Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Harold was my absolute favorite of all those stories because it actually ended with a dude getting skinned by a scarecrow and not a "and the police came and shot the scarecrow" garbage ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Choco1980 posted:

I would like for someone to set up an interview with the new artist, and then the two of them just stare in silence for several, uncomfortable minutes, until finally, exasperated, the interviewer says "What the poo poo man?!"

Eh, it's not the artist's fault, he did what he was paid to do. Obviously the publisher wanted something more in line with the standards for kid's media. Spooky, but not too spooky. The new art is competently drawn and has Scooby Doo levels of spookiness, which is exactly what he was paid to produce.

The publisher's decision to genericize the book after 30 years is odd. That's the guy who needs a talking too.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Angela Christine posted:

Eh, it's not the artist's fault, he did what he was paid to do. Obviously the publisher wanted something more in line with the standards for kid's media. Spooky, but not too spooky. The new art is competently drawn and has Scooby Doo levels of spookiness, which is exactly what he was paid to produce.

The publisher's decision to genericize the book after 30 years is odd. That's the guy who needs a talking too.

All anyone can really say about the new stuff is that it's competent and innofensive.

The old stuff was haunting.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

mostlygray posted:

The Thing that walked across the field in a tuxedo terrified me until I was in my twenties. I couldn't close my eyes without seeing the drawing. Sure, the stories are lame, but the illustrations still make my blood run cold. I don't want anyone coming for my toes either and heads falling down the chimney aren't cool.

The new illustrations are an abomination. Fortunately, I have the 3 volume collection with the original illustrations so my daughters can have proper nightmares when they are ready.

I was terrified for a good month after reading one of those books that my mom would leave my dad and I if I misbehaved and would leave a new mom with glass eyes and a wooden tail.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Since the "Scary Stories" books are being talked about, does anyone remember the horror story anthology that was for kids that had the story about a family moving into a house that had another family murdered? The twist was the families shadows come alive in the house and kill them and I remember the ending being the kid walking in to his parents room to see his mom being strangled and dad ripped apart. Can't for the life of me remember the book.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Mr Hootington posted:

Since the "Scary Stories" books are being talked about, does anyone remember the horror story anthology that was for kids that had the story about a family moving into a house that had another family murdered? The twist was the families shadows come alive in the house and kill them and I remember the ending being the kid walking in to his parents room to see his mom being strangled and dad ripped apart. Can't for the life of me remember the book.

Maybe it's a repressed memory.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Wow, it's not ringing any bells, but I'd like to know as well. Sounds pretty heavy for a kids horror story.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wow, it's not ringing any bells, but I'd like to know as well. Sounds pretty heavy for a kids horror story.

Yeah it freaked me out as kid. I remember checking it out of my elementary library as a kid along with the other well worn scary stories books they stocked.

chefvinny
Apr 5, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I had the book that contained that story, but I forget it's name. All the other stories in the book had a similar dark ending element - kid enters a smelly shoe contest, and finds the stank of his sneakers dissolved his feet at the end, for example.

It wasn't very good in general, come to think of it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr Hootington posted:

The Book Barn has an identify that story/book thread

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Peztopiary posted:

I think that one also had a story of a kid finding a spooky house with a Frankenstein monster in it that ends with the kid bursting out the door into the sunlight, the monster following him out, dragging him back in, and the line "now it could get out."

Yeah, need to buy this book as soon as I find out the name.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Kids books can be pretty freaky, but teen books are just as bad. I had one with a story about a family being trapped on a country road by a huge snowfall when they're rescued by a suspicious guy. He ends up drugging all but the daughter and she finds her dad being drained of his blood by a horde of vampire bats this guy keeps. They went into great detail about how his skin was going all leathery and dry.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think when I was in gradeschool one of our required readings was a story about a girl who goes to live with some creepy relative that is implied to be like, almost a skeleton or something. Said skeleton keeps not so subtly talking about how its going to rip off her skin and eat it. I don't think the story was actually scary, but it was weird. Weird because I had no idea why this of all things was our required reading.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I read a book when I was like 12 about two siblings that befriend the creepy old man next door that all the other kids think is a evil wizard because he lives in solitude and there are what looks like graves in his garden. Turns out he has a tragic backstory where he used to be a happy family man but his wife and kids died in a car accident and he has been lonely ever since. Except it turns out that the other kids were basically right when he kidnaps the younger kid and buries him alive. The book ends with the police digging up his unmarked grave to rescue him only to find a lifeless corpse. The end.

It's from a series of horror books for kids. Since the name of the series is literally "goosebumps" I thought it was a translation of a Goosebumps book and that Goosebumps books were just really brutal. Years later I found out that it's totally a unrelated series and Goosebumps were actually translated under the name "Shivers"because the other name was already taken.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Feb 4, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
We're talking about scary stories we read as kids now? Sounds good to me.

When I was a kid I got this book from the school library that was an anthology of horror stories by Jane Yolen. One that stuck with me was about a teen babysitter, where the two kids she babysits have a weird ritual where they have to do this little turn around dance, touching the doorknobs along their hallway before going to bed each night. She humors them and is their sitter enough that the ritual becomes muscle memory for her. One night a dude in a gorilla mask breaks into the house, and it's fairly clear he intends on doing terrible things to her, likely sexual. As she's running from him, she automatically does the doorknob touches without thinking, but of course he doesn't. And then the house rather graphically eats the man right in front of her, blob-style.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Choco1980 posted:

When I was a kid I got this book from the school library that was an anthology of horror stories by Jane Yolen. One that stuck with me was about a teen babysitter, where the two kids she babysits have a weird ritual where they have to do this little turn around dance, touching the doorknobs along their hallway before going to bed each night. She humors them and is their sitter enough that the ritual becomes muscle memory for her. One night a dude in a gorilla mask breaks into the house, and it's fairly clear he intends on doing terrible things to her, likely sexual. As she's running from him, she automatically does the doorknob touches without thinking, but of course he doesn't. And then the house rather graphically eats the man right in front of her, blob-style.

