Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Malachite_Dragon posted:

God, my mother does the same drat inability to explain.
"Hand me the thing by the thing! No, the other thing! Under that other thing!" [Word for word quote]

My beloved mother, bless her heart, says "Turn down the street here," where "down" is towards the nearest body of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is chemically plausible though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/Airdorf/status/1788938942240240041

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have a more relevant ADHD-related tweet that struck me.

https://twitter.com/Quid4Squid/status/1788282554979610870

Doing well at my customer service job (we had procedures) vs currently asking for confirmation on whether I am doing the basics correctly

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Squidster posted:

My beloved mother, bless her heart, says "Turn down the street here," where "down" is towards the nearest body of water.

seems like that will usually be downhill, overall?

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Sounds like a cute way to sidestep left-right confusion, but everyone involved needs to know the area already.

Back in school I once gave (inner city) directions to a friend in cardinal directions, and it took ages for her to stop teasing me about it. In my mind everyone vaguely knew where north was, give or take 15 degrees.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Spoiler alert: the dad also has adhd

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Spoiler alert: the dad also has adhd

Yes, but if you said that to him he'd get super mad about it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I got that with my mother who I had to ask 4-5 times before I even begin to get actionable instructions out of, and then still got yelled at for doing what she told me to do or not doing what she told me not to do.

I think it's more raging narcissism where they can't possibly imagine that everyone else isn't also aware of their exact thoughts and desires at all times. Except when they're lying.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I don't understand why this is a post. Is it a joke or is it someone being dumb?

The person posting screenshots of a tiktok on Twitter is making fun of it. There is a trope among some extremely online ADHD/autism/other communities that neurotypical people are basically NPCs with no internal monologue or personality.

In this case, the woman is claiming that neurotypical people do not get earworms. She's also pathologizing having an earworm, a common thing that happens to pretty much everyone, and calling it "internal echolalia." Echolalia is the involuntary repetition of words in a meaningless way. Having a song stuck in your head is not echolalia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rosalind posted:

The person posting screenshots of a tiktok on Twitter is making fun of it. There is a trope among some extremely online ADHD/autism/other communities that neurotypical people are basically NPCs with no internal monologue or personality.

In this case, the woman is claiming that neurotypical people do not get earworms. She's also pathologizing having an earworm, a common thing that happens to pretty much everyone, and calling it "internal echolalia." Echolalia is the involuntary repetition of words in a meaningless way. Having a song stuck in your head is not echolalia.

There's definitely a fuzzy line, at the very least. Though I would welcome the knowledge that everyone gets tunes stuck in their head long enough to start mentally replacing the lyrics as creatively as idle thought enables, especially involving entertainingly crude topics. My favourite is testicular trauma.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
My brother in law is named "stu" and I learned very early on in my nephew's life that an easy way to stir him up is to replace the lyric 'you' with his dad's name and now I do it out of habit even when he's not around

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"Hand me the thing by the thing! No, the other thing! Under that other thing!" [Word for word quote]

Mine too - "have you seen the um, whatchamacallit, the yoke, you know, the thing you use to <incomprehensible gesture>"
Cue rage when you have no idea what she wants.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My favourite is testicular trauma.

:chloe:

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
It's because your parents were hoping you were also paying attention and might have thought of a solution as well. This is the same at work - you should be thinking of what you could do to help with a problem, that way you already have a more limited set of self selected options to pick from when your asked to help.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

eonblue174 posted:

It's because your parents were hoping you were also paying attention and might have thought of a solution as well. This is the same at work - you should be thinking of what you could do to help with a problem, that way you already have a more limited set of self selected options to pick from when your asked to help.

counterpoint: gently caress work, always do the minimum necessary

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If you can't see the amusement of replacing a song's lyrics to be about getting smacked in the balls I don't know how to help ya

eonblue174 posted:

maybe they can learn to use their goddamn words and not assume they are a king and everyone around them is their servants who attend to their every whim on pain of death

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

A large number of online people like to cosplay having that lucrative Mr Robot autism.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you can't see the amusement of replacing a song's lyrics to be about getting smacked in the balls I don't know how to help ya

Change my pitch up
smack my bits up 🎶

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's definitely a fuzzy line, at the very least. Though I would welcome the knowledge that everyone gets tunes stuck in their head long enough to start mentally replacing the lyrics as creatively as idle thought enables, especially involving entertainingly crude topics. My favourite is testicular trauma.

Well no there's no line at all because "internal echolalia" is not a thing. Echolalia is specifically the speech behavior of repeating vocalizations made by another person. It is a symptom of autism, Tourette, ADHD, schizophrenia, etc. Repeating songs in your head, even long enough to replace the lyrics, is not a compulsive vocalization. If you were automatically, reflexively singing those songs out loud, then it would be echolalia.

Your ability to remember a song and create parody lyrics is not pathological unless it's causing you distress, becoming a compulsion (e.g. "I cannot go to bed until I sing the testicular trauma song in my head"), or otherwise interfering with your ability to function. Then it would certainly fall under intrusive thoughts which can often take the form of violent/painful/sexual imagery and is a common symptom of OCD (although also a ton of other conditions as well).

