similar/inferior product for the same price, and oh by the way it's gonna be loud as loving hell in the meantime.

Unless you plan on waterblocking it or something, there's literally no reason to get a reference 290X instead of a 3rd-party 290.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Do you guys remove your old drivers before installing new ones? If so, what should I use to wipe out the remnants that get leftover?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I do not, I just check clean installation (if that actually makes a difference, I don't know).

I'd like to know though because I have to reinstall drivers every single time I change my GPU configuration (does not like going from sli to single and vice versa) which is something like 8 times already this year, so I'm probably a good candidate for it. However it always seemed like a major pain in the rear end

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have any impressions they can share about Nvidia shadowplay? I'm just curious if there are any drawbacks as well as how easy it would be to stream to Twitch with it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
My connection is too poor to stream, but the recording itself is fantastic. I've not noticed any FPS hit (on a 780 ti to be fair). Seems like around 2%. High quality recordings that have the option of adding your microphone on top. The only issue I would bring up is that Shadowplay records with a variable frame rate, which throws many editing programs for a loop. I believe Sony Vegas can handle it, but I just use AVI Demux (which is free) to do bare-bones editing stuff. You have the option to manually record or just hit a button and automatically save the last X minutes of gameplay.

Here's an example video I recently posted to Youtube for a buddy I play BF4 with who was wondering the same stuff. I turned my mic off for this recording so it was just the dude I was playing with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqsXfbannfo

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Eonwe posted:

Does anyone have any impressions they can share about Nvidia shadowplay? I'm just curious if there are any drawbacks as well as how easy it would be to stream to Twitch with it.

It absolutely kicks rear end and is like nothing else I've ever used. The impact on performance is incredibly low. The DVR like function is kick rear end. 5 fps drop for me at best

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ignoarints posted:

It absolutely kicks rear end and is like nothing else I've ever used. The impact on performance is incredibly low. The DVR like function is kick rear end. 5 fps drop for me at best

I've used it a bit on Planetside 2 and I did detect a performance hit with it just running (780ti), not broadcasting but it just doing it's auto-record thing. It was very minimal and only noticed it when it was turned off upon updating my drivers. I don't actually make youtubes or twitch stream so it was pointless to me. However, Ignoarints is right. It's totally unlike any other streaming option as it Just Works™.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Every so often I would find that it's not working when I start a game, which then requires me to quit both the game and use GeForce Experience to turn it off/on again to get it to work, but when it's working, it's great.

Though I wish it was smarter about what audio it records - the option for "game only" is actually "everything except microphone" - so if you're using Vent or something at the same time, it'll also record the stuff coming through that.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
^^^ There are tricks to get around that iirc.

Eonwe posted:

It's (mostly) great for local recordings, but it's only decent for streaming.

Shadowplay is very dependent on high bitrates to look good, which is problematic since you're never going to go above 3.5Mbps when using Twitch. For streaming at 30FPS, this isn't too much of a problem, but still doesn't look nearly as sharp as something like OBS. But for streaming at 60FPS, it can go from looking kinda not great, down to looking downright ugly, depending on the game. Also, since Shadowplay depends on high bitrates for it's local recordings, you'll need to re-encode them at a lower bitrate so that Youtube doesn't murder your file.

Steaming with it also has it's own share of limitations, such as (but not limited to) not having a press-to-talk option, only being able to stream in fullscreen (though you can stream your desktop now, so it's not DX limited), and few options to adjust the quality of your stream besides picking your resolution and a bitrate slider.

Shadowplay is still more than ideal if you're CPU limited at all, and the quality degradation is arguably subjective depending on your expectations. I would say that it shines the most when it comes to streaming/recording emulators (PCSX2/Dolphin) and CPU-heavy games that are currently out at 60FPS. Anything that doesn't heavily tax your CPU, however, is probably better paired up with dxtory/OBS.

With all that said, I should also mention that Shadowplay is extremely simple to set up, and if you just stream something on a whim it takes literally no effort at all to do. For most users, this is all it needs to be, and that's fine IMO.

Hace fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Woops I was probably over enthusiastic. I don't know anything about streaming (or frankly, what its for) and it's performance. And the audio thing is weird about voip (one sided convos recorded) but I'll look up workarounds since Hace mentioned it

But I mean overall, Shadowplay was very unexpected and cool. I was more accustomed to the performance hit from fraps and related things so this blew me away.