Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

So the Alienware coupon stacks with The Talos Principle sale discount? Meaning 90% off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

So the Alienware coupon stacks with The Talos Principle sale discount? Meaning 90% off?

The discounts are multiplicative not additive. First you get the normal 40% off and then you apply the coupon and get 50% off from that.

The end result is 70% off. Talos principle is extremely worth it at that price.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 31, 2015

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Asking this again:
A while back there was some talk about Dungeons 2 as it is on sale, I remember a long ago some people saying War for the Overworld is a better Dungeon Keeper game, which one should I get?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Just like last year, my final review of the month turns out to be a horrible disappointment.

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
14. Clandestinity of Elsie
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect
18. Unholy Heights
19. Claire
20. Belladonna
21. Hektor
22. Neverending Nightmares
23. Decay: The Mare
24. Uncanny Valley
25. Black Mirror
26. Dementium II HD
27. Silence of the Sleep
28. Lakeview Cabin Collection
29. Sanitarium
30. Blackbay Asylum

31. DreadOut

Why, God? Why did you give us an indie Fatal Frame built on Indonesian lore and set in an abandoned town in the mountains and make it bad? Why did it fail to have interesting areas or a compelling story or enemies that weren't annoying as all hell? What did we do to deserve such intense disappointment?

I seriously doubt He's going to answer those questions, so let's at least talk about how this happened. DreadOut is indeed an indie loveletter to the Fatal Frame series, a series that really should inspire more imitators. You play Linda, a strangely silent Inodnesian high school student on a trip with her teacher, best friend, and a few other people you will cease caring about almost immediately. They happen across an abandoned town up in the mountains, and like good little horror protagonists, wander into the school and get trapped. There's something off about Linda's BFF, and some early signs that the town was into weird rituals or whatever, but there's no big hook like Silent Hills or Fatal Frames have. You're just trying to get out of the school, so ostensibly the only great revelation in your future is where the janitor's keyring ended up.

The ghosts in your way aren't going to hold your attention either, and that's a real shame considering how rare and interesting Indonesian horror is. The first three you'll meet are a giant invincible pig, a bleached version of Sadako from The Ring, and a harmless businessman with a super wobbly head. Albino girl's the only one you can fight, and even as the first real enemy she's annoying as hell. Linda battles by taking pics with her cellphone camera, and to beat this one you have to photograph her four times until she disappears, find her again within like 3 seconds, and photograph the gaping wound in her back. She can, of course, phase through walls, so even if you know what you're doing it can take forever. Also, I played for an hour and she was the only defeatable enemy I encountered. Really, game?

There are moments of brilliance to the atmosphere, but they're lost amidst a sea of tedium. Most of the classrooms in the spooky school are empty or look pretty normal. There are two that have the chairs set in odd ways, and one of those gets a cool audio cue that gave me a little shiver. One thing really hurting the exploration is the aura you get signalling an item. When you get within like 20 feet of something you can examine, the edges of your screen turn blue, and get bluer as you get closer. There are no exceptions to this, so there's no reason not to charge down the halls and through the rooms at full speed until you get that cue. You also won't be finding healing items, weapons, ammo, or anything of interest other than plot items and files.

That's really the heart of DreadOut's problem, there's just not enough to do. Not enough ghosts, not enough items, not enough points of interest, not enough reasons to push forward. It's a depressingly thin game that has all the foundations of a great horror experience, just with nothing built upon them. Well, that's not entirely true. The game is ugly as hell. Everything is in muddy drabs, textures are stretched beyond recognition, and environmental details are rendered with 90s polygon budgets. If they were trying to fully imitate the PS2 classics, they got pretty close with the graphics, at least. It also has the ignoble distinction of being the only game where the How to Play menu option is essential, because there is no tutorial and literally nothing about how the game works is explained anywhere in the actual gameplay.

I wish there was a single reason to recommend DreadOut, but there isn't. No part of it is fleshed out into anything worth your time. You might as well just play the demo, which suffers the same problems but is short and mysterious enough to minimize them, and then assume the full game got lost in development hell. In a way, I guess it did.

