Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

How do the blind know where to feel for braille signage? Sometimes it seems like they have to just luck into touching the wall where a plaque happens to be, is there a system for placement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

How would I find good recommendations for a small UPS to keep power flowing to my small NAS?

You could fuss around with this thing to get some idea.

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/tools/ups_selector/

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

How would I find good recommendations for a small UPS to keep power flowing to my small NAS?

If the NAS is a commercial product (or a self-contained OS/NAS product like FreeNAS/TrueNAS), I'd suggest looking at their supported NAS device list. The ability to properly trigger a shutdown via the USB port shouldn't be underestimated. At that point, you can then start running some math on how long you want uptime to be and decide from there.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

SIHappiness posted:

If the NAS is a commercial product (or a self-contained OS/NAS product like FreeNAS/TrueNAS), I'd suggest looking at their supported NAS device list. The ability to properly trigger a shutdown via the USB port shouldn't be underestimated. At that point, you can then start running some math on how long you want uptime to be and decide from there.

Oh good idea!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

On my phone I access Facebook through a browser. My feed seems to have posts from a small handful of people. I went into the browser options and toggled the "Desktop Site" mode and it's like a completely different feed -- I'm seeing people I haven't seen for years. What's the deal?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

On my phone I access Facebook through a browser. My feed seems to have posts from a small handful of people. I went into the browser options and toggled the "Desktop Site" mode and it's like a completely different feed -- I'm seeing people I haven't seen for years. What's the deal?

You consume content differently, so the feed results are altered. It tracks the types of thing you do and clusters people that maybe you've looked at on your phone or were near during an outing or potentially even called/texted. Since it knows which device you're using, it tailors your experience.

Yes it's weird. No it doesn't actually make sense.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Maybe use the app? Right now you can actually view all posts in proper reverse chronological order by clicking the next to last icon to get to Feeds and then All and voila.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Killingyouguy! posted:

How do the blind know where to feel for braille signage? Sometimes it seems like they have to just luck into touching the wall where a plaque happens to be, is there a system for placement?
most blind people can still see to some degree, and i'd imagine you get pretty good at knowing where to look for those things. every year i volunteer to make braille calendars for the blind, and we have braille readers come to proofread them. one year i needed to give one of the proofers a ride home, and he could tell where we were from counting the street lights and told me when to turn

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah, and there's lots of different kinds of vision loss and signal processing challenges. There's even kinds of blindness where you can only perceive still images. Braille is an excellent solution for many, many kinds of vision loss.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Has Lenovo/Synaptic released an official fix for the driver update that ruined my touchpad? Will they?
(Their current "fix" is a post on the Lenovo message board that directs us to download the old version of the driver from an unknown person's Google Drive.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Greg12 posted:

Has Lenovo/Synaptic released an official fix for the driver update that ruined my touchpad? Will they?
(Their current "fix" is a post on the Lenovo message board that directs us to download the old version of the driver from an unknown person's Google Drive.)
Use the trackpoint instead like god intended?

Seriously though which model do you have and what's the issue? I have the previous gen X1 Yoga and it's working fine. But you should be able to roll back the driver version in device manager if there's a problem.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I bought a display cabinet with some installed LED puck lights, and each light's cable ends with these.

I'm guessing I need some sort of hub to attach all of them to in order to plug them into the wall, but I don't know any of the right terminology to find what I need. So does anyone know what its called when an electrical cable ends with these little doodads or what I need in order to get these plugged in? The pucks themselves seem generic and don't seem to have any brand or identification markings.

Thanks!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Is it possible to report a doctor for trying to convince me not to get an STI test? His reasoning was that I shouldn't have any since I've never been sexually active (that I'm aware of) despite me saying that I was intending to become sexually active. He also instructed me not to have sex outside of marriage and to be wary of the #MeToo movement.

Also, is it possible to get blood diagnostic results sent to a different doctor after they've been scheduled?

kalel fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 22, 2022

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Assuming the US, while it sounds like your doctor is a douchebag, there isn't anything he did that counts as malpractice. Most tests are ordered based on risk mitigation and treatment. Since you haven't been sexually active (and presumably don't have any symptoms), it is highly unlikely you have any STIs. I guess there's nothing wrong with doing it, but it's a waste of resources and insurance might complain.

