Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

Are there some good modules for NWN2 that are mostly just hack-and-slash, with little or no plot? I'd like to try out some different classes, but I don't like getting involved in a story with a character I'm not sure about. It doesn't even have to be particularly good, just something I can fight through to get a feel for how a class plays without a plot getting in the way.
Something Vordan's Hero Creator perhaps? Most character-builder-modules have an arena where you can immediately try your build out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Something Vordan's Hero Creator perhaps? Most character-builder-modules have an arena where you can immediately try your build out.

I was thinking more of something like the Infinite Dungeons module for NWN1. Something where I don't have to set up the encounters myself, but I don't have to worry about a story either.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I've just hit the second chapter in HotU and have access to the smith who can enhance weapons. I'm still rocking my Holy Avenger from SoU but I'm wondering if I should hold out for a more potent weapon. My main question is if there are any longswords I can acquire more potent than the Avenger and if it's worth waiting on them to start enhancing. I know there's also a limit to how many enhancements you can pile onto one weapon but don't know the exact amount.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Part of the reason 4d6 style rolling became the standard in a lot of places is because D&D generally seems to lead to people wanting to be the heroes of the story so they want to, you know, be heroic.
I fully agree. I think that players should be allowed to create the character they like to play (provided they're not trying to rules-lawyer their way into playing something broken) and that their character should be able to be effective. If their PC is useless they'll feel bored and frustrated. I was being tongue in cheek and parodying the way that 2e effectively told the players to make a virtue out of necessity with regards to being forced to play a race or class they didn't want to. E.g. here's a quote from the 2e DMG: "For example, if Kirizov has the scores he needs to be a half-elf fighter, does he really need to be a half-elf ranger? Encourage the player to develop a character who always wanted to be a ranger but just never got the chance, or who fancies himself a ranger but is allergic to trees. Encourage role-playing!"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You guys need to branch out and check out some other RPG systems that aren't level-based, if you're into PnP... Fantasy Flight's recent Star Wars update and Dungeon World both spring to mind as being great replacements, there's threads about both in Trad Games.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Fuzz posted:

You guys need to branch out and check out some other RPG systems that aren't level-based, if you're into PnP... Fantasy Flight's recent Star Wars update and Dungeon World both spring to mind as being great replacements, there's threads about both in Trad Games.

I'd honestly rather play Risus or D6 Fantasy than Dungeon World and I really don't get why it gets touted so much as the one true level-less fantasy game besides that it keeps the sillier parts of D&D 3-PF-4 without the mechanical aspects. Fate looks promising, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Agnosticnixie posted:

I'd honestly rather play Risus or D6 Fantasy than Dungeon World and I really don't get why it gets touted so much as the one true level-less fantasy game besides that it keeps the sillier parts of D&D 3-PF-4 without the mechanical aspects. Fate looks promising, though.

I dunno, I just hear it get mentioned constantly by pretty reliable people, never looked at it. I kinda despise most fantasy nowadays because despite the genre literally being called fantasy it's generally the same old tired Tolkien poo poo, with a large chunk of the playerbase clinging to the same 30 or so character archetypes and recycling the same plotlines with palette swaps.

FFG Star Wars is an amazing system, though, if you like scifi. You don't even need to run Star Wars with it, it can just as easily be used for anything else.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Wizards and Clerics (and to a lesser extent Druids) are super powerful and strong in NWN2 for completely different reasons than they are strong in PnP, but they still vastly outclass fighters. A wizard can, for instance, give them selves permanent haste (free attack to make up for lower BAB), raise their AB by like 9 total (making up for lower AB), add like +20 damage to every attack on top of what their magical sword does, can give themselves 30 DR, can make themselves immune to every element, etc etc. Clerics do it even better and are simply absurd. A pure cleric with five buffs that can be persisted at level 15 is stronger than basically anything besides a fighter/FB/WM using scythes, in terms of pure damage.

Actual nuke spells are rather lack luster, though not worthless, the true worth of the classes is how insanely they can buff themselves. This is actually less of a problem in Mask of the Betrayer, partially because spells stop scaling past level 20 (or most do), and partially because rather than druids being the only way to get +10 natural AC, you can find a pendant that gives that much permanently, because item magical level is huge in MotB.