I'll be back in a bit with a final post to give proper recommendations and cap things off.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Read Only Memories is cheaper via itch.io than Steam, and comes with a Steam key. I feel like a mug for buying that and Dropsy straight away when the sale started before learning of this and the Alienware coupon. Oh well, I hear it's a good game!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Revol posted:

Has anyone checked out Endless Sky? Normally I skip the 'free to play' games, but I just happened to get curious on this one, after hovering over it and reading "inspired by the classic Escape Velocity series".

Oooooohhhhh??? I grew up on Macs, and I loving loved Escape Velocity.

Wait... no, it isn't inspired by Escape Velocity. It is Escape Velocity. It looks just like it. It plays just like it, down to the default controls using the arrow keys for ship control. It is essentially Escape Velocity 2015 with some marked improvements. The map navigation system is better, and I really appreciate how you can check prices of commodities from the map, so you can see where the high and low prices are. The game also includes a bank loan system; you start the game out taking a loan to buy your first ship, and you have to pay it off (at a stupid low interest rate). I'm only about an hour or two in, so I'm still using my first ship. Within another hour of game play I expect I'd be able to upgrade to a bigger shuttle, though I can't decide if I should focus on transporting people or cargo. My one complaint is the sound. Read the credits and you'll see the game is completely open source, and uses open source resources for the planet images and the sounds. There is no music, and audio from gameplay is sparce. They need to tweak the engine sounds; on my newbie shuttle, the sound 'pops' badly.

So... Escape Velocity, completely free-to-play, not freemium, open sourced with plugin mod support, available for Win, Linux and Mac.

I haven't played this game since initial release. What are the biggest additions it has seen?

If you like this style, check out Trancendence, which used to be free but I think is getting a new Steam release, and RingRunner, which is like 98 cents now. Any other good 2D space exploration games? I used to play SubSpace/Continuum as a kid and now that's on Steam.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

uplay thought I still had some old AC games installed so I checked the registry

:sigh:

update: deleting the ac3 and blood dragon registry keys here (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft) removed them from uplay's list of installed games, thank goodness

brotherhood wasn't removed from ubi's installed games list, nor was revelations which hadn't even had registry entries :(

astral fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 31, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Count Chocula posted:

If you like this style, check out Trancendence, which used to be free but I think is getting a new Steam release, and RingRunner, which is like 98 cents now. Any other good 2D space exploration games? I used to play SubSpace/Continuum as a kid and now that's on Steam.

SPACE RANGERS

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Demicol posted:

Asking this again:
A while back there was some talk about Dungeons 2 as it is on sale, I remember a long ago some people saying War for the Overworld is a better Dungeon Keeper game, which one should I get?

I haven't played it yet, but I got Dungeons 2 for about 6.50 US on Nuuvem.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Zombie Samurai posted:

Dreadout review

hey, at least there were no procedurally generated rape hallways

things can always get worse

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'll be back in a bit with a final post to give proper recommendations and cap things off.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed these both this time and last year. It was a welcome break from the oh so ironic anime tit discussion.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

new starbound patch lookin good

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Why Am I Dead At Sea

I had no clue this existed til it was on the front page. It looks... kinda cool? Weird that so many obviously Mother inspired games have come out in the past year or so. Anyone played it?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I have, actually. It looks like the Mother games but it feels a bit more inspired by Ghost Trick, at least from a story aspect. Most of the gameplay is dialogue trees, with you possessing people and talking to the other passengers, since there's stuff only a certain character will ask another about. I found it worth ten dollars, so at six I'd say give it a try if you like the idea.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Demicol posted:

Asking this again:

Dungeons 2 shares very little in common with dungeon keeper. I Don't like it at all personally. War for the over world is basically dungeon keeper 3 in everything but name.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Blues & Bullets is a whole lot weirder than I was expecting. There's alternate history, like the hindenburg not crashing and being converted into a flying hotel, for example. And the crime scene in the first episode is one of the more brutal ones I've seen in any game.

