Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ibexaz posted:

I've received a job offer from a former teacher of mine who owns a business under Allstate, and he's looking to have me come in as an insurance sales agent. Now, I've never done sales outside of, like, heating and air conditioning protection plans, and I'm not too familiar with insurance policies as it is, what should I know before considering his proposition? Is this something that anyone would consider as a good job, or is it kind of a crapshoot as far as making any money goes?

Like most things in life, Insurance Sales in an agency like that is all about who you know. Once you know enough about insurance you'll be able to handle yourself well enough, and getting licensed and being immersed in it is generally good enough. The trick is, in order to make a good living, you need to be able to generate new policies and maintain those policies. This mean its all about how many people you can pull in and write policies for in order to start and grow your book of businesses. You'll find that the most successful agents aren't giants of insurance knowledge and technical skills-its creating and maintaining good relationships with customers who have a lot of money and consistently bring in more business.

Now starting out, it sucks. Its not a"good job" you're going to have long hours, not a lot of income, and a ton of pressure to perform. Being an agent isn't really high prestige....until you turn the corner and start bringing in good money for the agency with some good high profile and high quality clients. Then you gain the respectability that comes with being a small business owner in the professional community. Some people get that quick by having a lot of capital, both social and financial, to attract and keep high value clients. Others have to build it up from scratch over the course of years.

Just know that the job doesn't suck in and of itself, but the mechanics of getting and finding clients can. If you want to make a modest income chilling at a desk helping people that come in, you won't be kept around long. If you want to make a lot of money and dig in head first with a lot of effort up front, then there ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
If you are working as "staff" for the agent then your goal should be to get licensed, get experience and then get out of that agency in roughly 2-3 years. Work hard and do well, but know that as a staff member you will always make less than if you were an agent yourself. Think of a staff position as an entry level position and from there if you work hard you can go into Underwriting, Claims, become an Agent, or even branch out into an Independent Agency as a Producer. You should get the experience needed and then start looking for the network that gets you to the next level. I've never met anyone that was staff in an agency that said "Man I could do this forever".

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having a bad day at work so I'm going to reiterate this again.

If you ever have to change policies or move companies or whatever, DO NOT CANCEL YOUR INSURANCE. For some reason in the past few months everyone and their brother decided that insurance wasn't a big deal and I'm getting a lot of "I didn't want it anymore, so I cancelled it".

Also related, and I think to answer the question for a lot of folks; if you don't pay your bills, it reflects badly on your credit. Your insurance is a bill. Starting and stopping again looks bad on your credit, and most companies pull a soft credit in order to quote you up. Not knowing when your bills come out each month is crucial not only for, well, LIFE, but also for your insurance. To get lower rates, make consistent payments with no lapses. Even holding onto a car insurance policy for 3 years with a good company can do work on your credit score!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

To get lower rates, make consistent payments with no lapses. Even holding onto a car insurance policy for 3 years with a good company can do work on your credit score!

I've had car insurance for over a decade and nothing from my insurer appears on my credit report - the hell are you talking about?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

I've had car insurance for over a decade and nothing from my insurer appears on my credit report - the hell are you talking about?

Who is your carrier?

A lot of the big ones will show up, not as a revolving credit thing like a credit card, but an overall base rate. This is third hand knowledge I'm using here, so grain of salt, but the longer you pay your bill the less likely you are to have something show up negative. Maybe its a NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS type thing where if you start and stop, you get a black mark, but if you don't, you keep cruising on upwards.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

Who is your carrier?

A lot of the big ones will show up, not as a revolving credit thing like a credit card, but an overall base rate. This is third hand knowledge I'm using here, so grain of salt, but the longer you pay your bill the less likely you are to have something show up negative. Maybe its a NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS type thing where if you start and stop, you get a black mark, but if you don't, you keep cruising on upwards.

Geico

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I'm sure there's a correlation, plus in jurisdictions where insurance cos can use credit to determine rates I'm sure that correlation results in the outcomes you're talking about.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah I wonder if Jastiger is looking at merged reports that also have an insurance bureau report on them. I look at 50+ credit files per day and have never seen an insurance policy show up on one. I have seen loans with banks that are owned by insurance companies (State Farm, USAA) but that's it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

therobit posted:

Yeah I wonder if Jastiger is looking at merged reports that also have an insurance bureau report on them. I look at 50+ credit files per day and have never seen an insurance policy show up on one. I have seen loans with banks that are owned by insurance companies (State Farm, USAA) but that's it.

Well it was really referred to me from an underwriter. It could be more that A) not having a collections amount for unpaid insurance dues helps and B) Maintaining insurance often means other bills are being paid as well so you're just likely correlating to an improved credit score anyway.

The person who "Just quits paying their insurance" is likely to have something owed and reported to agencies as delinquent. Likewise if they cancel their policy just 'cuz same thing. Its a reflection of that persons financial acumen and accountability really. I just grow weary of trying to sell and explain policies to people that lack basic financial education. Sure, insurance isn't the end all be all, but if you can't be assed to pay something you're legally required to have on a consistent basis, why should it be cheaper and readily available to you than someone who DOES do those things.

So yeah credit matters.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Well it was really referred to me from an underwriter. It could be more that A) not having a collections amount for unpaid insurance dues helps and B) Maintaining insurance often means other bills are being paid as well so you're just likely correlating to an improved credit score anyway.

The person who "Just quits paying their insurance" is likely to have something owed and reported to agencies as delinquent. Likewise if they cancel their policy just 'cuz same thing. Its a reflection of that persons financial acumen and accountability really. I just grow weary of trying to sell and explain policies to people that lack basic financial education. Sure, insurance isn't the end all be all, but if you can't be assed to pay something you're legally required to have on a consistent basis, why should it be cheaper and readily available to you than someone who DOES do those things.

So yeah credit matters.

The only time insurance should make an appearance on a credit report is if you shop a lot and they do soft hits to get credit information as part of the application, OR if you don't pay your bill and it goes to collections. If the company you are dealing with sends the past due bill to collections the collection company can report that to your credit.

Insurance is treated just like a utility for the most part...you won't see electric or gas companies on your credit report unless you piss one off and they get a collections company on you.

To rant along with you let me share a small discussion I had with a moron:
I had written a named non-owner policy for an 18 year old son of one of our policy holders. His mother called and said he needed to be covered to drive his grandfather's car or roommate's if need be. I of course ask where his mailing address is...she says at the same address as her. Of course that means he has lived there for years and they never bothered to tell us. Since he hasn't had insurance, he is young, and it is a non-owner policy I put him with Progressive. $180/mo for a minimum liability non-owner policy. Now this was all done two weeks ago. Yesterday his mom calls back up and tells me they got him a car in his name and they need insurance on it. I ask when they bought the car. She tells me that they bought it 1 day after getting the non-owner policy. That is strike 2 for anyone keeping track of the stupid game. I quote it a few different ways and with a few companies. Since he is 18, didn't have insurance, has a loan and needs coverage now the rates are all fairly high...like $300/mo high. The mother says she won't pay that and hangs up on me. At this point gently caress her. She calls me back 15 minutes later and says she spoke with the state BMV and they said her insurance should cover any relative that she lets drive cars in her home and asks if that is true. I tell her yes the policies do have that clause in them, BUT, knowing where this is going, I tell her that adding the car to her policy and NOT adding her son to the policy is a form of fraud and in the event he gets in an accident her carrier can deny the claim and take them to court for premiums not charged. She tells me that she believes the BMV representative more than me...you know...the licensed insurance agent that does this day in and day out for the pas 5 years, but she is going to trust the moron at the BMV whose only interaction with insurance is asking you to check a box saying you have it when you renew your license plates.

So, to sum everything up nicely...I put a note in our agency record system for the household, a note in the company system for the policy and cancel the non-owner policy at her request. People like this are the scum that I wish would get caught and have their claim denied so I can say "TOLD YOU SO!"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OssiansFolly posted:

The only time insurance should make an appearance on a credit report is if you shop a lot and they do soft hits to get credit information as part of the application, OR if you don't pay your bill and it goes to collections. If the company you are dealing with sends the past due bill to collections the collection company can report that to your credit.

Insurance is treated just like a utility for the most part...you won't see electric or gas companies on your credit report unless you piss one off and they get a collections company on you.

To rant along with you let me share a small discussion I had with a moron:
I had written a named non-owner policy for an 18 year old son of one of our policy holders. His mother called and said he needed to be covered to drive his grandfather's car or roommate's if need be. I of course ask where his mailing address is...she says at the same address as her. Of course that means he has lived there for years and they never bothered to tell us. Since he hasn't had insurance, he is young, and it is a non-owner policy I put him with Progressive. $180/mo for a minimum liability non-owner policy. Now this was all done two weeks ago. Yesterday his mom calls back up and tells me they got him a car in his name and they need insurance on it. I ask when they bought the car. She tells me that they bought it 1 day after getting the non-owner policy. That is strike 2 for anyone keeping track of the stupid game. I quote it a few different ways and with a few companies. Since he is 18, didn't have insurance, has a loan and needs coverage now the rates are all fairly high...like $300/mo high. The mother says she won't pay that and hangs up on me. At this point gently caress her. She calls me back 15 minutes later and says she spoke with the state BMV and they said her insurance should cover any relative that she lets drive cars in her home and asks if that is true. I tell her yes the policies do have that clause in them, BUT, knowing where this is going, I tell her that adding the car to her policy and NOT adding her son to the policy is a form of fraud and in the event he gets in an accident her carrier can deny the claim and take them to court for premiums not charged. She tells me that she believes the BMV representative more than me...you know...the licensed insurance agent that does this day in and day out for the pas 5 years, but she is going to trust the moron at the BMV whose only interaction with insurance is asking you to check a box saying you have it when you renew your license plates.

So, to sum everything up nicely...I put a note in our agency record system for the household, a note in the company system for the policy and cancel the non-owner policy at her request. People like this are the scum that I wish would get caught and have their claim denied so I can say "TOLD YOU SO!"

This a billion times. I deal with this every day. Fraud fraud fraud fraud FRAUD. I get to the point where I won't write named non owners unless I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
As a guy not really in the know, so to speak, could you explain a little more what part is fraud? What I'm getting out of this is that she is trying to get her son covered to drive some car while not paying for it. Is it that she's shifting around the ownership of said car to try to get out of needing a separate policy for her son? Also I'm not really getting why it was bad that he had lived there (presumably with his mother?) for years and she never told her insurance company about it? I can tell you guys are frequently annoyed by things like this but I'm trying to understand what it was that's annoying (so I don't make the same mistake in the future).

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

As a guy not really in the know, so to speak, could you explain a little more what part is fraud? What I'm getting out of this is that she is trying to get her son covered to drive some car while not paying for it. Is it that she's shifting around the ownership of said car to try to get out of needing a separate policy for her son? Also I'm not really getting why it was bad that he had lived there (presumably with his mother?) for years and she never told her insurance company about it? I can tell you guys are frequently annoyed by things like this but I'm trying to understand what it was that's annoying (so I don't make the same mistake in the future).

There are different forms of fraud. Being a licensed agent that worked for State Farm (currently I am an Independent Agent) for a long time I was trained to be an underwriter, inspector, claim rep and fraud investigator.

There is soft fraud:
Saying your kid has good grades but they don't, saying the kid doesn't live in the household but they do, saying you live in a safer neighborhood, or saying you only drive 4 miles to work when you actually drive 24 are examples of soft fraud. They are small details that save YOU the customer premium, but are falsifications. In these cases the COMPANY isn't charging you the correct amount of premium for your ACTUAL use of the vehicle. There are soft fraud examples for homes too, but I will leave this to auto for now.

There is hard fraud:
Hard fraud is a lot easier to understand and see. An easy example is one I saw a lot when first getting into the business. Times are tough so people's cars would go missing right around the new year. Magically those cars would be found just a couple blocks away on fire. People were claiming a vehicle was stolen, destroying the car and collecting the insurance. This is blatant.

Soft fraud is usually something that minorly cheats the system based on small details...usually saves you money.
Hard fraud is blatantly cheating the system to gain a significant financial windfall...usually gets you large sums of money in one transaction.

BOTH are against your insurance policy and can lead to legal ramifications including, but not limited to, being sued for owed premium, denial of claims, cancellation of policy, or jail time/fines.

Edit: Saw I missed one of your questions. In insurance EVERY licensed driver in the household HAS to be listed on the auto policy. This is because at any given time they have the potential to pick up the keys and take that car, or be told to borrow the car for small errands. They have the potential to have a claim in the vehicle they have access to. If you don't want your son on the policy then get him his own policy, but still put him on your policy and EXCLUDE him from coverage. Then you don't pay for his being young, poor driving record, no insurance history, etc. and it is properly done from an insurance stand point. Just be aware that if they are excluded they absolutely have ZERO coverage when operating a vehicle on that policy.

Edit again: Lying about ANYTHING in the below section is considered soft fraud...

Progressive posted:

DRIVER INFORMATION
The following drivers must be listed on the policy; however, they may qualify to be excluded or list only.
› All resident relatives of permit or legal driving age, whether or not they drive a vehicle.
› Any other drivers that operate an insured vehicle on the policy.
This information should be obtained from the prospective insured by asking who lives in the household and who outside of the household drives the listed vehicles. The insured must notify their agent or Progressive of any changes in household members or drivers of insured vehicles over the life of the policy.
Driver/Vehicle Assignment
We do not require you to assign drivers to specific vehicles. We determine an average rating factor for rated drivers and then apply that factor to all vehicles on the policy. If there are more drivers than vehicles on the policy, the highest rated drivers (up to the number of vehicles on the policy) are used. For certain policies with youthful drivers, we will use an alternative driver/vehicle assignment calculation that considers their occasional operator status.
Driver Exclusions
While designating a driver as “excluded” may increase the policy premium, the violation and accident history of the excluded driver does not affect premium.
› You may exclude any driver from the policy except individuals requiring an SR-22 filing (see Filing Information on page 8).
› We will consider unlicensed operators for rating, unless excluded.
› You cannot exclude drivers from specific vehicles on a policy.
› Individuals who have never been licensed or who have a permanently revoked license are unacceptable risks and must be excluded.
List Only
Under certain circumstances you may designate specific household residents as “list only.” While designating a driver as “list only” may increase the policy premium, the violation and accident history of the list only driver does not affect premium.
For Progressive to accept a request to designate a driver as list only, the driver must meet at least one of the following criteria:
› is out of the country; or
› does not have a license and is of minimum license age (permit).
Second Named Insured
Two named insureds may be listed on a policy. The second named insured can be designated by entering “yes” in the Second Named Insured field. The designated individual will be shown as second named insured on the declarations page. The second named insured does not have to be the named insured’s spouse.
Driver Marital Status
Only those drivers who are legally married or deemed married by state law, including legal marriages or civil unions for same-sex couples, will be classified as married. Drivers who are single, widowed, legally separated, or divorced will be classified as single.
TEEN/YOUTHFUL DRIVER
We are pleased to offer incentives designed to help increase your policy retention for households with drivers under the age of 23. Our teen/youthful driver incentives help make Progressive Drive more attractive to your customers with young drivers in the household.
Permit Rating
Drivers who have a learner’s permit, are single, under the age of 19, and are children of the named insured will not be included in the rating of the policy.
Non-rated permit drivers will be rated at renewal when they reach the minimum licensing age for the state.
You or the customer has an obligation to notify us when the driver obtains an unrestricted license to drive.

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 30, 2015

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Ok, so the soft fraud here is that she bought a car for her son then decided to insure it under her policy (and let her son drive it while "covered" under her policy) as opposed to just getting him his own policy.

I was sort of thrown off by the first half about her not informing her insurance that she had an 18 year old son living with her and the whole non-owner policy for the son's grandfather's/roommate's car. Were there elements of soft fraud in strikes one and two?

e: ok your edit clears it up. Thanks for spelling it out :cheers:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

Ok, so the soft fraud here is that she bought a car for her son then decided to insure it under her policy (and let her son drive it while "covered" under her policy) as opposed to just getting him his own policy.

I was sort of thrown off by the first half about her not informing her insurance that she had an 18 year old son living with her and the whole non-owner policy for the son's grandfather's/roommate's car. Were there elements of soft fraud in strikes one and two?

e: ok your edit clears it up. Thanks for spelling it out :cheers:

Well there are a couple instances of fraud, but I think you get it.

Basically she should have him listed on the insurance if he lives there. Strike 1. The car is in his name so he should have his own insurance. Strike 2. She put the car on her insurance, knows he will be driving it, AND didn't put him on her insurance after being told what she is doing is fraud. MOTHER loving STRIKE 3!

For the most part...don't lie to save premium...it is technically fraud.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

EugeneJ posted:

Progressive hits my credit every 6 months. I was young and dumb and didn't monitor my credit before my most recent switch to progressive (5yrs ago) so idk if Allstate, State Farm or eSurance did back then. Times have also changed so it's more likely a carrier would do it now than before.

Wickerman posted:

I'm sure there's a correlation, plus in jurisdictions where insurance cos can use credit to determine rates I'm sure that correlation results in the outcomes you're talking about.
They state to do this in my state, Oregon.

Jastiger posted:

Who is your carrier?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I know people with Allstate/State Farm currently and I have Progressive, and none of them show a rate. It goes into the soft inquiry section, like when your bank checks your credit to make sure you haven't defaulted on anything. (My CU checks annually and has since I opened the account a decade ago). I could post a screenshot tonight - I'm a day late on my next free annual credit report! Got distracted with nerd poo poo last night, lol.

Jastiger posted:

So yeah credit matters.
UW uses a LexisNexis composite report. Not a credit report.

OssiansFolly posted:

There are different forms of fraud. Being a licensed agent that worked for State Farm (currently I am an Independent Agent) for a long time I was trained to be an underwriter, inspector, claim rep and fraud investigator.

There is soft fraud:
Saying your kid has good grades but they don't, saying the kid doesn't live in the household but they do, saying you live in a safer neighborhood, or saying you only drive 4 miles to work when you actually drive 24 are examples of soft fraud. They are small details that save YOU the customer premium, but are falsifications. In these cases the COMPANY isn't charging you the correct amount of premium for your ACTUAL use of the vehicle. There are soft fraud examples for homes too, but I will leave this to auto for now.

There is hard fraud:
Hard fraud is a lot easier to understand and see. An easy example is one I saw a lot when first getting into the business. Times are tough so people's cars would go missing right around the new year. Magically those cars would be found just a couple blocks away on fire. People were claiming a vehicle was stolen, destroying the car and collecting the insurance. This is blatant.

Soft fraud is usually something that minorly cheats the system based on small details...usually saves you money.
Hard fraud is blatantly cheating the system to gain a significant financial windfall...usually gets you large sums of money in one transaction.

BOTH are against your insurance policy and can lead to legal ramifications including, but not limited to, being sued for owed premium, denial of claims, cancellation of policy, or jail time/fines.

Edit: Saw I missed one of your questions. In insurance EVERY licensed driver in the household HAS to be listed on the auto policy. This is because at any given time they have the potential to pick up the keys and take that car, or be told to borrow the car for small errands. They have the potential to have a claim in the vehicle they have access to. If you don't want your son on the policy then get him his own policy, but still put him on your policy and EXCLUDE him from coverage. Then you don't pay for his being young, poor driving record, no insurance history, etc. and it is properly done from an insurance stand point. Just be aware that if they are excluded they absolutely have ZERO coverage when operating a vehicle on that policy.

Edit again: Lying about ANYTHING in the below section is considered soft fraud...
Back when I was young and dumb and lived at home, State Farm required me to be NOT on my parents policy due to my record. It wasn't a named exclusion, UW or someone called my folks, said I needed to be off their policy and to have my own due to records. How does that work...?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

SiGmA_X posted:

Back when I was young and dumb and lived at home, State Farm required me to be NOT on my parents policy due to my record. It wasn't a named exclusion, UW or someone called my folks, said I needed to be off their policy and to have my own due to records. How does that work...?

As someone that worked for SF for a long time...your parents signed something. State Farm doesn't play around with bad drivers so they will remove you from the policy and require a signed exclusion or they will cancel the whole household. They don't joke around with this stuff, but your agent may have just filed the exclusion without telling your parents...agents aren't all that honest in SF.

Having worked for SF and now writing for 11 companies not a single one is OK with having a driver in the household with their own insurance and NOT still being listed in some aspect on the existing household policy. Whether that driver is not rated or excluded is a different discussion, but they ALL want to know Name, DOB, DL# and who the other carrier is and the policy number.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Last November my motorcycle was stolen. It was recovered two days later intact. I didn't report it but I'm sure my insurance company got wind of this. Will it have an effect on the cost of my policy at all?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Phrasing posted:

Last November my motorcycle was stolen. It was recovered two days later intact. I didn't report it but I'm sure my insurance company got wind of this. Will it have an effect on the cost of my policy at all?

Did you tell your insurance? If you didn't then they likely have no idea it happened. We don't run Carfax on your vehicles, so unless you tell us it was stolen we'd have no idea.

The only way a stolen vehicle effects the rates is if there is a lot of damage and the vehicle title gets changed to a Salvaged Vehicle. Then you will run into eligibility and coverage issues.

If there was no real damage that you claimed you should be fine.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

OssiansFolly posted:

As someone that worked for SF for a long time...your parents signed something. State Farm doesn't play around with bad drivers so they will remove you from the policy and require a signed exclusion or they will cancel the whole household. They don't joke around with this stuff, but your agent may have just filed the exclusion without telling your parents...agents aren't all that honest in SF.

Having worked for SF and now writing for 11 companies not a single one is OK with having a driver in the household with their own insurance and NOT still being listed in some aspect on the existing household policy. Whether that driver is not rated or excluded is a different discussion, but they ALL want to know Name, DOB, DL# and who the other carrier is and the policy number.
I bet it was the agent filing the exclusion without telling my folks. They left SF about a year later because the agent was a jackass over my folks making a claim... My folks had been with him since the late 70's, too.

My gf had this happen too (hers was too many accidents vs tickets tho!) and her parents documents clearly stated she wasn't allowed to drive their SF insured vehicles until she was 25.

Ah being young and reckless.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

SiGmA_X posted:

I bet it was the agent filing the exclusion without telling my folks. They left SF about a year later because the agent was a jackass over my folks making a claim... My folks had been with him since the late 70's, too.

My gf had this happen too (hers was too many accidents vs tickets tho!) and her parents documents clearly stated she wasn't allowed to drive their SF insured vehicles until she was 25.

Ah being young and reckless.

Yea SF is all policy count, so agents HATE losing policies. You'd be surprised what they will do to keep a policy. He likely submitted the paperwork and just told your folks you weren't on their anymore. A lot of agents live on the "ignorance is bliss" mentality.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

OssiansFolly posted:

Did you tell your insurance? If you didn't then they likely have no idea it happened. We don't run Carfax on your vehicles, so unless you tell us it was stolen we'd have no idea.

The only way a stolen vehicle effects the rates is if there is a lot of damage and the vehicle title gets changed to a Salvaged Vehicle. Then you will run into eligibility and coverage issues.

If there was no real damage that you claimed you should be fine.

I didn't. There wasn't any damage to it either. Either it was a joy ride or they got spooked and left the bike because I only left about 1.5 ounces of gas in the tank.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Phrasing posted:

I didn't. There wasn't any damage to it either. Either it was a joy ride or they got spooked and left the bike because I only left about 1.5 ounces of gas in the tank.

Then you should be fine. Shouldn't impact your rates if you didn't file a claim and nothing has really changed. Kudos to you for not filing a claim right away and letting the police do their job. Most companies won't do anything for 2 weeks after a vehicle is reported missing anyways to give the police time to locate the vehicle.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I should be more clear. When I say they run credit, I don't mean a CREDIT REPORT. I mean a soft hit. I went over this already, but it was many pages back so I can see where it becomes confusing. My point with the "base line rate" was that having a history of paying bills and having NO black marks in general helps with the credit. Its why carrying a credit card with a $0 balance is better than not having one at all. No news is good news, so long as you're established SOMEWHERE. The problem with insurance is when people hop from carrier to carrier and leave balances behind at the old place. That can get reported.

The correlation part was that people that tend to have trouble with finances in the first place general have lower credit scores so they generally have higher insurance premiums.

It all plays off one another.

The biggest part about fraud is when "my buddy has his own policy and/or doesn't drive my car" and then they share the car. In certain states for my company we HAVE to include everyone in the house AS A DRIVER simply because of the nature of insurance claims. The main state is New York. 4 people to an apartment, 2 cars, you bet your rear end someone is driving someone elses car, license or no, and it happens all the time. This is where the fraud comes in. Room mate gets in an accident doesn't have a license OR insurance? Good bye eligibility. Fraud is bad for everyone.

The other is the Named Non Owners as in OssiansFolly example. It isn't uncommon for people to want to have a Named Non Owners policy simply so they can drive someone elses car that is in the household. That is fraud because they should be listed as a driver on that car rather than a driver with NO car. Often they are cheaper so they are "saving money" but again, once a claim is filed and the company sees the permanent address is with Grandma and Grandma has a daily driver you use every day, you can find yourself being denied out of hand because you lied about your driving habits. This is why Ossians was so upset about it; CLEARLY the kiddo was driving moms car, and they simply just didn't' want to pay for him.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
I had an injury on 8/31/14. This happened while participating in a scuba diving event. I had insurance specifically for diving that claims their coverage is primary. Sadly no hospital will accept them as they aren't a recognized insurer, right? So of course they took my regular health insurance card and charged my copays/deductibles/etc. Lots of money was spent, paid by insurance and partially myself(through deductibles/copays). So, 6 months later, come to find that the "primary" insurance coverer is about to send *me* a check...for a combination of what the insurance company paid and what I paid. Being honest, I called the insurance company and asked "ummm do I have to pay you back this money", their exact words were "we don't bill our customers". So...what do I do with this money? I feel like I *should* owe it(or the parts of it that insurance paid) to someone...but to who?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

lord1234 posted:

I had an injury on 8/31/14. This happened while participating in a scuba diving event. I had insurance specifically for diving that claims their coverage is primary. Sadly no hospital will accept them as they aren't a recognized insurer, right? So of course they took my regular health insurance card and charged my copays/deductibles/etc. Lots of money was spent, paid by insurance and partially myself(through deductibles/copays). So, 6 months later, come to find that the "primary" insurance coverer is about to send *me* a check...for a combination of what the insurance company paid and what I paid. Being honest, I called the insurance company and asked "ummm do I have to pay you back this money", their exact words were "we don't bill our customers". So...what do I do with this money? I feel like I *should* owe it(or the parts of it that insurance paid) to someone...but to who?

This is beyond my pay grade...you need to 3 way call the two carriers and have them make sure everything is on the up and up. Without knowing details that you probably don't even know I doubt any of us could give you a 100% certain answer. We could give you theories and possible scenarios, but that would be irresponsible because if we are wrong you are the one getting hosed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

OssiansFolly posted:

This is beyond my pay grade...you need to 3 way call the two carriers and have them make sure everything is on the up and up. Without knowing details that you probably don't even know I doubt any of us could give you a 100% certain answer. We could give you theories and possible scenarios, but that would be irresponsible because if we are wrong you are the one getting hosed.

Yeah. At the very least, I wouldn't spend that money anytime soon.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah. At the very least, I wouldn't spend that money anytime soon.

Absolutely this! DO NOT SPEND THAT MONEY!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

OssiansFolly posted:

Yeah, that sounds like they're proactively reinsuring the loss, rather than getting subrogated against in a couple of years. Good on them, I suppose; they really should have handled the reimbursement to you and reinsurance to your health carrier separately though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lord1234 posted:

I'm confused. If you had insurance and it was paid.....then its done. Its possible that your insurance company was the one that actually paid and instead of the secondary company paying them back, they are sending you the check instead of the third party.

I see others have already tackled this and I agree. DO NOT SPEND THIS MONEY. A 3 way call is the best way.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I'm confused. If you had insurance and it was paid.....then its done. Its possible that your insurance company was the one that actually paid and instead of the secondary company paying them back, they are sending you the check instead of the third party.

I see others have already tackled this and I agree. DO NOT SPEND THIS MONEY. A 3 way call is the best way.

Well it could be like my recent claim...

My personal health insurance paid all the medical costs for me to see doctors, get meds and go through physical therapy. Well in OH it is a law that car insurance carriers HAVE to pay all those charges directly to me. The reason is because I pay my health insurance premiums so technically they saved money but they do still owe me for having that access to something to pay the bills. I got lump sum checks from Progressive for that accident to cover things the health insurance already paid for.

Does that mean I spent that money? NOPE. It is sitting in my savings account collecting dust until I know for sure Med Mutual isn't gonna come looking for it!

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Back to household driver chat, I actually had an excluded person on my auto policy get rated on the policy.

The reason I know that is because when I moved (within the same zip code) and dropped them, my premium went down ~$70/6mo.

Also, I can confirm that Progressive (in Ohio) performs a soft pull on my credit every six months/renewal.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

OssiansFolly posted:

Absolutely this! DO NOT SPEND THAT MONEY!

Definitely 0 plans to spend this money till I have something in writing saying "this is your money". Right now its only in the "I might owe ~2k" range...but in a month or so it might be closer to "I might owe someone ~50k" range. Would statute of limitations on contractual debt apply to this? In TX that statute is 4 years, so if it sits in my account for 4 years, it's mine? Regardless, I'm not a scumbag, so want to settle this the right way.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea SF is all policy count, so agents HATE losing policies. You'd be surprised what they will do to keep a policy. He likely submitted the paperwork and just told your folks you weren't on their anymore. A lot of agents live on the "ignorance is bliss" mentality.
My gf worked as an admin for an Allstate office last year. Holy hell, there was so much dishonesty going on there. The main agent was pretty legit/good to clients, but some of the producers were scummy as hell. I'm glad I'm anal retentive and read my policy...

lord1234 posted:

I had an auto settlement resulting in my health coverage being reimbursed. The check went through me too. BCBS was very happy to get it from me, otherwise they would have sued me. Weird that the auto insurance company cashed ME out vs BCBS... My lawyer took care of it, and basically summed up that insurance is retarded and he sees it happen a lot.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OssiansFolly posted:

Well it could be like my recent claim...