But on every PW ever made, and in most custom campaigns, item magic levels are kept much lower, which means self buffing remains superior.

Edit: Amn was a shitshow of a server, but seemed to realize this, and nerfed cleric, druid, and wizard buffs. Even with nerfs that basically made every buff half as useful, 90% of people at high levels played either clerics or melee wizards.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was about to post about this in a different thread when I happened to notice this one existed. Go figure.

Anyways, two things I was wondering:

I started playing NWN when I was like 12. Is the original campaign worth playing at all? What about Shadows of Undertide?

Entirely unrelatedly is there a way to have more than 2 followers? The only campaign I have completed was Hordes of the Underdark and I plan on playing it again with a different follower but I can't imagine skipping out on Deekin.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The OC from NWN is completely forgettable.

If you like Deekin, you owe it to yourself to play Shadows of Undrentide, as that's the campaign where he's introduced! Hordes is a sequel to Undrentide that was made to be played with the same character that had completed that module first.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Anatharon posted:

I was about to post about this in a different thread when I happened to notice this one existed. Go figure.

Anyways, two things I was wondering:

I started playing NWN when I was like 12. Is the original campaign worth playing at all? What about Shadows of Undertide?

Entirely unrelatedly is there a way to have more than 2 followers? The only campaign I have completed was Hordes of the Underdark and I plan on playing it again with a different follower but I can't imagine skipping out on Deekin.

Hordes has, from what I recall, two, maybe three temporary followers who don't count for your number.

The angel girl in the undead temple, who is a pain in the rear end to keep alive but the payoff to that is having a celestial to back up your two clerics of Eilistrae during the final siege at the end of chapter 2

The other one is the Scrivener, who isn't particularly relevant in any sort of combat scenario but on top of his rebus mini-game can give you a few tidbits of info, some of which is actually relevant

Even the devs admitted the OC was pretty bad.

Also thinking of questionable official campaigns, it's really a pity that NWN2's OC has such poo poo pacing, because Act 2 is really quite amazing, with two set pieces that stand out really hard namely the trial and the haven, although even the weaker parts of act 2 are not particularly bad. Trying to replay BG1 I had the same issue where the first 3/4 of the game is struggling to get to Baldur's Gate; by the time I hit chapter 4, halfway through Cloakwood I just kinda felt like how it feels when you're done with the first orc caves.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

There was a mod I had once where you could set the max number of followers, and even have your own cached characters be the followers, but I can't remember the name of it. I think it was posted in an old thread if you have the time/interest to look around for it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Sworder posted:

There was a mod I had once where you could set the max number of followers, and even have your own cached characters be the followers, but I can't remember the name of it. I think it was posted in an old thread if you have the time/interest to look around for it.

That's very interesting, and these last few posts besides. My biggest complaint about NWN1 was having only one PC that I controlled and being followed by one single berk with bad AI. I really prefer the variety of having a party with diverse skills.

As for the original campaign of NWN1 being tedious... well, I'd say that I have a high tolerance for it. I enjoyed Pools of Radiance. Not the old DOS game, the quasi-tactical, 3rd edition-lite spiritual successor that came out in 2001. That game is nothing but same-y huge maps with tons of the same poo poo over and over, but I liked it.

Anyway, if anyone finds the above mod, please do post it in thread.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Found it!

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/ohs-henchman-system

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Mysteries of Westgate is really starting to frustrate me. I'm getting really tired of being dumped out of a cutscene or dialogue into a close-quarters battle where I'm surrounded. Ossian must really like this trick, since it happened a lot in Darkness over Daggerford too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I really wish NWN would work on my computer without being awfully hitchy and crashy... I think i spent a solid year of my life as a kid playing it every night.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Okay, I need help with a UI problem. Somehow I managed to move my quickcast bar up slightly, and I can't move it back down. I can click and drag it horizontally or further up, but I can't move it back to its original position. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Edit: Never mind. Just had to uninstall and reinstall the UI mod I'd forgotten I was using.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 27, 2015

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Is there a mod for NWN2 that prevents dialogue from advancing unless you click the mouse or something? I don't mean the dialogue where it appears in the upper left corner, I'm talking about when it cuts to the letterboxed view.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 29, 2015

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Well, this thread seems to have died and I doubt I'll get a response, but what the hell...

