Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lay on Hands posted:

I'm not really sure what even might be the cause of this problem, but I looked through the last couple posts as best I could, and didn't see anyone else reporting this. So, in short, any time I try to load a thread on my iPhone, the app tells me that I'm in a Starbucks?

Might be a weird caching thing? You might try logging out and back in to clear the cache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Might be a weird caching thing? You might try logging out and back in to clear the cache.

Tried that, which didn't work. Deleted the app and reinstalled it, and the problem has apparently solved itself.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I genuinely have no idea what that was :stare: I thought the app ate poo poo if even a single tag was out of place...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Had you at least been to a Starbucks wifi thing recently? I wonder if the semi-shared webview stuff got confused somehow.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Had you at least been to a Starbucks wifi thing recently? I wonder if the semi-shared webview stuff got confused somehow.

I was in a Starbucks a day or two before the problem started, but I didn't connect to the wifi there or anything like that. :iiam:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lay on Hands posted:

I was in a Starbucks a day or two before the problem started, but I didn't connect to the wifi there or anything like that. :iiam:

Holy water it is, then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you so much for embedded twotes.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Bug report: The latest beta is crashing when I view anyone's rap sheet.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Bug report: The latest beta is crashing when I view anyone's rap sheet.

Please stop looking at my rap sheet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Actually, Tusen Takk's is OK, but shorter ones (less than one page?) are not. Hope that helps debug!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Subjunctive posted:

Actually, Tusen Takk's is OK, but shorter ones (less than one page?) are not. Hope that helps debug!

It did!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This may be relevant at some point: https://twittercommunity.com/t/upcoming-change-to-embedded-tweet-display-on-web/66215

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ain't that a kick in the nuts

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it breaks us. Which, it will, because widgets.js had to be packaged with the app. I also love the super precise "in the coming days".

Move fast and break things!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Strongly suspect the old widgets.js will keep working for long enough for us to move over smoothly. The new JS will continue to generate the current content for down-rev browsers, so the network API should remain compatible with what our local widgets.js emits. If iOS WebView does sDOM then we'll want the improved version when it's out, though.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

This happens when I use split screen sometimes

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheMightyHandful posted:

Ditto

I feel like the repro steps involve some permutation of enabling/disabling split view, with or without a thread open, and backgrounding the app

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Split view as in multitasking? Or as in "hide sidebar in landscape"?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

As in split view multitasking on my iPad Pro 9.7"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

TheMightyHandful posted:

As in split view multitasking on my iPad Pro 9.7"

I see the rectangle briefly if I rotate from portrait to landscape while split view is active and I'm looking at a thread or forum list. It looks like you got it to appear all the time? Can you remember what you did?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

My Awful app seems convinced that page 29 of the current USPOL thread is the final page of the thread, insofar as pull-for-next-page isn't working and it's only doing pull-to-refresh on page 29. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774247&perpage=40&pagenumber=29
Note there's like 35 pages right now, which I'm pretty sure means there's a page 30!

This has persisted even after I tried several things:
• opening the thread anew by tapping on it from my bookmarks (after marking as read a post so it would load page 29); still refreshes on a page 29 pull
• returning to page 28 then pulling successfully for page 29; page 29 still pulls to refresh
• and force-quitting Awful and trying from what I figured would be a fresh state; yep pull to refresh page 29.

Currently playing: 📲⁉️
Mood: 💸🔙

(Hey neat, some emoji have italics forms.)

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Abjad Soup posted:

My Awful app seems convinced that page 29 of the current USPOL thread is the final page of the thread, insofar as pull-for-next-page isn't working and it's only doing pull-to-refresh on page 29. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774247&perpage=40&pagenumber=29
Note there's like 35 pages right now, which I'm pretty sure means there's a page 30!

• opening the thread anew by tapping on it from my bookmarks (after marking as read a post so it would load page 29); still refreshes on a page 29 pull
• returning to page 28 then pulling successfully for page 29; page 29 still pulls to refresh
• and force-quitting Awful and trying from what I figured would be a fresh state; yep pull to refresh page 29.

I've had this happen as well in the same thread. Clicking next page instead of pull to refresh works.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I think I might have posted something before concerning one issue; I'm going to use this post to find it if I did and then edit accordingly.

Edit: Yeah, still running into the "Image Upload Failed / Uploading file too fast! (code -1) on the 6+, version 9.3.1 (13E238). Is there more information I can provide that'd be helpful?

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 7, 2016

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Trebuchet King posted:

I think I might have posted something before concerning one issue; I'm going to use this post to find it if I did and then edit accordingly.

Edit: Yeah, still running into the "Image Upload Failed / Uploading file too fast! (code -1) on the 6+, version 9.3.1 (13E238). Is there more information I can provide that'd be helpful?

I had this again as well on Tuesday afternoon with my 6+.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Trebuchet King posted:

I get this all the time when I try inserting more than one picture at a time.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Trebuchet King posted:

I think it's been narrowed down to posting a photo you've taken on that device. If you edit the photo, even adjust the borders slightly, you can then upload it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Also, I changed the icons for add bookmark and unmark a while back. We should slip them into the next update :

link

Just added these, thanks!