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My father wrote and published incredibly detailed manuals and SOPs so I had the opposite problem: he left me completely unprepared for how vague and unhelpful everyone else in my life would be when giving instructions.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

eonblue174 posted:

As someone with an advanced degree focused on how people learn, this is the way very very stupid people try to get others to learn. It's more about making yourself feel smart than it is transferring knowledge.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Griddle of Love posted:

Sounds like a cute way to sidestep left-right confusion, but everyone involved needs to know the area already.

Back in school I once gave (inner city) directions to a friend in cardinal directions, and it took ages for her to stop teasing me about it. In my mind everyone vaguely knew where north was, give or take 15 degrees.

Me and my best friend growing up both mapped out the city we grew up in by basically learning all of the major north/south and east/west streets as a base and then filling in all smaller ones around them. So we'd give directions to each other by using cardinal directions.

Turned out no one else in our friend group did that and they all thought we were some mix of weird or odd.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

It's more about making yourself feel smart than it is transferring knowledge.

they already said parents, yes

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rosalind posted:

Oh OK I see, thanks. So the type of person who calls NTs "normies" I assume.
I've only recently learned that there are in fact a handful of ASD/ND traits unique to people on the spectrum and not everyone sees pictures in their mind all the time for example. I was pretty sure an earworm is a shared human experience though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

When my mother did that it was because she genuinely could not remember what the thing in question was called, or even if it had a proper name in English, as opposed to her native language.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The funny thing about online NPC discourse is that while NPCs are not a real thing, if they were the type of people who call others NPCs are probably the best candidates for being NPCs.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

maybe they can learn to use their goddamn words and not assume they are a king and everyone around them is their servants who attend to their every whim on pain of death

projecthalaxy posted:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Oliver Sacks wrote a really good book called Musicophilia that talks extensively about pathological musicality, earworms etc. so if you're actually curious you could read about that instead of giving insanely dumb TikTok peoples' half-baked ideas any amount of credit

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This is all reminding me of people's annoying habit of starting to talk without getting my attention first, expecting me to already be listening. I have the (possibly autistic?) trait that parsing spoken words requires a little bit of focus on my part -- it isn't difficult, but I do have to be doing it. In so many conversations, my first response is "What?" or "Say that again?" because my brain didn't have the speech-recognition program loaded when the other person just started talking out of the blue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heath posted:

Oliver Sacks wrote a really good book called Musicophilia that talks extensively about pathological musicality, earworms etc. so if you're actually curious you could read about that instead of giving insanely dumb TikTok peoples' half-baked ideas any amount of credit

is the science in that good? I’ve been burned by so many pleasant-to-read pop science books…

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oliver Sacks is one of the most highly regarded neuroscientists of the past century.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Powered Descent posted:

This is all reminding me of people's annoying habit of starting to talk without getting my attention first, expecting me to already be listening. I have the (possibly autistic?) trait that parsing spoken words requires a little bit of focus on my part -- it isn't difficult, but I do have to be doing it. In so many conversations, my first response is "What?" or "Say that again?" because my brain didn't have the speech-recognition program loaded when the other person just started talking out of the blue.

Even better when they do this and are also continuing a conversation that began in their head or we were having ten minutes ago. Like playing Broken Telephone on hard mode.

I'll be doing the dishes with the white noise of running water next to me and my wife will be on the couch trying to say to me "...But only if the bagpipes aren't too loud." and I'll just be trying to figure out wtf she just said.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Subjunctive posted:

is the science in that good? I’ve been burned by so many pleasant-to-read pop science books…

I haven't read it, but I can say with absolute certainty that the science is good, op.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Our old chemistry teacher used to call everything situation. "Bring that situation over here next to that situation!" meant "Move the overhead projector next to my desk!" for instance.

Squidster posted:

That is down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oliver Sacks is one of the most highly regarded neuroscientists of the past century.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I haven't read it, but I can say with absolute certainty that the science is good, op.

Wonderful, thank you.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Past century? No thanks. I'd like someone more up to speed

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Subjunctive posted:

Wonderful, thank you.

I've read a lot of his books and not only was he highly rated in his field as a scientist, he was extremely engaging as a writer - I remember the first time I read "The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat", I was was so completely engrossed, I climbed down off the top deck of a double-decker bus and out on to the read while still reading.
Literally couldn't put it down :allears:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pookah posted:

I've read a lot of his books and not only was he highly rated in his field as a scientist, he was extremely engaging as a writer - I remember the first time I read "The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat", I was was so completely engrossed, I climbed down off the top deck of a double-decker bus and out on to the read while still reading.
Literally couldn't put it down :allears:

Yeah I remember hearing good things about his books, I’m glad he is legit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Squidster posted:

In my mind, this is correct unless where the water is located is not immediately clear in which case "down" is South.