I'm playing through the Bastard of Kosigan series now. I've just finished the first module, Exile of the West, but I missed some stuff. Specifically, I missed one of the items you get that unlocks dialogue options in the sequel modules, and I missed a quest involving a werewolf. I know I missed the item because the items are called "Placeholder for storyline" and they're numbered 1 through 5. I got 1, 2, 4, and 5, but not 3. I only know about the werewolf quest because the readme talks about it, but it only tells you how to finish the quest, and not how to start it, and I have no idea where to look.

I also had a problem with one of the ending paths:
I tried siding with the witches after I originally went with the prince, and they just stood there and did nothing. The ritual didn't start. Pretty sure it's a bug, but I don't know how to fix it, or if I can fix it.

So, if anyone could help me out, that would be awesome. The series has been pretty fun and interesting so far, and I don't want to miss any of the content.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Can't help you I'm afraid, and this is completely random, but were you ever on the Glorwing/Wilwarin or ALFA persistent worlds? I swear I recognise your username from somewhere, but could just be making it up seeing as I'm on a little nostalgia trip to days of NWN PWs of yore...

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Can't help you I'm afraid, and this is completely random, but were you ever on the Glorwing/Wilwarin or ALFA persistent worlds? I swear I recognise your username from somewhere, but could just be making it up seeing as I'm on a little nostalgia trip to days of NWN PWs of yore...

No, I've never played any kind of NWN multiplayer.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Its been a long time since i played the kosigan series and the translation was very unfinished back then so i cant be of much help, but i remember it being a really good module series, whats the status on the translation now though?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I decided to go back to MotB (in anticipation of Pillars of Eternity, which is looking to be broadly similar in some ways) after a long absence and now I remember why I wasn't constantly playing it - there's got to be some sort of mod script that's broken the soul eater mechanic. Basically, upon the completion of resting, suppress ALWAYS triggers, even when it doesn't actually happen. I rest and if I don't immediately tell my character to move somewhere or do something else, the suppress ability goes off and I can't eat souls from there on out. It doesn't even show up on the action queue, it just happens, in basically the same fashion as how a buffing spell would just go off if you selected it in the middle of resting.

If I do manage to get ahead of the game, pause exactly when resting completes and set the character to move, say, then suppress shows up in the action queue and I can cancel it. However, doing this still causes the daily usage of suppress to be set to 0. I can devour or lay souls to rest but I can't use suppress for that day.

This wouldn't be a huge pain except that it makes hunger somewhat difficult to contend with - about the strongest I can make suppress under this bug is resting with Okku in the party outside the berserker lodge where the badger hangs out. I'd rather not go to console commands since I recall the last time I tried, the only apparent way to fix hunger was to disable the soul eater mechanic then re-enable it and this caused all sorts of problems loving with the powers you acquire after the mechanic initially kicks in.

Anybody have any idea what the problem might be here?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anybody have any idea what the problem might be here?
My best guess is that one of the mods you're using is screwing things up. Check if that's actually the case by seeing if this happens with an empty Override folder. If a mod is the problem, I'd start by seeing if any mod(s) have an on-rest script (should be something like "k_mod_player_rest" if I recall right) and then see if the problem happens without that particular mod in your Override.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 4, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Good call, was a "module scripts" folder in the Plot Fixes area of the omnibus mod that affected both resting and suppression. Of course removing it somehow made soul-eater abilities subject to concentration checks (with my character as a fighter class), so I had to hack my save to pump up that skill by 25 or so.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Plot Fixes strikes again.

Worst thing in the OP.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm not sure why it was there, to be honest. I re-downloaded the omnibus from the OP and that folder wasn't in it, so it's kind of a mystery. According to Windows the game was installed 4 years ago so it's highly possible that the bug was a relic of a time before Annakie had fielded all the bullshit from the Plot Fixes mod.

