Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
http://unpromisedone.blogspot.com/2012/11/meet-dennis-quozl-falk-man-who-got-tiny.html?m=1

The last episode of Tiny Toons is literally a Halloween special where the town is stalked by a hideous monster and the end of the episode reveals its an overweight white guy in a Star Trek t-shirt with glasses.

It was so severe that they developed Animaniacs in response thinking that the characters wouldn’t be sexualized if it wasnt immediately apparent what kind of animals they were. Tress McNeil remembers getting fan mail and opening it and being so freaked out by the weird sexual stuff that she canceled panel appearances and signings.

It was real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Bust Rodd posted:

It was so severe that they developed Animaniacs in response thinking that the characters wouldn’t be sexualized
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's a real 90s display of naivete

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

It was so severe that they developed Animaniacs in response thinking that the characters wouldn’t be sexualized if it wasnt immediately apparent what kind of animals they were.

Animaniacs gave the world Minerva Mink so they couldn't have been too worried about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

J-Spot posted:

Animaniacs gave the world Minerva Mink so they couldn't have been too worried about it.

Honestly this is probably when the suits intervened and said “wait these creeps want more Sexy Animals? *big dollar signs replace pupils)”

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I loving hated minerva mink. every time she showed up the show ground to a halt because she never did anything

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Cubone posted:

I loving hated minerva mink. every time she showed up the show ground to a halt because she never did anything
Let's face it, anything that wasn't the Warners, Pinky & the Brain, or Slappy Squirrel was usually poo poo. Even Slappy was kind of ruined after they did that very special episode where she goes senile or whatever it was.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

J-Spot posted:

Let's face it, anything that wasn't the Warners, Pinky & the Brain, or Slappy Squirrel was usually poo poo. Even Slappy was kind of ruined after they did that very special episode where she goes senile or whatever it was.

I liked the pigeons despite the fact that the Gooddellas reference went way over my head.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

J-Spot posted:

Your opinions are usually poo poo!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Your opinions are usually poo poo!

Looks like we've got a Katie Kaboom fan in the house.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

J-Spot posted:

I haven't watched the show since I was a kid but I remember liking pretty much everything except minerva mink and the hip hippos
but the hip hippos I just thought weren't that funny, minerva mink made me want to change the channel
but I couldn't because I didn't want to miss the rest of the show in case they did good idea/bad idea or rita & runt
so I would just leave the tv on and be bored

I liked buttons and mindy, I liked chicken boo, I even liked katie kaboom because she turned into monsters

e: I completely forgot about goodfeathers but yeah I liked goodfeathers too. the bits where the joe pesci pigeon misinterprets a complement, and when the marlon brando pigeon shows up and just mutters gibberish were great

Cubone fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 16, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Official Animaniacs tier list:

SS tier: Any musical numbers
S tier: The Warners, Pinky & the Brain
A tier: Slappy Squirrel, the Randy Beaman kid, Good Idea Bad Idea
B tier: Goodfeathers, Chicken Boo, Mime Time
C tier: Buttons & Mindy, Rita & Runt
D tier: Minerva Mink, Hip Hippos

pooch516 posted:

I liked the pigeons despite the fact that the Gooddellas reference went way over my head.

I appreciate Goodfeathers way more after growing up and finally watching all the films they reference.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Huh Richard Lewis was noah in a hippo episode of animaniacs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have dumb issues with a lot of those things, and I'm not sure why I feel so contrary on this of all subjects.

