Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

I agree that trespassing is lovely and if anyone did it, then it sucks, but that guy was a supreme douche. He'd drive up and confront anyone who drove by his house on a public road. Then he decided to break federal wildlife laws over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I agree that trespassing is lovely and if anyone did it, then it sucks, but that guy was a supreme douche. He'd drive up and confront anyone who drove by his house on a public road. Then he decided to break federal wildlife laws over it.

Regardless, the bird ends up the victim. A reminder to not report owls, at least not the specifics of the location, and to delay the report, or it turns into a loving circus. The snowys here in Toronto get harassed to death when people report them, so the regular birders keep it on the down low whenever they come across one. Same with the Saw-whets, people will actually remove branches from their roosting tree to expose them for a better shot (and make them food for great horneds and long eareds).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
For anyone interested in bird song, song dialects, and urban wildlife, this is a really nice popular article about white-crowned sparrows and the loss of dialects due to urban noise.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm having trouble identifying a bird I saw in my yard just now. I thought it was a sparrow at first, but it had yellow markings on its front which I don't remember seeing before. Its beak wasn't sparrow-like either, more like a nuthatch or a warbler. It was perched on my suet feeder and had its back to me for the most part, which was a grayish-brown with lighter edges on the wing feathers. It would look around every few seconds though, and the chin and breast were yellow, but with a much lighter band separating them. Any idea what it might have been? I live in Western Oregon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

I'm having trouble identifying a bird I saw in my yard just now. I thought it was a sparrow at first, but it had yellow markings on its front which I don't remember seeing before. Its beak wasn't sparrow-like either, more like a nuthatch or a warbler. It was perched on my suet feeder and had its back to me for the most part, which was a grayish-brown with lighter edges on the wing feathers. It would look around every few seconds though, and the chin and breast were yellow, but with a much lighter band separating them. Any idea what it might have been? I live in Western Oregon.

Possibly a Yellow-rumped Warbler? I've got one that has claimed my suet cake and will chase away anything smaller than a woodpecker. They are really variable in appearance but also quite common in the winter in a lot of places. Look for a yellow rump patch when it flies.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Possibly a Yellow-rumped Warbler? I've got one that has claimed my suet cake and will chase away anything smaller than a woodpecker. They are really variable in appearance but also quite common in the winter in a lot of places. Look for a yellow rump patch when it flies.

Definitely possible. I feel like I would have noticed that patch since it was facing away from me, but there are plenty of pictures where it's almost entirely obscured by the wings. It never turned all the way around either, so it's possible that it just had yellow patches on the side rather than all the way across like I assumed. I'll keep watching, they're pretty common around here apparently, and that suet cake is pretty popular.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
The place where I go to photograph falcons got another news story
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/we-can-watch-it-hunt-on-a-daily-basis-edmonton-birders-get-a-rare-urban-treat

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ That's so cool!

Ok Bird Nerds- get out your binoculars this weekend. It's time for the annual Great Backyard Bird Count. Great chance to do some local birding and contribute to a growing citizen science data set.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Ok Bird Nerds- get out your binoculars this weekend. It's time for the annual Great Backyard Bird Count. Great chance to do some local birding and contribute to a growing citizen science data set.

From Birding Family Circus which is hillarious.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

^^^^ That's so cool!

Gonna do this from my balcony. Yes, I have 50 long tailed ducks and an Iceland gull in my backyard. :colbert:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

hmmm I think this one heard about the Montreal traffic cam snowy owl and wanted some popularity

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/life-video/video-oh-hi-there-gyrfalcon-stumbles-upon-researchers-camera/article28697513/

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

well here's some depressing poo poo...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/13/150000-penguins-killed-after-giant-iceberg-renders-colony-landlocked

quote:

An estimated 150,000 Adelie penguins living in Antarctica have died after an iceberg the size of Rome became grounded near their colony, forcing them to trek 60km to the sea for food.

