Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Senor Dog posted:

I want a skink skarsnik

I know they won't, but they should make Tiq'tac'toe the designated Skink lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

I want a skink skarsnik

100% this is coming, given the positive response to Skarsnik. You can even see it in WH2: while ArchLectors and RunePriests give some buffs to the new units, they don't let you go so heavily in on themed armies like Goblin Warbosses. Queek, Skrolk, Mazda, Kroq'gar, and the DE Name of Power system are much more in the Skarsnik vein in terms of significantly changing how you can afford to build their armies. (I'd include Tyrion and Malekith in there, but their bonuses tend to be for units that you'd be spamming anyway so it just makes them cheaper). Even the late-stage changes to WH1 LLs reflect that they want bigger differences in army composition between LLs in general and between LLs and generic units, so a Skink lord makes perfect sense to me.

Personally, while I like the LL differences for their army, I wish they'd reduce their individual bonus a bit and make up the difference with a (stacking) factionwide bonus. So not only does Queek get very cheap Stormvermin, but his generic lords get slightly cheaper SVs, while the same can be said for Skrolk and plaguerats, for example. Skarsnik was fun partially because he wasn't the only one with his bonuses or limitations, so he feels much more different to play than a Greenskin playthrough. Compare with Wurrzag, who gets a decently unique army but then every other army you build with him is probably going to be the same as it would be with Grimgor or Azhag.

So yeah, we're going to get Skink Skarsnik.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ravenfood posted:

Personally, while I like the LL differences for their army, I wish they'd reduce their individual bonus a bit and make up the difference with a (stacking) factionwide bonus. So not only does Queek get very cheap Stormvermin, but his generic lords get slightly cheaper SVs, while the same can be said for Skrolk and plaguerats, for example. Skarsnik was fun partially because he wasn't the only one with his bonuses or limitations, so he feels much more different to play than a Greenskin playthrough.

That's how my Eltharion mod has ended up: factionwide upkeep discount to a group of units, a LL skill that improves that group factionwide, plus some extra buffs for Eltharion's army only.

Changing the balance of the existing rosters keeps things interesting (see Alastar the white lion-spammer).

I don't think Grom ever got a definitive death so even if they didn't fudge the timeline (which they already did with Azhag afaik) it's not insane to have him pop up ready to invade Ulthuan again.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is there anything to recommend Alberic over Louen? He seems exactly like a generic Brettonian lord except with a bonus to port income.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Devorum posted:

Is there anything to recommend Alberic over Louen? He seems exactly like a generic Brettonian lord except with a bonus to port income.

His Knights of the Realm punch way beyond their weight thanks to his unique skills and bonuses. He's perfect for camping on a heavily-disputed border region with a smaller but no less dangerous army. This can be either Bordeleaux or Marienburg, depending on where you expand towards.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

What in the Christfuck.

This kind of thing is why I'd like to see playable naval battles added to TWW2. They're pretty boring in the historical games but I feel that the addition of flying units, magic, and giant sea monsters would make them significantly more interesting.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
So I was playing the Vortex campaign, beating up Krokgar as Queek, and I decided to push for the third ritual resource site, way up in north Africa. I'd pretty much gutted the last defenders at this point, so I was surprised to find a full strength last defenders army, exactly half carnosaurs and half triceratops, which mulched my clanrats. I know the vortex campaign likes to spawn random armies of chaos and skaven and such, but does it also spawn armies for other in game factions? Cause that's bullshit.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Devorum posted:

He’s fun if you want to build tall and go all in on an economic power. Unfortunately for Alberic this means he becomes a stay-at home lord for the income while your actual generals go out on chivalrous crusades. Once you take over Mousillon and the guys you start at war with you really don’t have any real threats near you. Leon is a fantastic norsca buffer once you deal with the undead, and you’ve got multiple provinces of friendly buffer states to your east and south. This lets you build up the farm economy super fast, and you’ll start rolling in dough. Then you can go fight orcs, undead, or whoever else really. Sadly you don’t get chivalry techs for things like dark elves or skaven, but they’re still fun to fight.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's a rite lizards can cast, summons up a dinosaur army. It costs a lot and has a massive cooldown.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MoreLikeTen posted:

So I was playing the Vortex campaign, beating up Krokgar as Queek, and I decided to push for the third ritual resource site, way up in north Africa. I'd pretty much gutted the last defenders at this point, so I was surprised to find a full strength last defenders army, exactly half carnosaurs and half triceratops, which mulched my clanrats. I know the vortex campaign likes to spawn random armies of chaos and skaven and such, but does it also spawn armies for other in game factions? Cause that's bullshit.
Its a rite with 50 turn cooldown that costs 8.4k to cast, so good news, you shouldn't have to deal with it again soon?

