Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Kins posted:

He's a re-reg of someone who's gone through many usernames over the last 14 years because they keep getting banned for posting very badly about videogames. One of those was rebranded Worms Butthole Guy, because his avatar was changed to Wormskull's crack, and some aliases can never be shaken.
For context, before that I believe they posted a picture of Tails from Sonic with the drawing emphasizing his butthole "ironically" or whatever. So it started as Tails Butthole Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bumhead posted:

At the risk of going off topic (or is it?) can someone give me a quick primer on what the worms butthole thing is about?

I think it’s hilarious, just wish I knew it’s origins.

he has worms inside his rear end in a top hat

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

got the Outer Worlds spacer's choice edition, it looks really good. i'm enjoying it way more than on last gen when the load times kinda killed it

Good game, runs great on Series X.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

The Kins posted:

He's a re-reg of someone who's gone through many usernames over the last 14 years because they keep getting banned for posting very badly about videogames. One of those was rebranded Worms Butthole Guy, because his avatar was changed to Wormskull's crack, and some aliases can never be shaken.

This whole time I thought it was related to an affliction he may have posted about in The Goon Doctor or something. :laugh:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fanatic posted:

This whole time I thought it was related to an affliction he may have posted about in The Goon Doctor or something. :laugh:

he definitely does have a medical affliction op

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Jesus, why is making basic games so hard? What happened to all these game engines that supposedly solved all the stupid poo poo so people can just focus on being creative?

It feels like the bones of the game could have been fleshed out in 3 months and then another 6 for polish. 5 loving years is insane.

idk anything about this specific indie cat game but engines don’t really magically solve all your problems like some people think they do. using unreal or unity means you don’t need to code the fundamental laws of reality into your game from scratch but it still takes a lot of work and iteration to make something that looks and feels good to play and indie devs are usually really small teams and in some cases they’re working on the game in their free time from their other job since you typically don’t see any revenue from a game until it’s complete

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Jesus, why is making basic games so hard? What happened to all these game engines that supposedly solved all the stupid poo poo so people can just focus on being creative?

It feels like the bones of the game could have been fleshed out in 3 months and then another 6 for polish. 5 loving years is insane.

That was all marketing bullshit from the people selling the engines to the people who want to fire half of their devs, OP. Making games takes loving forever. Daily progress is infinitesimal. Chasing down and fixing individual bugs can drag on for weeks. poo poo is hard.

Edit: Also no one wants to give you funding until you've already finished development.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

by VideoGames

Feels Villeneuve posted:

he definitely does have a medical affliction op

Are we talking about 90s guy?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Making games is hard because you're making art on top of scaffolding that is always moving and changing. What you get at the end is rarely what you envisioned at the start, which is why starting with a well-defined creative vision is so important; that last part is where most projects lately have been falling short. Teams are starting with vague bullshit like "space", or "gaas" or "sort of colorful, maybe", and that kind of vaguery does not survive the inevitable brutalization of the development process.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Umm not sure how to break it to you

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just beat Hellblade: Senua's Cadre of British Mean Girls ASMR.

I hope they're nicer to her in the next game. :ohdear:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

univbee posted:

it's probably going to be like a Metroid game where she trips on something and then it's back to square one

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

mutata posted:

That was all marketing bullshit from the people selling the engines to the people who want to fire half of their devs, OP. Making games takes loving forever. Daily progress is infinitesimal. Chasing down and fixing individual bugs can drag on for weeks. poo poo is hard.

Edit: Also no one wants to give you funding until you've already finished development.

Guys a gamer

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

univbee posted:

probably the most unnerving moment from senua's personal peanut gallery was when they did act nice/encouraging towards her so i doubt the end of the first game is going to affect their overall disposition much one way or the other

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

The Kins posted:

I had to re-reg for other reasons I was never banned for a video game related post. I think I have been confused with someone else

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

are there any chill city builder kind of games y'all would suggest? Not the Sims cause playin that game with a controller is frustrating but something with minimal to no combat and just something you can chill and vibe with

or some relaxing jrpg combat or something

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

GreenBuckanneer posted:

are there any chill city builder kind of games y'all would suggest? Not the Sims cause playin that game with a controller is frustrating but something with minimal to no combat and just something you can chill and vibe with

It's from back in the 360 era, but Kingdom for Keflings and the sequel World of Keflings are no-fail city builders that are pretty chill

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Isn't the most recent Steamworld game something along those lines? It's on Game Pass, too

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

Isn't the most recent Steamworld game something along those lines? It's on Game Pass, too
It's a city builder thing, yes, but it also has a combat element and GreenBuckanneer didn't want that.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Townscaper is more of a canvas than a game, but definitely a chill way to make towns! Not a sim, but a fun way to build.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/townscaper/9NFM39PSFXJD

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

90sgamer posted:

I had to re-reg for other reasons I was never banned for a video game related post. I think I have been confused with someone else

yeah, you were banned for being a racist dickhead if your rapsheet was anything to go by on your other account.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

404notfound posted:

It's from back in the 360 era, but Kingdom for Keflings and the sequel World of Keflings are no-fail city builders that are pretty chill

Anything more recent? Maybe with more combat as a compromise?