The penguins of Cape Denison in Commonwealth Bay used to live close to a large body of open water. However, in 2010 a colossal iceberg measuring 2900sq km became trapped in the bay, rendering the colony effectively landlocked.
Penguins suffering from climate change, scientists say
Read more

Penguins seeking food must now waddle 60km to the coast to fish. Over the years, the arduous journey has had a devastating effect on the size of the colony.

Since 2011 the colony of 160,000 penguins has shrunk to just 10,000, according to research carried out by the Climate Change Research Centre at Australia’s University of New South Wales. Scientists predict the colony will be gone in 20 years unless the sea ice breaks up or the giant iceberg, dubbed B09B, is dislodged.

Penguins have been recorded in the area for more than 100 years. But the outlook for the penguins remaining at Cape Denison is dire.

“The arrival of iceberg B09B in Commonwealth Bay, East Antarctica, and subsequent fast ice expansion has dramatically increased the distance Adélie penguins breeding at Cape Denison must travel in search of food,” said the researchers in an article in Antarctic Science.

“The Cape Denison population could be extirpated within 20 years unless B09B relocates or the now perennial fast ice within the bay breaks out”

“This has provided a natural experiment to investigate the impact of iceberg stranding events and sea ice expansion along the East Antarctic coast.”

In contrast, a colony located just 8km from the coast of Commonwealth Bay is thriving, the researchers said.

The iceberg had apparently been floating close to the coast for 20 years before crashing into a glacier and becoming stuck.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I saw this bird in Istanbul and thought it looked tremendously out of place perched in a tree in continental Europe.

Can anyone help me identify this bird? What is it? Where might I find some more info on it?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gstu posted:

I saw this bird in Istanbul and thought it looked tremendously out of place perched in a tree in continental Europe.

Can anyone help me identify this bird? What is it? Where might I find some more info on it?

Possibly ring-necked parakeet, which seems to be establishing in Turkey.

For what it's worth, it's actually not that weird to see parrots in southern Europe. I got to go to southern Spain last year and they were pretty common in the big cities.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gstu posted:

Wait until you go to London and see flocks of them flying around!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
http://www.thenaturalistsnotebook.com/our-blog/migrating-bird-fallout-on-machias-seal-island

Bird fallout at a lighthouse. Look at all the birds!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Man, seeing those photos makes it really hard to live on the west coast :( I've managed to be somewhere good back there for migration the last two years so this year has been painful.

On the plus side, I'm spending a few days cruising up the west coast at the end of this month. Hoping to get some nice pelagic birds.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I just moved to Chicago a few months ago and it finally feels like spring so I did a little birding at a nearby park. I was shocked when a flock of parakeets burst out overhead, but I guess I shouldn't have been since it seems Monk Parakeets are a normal thing in The Windy City. Also I finally got to see some Wood Ducks who were not either hiding in the shadows or flying away at top speed.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Hi Birding goons,

I'm off to the Festival of Birds and needed some binoculars. Any advice on me getting these? http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping-outdoor/windsor-area-on/vintage-binoculars/1156076265

I'm a complete beginner and I wanted to get something super cheap since I'm still unsure if I'll continue birding as a hobbie. Thanks!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bangkero posted:

Hi Birding goons,

I'm off to the Festival of Birds and needed some binoculars. Any advice on me getting these? http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping-outdoor/windsor-area-on/vintage-binoculars/1156076265

I'm a complete beginner and I wanted to get something super cheap since I'm still unsure if I'll continue birding as a hobbie. Thanks!

Binoculars are always useful even if decide not to keep up with birding. But garbage binoculars will make you think all binoculars are like that. Worst case if you don't manage to get anything, stop in at http://www.peleewings.ca, just outside the park. They carry basically everything and are bound to have something cheap and decent in their used stuff.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Linedance posted:

Binoculars are always useful even if decide not to keep up with birding. But garbage binoculars will make you think all binoculars are like that. Worst case if you don't manage to get anything, stop in at http://www.peleewings.ca, just outside the park. They carry basically everything and are bound to have something cheap and decent in their used stuff.
thanks, so you recommend not to grab those ones off kijiji? I thought for $35 it would be worth a chance but perhaps it's better that I try viewing through them first?

