Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

girls rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I love it. :allears:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

:neckbeard: omg

caribiner23
Apr 12, 2024

It's like Dustin's writer and artist just opened a six of PBR one night and tossed the most stupid lines about greeting cards back and forth for 5 minutes.

"That's great-- we got a week's worth now."

I was wondering why the same strip got re-posted so many times, then I realized they were all different and equally stupid strips.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
:hmmyes:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:neckbeard: And now I want a full-blown crossover.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pancho Jueves posted:

Pluggers

Pretty sure this is universal, Gene. Also Indiana, Pennsylvania is a cursed town name.

home of indiana university of pennsylvania

PA also has the wyoming valley, wyoming county, and the town of wyoming, which is in the valley but not in the county.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming,_Pennsylvania

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

theironjef posted:

Like just get a blank one you boring fug. It doesn't matter because the only thing your mom actually likes is rolling her eyes at failure so you already got her something.

In which case you might as well get her a Father's Day card and really make her year

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Good for WAR Mom!

:hellyeah:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise in Take Me To Your Leader

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

The chapter title refers to what you might call the “by the station” series of madcap comedies, a total of 24 of which were made in the 1960s, all titled “The something-or-other by the station.” Here’s the trailer for the first one (“The Ryokan by the Station”) just to give you an idea of the flavor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcsorllPpY
Good to see Siskel and Ebert back together.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Powered Descent posted:

WaR & Mad Dog Morgan when?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

mexidad really is quite the character huh

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Powered Descent posted:

Imagine how boring RMMD writer would make it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/1-3/52

Archie 5/22-24/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 8/25-27/77

George is clearly based on someone, but I'm not sure who. The ascot and baseball cap look makes me think Rodney Dangerfield, but Caddyshack is still a few years in the future.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Reading OG Archie is weird because the Betty Cooper that I grew up with was a lot more...I guess the simplest thing is to say she didn't simp for Archie so much.

Also, holy poo poo OG Archie is such an rear end in a top hat

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I once was looking for a Mother’s Day card and there was a thank you card in that section for some reason. I liked it and wound up buying it and writing a nice note thanking my mom for all she has done for me in my life. It’s probably the most meaningful gift I ever gave her.

I’ve been traveling so I haven’t been able to post but I’ll catch up in the next day or so. Anyone want to throw out some Mark Trail or Rex Morgan or something because they just can’t wait can feel free to do so.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (June 29-July 3, 2006)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

For some reason I don't recall, my cousin had to delay her high school graduation party by a month, and since it was now July, there were no graduation cards to be found in the local Hallmark store. So instead I got her a "congratulations on your Bar Mitzvah" card, despite her going 0 for 3 on being a 13-year-old Jewish boy. Everyone present agreed this was hilarious, ironically making it one of my better-received jokes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Dinette

Popcom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

OH COME ON THIS IS TOO EASY

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

It may be low hanging fruit, but have you posted this in the Funny Panels thread?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

*checks calendar*

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 09, 2002)

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!!!! You're free!

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"genes aren't destiny. also committing to a relationship like this with fiona at the age of 22 is a great idea."

oh huh the Sunday strip is following the plot, I was expecting it to be loving Nothing.

or I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll cause a loving flight delay.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Aces High posted:

Reading OG Archie is weird because the Betty Cooper that I grew up with was a lot more...I guess the simplest thing is to say she didn't simp for Archie so much.

Also, holy poo poo OG Archie is such an rear end in a top hat

It's wild reading the strips because of the different dynamics. Poor Betty could do so much better. I wonder when they shifted things into the love triangle people are familiar with nowadays? It also probably explains why they came up with the character of Cheryl Blossom; maybe the people at Archie Comics wanted to recapture the dynamic of Archie brushing off the attention of Betty/Veronica in favor of Cheryl, and the subsequent hijinks that result from it.

OG Archie may be an rear end in a top hat, but he at least regularly faces some consequence for his actions (usually in the form of Jughead). It's certainly a lot better than some of the comics ITT.

Vox Valentine posted:

oh huh the Sunday strip is following the plot, I was expecting it to be loving Nothing.

It'll never happen because Good Guys in Holbrook comics never suffer consequences, but I'd love it if this incident causes Rudy and Fiona to be unceremoniously kicked out of the rabbit warren. Because surely the dystopian hellstate with eyes everywhere would frown upon the predator they've tentatively allowed in their midst chasing down this rabbit that's fleeing for their life.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I still don't understand why they need to talk to him. He's not bothering you or anyone else! Let him live his drat life!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I still don't understand why they need to talk to him. He's not bothering you or anyone else! Let him live his drat life!

Holbrook is out of ideas.
It's either this or 'ninjas attack' which would be interesting so

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Comanche

So! Next change in the translation - much like the main character having a fairly... confusing name, Ten's original name (again, given name - it may have been supposed to be a nickname, but his real name isn't given) was Ten Gallons. And everyone refers to him as Ten Gallons. He does not have a ten gallon hat, neither does his hat have a Spanish/Mexican braid on it. Therefore, I simply shortened it to Ten, because I didn't want to lose the pun that Sid makes when he's first talked about in the story.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

How else could they possibly have a "dramatic" reveal of his pregnant rabbit wife and/or child?

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 12, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 09, 2002)

I wonder if this is a universal male thing, or just something us ADHD weirdoes do, because I 100% identify with this and have had almost this exact experience. An ex girlfriend saying I looked like I had been in deep thought for some time and asking what I was thinking of, and the answer was something insanely dumb like "I was wondering how torsion bar suspension works".

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I don't get why she's annoyed. She asked what he was thinking about, he answered. Is she being pissy because it wasn't something philosophical or romantic?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I don't get why she's annoyed. She asked what he was thinking about, he answered. Is she being pissy because it wasn't something philosophical or romantic?

As thoughts go it's a pretty fruitless one.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I wonder if this is a universal male thing, or just something us ADHD weirdoes do, because I 100% identify with this and have had almost this exact experience. An ex girlfriend saying I looked like I had been in deep thought for some time and asking what I was thinking of, and the answer was something insanely dumb like "I was wondering how torsion bar suspension works".

That's not dumb though, how does it work? Also you should look up how the suspension in a CV2 citroen works.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I don't think thinking about weird hypotheticals or otherwise going on odd trains of thought is remotely exclusively male

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/21/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/25/1994)

Ziggy

(12/22/1971)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

My mother has a word for this, it's "sheep staring". it's when you look really concentrated but your mind is either blank or you're thinking about something dumb. Like a sheep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus