Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Jesto posted:

I want the Harvest Moon experience without all the anime.

Anyone willing to go in for a 40-pack with me on founding an Amish community irl? I'm okay with Ohio but Pennsylvania is also an option.

I already live next to Amish in Ohio so I'm down with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jesto posted:

Anyone willing to go in for a 40-pack with me on founding an Amish community irl? I'm okay with Ohio but Pennsylvania is also an option.

I'll take a piece of that action.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Jesto posted:

Will we be able to go on Nihonspringa and just gorge ourselves on anime for a year before deciding if we really want to commit

Sakespringa??

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Listen, if your cheese isn't up to snuff they will drag you out of lancaster with a rope at the end of a buggy. you better play some more video games first to bone up.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Dunno if this is news but CA confirmed it will be $15

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drunken officeparty posted:

$10 too cheap, he's leaving so much money on the table.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

It'll be easy to convince people to jump in without waiting for a sale at that price. Solid.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
A shame that he's aiming low though. He should at least have a deluxe version with soundtrack + concept images or something, I want to give moooore.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Thor-Stryker posted:

A shame that he's aiming low though. He should at least have a deluxe version with soundtrack + concept images or something, I want to give moooore.

You can always gift a copy to a friend that may not buy otherwise.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Thor-Stryker posted:

He did confirm the soundtrack would be sold on Steam as well. I personally agree, a full-fledge Harvest Moon game for the PC--apparently the first of its class--would probably have the demand to sell for more. Say $30, with a sale to $15 after a bit.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I'd have no hesitation at buying Stardew at $30.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
$10 is my day one price point. $15 is my "wait for a sale" one. Maybe I'm stingy, but while the game looks good, I'm in no hurry to play it. I'll be happy to wait for the multiplayer in a year.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How did this guy fund the game anyway? Was there a kickstarter or is he just independently wealthy enough to solo create a video game over 5 years and not starve to death

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Produced by Chucklefish after a point. But who knows for the rest of it. Might be on the Tarn Adams diet.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Iirc Chucklefish doesn't actually provide fiscal support to the games they publish. Instead they take care of the PR and marketing stuff and provide dev advice in exchange for a relatively (compared to other publishers) tiny piece of the revenue. There was no Kickstarter or preorder either.

So yeah, either this dude's independently wealthy or he evolved to eat code.

Or he has a part time job or something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dijon du jour posted:

If I had to guess, he's in this boat. If you're independently wealthy, you just pay other people to do everything rather than doing anything yourself.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I would say he was a programmer but I don't think part time programming jobs exist? and I don't think many full time programmers want to come home and create a solo video game from scratch. Maybe that's why it took 5 years though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There are lots of part-time contract programming gigs in the world.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Maybe he lives with his parents like the Barkley guys.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
$15 is probably the highest I'd pay without a sale so nice call there. Looking forward to giving it a try soon.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

dijon du jour posted:

Iirc Chucklefish doesn't actually provide fiscal support to the games they publish. Instead they take care of the PR and marketing stuff and provide dev advice in exchange for a relatively (compared to other publishers) tiny piece of the revenue. There was no Kickstarter or preorder either.

So yeah, either this dude's independently wealthy or he evolved to eat code.

Huh, then how is the game releasing actually finished? :v:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Deakul posted:

Huh, then how is the game releasing actually finished? :v:

Giving advice and mandating that the advice be followed are completely separate things.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
This game looks like it's going to own, the way it's shaping up reminds me of Friends of Mineral Town, and I absolutely loved that game. I think $15 is more than reasonable. I just hope the Chucklefish branding doesn't hurt its sales.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I doubt it. It hasn't changed anyone's opinion here and I've seen no one throw a bigger fit about Chucklefish than the people on these boards.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've never even heard of them - I expect most people don't care about publishers if the game looks decent anyway.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It's the Starbound people.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Explain chucklefish and why I'm not supposed to like them

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The game they're developing isn't as good as people expected.

Not to be confused with this game that they're publishing.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Met posted:

The game they're developing isn't as good as people expected.

Not to be confused with this game that they're publishing.
This basically.

I don't think they've had any real hand in the development of Stardew Valley though. And even my disappointment with Starbound felt like more of a failure of knowing what I wanted than something that was their fault. It's just something I feel like noting to myself here.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Starbound is the Terraria In Space game right? The only thing I know about it is that it became a joke about how long it is taking (took?) to come out. Is it out? What's wrong with it

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Starbound is the Terraria In Space game right? The only thing I know about it is that it became a joke about how long it is taking (took?) to come out. Is it out? What's wrong with it
It's biggest problem when I was betaing it a while back was that it was Terraria in space. I just felt like I was playing Terraria with less content. Which is what I expected it to be, it just wasn't as fun as I had hoped to play Different Terraria.

Supposedly a bunch of stuff has been revamped since then though and it's different now or so some of my friends tell me, but I haven't gone back to try it some more.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

It's not out, and every time I try to play it it's somehow a little less fun.

I don't have any issues with chucklefish, mind, I think their Publishing work is pretty good, but I doubt starbound is going to be a good game, and that's a shame.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Explain chucklefish and why I'm not supposed to like them

They have feature creep like whoa and don't really understand how to make a good game and just aggressively try to make it like another.

Chucklefish only came in near the end of Stardew, so it's probably fine.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Chuckefish has published very few games. Have any of those games sucked as a result of Chucklefish's influence beyond pure speculation? If not then I wouldn't let this sort of thing bother me because a team can be a great Publisher even though they suck at development and game design project management.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Risk of Rain (A Good, Complete Game) was published through them. Chucklefish didn't have a say to how the game played beyond "this looks good, we want to sell it on your behalf for a cut!"

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I've heard nothing but good things about Risk of Rain, I'll have to try that sometime.

Have they talked about how the dungeon crawler elements work in Stardew? That seems like the most unique feature.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Chucklefish also published Halfway which is a perfectly good pixelly XCOM joint.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sage Grimm posted:

Risk of Rain (A Good, Complete Game) was published through them. Chucklefish didn't have a say to how the game played beyond "this looks good, we want to sell it on your behalf for a cut!"

Didn't they have a falling-out over the Risk of Rain guys feeling like CF didn't do enough to market them for whatever amount they were receiving? I dunno if it's still gone, but there was a time when RoR didn't have the fish logo on their startup screens.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

LordZoric posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about Risk of Rain, I'll have to try that sometime.

It is a good and fun game, though it is not well optimized and the late game fights tend to get laggy when there's a billion enemies on screen. Definitely worth playing though, I love Risk of Rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
They put out Interstellaria which is a goon made Star Flight kinda game. And also Leannas Inception which is literally proc gen Zelda.
The stuff they support tends to be cute and interesting at least. Halfway was pretty good too but I'm under the impression it didn't do super well?