Abjad Soup posted:

Just FYI the part to ignore in this post is my uninformed "problematic gifs have a white background?? and static portion of image before that spot goes transparent???" speculation -- I don't know what's causing it but the gifs are still problematic with stuck frames in Dark Mode. Another example is :psyboom: (psyboom) where in Dark Mode the head remains unexploded through the entire animation.

Note that the gifs are animated properly in the Image Viewer sheet! But they are animated stuck-ishly when seen directly in a Dark Mode thread.

😇:angel: Thx and G*d bless y'all brave App Warriors :angel:😇

Got it, I'll take a look.

Lay on Hands posted:

I'm not really sure what even might be the cause of this problem, but I looked through the last couple posts as best I could, and didn't see anyone else reporting this. So, in short, any time I try to load a thread on my iPhone, the app tells me that I'm in a Starbucks?

It happens whether I'm connected to wifi or 3G, and I've tried restarting my phone. It wouldn't be a problem, but the Starbucks thing is messily interspersed with the first three or four posts on a page, so...? I've tried clicking the Accept & Connect button, or doing anything else with to interact with the Starbucks thing, but none of it actually works. This has been the case for roughly two days.

I ran into this myself a long time ago and investigated it, and I thought I'd fixed it too.

Thanks!

carry on then posted:

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it breaks us. Which, it will, because widgets.js had to be packaged with the app. I also love the super precise "in the coming days".

Move fast and break things!

I'm not averse to adding TwitterKit or whatever to the app if it'll give us a better experience. Could just be extra work for too little gain though.

TheMightyHandful posted:

Will take a look!

Abjad Soup posted:

I've seen this too. Haven't looked into it yet. In the meantime,

Trevor Hale posted:

Clicking next page instead of pull to refresh works.

Trebuchet King posted:

I can't think of what else to ask about. I get the feeling there's a couple different failure cases that come out as "code -1", but that's as far as my hypothesis goes at the moment.

xilni posted:

I get this all the time when I try inserting more than one picture at a time.

SKY COQ posted:

I think it's been narrowed down to posting a photo you've taken on that device. If you edit the photo, even adjust the borders slightly, you can then upload it.

These are interesting tidbits. Keep 'em coming if anyone finds more!

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

SKY COQ posted:

This seems to be the case with me too, I'll try the edit photo thing and get back to you.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Found a weird bug with the emoticon keyboard where some of the emoticons are duplicated. I resolved it by reinstalling the app, but I thought you might like to know :shobon:

Edit: Well gently caress, it just went back to being duplicative

moon demon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 13, 2016

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I went thru the emotes a while ago and faved a bunch and none of them showed up in the faves menu

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

zen death robot posted:

Yeah this has been happening to me as well

It was weird, I was using the keyboard and it was fine, then it looked like it "refreshed" (all of the icons kinda blinked), then multiples of every icon showed up

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
So, I just got an iPhone 4S. I'm a dumb baby and have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to iPhones.

How... do I get an older version of the Awful app? I believe I'm stuck on iOS 7.1.x, so getting the app from the App Store is a no go.

Am I just poo poo outta luck unless I jailbreak?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The 4S can be upgraded to the current version of iOS, why are you stuck on 7.1 if you're not jailbroken or whatever?

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

The 4S can be upgraded to the current version of iOS, why are you stuck on 7.1 if you're not jailbroken or whatever?

It doesn't seem to let me. I check for software update and it tells me it's on the latest version: 7.1.2

Same with plugging it into iTunes and trying to update from there.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Sounds like you have a 4 and not a 4s

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.
After struggling to get this case off, yep, it's a 4. poo poo outta luck it is.

Thanks guys.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Empty below

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Running the latest Awful on a 6 with iOS 9.3.1. I see this little blue circle before the back arrow on any post.

Are you spying on me? Don't look at my browser history.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Vic Boss posted:

After struggling to get this case off, yep, it's a 4. poo poo outta luck it is.

Thanks guys.

For what it's worth, old versions of Awful probably don't work because the forum changes around in the meantime and we have our hands full maintaining one version. Sorry :(

Not seeing this, what happens if you refresh/restart?

glassyalabolas posted:

Running the latest Awful on a 6 with iOS 9.3.1. I see this little blue circle before the back arrow on any post.

Are you spying on me? Don't look at my browser history.

You mean the navigation arrow in the top left? It's the selection reticle and we haven't been able to track down how it gets up there yet. It's on the list.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

carry on then posted:

You mean the navigation arrow in the top left? It's the selection reticle and we haven't been able to track down how it gets up there yet. It's on the list.

It's actually really easy to reproduce. Go into a thread, select some text, leave thread. I don't know much about how text selection works in iOS, but could we just do something simple like deselect the text programatically when leaving the thread?

• Locked thread