Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Is there any good tutorials or manuals on how to play through the battles on this?
What about when people ask for help? I also think the map is awful because I can barely make stuff out and I can never tell where to go when people ask for help.

You get a bigger map if you pause the game in battle then you can go into a menu called Battlefield Info or something that lists all the officers and bases and shows where they are on the map more clearly than the minimap. For most battles the goal is to take the enemy main camp and/or kill the commander, the commanders usually dont show up on the map until you have captures the bases connecting to their main base. You can also set secondary objectives (kill 4 officers, capture 3 bases, dont go below 75% troops) for yourself at the start of the battle that will earn you extra merit points, you can choose up to four secondary objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

Is anyone else completely stagger immune in 8 Empires? I know the tutorial popup says if you have more defensive bases you get more resistance (with X? having immunity), but I'm seemingly immune all the time.

It makes things way too easy if I never get interrupted.

lurksion posted:

I did some testing in Free Mode on this stagger/flinching/being interrupted. Level difference and difficulty seems to the variables that affect this.
TLDR: On any non-Chaos difficulty, you will not get flinched/staggered unless the enemy considerably out-levels you. Koei is retarded.
This was and still is driving me crazy - is no one else encountering this? I pulled out CheatEngine and OBS and did some more testing and recorded it.

Here's a Free Mode, Hard, Level 55/55, no equipped items, ending up with a defense stat of 616:
https://gfycat.com/MildBleakGazelle
Just sitting there and taking that no problem. I then reduced my defense to 401 (this was the breakpoint) and suddenly:
https://gfycat.com/EducatedSickDachshund
Also at some point between 401 and 616, some of the charge attacks (such as the knockup that does nothing in the first video) start having an effect. This also is affected by attack/defense buffs on the enemy and you, as well as the weapon triangle - advantage or even would need even lower defense to be knocked around.

So if I'm not being flinched/interrupted by attacks, I can get off any attack string of my choice at any time, and run away from any dangerous attack at will.

Is no one else seeing this?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 7, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So anyone can get Lu Bu's no-flinch-ever with enough defence power.

At a guess? It's probably an artifact from when NPC levelling was entirely title-based. Lu Bu's title was pretty much the outright best, putting you at about 60-odd(Though I'm probably mis-remembering), and of course the mains were and are powerful by virtue of strong titles.

But I couldn't tell you-my experience is minimal.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 7, 2015

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Hey you beautiful bastards, I want one of these game for PC. Which ones would you recommend? I'm hoping some people have experience with this, ideally using the wired xbox 360 controller. I played one of the Dynasty Warriors on PS2 and loved it, but I am sure there are new exciting things happening now.

Edit: I see DW8 is an option, but any other good titles for PC in the last few years?

Oryp fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 7, 2015

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dragon Quest Heroes DLC footage. Psaro fight starts at 3:20, and playable Psaro footage starts at 7:13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVGhGTVjWKY

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

God drat it. I did the Rescue the City multiple times when I was a Free Officer, but now that I have my Free Spirit title and a vagabond unit and I'm trying to get Ultimate Mercenary Captain, I can't get it or Defend the Treasury to spawn. I have the same level of virtue I did when it spawned originally, so it must not be that, and I've got B relationship with the ruler of my territory, which is better than what I had before. I just can't get it to spawn.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Oryp posted:

Hey you beautiful bastards, I want one of these game for PC. Which ones would you recommend? I'm hoping some people have experience with this, ideally using the wired xbox 360 controller. I played one of the Dynasty Warriors on PS2 and loved it, but I am sure there are new exciting things happening now.

Edit: I see DW8 is an option, but any other good titles for PC in the last few years?

I'm pretty sure DW8: XL and Empires are the only options on pc, besides DW:4 Hyper

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Warriors Orochi is on pc as well,. It's actually my favorite Musou game, but I would still recommend DW8XL.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And Bladestorm's new release will be on Steam.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Minor question, how do I save in Dynasty Warriors 8 on Steam when playing the story mode? I did a save in-mission, but is the game saving the process I did with the campaign when I did this or there some other menu to make a save for that?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

It auto saves after each mission, win or lose.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kly posted:

It auto saves after each mission, win or lose.

Oh good, I didn't want to find out the hard way if it didn't. I was a little worry since the in-mission save is a temp save.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I somehow recruited the Power Rangers when I was going through Empire mode. Then I think I got a narrow victory because I decided to take them with me on a mission and like 4 of them left to join another kingdom. gently caress them.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

I somehow recruited the Power Rangers when I was going through Empire mode. Then I think I got a narrow victory because I decided to take them with me on a mission and like 4 of them left to join another kingdom. gently caress them.
Narrow victories are when you're defending a province and the enemy captures the secondary objective. Then they (randomly?) capture some of your dudes and can recruit/release/execute, and also you take province damage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The Power Rangers came to my game and took over the entire eastern side of China.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It would be kind of cool to kind of VGCW the hell out of Empires mode, but im not sure if that is possible. I haven't really messed with the Edit mode.

I also came across a Sephiroth.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I was spared a Sephiroth, in exchange for an AAAAANew Unit headed by New Officer taking over about three territories and being generally bland.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

I was spared a Sephiroth, in exchange for an AAAAANew Unit headed by New Officer taking over about three territories and being generally bland.

Created characters are a wonderful mismatch of terrible self-inserts, copies of characters from other media, attempts by people who couldn't figure out the editor, and a handful of characters that mesh well with the setting.

