Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I think our lines are crossing here. If you want to make Peter black and him still be everything we know as Peter that's fine and good. There's no problem with that at all and I'd be fine with it. Sure you'll make the racists mad, but anytime you make them mad that's a net positive in my view. Most sane people wouldn't care if Peter was a black kid instead. Though you do completely 100% remove the chance of there ever being a Miles eventually that way but that's fine in this case I suppose. But if you want to take everything we know about Miles (lives with his mom and dad, his dad knows his secret, his uncle is his first enemy) and just call him Peter instead of Miles solely because that's the name everyone knows that name, then that's where it gets dicey because you don't really please anyone this way. The people that want Miles are pissed because he's not really Miles, and then people that want Peter are pissed because he's Peter in name only.

Well, obviously the ideal answer would be to just make him Miles but the argument seems to be that Peter Parker as a marketing brand name is so valuable that it will never be removed from the character. Yet at the same time elements of Miles are apparently worth slicing off and transplanting to Peter. So where does that end? If the marketing brand name of Peter Parker is so strong that it makes more sense to create a thinly veiled version of Miles best friend, slap on the name of an almost unrelated character, and make him Peter's best friend, then why stop there?

I obviously am in favor of the idea of not sticking to name brands but if you have to stick to name brands then "in name only" is sort of the name of the game. Marvel and DC both have quite a few heroes and characters who are basically only reminiscent of the iconic characters because of their names and power sets. Certainly for example most versions of Barry Allen basically have more in common with Wally West than the traditional version of Barry Allen these days for example. And while I think that the name isn't as important as people think I understand the argument that (X person) is (Y hero) for marketing purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean the only thing he seems to have in comic with comic vulture is the name and flying

he's a blue collar criminal who gets his hands on tech and decides to step up to supervillainy for the big scores, not a bitter old man out for revenge because his partner hosed him out of their business

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Appreciate that people would rather discuss Spider-Man, but may I ask what opinions anyone has on The Shadow from 1994 with Alec Baldwin? I understand it didn't do well on release, but then again it was directly up against The Lion King and The Mask; and that it got fairly poor reviews on its releases, but perhaps it has been reappraised retrospectively?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Appreciate that people would rather discuss Spider-Man, but may I ask what opinions anyone has on The Shadow from 1994 with Alec Baldwin? I understand it didn't do well on release, but then again it was directly up against The Lion King and The Mask; and that it got fairly poor reviews on its releases, but perhaps it has been reappraised retrospectively?

I have a real soft spot for it. It looks and sounds fantastic, it's got some great casting (although somewhat underused), and the plot is basically Batman Begins a decade early.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 9, 2016

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I always had a soft spot for it. That being said, it is not a good movie. It's interesting though. From what I remember, the tone is like a slightly campier Batman '89. The Shadow himself comes off pretty hapless whenever he's in costume trying to do heroics. When he's not in costume, I remember Alec Baldwin being pretty charming as whoever the Shadow's alter ego was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
See, I enjoyed the Dick Tracy movie from 1990 with Warren Beatty a lot (mainly for Pacino's performance and the visuals of it) and I'm curious whether the Shadow one is worth checking out if I liked that.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There's an international trailer up with some different footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqzg9YChKfM

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shinjobi posted:

They're going to have to knock every single aspect of the Vulture out of the park for me.

I just don't care for the villain, personally.
I agree, but Keaton is very good and I like how the Vulture design looks in motion

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah, Homecoming is going to be loving great. I was thinking that Keaton looked appropriately intimidating as Vulture, but really this Vulture is way more intimidating than the comic version has ever been and I am entirely comfortable with that. I'm kind of glad to hear that Ganke is not actually Ganke (despite the fact that that is absolutely Ganke) because though I do agree that the character is fully developed and can stand on his own in a story, I think it's a little disingenuous to downplay his fundamental connection to Miles. It's not a hill I'm prepared to die on though, yet. Still, so far everything about this looks great and it even has Spidey-Christ saving a Thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rantmo posted:

Spidey-Christ

Ah, I see you have also read the lost chapter of Spider-Verse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

See, I enjoyed the Dick Tracy movie from 1990 with Warren Beatty a lot (mainly for Pacino's performance and the visuals of it) and I'm curious whether the Shadow one is worth checking out if I liked that.

It's definitely worth checking out, as is The Rocketeer (which is genuinely good, and whose director went on to do Captain America).

The Phantom mostly doesn't work, but Billy Zane really gives it his all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Roth posted:

This I can agree with, it's the one thing I like about the DCEU is that they're willing to cast non-white actors as traditionally white characters.

Marvel has been doing this and the Homecoming cast is the most diverse yet.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They've been doing that with secondary characters, not the lead. Non-white actors have been playing secondary characters instead of leads since time immemorial.

I like the casting for the film, but it's not as groundbreaking as all that. Even Zendaya as MJ, which is really pretty remarkable in its own right, just kind of reaffirms just how far they're willing to push this without actually going all the way with it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's definitely worth checking out, as is The Rocketeer (which is genuinely good, and whose director went on to do Captain America).

