Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mad Hamish posted:

I am super excited for this game. HZD was such a good time and I'm very happy it's got a sequel.

My personal theory is that there's going to be something involving Ted loving Faro who's either been cloned in Thebes or was kept in suspension in Thebes, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

At this point I can only hope there are multiple clones of Ted so I can kill him more than once. gently caress ted Faro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Majima Ted Faro everywhere

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I hope Ted Faro had a whole bunch of ways of surviving the apocalypse and didnt actually manage to pull off a single one. Punching him isn't how to properly crush him. He needs to die alone, everything crumbling around him, with nothing to remember him by but scraps of records about how he's a bitch.

And honestly I think it would kind of feel really fanfictiony. HZD is about unintended consequences of our loving with systems that operate in ways beyond our own capability, whether it's climate, or military technology, or AI, or giant robot fauna. and having it turn out theres some ancient fuckhead puppetmaster would cheapen that. I also think having anything too human survive in the bunkers would risk reducing the sheer impact of how hosed the situation was, and I'd prefer to keep that extremely hosed.

I think the best case for any return of the Ted would be some wretched hosed up brain upload type thing, so he's still done all his failing but we still get the satisfaction of smashing up what's left of him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You gotta save Mecha-Ted for the big post-credits shocker leading into Part 3 so I predict no Faro in the flesh this time around.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I predict that we'll eventually get to visit Ted's bunker ruins and we'll find that he lived out the rest of his days and died peacefully sleeping in his favorite arm chair.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just started playing and see all this talk of Ted Faro. Is he one of the party members who joins later?

J K, I spoiled myself on the story years ago because i never intended to play the game. Now I’m playing the game.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Ted having a survival plan would certainly explain his desire to erase all records of his actions, and preclude the chance of any high-tech rivals in the new world.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The game ends with you fighting a giant mecha-Faro like the end of Path of Neo.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Thematically, I think the best antagonists would be humans raised with the knowledge of the old world, perhaps gained from the Odyssey’s Apollo module. Maybe due to relativity fuckery the human crew that was on it could have landed on Earth, if not in the present; at least after Earth became habitable. Perhaps the potentially apocalyptic results of the attack on Gaia were an unintended result of trying to gain control. However I don’t see he Odyssey being equipped with whatever weapon that was used to attack Gaia.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Kazzah posted:

Ted having a survival plan would certainly explain his desire to erase all records of his actions, and preclude the chance of any high-tech rivals in the new world.

I'm pretty sure he did that poo poo based on egotism wrt his legacy. Like he didn't want to hereafter basically be known as Hitler 2 in the history books.

But who knows what will actually happen!

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Deformed Church posted:

I hope Ted Faro had a whole bunch of ways of surviving the apocalypse and didnt actually manage to pull off a single one. Punching him isn't how to properly crush him. He needs to die alone, everything crumbling around him, with nothing to remember him by but scraps of records about how he's a bitch.

And honestly I think it would kind of feel really fanfictiony. HZD is about unintended consequences of our loving with systems that operate in ways beyond our own capability, whether it's climate, or military technology, or AI, or giant robot fauna. and having it turn out theres some ancient fuckhead puppetmaster would cheapen that. I also think having anything too human survive in the bunkers would risk reducing the sheer impact of how hosed the situation was, and I'd prefer to keep that extremely hosed.

I think the best case for any return of the Ted would be some wretched hosed up brain upload type thing, so he's still done all his failing but we still get the satisfaction of smashing up what's left of him.

Agreed. I hope he’s dead and forgotten by everyone but Aloy. It’s a fitting punishment that he doesn’t get a second chance with clones, while the woman who actually saved the world’s clone get to be the savior of the future world.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I just started playing and see all this talk of Ted Faro. Is he one of the party members who joins later?

He is one of the party members who joins earlier. Much, much earlier.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I also hope we never, ever meet Ted Faro. Because it adds a wonderful bit of hopelessness to the entire thing - we never get to give the overall villain his come-uppance, and he just gets away with it. He's this mythical ghost that we can never give what he deserves.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Like, I would be perfectly content to explore the ruins of Thebes to try and find some part needed to stop Hades / Sylens again, and in the process find numerous holos of Faro slowly going mad in the face of the grim inevitability of death. I don't think he personally felt regret for anything, but there would be a certain satisfaction to be gained from him realizing that his massive wealth will not aid him at the end. If it ended up happening because he cut corners on the ventilation system or something so much the better.