And then you get to serve someone pie. With a secret ingredient.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Palpek posted:

MISSING: An Interactive Thriller - a FMV adventure game which I hope is like a B movie

I saw a playthrough of it and they finished the episode in like less than an hour, which I guess for 99 cents isn't the worst. It isn't really campy like Contradiction was, and it's full of your bog-standard adventure puzzles, but the FMV-gameplay integration actually looked pretty decent.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dead Realm
http://store.steampowered.com/app/352460/
for 4 friends is it good?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It seems fine from what I've seen and It's getting updated pretty regularily. One mode is essentially hide & seek combined with jump scares if that's something that you're in to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

I have, actually. It looks like the Mother games but it feels a bit more inspired by Ghost Trick, at least from a story aspect. Most of the gameplay is dialogue trees, with you possessing people and talking to the other passengers, since there's stuff only a certain character will ask another about. I found it worth ten dollars, so at six I'd say give it a try if you like the idea.
I forgot about this game but I added it to my wishlist, it does look interesting.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also buy halfway you dummies http://store.steampowered.com/app/253150/

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thank you for the game suggestion that I have now purchased.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Psygnosis posted:

Dungeons 2 shares very little in common with dungeon keeper. I Don't like it at all personally. War for the over world is basically dungeon keeper 3 in everything but name.

What? It's almost exactly like Dungeon Keeper, except you end up invading the surface world in RTS format eventually.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Testekill posted:

It seems fine from what I've seen and It's getting updated pretty regularily. One mode is essentially hide & seek combined with jump scares if that's something that you're in to.

Constant updates be good, any goon hands on?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES - FINALE :spooky:

So 31 games, 41.6 hours, and 1 baby later, the deed is done. Below you'll find all the games I played and reviewed for this year's spooky season, along with a short description, current price (since almost everything is on sale), and whether I recommend it or not. The links lead to my reviews here in the thread, and the titles in the reviews lead to the store pages.

1. Knock-knock - Weird horror rumination thing - $1.99 - RECOMMENDED
2. CAPSULE - Immersive, short space isolation - $0.99 - RECOMMENDED
3. DARK - Vampire stealth garbage - $2.99 - AVOID AVOID AVOID
4. System Shock 2 - Classic FPS/RPG scifi - $2.49 - RECOMMENDED
5. Castle in the Darkness - Simon's Quest fangame - $1.97 - AVOID
6. Shattered Haven - Inexplicable zombie puzzle - $1.29 - AVOID
7. Whispering Willows - Hella indie haunted house - $9.99 - RECOMMENDED (but wait for a real sale)
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death - Babby's first spoopy hidden object - $0.49 - AVOID
9. Kraven Manor - Walking sim school project - $5.99 - AVOID
10. Our Darker Purpose - Totally not Binding of Isaac - $2.99 - RECOMMENDED
11. Stray Cat Crossing - Mega creepy 2D walking sim - $2.00 - RECOMMENDED
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition - Top-down zombie fedora action - $3.99 - RECOMMENDED
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition - My First Poser Jumpscares - $4.99 - AVOID
14. Clandestinity of Elsie - Don't make Silent Hill 2 in RPG Maker - $4.99 - AVOID
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition - Super good cosmic horror adventure - $2.49 - RECOMMENDED, LIKE RIGHT NOW, SERIOUSLY BUY IT
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space - First person pulp scifi nausea simulator - $2.99 - AVOID
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect - Terrible ghost detective collects really cool poo poo - $5.99 - RECOMMENDED
18. Unholy Heights - Japanese Dungeon Master tower defense awwww - $1.99 - RECOMMENDED
19. Claire - Like Lone Survivor but bad - $2.49 - AVOID
20. Belladonna - 30 minutes of lesbian Frankenstein - $3.49 - RECOMMENDED
21. Hektor - Seriously, rape hallway - $4.99 - AVOID
22. Neverending Nightmares - Gee this hallway was spooky the first dozen times - $4.49 - AVOID
23. Decay: The Mare - Why do my nightmares look like an unkempt warehouse - $0.99 - AVOID
24. Uncanny Valley - 2D choose your own horrible demise - $2.49 - RECOMMENDED
25. Black Mirror - Janky rear end old adventure game, still super good - $1.99 - RECOMMENDED
26. Dementium II HD - Cliched FPS horror was rarely this fun - $0.99 - RECOMMENDED
27. Silence of the Sleep - 2D horror/adventure, be ready for plenty of both - $3.39 - RECOMMENDED
28. Lakeview Cabin Collection - Slasher film sandbox, just buy it already - $7.49 - RECOMMENDED
29. Sanitarium - Classic horror adventure - $4.99 - RECOMMENDED
30. Blackbay Asylum - Trashy horror adventure - $6.79 - RECOMMENDED
31. DreadOut - Indonesian Fatal Frame, no wait it sucks - $3.74 - AVOID