Oh, yeah, I love the Rocketeer movie. I've heard it's getting a reboot so I'm looking forward to that.

As I understand it, though, what they're doing is setting it during the Second World War, with Cliff Secord having disappeared, so a new Rocketeer has to take up his jetpack to fight the Nazis. I think it would be more interesting if they did it in real time so it's set in the 1950s, and they get all these Eisenhower-era science-fiction movie stuff.

(Disclaimer: I liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.)

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Rhonne posted:

I have faith in Michael Keaton.

Exactly this, the one line he has in the trailer was enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Blockhouse posted:

I mean the only thing he seems to have in comic with comic vulture is the name and flying

he's a blue collar criminal who gets his hands on tech and decides to step up to supervillainy for the big scores, not a bitter old man out for revenge because his partner hosed him out of their business

The helmet and fur neck ruff look the same too :shrug:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Love it to death. The writing is great, needed more setpieces/money.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Veotax posted:

There's an international trailer up with some different footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqzg9YChKfM

The domestic trailer is good. This is better - had the requisite number of BWAAAAAAAAMPs for a big budget action/comic book movie trailer

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Jagermonster posted:

The domestic trailer is good. This is better - had the requisite number of BWAAAAAAAAMPs for a big budget action/comic book movie trailer

This trailer is worse. It has too many BWAAAAMPS and missed a couple of the fun highschool beats from the US trailer.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Watching that trailer I don't know how people can get tired of RDJ as Stark, its just perfect.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's weird that they turned Ganke into Ned without changing anything else, but he's not Harry loving Osborn and we can all at least be thankful for that

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Speaking of characters who changed races in live action, I really wish Daredevil hadn't killed off Ben Urich. That actor was great and the comics managed to make Kingpin seem scary without killing off a supporting character every issue.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of characters who changed races in live action, I really wish Daredevil hadn't killed off Ben Urich. That actor was great and the comics managed to make Kingpin seem scary without killing off a supporting character every issue.

Other than the show's inability to conclude a season in a satisfying manner, that's the one thing I will never forgive. So much lost potential in storytelling, such a waste of a great actor, and all because Marvel TV loves killing black male characters (ok, maybe that wasn't the primary reason but there's a pattern.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

It's weird that they turned Ganke into Ned without changing anything else, but he's not Harry loving Osborn and we can all at least be thankful for that

Instead he is Peter's best friend who likely will either turn into or be framed for being the Goblin in a future story!

Or maybe not. Honestly I just think Ned Leeds is such a weird choice. It really feels like "Uh, okay, poo poo, someone name a Spider-Man supporting character!"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
His name should be Kaine.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think they should have just called him Ganke. Ain't no kids named at all "Ned" in 2016. Also he drops Lego all over the floor when he sees Peter on the ceiling. He's absolutely Ganke.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Retro Futurist posted:

Maybe he'll be a news junkie and say something like "man, i'd love to work for the Bugle someday..." to help fill up the Reference Quota.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

purple death ray posted:

I think they should have just called him Ganke. Ain't no kids named at all "Ned" in 2016. .

There are many actually, but they are only about 4 years old. Don't underestimate the naming power of TV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe they wrote Ned, then that guy showed up for the audition, and they rolled with it.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe they wrote Ned, then that guy showed up for the audition, and they rolled with it.

I am convinced this is the truth now.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, I agree with this, and I'd rather they cleaved closer to the source material for the Vulture.

A bigger issue, though, is that Keaton didn't shave his head for the role. The Vulture is bald. Keaton is balding, and that's Just. Not. The Same. :negative:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I think they later said that if they knew they were going to get a second season, they wouldn't have killed off Urich. Which is probably why they made Karen take his place, except she did a loving horrible job.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think they later said that if they knew they were going to get a second season, they wouldn't have killed off Urich. Which is probably why they made Karen take his place, except she did a loving horrible job.

"What is it to be...a New Yorker."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

redbackground posted:

"What is it to be...a New Yorker."
"It is to be a pretentious jagoff who talks about what its like being a New Yorker"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Urich was one of the best parts about Daredevil and it was disappointing that they killed him off, but I do think it was effective in showing how dangerous Wilson Fisk could be if you messed with his family.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

They could have made the same point without killing one of the most central characters of classic Daredevil.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They could have at least killed someone who wasn't good at acting

like matt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ignite Memories posted:

They could have at least killed someone who wasn't good at acting

like matt

Daredevil Season 2: Foggy and Ben Urich's Excellent Libel Lawsuit Adventure

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Lurdiak posted:

Daredevil Season 2: Foggy and Ben Urich's Excellent Libel Lawsuit Adventure

"Where's Matt?!"
"He's dead, who are you?"
"I'm sticks and The Hand's ninjas are gonna take over this city!"
"The Hand? they have quite a hold in drug dealing, we can expose them..."
"And if I can take them to court I can get all their foot soldiers deported."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

rantmo posted:

They could have made the same point without killing one of the most central characters of classic Daredevil.

I think that was kind of the point. To inject suspense into the plot since anyone can die, even established comic book characters.

• Locked thread