Fucko absolutely had some kind of cloning setup though, they wouldn't leave that Lightseed Program plot hook just dangling.

Just watch, we all assume the problems happened because of the Odyssey doing some weird transmission thing but it turns out it was actually aliens.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I sincerely hope that we do visit Thebes and we find out it immediately failed and subsequently destroyed by the swarm

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Spalec posted:

I hope they continue that trend, people blatantly, obviously hitting on her and it just sailing over her head.

Either that or she just goes "Is this really the time for that? We've got an apocalypse to stop and you're thinking about getting laid? :what: "

I've been replaying it recently and I don't agree that she's oblivious at all. She might not often respond to people hitting on her, but she's able to pick up on others' stuff easily, even when it's not super obvious (the lovebirds from Free Heap, Avad and Ersa). She's able to break down what's going on behind Avad's proposal. She's incredibly perceptive.

She just doesn't care.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Another promo vid, this one about some of the new (and old) tribes. They seem like they have a little more texture than in the first game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-6je9T8_aA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm gonna be honest -- until about one minute ago I thought the superdeluxe megahype version of this game was named the Regalia Edition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Does anyone wanna see some phat image leakz?

https://imgur.com/3URspIJ
https://imgur.com/E0vlYN2

Not really much to them, looks to just be from a tutoral mission that confirms the return of Varl. It does kind of lend some credence to that leaked plot of Forbidden West from 2019 that was going around though. Allegedly this was captured on a PS4 too, which is :eyepop:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wait are they making us play as Aloy again? Didn't everyone agree it was a good game but you'd much rather be a raptor? Not even an Aloy-raptor centaur just plain jane aloy huh

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Not really much to them, looks to just be from a tutoral mission that confirms the return of Varl. It does kind of lend some credence to that leaked plot of Forbidden West from 2019 that was going around though. Allegedly this was captured on a PS4 too, which is :eyepop:

Text:

First image: "Varl: How do we deal with him?"

Second image:
"Primary Goal
'REACH FOR THE STARS'
-Scan the machine.
-Find the entrance to the ancient ruins."

"Varl: Got it."

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Khanstant posted:

thunderjaw - caterpillar with legs

Is this a joke I'm not getting? It's obviously inspired by large bipedal carnivorous dinosaurs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Apparently an entire early build of Forbidden West got leaked instead of just a couple random images, so this might be the time to disengage from your Horizon-related social media accounts if you don't want stuff to be immediately spoiled. Stay strong dear goons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kanonvandekempen posted:

Is this a joke I'm not getting? It's obviously inspired by large bipedal carnivorous dinosaurs

That is the joke, yeah.

Then again they also misclassified the obvious sabertooth tiger as a dog...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Not really much to them, looks to just be from a tutoral mission that confirms the return of Varl.
The whole game is just him trying to go out on a date with Aloy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's the opposite of a harem sim where you spend the entire game turning all your thirsty companions down.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aloy actually mentions that Varl isn't that bad.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im pretty sure they only appears after the YAiest section of the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is anyone planning on making a new thread soon? Do people have good ideas for a title? I'm replaying HZD for the whatevereth time on PS5 now and the hypeturbines are revving up!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If there's anyone I trust to make a good thread title it's you!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Horizon: Zero Dawn: The Forbidden Date

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Horizon Forbidden West: Oh I get it, like "Pharaoh".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Horizon Forbidden Zero: The Sound of Sylens

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's Vast Silver in Them Thar Beverly Hills

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Horizon: Forbidden West - Ted's dead, baby, Ted's dead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zero Horizons Forbidden: Thunderjaws and lightning

Horizons Forbidden, Zero: There's Something About Aloy

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Horizon: Forbidden West—More like Horizon: Fashiondawn

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Horizon Forbidden West: Buy the PS4 version for free PS5 upgrade

Alternatively,
Horizon Forbidden West: No colon in the game title

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lobok posted:

If there's anyone I trust to make a good thread title it's you!

I have a couple good ideas but they involve me being incredibly right about certain plot predictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Horizon Forbidden West: I wish they all could be California robots