Allow me to call out a few games that really got my attention this year:

MY TOP 3 - All three of these games were way more fun than I expected.
The Last Door - Collector's Edition
Lakeview Cabin Collection
Splatter - Blood Red Edition

MY BOTTOM 3 - If you buy any of these I will make fun of you.
DARK
The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
Hektor

And finally, let's do the drive-in totals: A whopping 314 dead bodies, 34 severed arms, 18 severed heads, 83 gallons blood, 8 gallons bile, 4 gallons unknown, zombie-fu, Franken-fu, vamp-fu, ghost-fu, statue-fu, baby-fu, snuggie-fu, fedora-fu, heads flying, limbs flying, guts flying, faces flying, souls flying, crows flying, clothes flying, three stars, check 'em out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mr E posted:

Thank you for the game suggestion that I have now purchased.

yw dude

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

I bought it too but it won't launch. You're a real heel.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tsyni posted:

I bought it too but it won't launch. You're a real heel.

now i only live in regret

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

So 31 games, 41.6 hours, and 1 baby later, the deed is done. Below you'll find all the games I played and reviewed for this year's spooky season, along with a short description, current price (since almost everything is on sale), and whether I recommend it or not. The links lead to my reviews here in the thread, and the titles in the reviews lead to the store pages.

1. Knock-knock - Weird horror rumination thing - $1.99 - RECOMMENDED
2. CAPSULE - Immersive, short space isolation - $0.99 - RECOMMENDED
3. DARK - Vampire stealth garbage - $2.99 - AVOID AVOID AVOID
4. System Shock 2 - Classic FPS/RPG scifi - $2.49 - RECOMMENDED
5. Castle in the Darkness - Simon's Quest fangame - $1.97 - AVOID
6. Shattered Haven - Inexplicable zombie puzzle - $1.29 - AVOID
7. Whispering Willows - Hella indie haunted house - $9.99 - RECOMMENDED (but wait for a real sale)
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death - Babby's first spoopy hidden object - $0.49 - AVOID
9. Kraven Manor - Walking sim school project - $5.99 - AVOID
10. Our Darker Purpose - Totally not Binding of Isaac - $2.99 - RECOMMENDED
11. Stray Cat Crossing - Mega creepy 2D walking sim - $2.00 - RECOMMENDED
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition - Top-down zombie fedora action - $3.99 - RECOMMENDED
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition - My First Poser Jumpscares - $4.99 - AVOID
14. Clandestinity of Elsie - Don't make Silent Hill 2 in RPG Maker - $4.99 - AVOID
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition - Super good cosmic horror adventure - $2.49 - RECOMMENDED, LIKE RIGHT NOW, SERIOUSLY BUY IT
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space - First person pulp scifi nausea simulator - $2.99 - AVOID
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect - Terrible ghost detective collects really cool poo poo - $5.99 - RECOMMENDED
18. Unholy Heights - Japanese Dungeon Master tower defense awwww - $1.99 - RECOMMENDED
19. Claire - Like Lone Survivor but bad - $2.49 - AVOID
20. Belladonna - 30 minutes of lesbian Frankenstein - $3.49 - RECOMMENDED
21. Hektor - Seriously, rape hallway - $4.99 - AVOID
22. Neverending Nightmares - Gee this hallway was spooky the first dozen times - $4.49 - AVOID
23. Decay: The Mare - Why do my nightmares look like an unkempt warehouse - $0.99 - AVOID
24. Uncanny Valley - 2D choose your own horrible demise - $2.49 - RECOMMENDED
25. Black Mirror - Janky rear end old adventure game, still super good - $1.99 - RECOMMENDED
26. Dementium II HD - Cliched FPS horror was rarely this fun - $0.99 - RECOMMENDED
27. Silence of the Sleep - 2D horror/adventure, be ready for plenty of both - $3.39 - RECOMMENDED
28. Lakeview Cabin Collection - Slasher film sandbox, just buy it already - $7.49 - RECOMMENDED
29. Sanitarium - Classic horror adventure - $4.99 - RECOMMENDED
30. Blackbay Asylum - Trashy horror adventure - $6.79 - RECOMMENDED
31. DreadOut - Indonesian Fatal Frame, no wait it sucks - $3.74 - AVOID