My budget is around $60 give or take $20. I definitely want to buy used since the deals are better and technology hasn't really changed over the decades. I would go to Pelee Wings, but it's too far for me - I'll probably just go into the local pawnshop as recommended by the 3rd 4th post.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 19, 2016

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Budgets are budgets, but above $100, and particularly approaching $200 you get into much better quality. I posted this earlier, a bit out of date, but a sense of how much more you are getting with extra dollars .

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Specifically, you want something that is weather sealed for durability, and has FULLY multicoated lenses (not just plain multicoated) for the brightest image. If you're getting roof prisms (the "modern" design that looks like a "H"), you'll want phase coated prisms as well. Otherwise you should get Porro prisms (the "older" design that's a bit fatter) for the best image at budget prices.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bangkero posted:

thanks, so you recommend not to grab those ones off kijiji? I thought for $35 it would be worth a chance but perhaps it's better that I try viewing through them first?

My budget is around $60 give or take $20. I definitely want to buy used since the deals are better and technology hasn't really changed over the decades. I would go to Pelee Wings, but it's too far for me - I'll probably just go into the local pawnshop as recommended by the 3rd 4th post.

I wouldn't get those from kijiji, if only because of their size and associated weight. 10x50 is going to be a bit unwieldy for birding, and though 10x can be fine in open, in a heavily wooded area like Pelee, 8x is going to give you a much wider field of view which will make it much easier to pick up a little warbler in a tree. Porro prism (the style you posted, where the eyepieces are offset from the objective lens) don't always follow the same sizing convention as Roof prism (straight through style), but I would look for something in 8x40 or 8x42. You could probably find some Nikon Aculon (or whatever they were called before they called them Aculon - edit - Action something I think) porro prism bins for cheap and on budget and they won't be terrible.
Just if an old man offers you to look through his swarovskis, just say no.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Thanks goons - I appreciate all the advice. I'll make sure to look for those features when I'm browsing for binoculars.

Budgets are budgets, but above $100, and particularly approaching $200 you get into much better quality. I posted this earlier, a bit out of date, but a sense of how much more you are getting with extra dollars .
Yes, I totally get it and it's been made sufficiently clear by the various past posts. The thing is I'm much more interested in the entire experience of birding as a hobby. I will fully know the limitations of any lovely binoculars and I'm pretty certain that my beginner equipment will not be the sticking point on whether I will actually enjoy this hobby or not. If I do stick with birding after the weekend enjoying the festival, I will definitely look into investing more.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Get the best you can afford, and go from there. I definitely agree with Linedance that 8x40 is better if you are just starting out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I would recommend 8x42's if the budget were a bit higher, but at that price 7x or 8x by 30, 32, 35, etc is going to be negligibly different. Kowa YF30 8x30 or Leupold Yosemite 8x30's (very similar designs) can sometimes be found under $100 new in the US so if you could track down a used/sale pair that would be awesome. They're excellent for the price.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Hello Birder Thread. I have a question. Every morning I hear a bird it sings 3 notes only at a time that sound like the beginning of the childhood song Three blind Mice. I'm in Bountiful Utah and I don't know where to start to find info. I have not been able to see it, only hear it. Thank you in advance!

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

piscesbobbie posted:

Hello Birder Thread. I have a question. Every morning I hear a bird it sings 3 notes only at a time that sound like the beginning of the childhood song Three blind Mice. I'm in Bountiful Utah and I don't know where to start to find info. I have not been able to see it, only hear it. Thank you in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPhSj0l23Qg

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That's what I thought, but golden crowned sparrow would be way out of range for Utah, wouldn't it?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

piscesbobbie posted:

I'm betting on Black-Capped Chickadee:
http://www.xeno-canto.org/305762

There's some variation, but three whistled notes is basically the overall structure of it.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

Linedance posted:

That's what I thought, but golden crowned sparrow would be way out of range for Utah, wouldn't it?