Nothing worse than a grognard with rudimentary programming skill and time to kill

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The idea that Plot Fixes Fixes is somehow a better alternative to just not installing Plot Fixes at all is the second worst thing in the OP.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Delerion posted:

Its been a long time since i played the kosigan series and the translation was very unfinished back then so i cant be of much help, but i remember it being a really good module series, whats the status on the translation now though?

The translation is actually pretty good, and I think the whole series is translated now (unless there's another episode after Blood and Tears that I don't know about).

I found out how to give myself the missing item via console, but then I discovered an even bigger problem with the second episode, where I was completely unable to load any saved games. I had to play through the entire module without quitting the game. It's relatively short, so playing it in one sitting is doable, but it also forces you to make some big decisions that I didn't feel informed enough to make. Episode 3 had some interesting stuff going on, but when I started episode 4, I realized that despite having the right placeholder items, the game was assuming I made different choices than the ones I actually made. I decided to side with Alexandra and Mordred in episode 2, but they're apparently both dead when I start episode 4. I was already kind of burned out on the series after the problems with episode 2, and now I'm worried that the game is just hosed up, plus I'm not really sure where I want to go with the political stuff in the beginning before I head off for the world-threatening stuff later on. So I'm just going to take a break from that series for now.

I'm playing the Prophet series now, because I heard it had a good plot. It's been okay so far. I'm just a little annoyed about the Forgotten Tomb in chapter 2. You go in there and your companions have a bad feeling about it, but they've said stuff like that before, and I've always been able to pull through. Except then I get to the end and I find that actually, in this particular instance, they really are bringing the hammer down on you. What happens is you get trapped in the last room, and the only way to get out is to perform a ritual to reconstruct a lich. Said ritual involves giving some of your blood, cutting off one of your own fingers, pulling out one of your own teeth, and swallowing a loving scarab so it can attach itself to your heart and feed on your lifeforce. You put all this poo poo together and the lich appears. But you're still not done. Then you have to beg the lich's forgiveness and give him a ton of valuable items to convince him to release you from the tomb. The only other option is to fight him, but since he has your parts in him, any damage he takes, you take as well. I'm a sorcerer with 41 hit points, so that poo poo isn't going to work.

Yes, they give you warnings, but there have been similar warnings before, without such dire consequences. Plus, it ends up feeling like they're punishing me for doing content. It's annoying.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

New problem! When I popped out of Okku's burrow, the Imaskari golem never despawned, and thus I've been running with a silent damage sponge for several hours. I haven't had any trouble with this... until now. All of a sudden I can't recruit party members who've been sent away, they always ask me to send someone else out of the party, even if there are just two CNPCs in it. I can recruit by sending someone out of a three-person party as normal, but the other CNPC doesn't technically leave - their portrait stays in the party list, sans health or ability to select.

I've tried using the console to inflate the party limit, to no avail. I think (though I don't know) that the problem is that the Imaskari golem is taking up a party slot (somewhere in the Wood Man's quest it actually started gaining levels along with the party). Is there some way to banish the golem using the console? Because it can't be spoken to and thus can't be dismissed.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Are there any mods for NWN1 that remake the original campaign (as in, how it was described in the design docs)? Fighting a guerrilla war against invaders sounds pretty cool.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Finished the Prophet series. gently caress me, was it bleak as hell. I haven't been this depressed from a game since Blue Planet: War in Heaven. It was pretty much non-stop misery and hopelessness all the way through. Much of the plot also operates on the old trope of inadvertently fulfilling a prophecy through your attempts to avert it. Some nice cutscenes and scenery, though.

Anyone have some recommendations for modules that are just fun? I feel like I need a palate cleanser.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for modules that are just fun? I feel like I need a palate cleanser.
Perchance to Dream owns, it's about you being a Chosen of Mystra or something and wandering about unleashing horrendously powerful and impressive custom spells on cartoonily evil nerds and retreating to your magic green sky palace to smoke weed whenever you feel like a breather or somehow lose more than a quarter or your health

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Praetorian Mage posted:

Finished the Prophet series. gently caress me, was it bleak as hell. I haven't been this depressed from a game since Blue Planet: War in Heaven. It was pretty much non-stop misery and hopelessness all the way through. Much of the plot also operates on the old trope of inadvertently fulfilling a prophecy through your attempts to avert it. Some nice cutscenes and scenery, though.