It's both amazing and terrible to behold, though I am making it a point to copy any decent characters I come across so that one day I can turn off the random crap and just use the ones I've hand picked.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
My minigun-wielding cowboy fits perfectly well with the setting, I'll have you know. :colbert:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
My ruler doesn't believe in secure borders

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

At least that'll make getting the "fight with three kingdoms simultaneously" title easier?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Lotish posted:

At least that'll make getting the "fight with three kingdoms simultaneously" title easier?

Yeah I got that title, although I don't need it for the Tall and Handsome way of life. I joined that faction because it already had 5 female officers.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Largepotato posted:

Yeah I got that title, although I don't need it for the Tall and Handsome way of life. I joined that faction because it already had 5 female officers.

I managed to do that as a Free Officer, just by spamming interact every time I moved to a city that had a female officer in it. One thing to note for anyone else doing that: if you marry someone who is serving in a kingdom, it immediately forces you to join their kingdom even if you already had a vagabond unit.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
was DW8E as buggy as people were complaining about or is the PC version mostly playable?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Max is impressed with his new way of life.

Verviticus posted:

was DW8E as buggy as people were complaining about or is the PC version mostly playable?

They fixed the worst of it.

The main problem now is being so far behind the Japanese version in patches. The US versions are missing a lot of small improvements.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Largepotato posted:

Max is impressed with his new way of life.

So, did he grew a couple of inches or did he start lying all of a sudden?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Fat Samurai posted:

So, did he grew a couple of inches or did he start lying all of a sudden?

Possibly.

His son inherited his Tall and Handsome genes though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The tactic you get from the late-game way of life Mighty Warriors (Stalwart Veteran, Solid Fortress, Inimitable, Lightning Fast, Elusive Knave, Raging Lion, Invasion Expert(30 successful invasions) is apparently Asura's Might, which just destroys turrets in one hit. :what: My first character spawned with that tactic, and a damage buff lets me destroy a turret in three-four hits while also letting me hurt people faster while having a smaller fee.

Also, if you're trying to earn Lightning Fast, it says you need to suppress 5 territories in a year, and what they mean is you need to have five successful invasions in a year--if you take over a kingdom with five territories in one battle, it won't count. I suppressed half of China and wiped out three kingdoms before I got the title.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So Zhuge Liang decided to be a huge bro and give me the Wind Altar tactic. I didn't think much of it at first, until I realized that using it once set the weather to Gale which doubled the effectiveness of all of my Fire Attacks.

It's a little pricey needing to use 2 tactics, but if you drop the altar right outside your starting base so you have more time to recover TP it's not too bad (plus you only need to use one altar).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A good combo I found is it use the Gale Tactic at the start of a map, then use the Inferno. The Gale chases enemy commanders off the map and sets things to wind, doubling the effectiveness of the fire later, and they last long enough to benefit from each other, so you can reduce their officers on the field and then blitz their bases. The wind also juggles officers for you and does good damage to turrets, but that's random luck.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I picked up a skill that lets you take over an enemy tower. Nice to have around when the enemy drops one in a good position.

One of the things I do now is only use skills I either start with, pick up from way of life changes, or get from my spouse/blood siblings.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 10, 2015

5er
Jun 1, 2000

blackguy32 posted:

Dynasty warriors 8 empires

A big part of any Empires game when you're battling in the field, is issuing orders to your subordinate officers from the pause menu. I don't ever let my officers gently caress around by their own free will. Bases along the edge of your control should have officers set to defending them. Periodically check the map to see where the enemy officers are loving around, and be prepared to issue new commands for officers to reinforce eachother, or just prepare to do the running around & clearing out.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is there a tangible reward for doing orders given on the field? Like extra merits or morale? Or is it just a fun little mini-objective

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
How do I spend the bonus points I acquired? I know you spend them on bonuses for the next Empire mode you start, but I've tried starting a whole bunch of different scenarios and I haven't been given the option to spend them.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

7seven7 posted:

How do I spend the bonus points I acquired? I know you spend them on bonuses for the next Empire mode you start, but I've tried starting a whole bunch of different scenarios and I haven't been given the option to spend them.

There are additional options on the menu where you pick your difficulty, which created officers you use, etc. You have to hit a button (at work, can't check) to change to the next page of options.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
So, has 8E changed Rebellion any, such that you can start your new kingdom with more than three subordinates? Gotta tell you, serving Dong Zhuo (with the express intent of rebelling as soon as I got my bravery up, because gently caress that guy), only to have Cao Cao, Cao Ren, Zhang Liao, and loving Lu Bu all hate my guts afterward in 7E has been kind of a mind boggling experience. Having this happen when I only got around to oath brothering one guy instead of two (and marrying nobody) has made it a dangerous one.

Seriously though, Lu Bu. The guy who historically rebelled and killed him on his own, and one of his lieutenants who happily followed the usurper on one hand, and one of the major warlords in the coalition to overthrow Dong Zhuo on the other. I know it's RNG that got the Cao family to join, but oy vey.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If you're strategist or marshal I believe you can rebel while keeping most of the kingdom's assets and officers.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

7seven7 posted:

You can buy tactics, weapons & items from Options in the starting menu.

Then you can start with them unlocked when creating a new campaign.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Largepotato posted:

You can buy tactics, weapons & items from Options in the starting menu.

Then you can start with them unlocked when creating a new campaign.

Thanks!