The musical numbers were quite good, yes, but I always felt annoyed that they were cribbing a bit too brazenly from Monty Python and/or Tom Lehrer when they did their "sing a list of things to a possibly recognizable tune" bits

Goodfeathers were literally one joke, repeated ad nauseam

Rita & Runt was the same "step 1: make a reference to a scene/character interplay from a popular movie, step 2: goto step 1" formula that got old super fast

Buttons & Mindy was just super depressing, that poor dog just got poo poo on for everything he went through. I was 100% rooting for that baby to get encased in concrete

Chicken Boo was (if I recall) the result of one exec who was obsessed with the character and kept insisting on more Chicken Boo segments, even though the team hated them

Katie Kaboom was similarly based on some writer's own daughter, like it was his own E/N dad joke that he and nobody else thought was funny

Most of those upper-tier ones I agree with though. Tom Bodett was an inspired choice

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
tell me about Chicken Boo

why does he wear a disguise to look like human guys

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Data Graham posted:

The musical numbers were quite good, yes, but I always felt annoyed that they were cribbing a bit too brazenly from Monty Python and/or Tom Lehrer when they did their "sing a list of things to a possibly recognizable tune" bits

Its a fuckin kids show, how many kids do you think in the 1990s were familiar with the monty python canon outside of Holy Grail? "This thing adults like, but a kids version" is a perfectly normal derivative.

Did you also feel that All That cribbed too brazenly from SNL?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That just makes it worse imo, "Those kids won't know what we're ripping off, they'll grow up thinking we were the original"

Like people today who hear "walk without rhythm, it won't attract the worm" and go "haha sweet Fatboy Slim reference"

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Or it's a loving kids show and nobody was writing jokes and bits from scratch to be wasted on a kids show. Monty Python didn't invent the concept either and was cribbing from lots of theater history. Do you think that every time a writer writes something it's meant to be perfectly original non-derivative material with absolutely no comedy influences?

Nobody was thinking "ah ha, we fooled those kids, they think we are original comedy geniuses!!!!!" they were thinking "thank god, we filled 22 minutes between toy commercials, see you next week when we do it again"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I remember kinda liking Rita & Runt at times v:kiddo:v

She had a nice singing voice. But I guess overall it was one of the weaker segments.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fair enough, like I said I'm not sure why I even revived an opinion I last thought about c. 1997

We're talking about tiers and poo poo though, which is tongue-in-cheek; probably it's my fault for hoisting it to unnecessary critique level

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with Rita & Runt is kids will think it's original and they won't fully appreciate Les Miz!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The kid who runs out of his house to tell stories about Randy Beaman is super underrated.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i have never seen any animaniacs, but this thread makes me very curious

Bust Rodd posted:

[url]It was so severe that they developed Animaniacs in response thinking that the characters wouldn't be sexualized if it wasnt immediately apparent what kind of animals they were.

uh...huh. :lol:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Animaniacs is the closest we’ve gotten to a modern Looney Tunes and the actual Warner Bros. sketches are the best part of the show.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Goodfeathers worked because it would take different films like West Side Story or The Godfather to keep it from being too one-note. The Godpigeon especially was a gift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRW06RZ7aWw. The Pesto rants got old, but it's gotta have the best De Niro impersonation I've heard. Minerva and B+M were garbage-tier though since they were both really old, outplayed jokes (guys going nuts over hot lady character, and baby chase sequence respectively) that were stretched out. I don't even know what the point of Rita's segments were supposed to be. I guess being voiced by Bernadette Peters she was supposed to be like the stage diva character, but I feel like that had appeal for maybe half of the adults, while the other adults and all of the kids were bored to tears. I'm still surprised by how funny Slappy is, though. I know everyone talks about sneaking in jokes for the parents, but she flat out says poo poo like "Tell Skippy I'll be back after happy hour."

Also lol yeah at the idea of not sexualizing anything in Animaniacs. Never mind the Warners chasing after people like the nurse, that show was even bigger furry bait than Tiny Toons.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Rita & Runt was good
yeah definally. definally good

Runt was a big lovable doof who didn't realize Rita was a cat and talked like rain man, and Rita was there so I could watch Bernadette Peters sing show tunes and make my father worry

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The original Family Dog episode from Amazing Stories was great (probably, I haven't actually seen it in a zillion years), but man that series they made out of it later was so bad. I think there was a terrible snes game too just for good measure

E: original short 1987, directed by Brad Bird music by Danny Elfman produced by Spielberg. Series premiere 1993, none of those people involved.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 16, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