Aielund Saga.

Aielund Saga.

Aielund Saga.

There's nothing better for High Fantasy Big drat Heroics. Start at level 1, wind up at the mid-30s by the very end of the series. It is superb.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Perchance to Dream owns, it's about you being a Chosen of Mystra or something and wandering about unleashing horrendously powerful and impressive custom spells on cartoonily evil nerds and retreating to your magic green sky palace to smoke weed whenever you feel like a breather or somehow lose more than a quarter or your health

Looks interesting. I'm a bit put off by having to play a premade wizard character (I prefer sorcerers) and the fact that it sounds more tongue-in-cheek than I'm looking for. Still, I'm intrigued by the idea of custom spells in NWN, which is something I haven't seen other modules do. If you know of some other modules/haks/whatever that add custom spells, I'd be interested in those as well.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Aielund Saga.

Aielund Saga.

Aielund Saga.

There's nothing better for High Fantasy Big drat Heroics. Start at level 1, wind up at the mid-30s by the very end of the series. It is superb.

Already played that one, but that's the tone I'm looking for - serious, but heroic, and doesn't make me want to put a gun in my mouth like Prophet did. Preferably something that doesn't seem to hate spellcasters like the later parts of Aielund do (see the last few pages for my travails as a sorcerer in Act IV). Some good dialogue/roleplaying would be nice, too.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Praetorian Mage posted:

Looks interesting. I'm a bit put off by having to play a premade wizard character (I prefer sorcerers) and the fact that it sounds more tongue-in-cheek than I'm looking for. Still, I'm intrigued by the idea of custom spells in NWN, which is something I haven't seen other modules do. If you know of some other modules/haks/whatever that add custom spells, I'd be interested in those as well.

Already played that one, but that's the tone I'm looking for - serious, but heroic, and doesn't make me want to put a gun in my mouth like Prophet did. Preferably something that doesn't seem to hate spellcasters like the later parts of Aielund do (see the last few pages for my travails as a sorcerer in Act IV). Some good dialogue/roleplaying would be nice, too.

I played it a long time ago, so not sure if it hold up, but Tales of Arterra rips off the Baldur's Gate storyline but executes it better.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I much prefer sorcerers generally but trust me the wizard's shortcomings do not really exist in PtD.

I don't remember the writing super well but I don't recall it being that tongue in cheek in game, that's just how the author writes readmes etc.

Tales of Arterra is still good yeah

E: also Crimson Tides of Tethyr

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

prometheusbound2 posted:

I played it a long time ago, so not sure if it hold up, but Tales of Arterra rips off the Baldur's Gate storyline but executes it better.

I remember liking that one; I really appreciated how xp was linked wholly to quests, rather than kills so you didn't have to scrounge around the map to find monsters to squeeze xp from.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Any one know if there are any good Prestige Class packs for NWN1 other than the PRC? The PRC was just too huge and I didn't like all the new mechanics like psionics, or classes that needed to pick abilities in dialogues after leveling up, or that you had to make the character with an external program. I just want something that only implements those classes that more-or-less work with the engine without any hugely noticeable hackish cludges.

Failing that if there's a good simple Arcane Trickster prestige class mod for NWN1 out there somewhere that would do the trick for now. Seems like something like that must exist but all my attempts to google for one just return discussion of the NWN2 class or tweak mods for the NWN2 class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'm playing Tales of Arterra right now. I haven't been at it long, but I've already gotten some serious loot, including a badass staff, a Ring of Elemental Resistance, and best of all, some boots with both Haste and Freedom on them. There was also a nice bow for my rogue companion and a lot of other stuff I had no use for, but which sold for a ton of gold.

I have a good feeling about this module already. I get giddy whenever I get an item with Haste on it. It's the single most useful buff in my opinion.

• Locked thread