On The Internet posted:

Townscaper is more of a canvas than a game, but definitely a chill way to make towns! Not a sim, but a fun way to build.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/townscaper/9NFM39PSFXJD

That looks interesting, thank you.

Toaster Beef posted:

Never heard of this, not quite my aesthetic (more into scifi than steampunk) but I'll take a look

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Is Against The Storm on console? My wife loves that game.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't know if it's "chill" but Anno 1800 has pretty minimal combat.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hard to read this as anything but so long and thanks for the fish with recent developments.

https://twitter.com/NinjaTheory/status/1792601275550302264?s=19

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Harlock posted:

Hard to read this as anything but so long and thanks for the fish with recent developments.

Microsoft has already greenlit their next project

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

This post may age very poorly but apparently according to some "insider" Ninja Theory's next game has been greenlit in addition to Project Mara. Could be damage control though idk.

https://x.com/JezCorden/status/1792634668287742113

This is the teaser they showed for Project Mara 4 years ago. Probably a small scale horror game but NT are getting so close to photorealism it's wild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyYzrcZurAs

Anyways if they do indeed have a new project greenlit I think it would be cool if they made a colorful action game like they have done before. Xbox doesn't have anything like that right now and DMC is on hiatus I think (???) and I've no idea what Platinum Games are even doing any more.

edit: beaten by butthole worms

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
E: Beaten lol

NT's pretty small and low-budget for what they pull off, so I suspect they'll sneak under the bean-counter's radar.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

and DMC is on hiatus I think (???) and I've no idea what Platinum Games are even doing any more.
The Devil May Cry team/director just put out Dragon's Dogma 2.

Platinum is... troubled, and seems fairly intent on diving rear end-first into live-service stuff even after Babylon's Fall tripped and broke its neck at the first hurdle.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gonna lol at the last few posts when MS close them in three months

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Kins posted:

The Devil May Cry team/director just put out Dragon's Dogma 2.

Platinum is... troubled, and seems fairly intent on diving rear end-first into live-service stuff even after Babylon's Fall tripped and broke its neck at the first hurdle.

That sucks but I'm secretly hoping we see a PG return to form with a new Bayonetta game for Switch 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A game being greenlit is not remotely the same as a game surviving to development. It doesn't mean NINJA THEORY IS DOOOMED or anything but countless studios get poo poo greenlit only for it to be canned well before the public sees any of it. People are going to be understandably hesitant to believe anything until NT's next game is actually shown off and that's honestly probably going to be a couple years away if it hits this console gen at all.

SUNKOS posted:

That sucks but I'm secretly hoping we see a PG return to form with a new Bayonetta game for Switch 2.

Platinum apparently worked on Final Fantasy 16 (and if you see the Eikon battles it's REALLY obvious what they contributed to) so they haven't been doing nothing exactly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No way they get another game out this gen, if ever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ninja theory is my least favorite developer of all time so it would be my luck that they're the one dev who gets no cuts

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

A game being greenlit is not remotely the same as a game surviving to development. It doesn't mean NINJA THEORY IS DOOOMED or anything but countless studios get poo poo greenlit only for it to be canned well before the public sees any of it. People are going to be understandably hesitant to believe anything until NT's next game is actually shown off and that's honestly probably going to be a couple years away if it hits this console gen at all.

Yeah but you forget games also get shitcanned after being shown off as well :eng101:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ninja theory is my least favorite developer of all time so it would be my luck that they're the one dev who gets no cuts

even below the wretched ubisoft,,,,??

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

I’m gonna lol when you have worms coming out of your butt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Harlock posted:

Sexual harassment distancing memo or pre-release statement? Who can say.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this feels like such a weird grudge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I might install Senua's Sacrifice if this game seems good. Definitely like that Ninja Theory are making different type of games but also the gameplay seems unappealing to me, lets see what happens with reviews/impressions tomorrow.