As to the other stuff it sounds like typical conservative talking points. In an ideal system the doctor would warn you about unprotected sex, the value in condoms and other protective measures, and maybe give advice on consent since you are someone new to sexual activity. But nothing that doctor said is likely to get them in trouble.

As for the results, probably not. Potentially a different doctor within their team could, but it gets complicated with who orders a test and who can report it (again, insurance complicated this).

Sometimes a nurse (or web app if available) reports the results to me (if nothing is wrong) or has me scheduled a follow up if something looks concerning.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Unfortunately the only good response to “my doctor is a chud” is to find a new doctor.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

kalel posted:

Is it possible to report a doctor for trying to convince me not to get an STI test? His reasoning was that I shouldn't have any since I've never been sexually active

Idk where you live but where I live, you'd be turned down on this request because it'd be a waste of resources

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a way to set up automated alerts for flight status? it's a united flight and I see how to check it on the united website, but I want an email if there's an issue. Also it's not my flight, I'm picking the person up so I'm not already getting alerts like the other person is.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

redreader posted:

Is there a way to set up automated alerts for flight status? it's a united flight and I see how to check it on the united website, but I want an email if there's an issue. Also it's not my flight, I'm picking the person up so I'm not already getting alerts like the other person is.

I'd grab a flight tracking app. On Android, I use The Flight Tracker from Impala Studios.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Douche4Sale posted:

Assuming the US, while it sounds like your doctor is a douchebag, there isn't anything he did that counts as malpractice. Most tests are ordered based on risk mitigation and treatment. Since you haven't been sexually active (and presumably don't have any symptoms), it is highly unlikely you have any STIs. I guess there's nothing wrong with doing it, but it's a waste of resources and insurance might complain.

As to the other stuff it sounds like typical conservative talking points. In an ideal system the doctor would warn you about unprotected sex, the value in condoms and other protective measures, and maybe give advice on consent since you are someone new to sexual activity. But nothing that doctor said is likely to get them in trouble.

As for the results, probably not. Potentially a different doctor within their team could, but it gets complicated with who orders a test and who can report it (again, insurance complicated this).

Sometimes a nurse (or web app if available) reports the results to me (if nothing is wrong) or has me scheduled a follow up if something looks concerning.

Thanks. I guess I'll stick it out for now

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

hooah posted:

I'd grab a flight tracking app. On Android, I use The Flight Tracker from Impala Studios.

Flighty is good on iOS.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm similarly looking for an app, but one that tracks elevation. you'd think this would be in google maps, but i've yet to see the option. it would be great to know while driving out west.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

i'm similarly looking for an app, but one that tracks elevation. you'd think this would be in google maps, but i've yet to see the option. it would be great to know while driving out west.

You mean like logging it as you go? Strava does this okay

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

alnilam posted:

If you do this please set your exercise to be private so you don't clog up 'cycling' leader boards with times that are impossible on a bike / running.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

alnilam posted:

i guess? ideally it would just appear on google maps as i'm driving. so whatever gets closest to that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

i guess? ideally it would just appear on google maps as i'm driving. so whatever gets closest to that.

Hmm like you just want to see your elevation at a glance but you're not necessarily looking to track/log it? Garmin's EarthMate, in the compass tab, shows this. So does OnX. I typically use the former in conjunction with an inReach but it works from the phone's GPS just fine. I'm sure there are plenty of other simple compass apps that will just display your lat, long, and elevation.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My phone screen broke, not shattered but stopped working. As part of my purchase I took the phone trade-in option, thinking I could do it remotely. Turns out it ran out of power and even recharging it I can't get it found. Will it fun up either my life or my credit if I turn it in without factory resetting it?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do probiotics even work? I've been having problems with my gut for the longest time. I got a bad case of C Difficile and I don't think I ever got back to 100% after it. I've been taking probiotics for a week now, I always thought they were bogus cause they just get destroyed in the stomach. It's got some cheesy marketing ultrashield capsule that supposedly gets to the small intestine. I have noticed slight positive changes but I don't know if it's placebo.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Qubee posted:

Do probiotics even work? I've been having problems with my gut for the longest time. I got a bad case of C Difficile and I don't think I ever got back to 100% after it. I've been taking probiotics for a week now, I always thought they were bogus cause they just get destroyed in the stomach. It's got some cheesy marketing ultrashield capsule that supposedly gets to the small intestine. I have noticed slight positive changes but I don't know if it's placebo.