MY BOTTOM 3 - If you buy any of these I will make fun of you.
DARK
The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
Hektor

And finally, let's do the drive-in totals: A whopping 314 dead bodies, 34 severed arms, 18 severed heads, 83 gallons blood, 8 gallons bile, 4 gallons unknown, zombie-fu, Franken-fu, vamp-fu, ghost-fu, statue-fu, baby-fu, snuggie-fu, fedora-fu, heads flying, limbs flying, guts flying, faces flying, souls flying, crows flying, clothes flying, three stars, check 'em out.

I can't stress enough how much I looked forward to this list and enjoyed titles from it. Thank you.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

Thanks for posting all these. I bought CAPSULE, realized I already have The Last Door and installed it, and downloaded the demo for Uncanny Valley. I'll be checking these out tonight. I'll also keep an eye out for Stray Cat Crossing and Our Darker Purpose for when I'm not quite so poor.

My thoughts on a few that I've played:

Splatter: Blood Red Edition: Not quite feeling you on this one. The main character is like a low-res Aiden Pearce and I didn't find his commentary to be funny in the slightest. It might have worked for me if the writing was imbued with some degree of self-awareness regarding what a tool he is, but alas. It doesn't help that the rest of the game is an average top-down shooter and a pretty boring one at that.
CLAIRE: Agreed, it's amazing how efficiently they completely failed to adapt the Lone Survivor formula. You can't have such huge, sprawling, difficult to navigate maps and have such little interesting things to find within them.
Neverending Nightmares: Agreed again, I have trouble describing exactly how much I despise this game. Corridor. Slightly different corridor, maybe an enemy or two. Repeat 30 times. Jump scare. New location. Repeat. gently caress.
Dementium II HD: I've only played a couple hours of this but from what I saw the gameplay is horrid and the horror elements are laughable. I came across a flying enemy that made this genuinely unnerving grinding/buzzing noise, but other than that it wasn't frightening at all. You recommend it but unless it gets better as you go on I can't fathom why.
Silence of the Sleep: As good as this game COULD have been the weak writing, slipshod story, and aggravating enemy avoidance gameplay really sours the experience. I thought the idea of using sound and visual cues to gauge where monsters in the next room were located was really inspired, but actually maneuvering around those enemies became a huge chore. There's a rather large sewer area late in the game where it's unclear what you're trying to do and what items you need to go about doing it, and all the while you're dodging around monsters moving between rooms. Tedious doesn't even begin to describe it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Splatter and Dementium both hinge on your tolerance for really stupid games. I have a lot of love for dumb games with solid mechanics, and I really liked the shooting in Splatter and the exploration in Dementium. I'm not going to go to bat for either, and they don't compare at all to some of the other games on the list, but for the space they occupy I thought they were adequate and entertaining.

