Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

I want to see somebody make an fps / brawler genre bender. Put some combos and stylish action in a gun game plz

The Riddick games and the other shooters made by that dev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

notZaar posted:

I want to see somebody make an fps / brawler genre bender. Put some combos and stylish action in a gun game plz

Zero Clash on Steam.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't mean a fps with a melee system I'm talking about having your weapons effect each other depending upon the rhythm and order in which you fire them.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I'm going to own you all in Heretic.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

notZaar posted:

I don't mean a fps with a melee system I'm talking about having your weapons effect each other depending upon the rhythm and order in which you fire them.

dark messiah of might and magic

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

serious norman posted:

I'm going to own you all in Heretic.

heretic is cool

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

was the sequel any good

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

qnqnx posted:

Just coming in to say that I only recently decided to give DoomRL Arsenal + DoomRL Monsters a spin and holy hell this is awesome.

dang this is good poo poo

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Awesome Welles posted:

was the sequel any good

hexen is fun but has a lot of problems and is kind of hard to finish since it feels super dated (iffy level design, awful hub system, lack of weapons)

never played heretic 2 so idk

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Fellis posted:

dang this is good poo poo

If only I wasn't an idiot who can't make heads or tails out of making the DoomRPG launcher work.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

my bony fealty posted:

hexen is fun but has a lot of problems and is kind of hard to finish since it feels super dated (iffy level design, awful hub system, lack of weapons)

never played heretic 2 so idk

Hexen would've been more fun with all of the classes' weapons put on one character, with different ammo. Also, more coherent level design and less switch-hunting across several levels. If Hexen wasn't Hexen, but actually a good game, it would be a good game.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
daikatana's episodes 2 and 3 are a better hexen 2 than hexen 2 is if u play them without partners

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

yeah I should have been clearer, i meant heretic 2, hexen was ok but the big hub world kind of got annoying after a while

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i love hexen and think its the best of the doom engine games, seriously

gently caress all the haters

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

i love hexen and think its the best of the doom engine games, seriously

gently caress all the haters

haha good joke friend

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hexen 2 is pretty fun but jesus it's like "where the gently caress do I go now?" every five minutes

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 4, 2014

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

THE BAR posted:

If only I wasn't an idiot who can't make heads or tails out of making the DoomRPG launcher work.

The mods qnqnx mentioned are for zdoom, you just need to dl the wads and select, drag and drop them onto zdoom.exe to open the with zdoom.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

incorrect

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
but hexen gave us rotating polyobjects and ACS scripting. hexen is the best

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Hexen is like if you made a competent game from a design document but forgot to ever actually play it to see if it was interesting or enjoyable

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Fellis posted:

The mods qnqnx mentioned are for zdoom, you just need to dl the wads and select, drag and drop them onto zdoom.exe to open the with zdoom.

There's an actual DoomRPG mod for Doom2, but I haven't tried it yet because too lazy to switch to gzdoom
Actually, lets do it anyways, DoomRL mods+DoomRPG mod+Oblige

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Linguica posted:

Hexen is like if you made a competent game from a design document but forgot to ever actually play it to see if it was interesting or enjoyable

note how basically every replacement hub made it for it is way better than the base game

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Qnqnx what maps do you play with doomrl mods? I've just been playing standard doom2 but its always pointless after dead simple because you get a huge power boost there and the pit and refueling base are such a loving slog on UV, especially with the monsters wad.

I feel like it needs some short-medium length maps with a few minor secrets each level and slower ramp up in enemy/weapons.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Fellis posted:

Qnqnx what maps do you play with doomrl mods? I've just been playing standard doom2 but its always pointless after dead simple because you get a huge power boost there and the pit and refueling base are such a loving slog on UV, especially with the monsters wad.

I feel like it needs some short-medium length maps with a few minor secrets each level and slower ramp up in enemy/weapons.

Right now I'm using maps generated with Oblige, although it doesn't have much of a ramp up. Unless you count "have some shitload of chaingunners in the first room of the first map and if you survive, there may be a bfg in this box the next room"
Clearly I need to fiddle with the settings more.