The episode starts off with a Taco Tuesday in Springfield Elementary. Students rush out of everywhere to get to the tacos. After Lisa finds out that the vegetables in the cafeteria are Genetically Modified Organisms, she organizes a meeting with the town to alert them of this. However, after research she finds out that GMOs are actually good for the world. Meanwhile, Marge tries to talk to a teen-abstinence group with finger puppets and the teens aren't taking it seriously. When a representative of the Monsarno research campus meets Lisa at a fair, she asks her to come to the campus. There, they find that the company's chief scientist is none other than Sideshow Bob. The Simpson scream "Ahhh Sideshow Bob!" He the says Dr. Sideshow Bob. Homer then asks "Real doctor or PHD?" Sideshow Bob grunts "PHD" his arms crossed and an annoyed expression on his face

He assures the Simpsons that he is done with being evil and convinces Lisa that they could talk about fine art together. She plans to visit him and they have a nice talk. At Marge's abstinence courses with the teenagers, she finally makes progress with them, however bottling their urges causes them to become stressed out and destructive. Bob and Lisa visit a museum and after Bob saves Lisa from falling objects, she asks why he's so strong. He admits that he's been changing his DNA and the real reason they are at the museum is so he can steal DNA of the most intelligent people that ever lived. When Bart comes to save Lisa, Bob warns he can be tempted into a murderous rage very easily.

After a couple bothers him for a minute, he does have a rage and goes after Bart and Lisa. He runs after them with his new "grass-hopper thighs" and "sonar of a killer-whale". He chases them to a body of water and they beg him to sing before he kills them. So he does but Marge, Homer and the teen-abstinence group come to stop him. When Lisa talks about Walt Whitman, Bob realizes he's become a monster and attempts suicide by drowning, but then remembers he has gills. He then walks off but not before standing on a underwater rake and hitting him in the face.

In an epilogue, Ned Flanders recalls how much he loved Edna by reminiscing them doing the tango together, and is sad about her passing (as he is shown wearing a black armband). Then Nelson comes by to say "Ha-ha" until he offered his sympathy to Ned about how he also misses her.

this is one of the episodes where an incredibly cartoony thing is played completely straight with a bunch of mean spirited jokes. its really, truly bad

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

good god

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

You got me to realize I don't know who Bart's current teacher is so I looked it up and ended up on:

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Carol_Berrera

quote:

When Bart started to drink a Milk filled with hormones he started to experience early puberty and he fell in love with Mrs. Berrera.

I think we need to update the title to "It turns out the lowest point of the Simpsons was when Bart drank a Milk filled with hormones and started to experience early puberty and he fell in love with Mrs. Berrera."

EDIT: https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Caroline_Berrera

quote:

Caroline Berrera is a beautiful, muscular woman and everyone loves her.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 16, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

So they killed off Edna in the show? I thought they just retired the character like Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

She properly died. Ned apparently was wearing a black armband for a while because they were married I guess.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ugh

Frog Act posted:

He then walks off but not before standing on a underwater rake and hitting him in the face.

UGH

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

n&n's lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cubone posted:

Despite watching a shitload of Animaniacs as a kid I didn't even know she existed until hearing her mentioned in a thread like this a decade+ later.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Yea i had to google Minerva Mink and even then my memory is at best “kinda”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

So they killed off Edna in the show? I thought they just retired the character like Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz.

The last episode with her they ended with Ned sitting in a chair with a black armband and pictures of Maude and Edna behind him. So they kind of skip over the whole her actually dying part.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

The last episode with her they ended with Ned sitting in a chair with a black armband and pictures of Maude and Edna behind him. So they kind of skip over the whole her actually dying part.

I think it was also the season directly after the one that ended on America voting if they should date or not.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

There were only two Minerva Mink shorts, and I wouldn't be surprised if they purposefully tried avoiding airing those episodes on repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I would rather watch a new Simpsons than keep hearing nerd opinions detailing the intricacies of the animaniacs, christ

Anyway the Simpsons was good through Bart the Mother and I can watch it all the way up until the episode with The Who and that's when I tap out and you should too