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

thebardyspoon posted:

It's a rite lizards can cast, summons up a dinosaur army. It costs a lot and has a massive cooldown.

Ah got it, thanks

feller
Jul 5, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

His Knights of the Realm punch way beyond their weight thanks to his unique skills and bonuses. He's perfect for camping on a heavily-disputed border region with a smaller but no less dangerous army. This can be either Bordeleaux or Marienburg, depending on where you expand towards.

The best reason to start with bordeleaux over the others is you can kill Moussillon before they go ham on everyone. You also can hopefully save carcassonne from khazrak and bastonne from the empire or dwarves. The non louen bretts have done terribly very early in all my ME campaigns

e: I quoted the wrong person sorry, but hell if I try to fix that on my phone

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grom didn't get an official death, yeah. Azhag, as noted, died years before the games depicted setting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's annoying to fight against as even when you pack lots of anti-large the battle is just a big dumb tedious moshpit that you fast forward through.

Cold-blooded and enormous hp pools makes harassing them with reavers or anything tactical kind of pointless.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

100% this is coming, given the positive response to Skarsnik. You can even see it in WH2: while ArchLectors and RunePriests give some buffs to the new units, they don't let you go so heavily in on themed armies like Goblin Warbosses. Queek, Skrolk, Mazda, Kroq'gar, and the DE Name of Power system are much more in the Skarsnik vein in terms of significantly changing how you can afford to build their armies. (I'd include Tyrion and Malekith in there, but their bonuses tend to be for units that you'd be spamming anyway so it just makes them cheaper). Even the late-stage changes to WH1 LLs reflect that they want bigger differences in army composition between LLs in general and between LLs and generic units, so a Skink lord makes perfect sense to me.

Personally, while I like the LL differences for their army, I wish they'd reduce their individual bonus a bit and make up the difference with a (stacking) factionwide bonus. So not only does Queek get very cheap Stormvermin, but his generic lords get slightly cheaper SVs, while the same can be said for Skrolk and plaguerats, for example. Skarsnik was fun partially because he wasn't the only one with his bonuses or limitations, so he feels much more different to play than a Greenskin playthrough. Compare with Wurrzag, who gets a decently unique army but then every other army you build with him is probably going to be the same as it would be with Grimgor or Azhag.

So yeah, we're going to get Skink Skarsnik.
This bugs me a bit as well, as some red line trees make other units just too bad to be fun to use. You want to make some funky themed armies. Saved Skaven for ME and started up this week with both LLs, plague themed armies are tons of fun but I feel like Skrolk is the only one who can run it without running your entire economy to the ground. It also bugs me when I played Wurrzag because he was the only one who could run Savage Orc armies. At least when you pick him or confederate Wurrzag you should get Savage Orc Shaman Lords.

About the 8400g lizardmen rite, the cost itself isn't that bad but the loving bazillion upkeep after that is pretty rough. Isn't it like 14 dinos and 1 lord or something? Not that it matters for the AI on some difficulties but as a player you should keep it in mind.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Dandywalken posted:

Grom didn't get an official death, yeah. Azhag, as noted, died years before the games depicted setting.

For all we know, that troll flesh he ate made him immortal. And permanently flatulent. An undying, fart-assed goblin.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Isn't his canonical ending that he just rides off into the sunset after Eltharion beats him?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't his canonical ending that he just rides off into the sunset after Eltharion beats him?

I think there's a mention of Eltharion chopping him up into hundreds of pieces and burning them in one of the novels.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There was also mention that he may have just ran off and drowned. (Though Goblins say that Grom would never run away. After he got his chariot he refused to go anywhere using his feet. He would retreat by chariot or not at all.)

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

sassassin posted:

I think there's a mention of Eltharion chopping him up into hundreds of pieces and burning them in one of the novels.

I think one of GW's writers said that's what happened off the record, but in the official canon he was driven back to the sea and hasn't been seen since.

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
Finished my Vortex campaign as HEs and really crushed it. I want to play a DE ME campaign next as morathi so I can go to war with the filthy lizardmen instead of just fighting DEs for half the campaign. Before I give my next 100 hours to the game, questions about how to play ME these days. I've heard there's a beta version which may fix certain problems in the game. Should I join the beta, and if so, how? I've also heard that Chaos attacks are ridiculous in this game. Is that still a problem, and if so, should I use a mod to fix it?