My personal health insurance paid all the medical costs for me to see doctors, get meds and go through physical therapy. Well in OH it is a law that car insurance carriers HAVE to pay all those charges directly to me. The reason is because I pay my health insurance premiums so technically they saved money but they do still owe me for having that access to something to pay the bills. I got lump sum checks from Progressive for that accident to cover things the health insurance already paid for.

Does that mean I spent that money? NOPE. It is sitting in my savings account collecting dust until I know for sure Med Mutual isn't gonna come looking for it!

Ah interesting!

Over riding message is NOT TO SPEND THE MONEY!

lord1234 posted:

Definitely 0 plans to spend this money till I have something in writing saying "this is your money". Right now its only in the "I might owe ~2k" range...but in a month or so it might be closer to "I might owe someone ~50k" range. Would statute of limitations on contractual debt apply to this? In TX that statute is 4 years, so if it sits in my account for 4 years, it's mine? Regardless, I'm not a scumbag, so want to settle this the right way.

I'd do a three way call and cover your bases first. Be pro active, because they won't.

Wickerman posted:

Back to household driver chat, I actually had an excluded person on my auto policy get rated on the policy.

The reason I know that is because when I moved (within the same zip code) and dropped them, my premium went down ~$70/6mo.

Also, I can confirm that Progressive (in Ohio) performs a soft pull on my credit every six months/renewal.

SOme companies DO charge to exclude drivers. My company does at times in certain states because it often IS an additional risk.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Wickerman posted:

Same zip code, but you still moved...

When you moved did you go from Apartment to Home? Or Home to Apartment? Even if you are still renting those things matter. Also, Progressive knows if you have garage parking vs. street parking based on the address so that may come into play. Also, did you move closer to where you work?

Same zip code can be deceiving, because there are a lot of larger cities and suburbs that have 1 zip code.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
I actually called my insurance company and they said "we don't bill our members"...which I call bullshit on. Is there a specific department I should talk to?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

lord1234 posted:

I actually called my insurance company and they said "we don't bill our members"...which I call bullshit on. Is there a specific department I should talk to?

Subrogation? That would be my first guess...see if they have a subrogation department or a department that handles primary to secondary insurance disputes. Your ultimate goal is to give them what was paid by your primary and figure out WHY that money was coming back. Don't let some moron in a call center tell you "because". Ask them to give you a specific reason IN WRITING why everything is being sent back to you. YOU WANT ITEMIZED LISTS EXPLAINING WHERE EVERY PENNY IS COMING FROM AND WHY. Make sure you take good notes as to who you talked to, what time, and any contact info they give you...just incase.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OssiansFolly posted:

Subrogation? That would be my first guess...see if they have a subrogation department or a department that handles primary to secondary insurance disputes. Your ultimate goal is to give them what was paid by your primary and figure out WHY that money was coming back. Don't let some moron in a call center tell you "because". Ask them to give you a specific reason IN WRITING why everything is being sent back to you. YOU WANT ITEMIZED LISTS EXPLAINING WHERE EVERY PENNY IS COMING FROM AND WHY. Make sure you take good notes as to who you talked to, what time, and any contact info they give you...just incase.

Quoting because this is correct. Companies don't write checks without a paper trail and you should be able to access it if its going to you.

Edit --

Re: Excluding drivers - It doesn't surprise me that rates go up when you exclude drivers. From an insurance companies point of view, they want a house, two cars, 2.5 kids, a nice white picket fence, etc. because those people pay their bills on time. There aren't a lot of variables.

Having your brothers girlfriends friend excluded on the policy because they are renting a bedroom in an inner city with vehicular thefts every other week and a high instance of uninsured motorists is NOT what they want. Its more variables, and more variables means more risk, and more risk means higher premiums to offset that risk.

So yeah, don't be surprised if the premium bumps up based on specific location and/or number of people in the house. Excluding a person is a big deal.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

OssiansFolly posted:

Same zip code, but you still moved...

So I'll basically answer all your questions by saying that I performed the changes on my account in two steps. First, I changed my residential address(has private lot). Progressive charged me $0 to perform that change. Then, I dropped the excluded driver from my policy (had to mail forms in). Then my policy went down $70/6 months and my policy was credited. So I really do believe that it was the excluded driver based on what I have just shared with you. I won't rule out the possibility that you could be right though.