Not according to http://www.utahbirds.org/birdsofutah/ProfilesD-K/GoldenCrownedSparrow.htm I wonder if piscesbobbie lives right in that corner.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Man, seeing those photos makes it really hard to live on the west coast :( I've managed to be somewhere good back there for migration the last two years so this year has been painful.

On the plus side, I'm spending a few days cruising up the west coast at the end of this month. Hoping to get some nice pelagic birds.
You're going on a cruise up the west coast of North America, looking for pelagic birds that might only ever see land in hard-to-reach places like Alaska, you don't get to feel bad about birding.

I went for a walk in Munich's Englisher Gardens today and got all excited about stuff that's hyper-common in large European cities, like the geese here that are just as obnoxious as the Canada geese back home (how many species have YOU been hissed at by?). I have macro pictures of European Coots, if you aren't satisfied by a quick look at extreme range of some never-touches-soil tube-nose I don't know what to tell you.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

You're going on a cruise up the west coast of North America, looking for pelagic birds that might only ever see land in hard-to-reach places like Alaska, you don't get to feel bad about birding.

I went for a walk in Munich's Englisher Gardens today and got all excited about stuff that's hyper-common in large European cities, like the geese here that are just as obnoxious as the Canada geese back home (how many species have YOU been hissed at by?). I have macro pictures of European Coots, if you aren't satisfied by a quick look at extreme range of some never-touches-soil tube-nose I don't know what to tell you.

I wouldn't trade the pelagic trip for Warblers, but I do wish I could manage both.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thing is, you can take a 2 week vacation at the start of May and get all the warblers you can stomach for a year, and then go back to the West coast and enjoy year round birding in a varied, alive landscapes from tidal flats to mountains, instead of a dead frozen hellscape where the trees don't even start budding until late April, just in time for blackfly season.
East coast birding is feast or famine, mostly the latter. West Coast maybe gets less species through in migration, but is steady year round.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Linedance posted:

East coast birding is feast or famine, mostly the latter. West Coast maybe gets less species through in migration, but is steady year round.

What's Florida birding like? I was looking through the Sibley app in anticipation of my move, and it looks like they have just about every invasive imaginable.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tardigrade posted:

What's Florida birding like? I was looking through the Sibley app in anticipation of my move, and it looks like they have just about every invasive imaginable.

Lots of parrots and mynas.... Great for herons and waterbirds, pretty good for raptors, Caribbean vagrants. Some sparrows and warblers winter there but a lot just pass through. Pretty great.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
I just wanted to update the thread and let you all know that I went with ordering off of amazon the Celestron 71346 Outland X 8x42 Binocular (Black). The pawn shops around here, albeit cheaper, didn't have very good bin choices for birding.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I have my windows open in suburban Cincinnati and there's some bird out there periodically singing way louder than the usual songbirds; I would describe it as a fast laughing sort of call, it reminds me of a pileated woodpecker but a bit faster, softer on the attack, and rolling off in pitch towards the end of the song.

Since it's off in someone's back yard I can't really go try to get a look at it, unfortunately, but I was hoping it might sound familiar to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

I have my windows open in suburban Cincinnati and there's some bird out there periodically singing way louder than the usual songbirds; I would describe it as a fast laughing sort of call, it reminds me of a pileated woodpecker but a bit faster, softer on the attack, and rolling off in pitch towards the end of the song.

Since it's off in someone's back yard I can't really go try to get a look at it, unfortunately, but I was hoping it might sound familiar to someone.

Maybe Northern Flicker? Maybe also check Kestral or sharp-shinned/coopers hawks.