Went through the past three pages and saw one guy who hated ME but not an answer to this question, sorry if it's been asked before.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

not joseph stalin posted:

Finished my Vortex campaign as HEs and really crushed it. I want to play a DE ME campaign next as morathi so I can go to war with the filthy lizardmen instead of just fighting DEs for half the campaign. Before I give my next 100 hours to the game, questions about how to play ME these days. I've heard there's a beta version which may fix certain problems in the game. Should I join the beta, and if so, how? I've also heard that Chaos attacks are ridiculous in this game. Is that still a problem, and if so, should I use a mod to fix it?

Went through the past three pages and saw one guy who hated ME but not an answer to this question, sorry if it's been asked before.

Right click the game in Steam, go to Betas, select the one that's called mortal empires pte or similar. That's how to opt in to the beta. Also I recommend picking up a couple mods to improve the experience - the climate overhaul and the Norsca nerf mods are good ones (search the workshop for those).

Chaos is no longer ridiculous but vanilla Norsca tends to swamp the map if something isn't done about them. The climate overhaul makes the AI adhere a bit better to suitable climates rather than expanding without any regard for suitability. Mortal Empires with the beta is generally good I think, the main problem being turn times as it churns through all the different factions on such a huge map.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is the reprisal patch going live on the 14th with the Laboratory?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I agree there needs to be tweaks to make some legendary lords have more faction wide benefits. There's some skill overhauls that do this.

Though having really specialized gimmick armies can be fun too. If Ungrim had a combination of his foundation skills and a counterpart to the WH2 red skills, you could have lots of Slayers with low enough recruitment, upkeep and replenishment to be worth spamming.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this video has some cool tomb king hints in it if you look at either side of the bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQwx1EolD8

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

not joseph stalin posted:

FYI, Morathi blows. She spreads chaos corruption and that actively hinders your empire.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What are the must have mods for Mortal Empires currently? Climate change(?) and something about Norse. Anything else?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 13, 2017

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Comstar posted:

What are the must have mods for Mortal Empires currently? Climate change(?) and something about Norse. Anything else?

I like rebanner, the provincial roads mod, max level 60, less blood less gore. Probably a few others.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Faster End Turn Camera is really nice, and Chaos Invasion Improved makes that event not suck dick.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Comstar posted:

There aren't any must have mods. It's all down to personal preference.

I won't play without passive ai agents, but that's about it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the must have mods

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1169542601

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1185496945

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Wrong it's beautiful witch elves.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

new phone who dis posted:

FYI, Morathi blows. She spreads chaos corruption and that actively hinders your empire.

How does it hinder you?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Senor Dog posted:

How does it hinder you?

It used to, because she spread chaos corruption which is bad for Dark Elves. They changed it in a recent patch so that if you confederate a lord who spreads the "wrong" type of corruption they'll change to spreading whatever is right for your culture.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Chaos corruption is good if you are playing as Morathi, that's kinda her entire gimmick. There might be some issues left if you play as Malekith and confederate her (I think her weapon still always gives chaos corruption instead of preferred corruption?) but the guy you quoted mentioned that he is going to play as the Cult of Pleasure so it's a non-issue.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 13, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Man I'm going back to WH1. I really love the engine and lighting updates they made, the magic changes are awesome, UI improvements...but the game has annoying bugs, the ME campaign just feels like a drag (WTF is the Chaos Invasion in this?), the Vortex campaign is straight up boring, and missing the late updates WH1 implemented REALLY hurt the ME campaign.

Wish they'd back-port the engine updates! WH2 is crazy beautiful.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Has anyone had an issue after upgrading their monitor where the resolution is screwed up? I managed to change it to the native res once and it was a jittery mess, and now it defaults to a lower res and the mouse cursor doesn't line up with where it will click on screen, making changes almost impossible.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mom I will let your crappy province join the empire but you have to stop telling everyone to worship chaos and put on a shirt.

Ok, we'll compromise.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

NeurosisHead posted:

It used to, because she spread chaos corruption which is bad for Dark Elves. They changed it in a recent patch so that if you confederate a lord who spreads the "wrong" type of corruption they'll change to spreading whatever is right for your culture.

Oh sweet yeah I played with her before they did this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

Man I'm going back to WH1. I really love the engine and lighting updates they made, the magic changes are awesome, UI improvements...but the game has annoying bugs, the ME campaign just feels like a drag (WTF is the Chaos Invasion in this?), the Vortex campaign is straight up boring, and missing the late updates WH1 implemented REALLY hurt the ME campaign.

Wish they'd back-port the engine updates! WH2 is crazy beautiful.

I too have been tempted to do so, mainly to reduce the end turn times wait but those dragons without breath attacks stop me every time.

Its the single biggest QoL change for me, dragons having breaths own so much its not even funny.