Silence of the Sleep I totally hear you on. I almost quit in frustration during the haunted house bit, but once I pushed through it the huge clinic chapter in the middle made it all worthwhile in my eyes. After that I had the drive to push past the sewers and on to the end, but I wouldn't blame anyone for punching out during any of the horror segments.

Thanks for sharing your opinions, too. It's always good to get more perspective on these less-known games.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Unbalanced posted:

Silence of the Sleep: As good as this game COULD have been the weak writing, slipshod story, and aggravating enemy avoidance gameplay really sours the experience. I thought the idea of using sound and visual cues to gauge where monsters in the next room were located was really inspired, but actually maneuvering around those enemies became a huge chore. There's a rather large sewer area late in the game where it's unclear what you're trying to do and what items you need to go about doing it, and all the while you're dodging around monsters moving between rooms. Tedious doesn't even begin to describe it.

This is where I stopped playing.
The sewer is giant maze, there's no map, no hints where you should go, monsters wander around randomly and you have no hiding places. I spent ages wandering around, dodging monsters and picking up random items until a monster spotted me and started chasing and when I ran away I got boxed in by another monster. Death sent me right to the start, with still no idea where I should go or where all the poo poo I picked up was.

The clinic section started kinda interesting but it was far too long and just became tedious. The game also does pretty common mistake of letting you take your time and examine the monsters pretty early, so you can realize how ridiculous they look, which makes everything significantly less scary.

gyger
Feb 19, 2010
How much content is there in GALAK-Z? Pricing feels a bit steep even for a new release.

aba
Oct 2, 2013
From previous page:

Jimbot posted:

How does Shadowrun: Hong Kong compare to Dragonfall? I played through Dragonfall recently and really enjoyed it (I think it was the game Returns should have been).

For me it was a different experience compared to Dragonfall. Which has a great storytelling as you do a lot of investigation in your missions yourself and you move the story forward. After first mission you get to a point that you have to get some information. After that you are waiting for someone to give you that information and you are doing non-story missions/shadowruns for her (plus companion missions). Then you'll get the info and you'll finish the game in two missions. So story-wise I even prefer crazy bugs (and almost noir detective first half) from first game compared to emptiness of this game. And there is a lot of text. Incredible amount of text compared to Dragonfall. Every character/terminal/log/book/whatever text is long and you'll spend more than 60% reading but most of that is not interesting nor useful (and you as a player will get enough information to guess what's happening from like few dialogs by the half of the game). Together with 1-2 fights not that big fights (and sometimes even 0 if you really want) in most missions (with skill checks from time to time) it is a recipe for a boring game. I liked gameplay changes they did (spells, weapons, etc.) and I really dig the new Matrix (maybe because the fights are so scarce that I was really looking for Matrix connections) and the gameplay the best in series thanks to that (when it exists).

If you are a fan of RPG/Shadowrun then go for it as based on Steam reviews I'm in the minority, but be prepared that it is a different game than Dragonfall. It is not a bad game, but I wouldn't recommended it to everyone. Maybe playing it as a gun blazing idiot makes the gameplay more involved/fights more frequent but nothing can fix that stub of a story.

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

Zombie Samurai posted:

Thanks a lot for doing this, got some good buys and wishlists out of your recommendations.

One other thought, have you ever done a best of the best Spooky Games? Pulling in your favorites over the past few years would be interesting since I'm sure those are all on sale as well right now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zombie Samurai posted:

I bought Frankenstein: Master of Death without realising you'd reviewed it. I thought it was a decent waste of 90 minutes for 50 cents. The voice-acting was suitably poor, but as you said the visuals were really pretty good except for the really low (literally no fail state) difficulty level.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6exCjo5_q4&t=45s

GOTY

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

is this game any good? The store images remind me of Snatcher.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 1, 2015

• Locked thread