I need to check out actual stand alone map packs.

Also the Oblige maps are very samey.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1224 pretty good rpg mod for Hexen, adds new weapons and skills and upgrade trees to the old classes and a sweet hunter class that's way better than the other ones because its melee attacks act like Bayonetta or something where you get different attacks by pausing between inputs. It doesn't fix the maps being a pain in the rear end but better gameplay makes them more tolerable imo

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Fellis posted:

Oh, yes, I know, but there's this mod for GZDoom, called DoomRPG, which plays well with those two mods, presumably.

qnqnx posted:

There's an actual DoomRPG mod for Doom2, but I haven't tried it yet because too lazy to switch to gzdoom
Actually, lets do it anyways, DoomRL mods+DoomRPG mod+Oblige

This.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
there's a bunch of extra settings in doomrpg that will gently caress things up if you don't disable them i think

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

there's a bunch of extra settings in doomrpg that will gently caress things up if you don't disable them i think

I have played with it for like an hour and I still don't know what 3/4 of things do.
The shop is nice for when you really need a specific modpack to complete an assembly, though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Oh, yes, I know, but there's this mod for GZDoom, called DoomRPG, which plays well with those two mods, presumably.

Ah, ok. I didn't realize.

Also I got the nuclear power armor and nuclear power boots set in the Doomrl mod and now I have indestructible 75% protection, 95% bullet resist, 75% melee resist, and 20% fire/plasma resist and ignore lava/acid pits. So it got really dumb because I'm running out of all ammo types slogging through UV monster mod enemies and the only times I dip below 100% health are when i accidentally rocket myself.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Fellis posted:

Ah, ok. I didn't realize.

Also I got the nuclear power armor and nuclear power boots set in the Doomrl mod and now I have indestructible 75% protection, 95% bullet resist, 75% melee resist, and 20% fire/plasma resist and ignore lava/acid pits. So it got really dumb because I'm running out of all ammo types slogging through UV monster mod enemies and the only times I dip below 100% health are when i accidentally rocket myself.

Now pray for a Nuclear Plasma Rifle or Nuclear BFG

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You can all suck my loving dick. Hexen is awesome. Heretic is awesome. Hexen 2 is not bad. That's it.

Go play Hexen with Samsara if you want one class with all the weapons and stop bitching!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

straight jerkers posted:

http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1224 pretty good rpg mod for Hexen, adds new weapons and skills and upgrade trees to the old classes and a sweet hunter class that's way better than the other ones because its melee attacks act like Bayonetta or something where you get different attacks by pausing between inputs. It doesn't fix the maps being a pain in the rear end but better gameplay makes them more tolerable imo

This is actually rather good!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Kazvall posted:

You can all suck my loving dick. Hexen is awesome. Heretic is awesome. Hexen 2 is not bad. That's it.

Go play Hexen with Samsara if you want one class with all the weapons and stop bitching!

i wish there were doom/doom2 style techbase wads that had big hub levels and ACS scripting like hexen. also lots of rotating and sliding polyobjects. hexen owns

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

i wish there were doom/doom2 style techbase wads that had big hub levels and ACS scripting like hexen. also lots of rotating and sliding polyobjects. hexen owns

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/teitenga.zip

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/ge1-sso.zip

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

i didn't like hexen, but loved resurrection of chaos
heretic 2 was okay, too much platforming and switch hunting but still fun

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

qnqnx posted:

DoomRL mods+DoomRPG mod+Oblige

i tried this, and it was fun, but insanely easy to become an invincible death god even on the highest difficulty setting(using the default settings).

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Dwight Evans posted:

i tried this, and it was fun, but insanely easy to become an invincible death god even on the highest difficulty setting(using the default settings).

More monsters = more exp = higher stats = stuff breaks. Until I find a map wad that doesn't break as hard I'll play without DoomRPG (and because I prefer zdoom over gzdoom)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Also, the Revenant's Launcher owns and its upgrades own more

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
pumping luck is the way to go if you want to break the game in two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

any of you fellas familiar with this error while trying to run doomrpg + doomrl on gzdoom through the launcher

• Locked thread