Like with most things, I do believe they can be good for you, but they are touted as a more dramatic cure-all than they are.

I just mainly eat yoghurt and sauerkraut because they taste good.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
As far as I'm aware there is some evidence that they help with gut disorders like that but not a ton, and I'm under the impression that theres not really any evidence that they do anything for people who are already healthy.

If they're not super expensive it probably won't hurt to keep taking them for a while and see if you notice more improvement, gut problems can last for quite a while even after the acute or severe symptoms fade.

PiratePrentice fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 23, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

Compass.app (which comes with iPhones after the 3GS) shows the elevation.

You will either have to choose an app that lets you show the elevation on-screen (I like Here We Go and Waze) or cycle between two apps, one your GPS and one your elevation thing. I suppose you could use Apple Maps and have the compass be the main screen and just use the notifications for navigating, since the integration there is very good.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

--

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 24, 2022

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Unfortunately the Indian government has no way of knowing you’re not a crazy stalker trying to ensnare one of their citizens. If you don’t work something out, take some comfort that those obtuse stubborn bureaucrats have at least probably prevented some genuine crazy stalkers with their caution.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Consider hiring a professional crazy stalker aka a private investigator, outside of detective movies stuff like this is exactly what they're for.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Consider hiring a professional crazy stalker aka a private investigator, outside of detective movies stuff like this is exactly what they're for.

Yeah this or take advantage of any local connections you might have. There's probably also professional handlers/consultants for overseas businesses that have to navigate the same bureaucratic maze. Either way, you'll probably have to pay for somebody's services.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm more than happy to pay for someone's services. I just have no idea how to even go about finding a reliable, reputable and trustworthy PI in India. I have no local connections, either in the country I'm currently residing in nor in India.

I got a bunch of contact details for Indian lawyers from the embassy but they weren't much help either and none of them were willing to accept payment, though they all applauded the reason for why I was trying to get in contact with the person. I was hoping the lawyer could act as a neutral middle man that the embassy would be willing to share confidential information with, but that was a no go. I'd also be willing to take the previous employer to court for the mistreatment and misconduct of their employee and to obtain the contact details (phone number) but this country is bizarro land and I'd probably get shafted myself, so I'm just avoiding that route. Plus, the employer would most likely just purge their phone of any details and claim they no longer have it just out of spite.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions on how to start a fire using regular fire wood (stuff you buy at the supermarket) as opposed to a Duralog? Duralogs are a bit expensive even when on sale, and it seems that you need 2-3 to really get the place warm.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions on how to start a fire using regular fire wood (stuff you buy at the supermarket) as opposed to a Duralog? Duralogs are a bit expensive even when on sale, and it seems that you need 2-3 to really get the place warm.

Right by the duralogs, the store should have fire starters made to ignite wood easily.

If your fireplace is big enough, you could also get a little chimney starter and use paper. You’d find those in the grilling area of any hardware store or Walmart type store, looks like a metal cylinder with a handle.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I mean you just put some paper and tinder in there and light it with a match, right? I had a fireplace in one of the houses I lived in growing up and that's basically what we'd do.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Crumple newspaper pages loosely to get the initial flame rolling. Put tightly rolled pages on top, they will burn slowly to give time for the wood to ignite. Chop one of the logs into smaller pieces (or no axe, use the thinnest) to put on first.

Doritos are loving amazing firestarters in a pinch.

E: and don’t smush the news paper with wood, you want to pile the stuff loosely so there’s space for oxygen and smoke to circulate

E2: if your chimney hasn’t been cleaned in a while, it can take like triple the normal amount to get an updraft going but maybe that’s just me :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah you gotta get some small wood or sticks in there, more than you think you need. Paper burns first and gets the sticks going, sticks get the medium and then bigger wood burning. Feed in more sticks as they burn away until the medium sized wood is truly on fire.