Oh gently caress I remember this story. That was a good one too.

Though I don't remember the last part. In my memories he's just chasing her and then suddenly the sound of his footsteps stops, and she looks behind her and there's nobody there.

e: I wanna say she finds the gorilla mask dropped on the floor or something?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mostlygray posted:

The Thing that walked across the field in a tuxedo terrified me until I was in my twenties. I couldn't close my eyes without seeing the drawing. Sure, the stories are lame, but the illustrations still make my blood run cold. I don't want anyone coming for my toes either and heads falling down the chimney aren't cool.

The new illustrations are an abomination. Fortunately, I have the 3 volume collection with the original illustrations so my daughters can have proper nightmares when they are ready.

Oh man, same here - didn't help at the time that I was in 5th grade, and lived in a neighborhood right up the road from a huge farmer's field. Any time I was outside at night I got goosebumps just looking down the road, expecting some half-dead, disheveled corpse to stumble out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Harold was my absolute favorite of all those stories because it actually ended with a dude getting skinned by a scarecrow and not a "and the police came and shot the scarecrow" garbage ending.

gently caress Harold, that story was messed up. "They made a scarecrow to beat up and abuse, so it came alive and flayed a man and nailed his skin to the roof."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Choco1980 posted:

When I was younger we'd do a little cross provincial drive to visit family members every so often. One year I grab a book in the first rest stop because my gameboy runs out of batteries and they didn't have any there. I thought it was a book about ghost stories. Nope! A book about lesser known real serial murderers. So along this trip I'm just reading about people who killed hitch hikers and other people on the road. One night we stop into a lovely motel just as I start a new story about this homeless guy who would stalk people to motels, wait until they went to sleep then break in and murder them. Then sleep in their room and bail the next morning. So I got to stay up all night listening to people walking up and down the hall of the motel hoping that this guy, who they never caught, wasn't still out there somewhere and in the middle of Canada for no reason. Good times.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The scariest Scary Stories image is definitely Oh, Susanna!

The image has nothing to do with the story, but that thing at the top is loving terrifying.

But like Harold, the story is pretty hosed up, too. I can't hear "Oh, Susanna!" without thinking of a headless roommate.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's from a series of horror books for kids. Since the name of the series is literally "goosebumps" I thought it was a translation of a Goosebumps book and that Goosebumps books were just really brutal. Years later I found out that it's totally a unrelated series and Goosebumps were actually translated under the name "Shivers"because the other name was already taken.

Oh gently caress, Shivers! I loved those! My cousin accidently introduced me to them when she left one behind in my mom's car after we brought her home from school----it was the one about the haunted Island with the lighthouse where the creepy record kept wailing 'CAN YOU SWIM? CAN YOU SWIM? CAN YOU SWIM??' backwards. And there was one where any time this kid got angry at a bully something terrible would happen to said bully----things like falling down a climbing rope and busting their skull open, getting severe food poisoning in front of everyone, or getting crushed by a car.

EDIT: ^^^^gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

The scariest Scary Stories image is definitely Oh, Susanna!

The image has nothing to do with the story, but that thing at the top is loving terrifying.

But like Harold, the story is pretty hosed up, too. I can't hear "Oh, Susanna!" without thinking of a headless roommate.

I can't find it, but my favorite illustration was one were a girl is screaming in a bog or something. The story was about a girl who accidentally sick a knife threw her dress and thought the bog witch was holding her there or something.

Edit:
Found it!

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Feb 5, 2016

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
We talkin' about Stephen Gammell?

This one's my favorite/most hated:

From Somebody Fell From Aloft about a shiphand that witnesses a thing that fell from above take a fellow crew member.

And Shivers! I was a huge collector of Goosebumps as a kid, but they were hard to find when I moved overseas. I wound up finding some Shivers at a bookstore and bought them because they looked similar to Goosebumps. The first one I read was The Awful Apple Orchard wherein, if memory serves, two children get crushed by an apple press and spend the book in denial of their own deaths. And then I realized these were not Goosebumps.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Tailypo and the lady with face spiders haunted many of my childhood dreams. drat was that book terrifying.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

gently caress that poo poo :argh: I grew up in a heavily wooded area and that loving tailypo poo poo was a common camp-fire spook story and it's probably the first story to ever scare the poo poo out of me.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Oh gently caress, I saw it just as she went back to her normal expression!

These shivers books sound intense as gently caress, I should see if I can find them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Choco1980 posted:

I would like for someone to set up an interview with the new artist, and then the two of them just stare in silence for several, uncomfortable minutes, until finally, exasperated, the interviewer says "What the poo poo man?!"

Get Gammell and the new artist together, let them critique each others work. I'd pay good money to hear Gammell shout "did you work for loving Hanna-Barbera, you pussy?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

wheatpuppy posted:

Ooh I know this one! Haunted Planet by DJ Arneson.

I don't know if that's the one, but it seems like others remember it in the Book Barn thread.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Hello, Mr. Schwartz? I sent over the finals for that children's book you're writing. I hope the kids enjoy these."

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
My parents got me the 3rd book in the series as a kid, and I remember bringing it to school one day.

My friend was pretty agitated by the artwork. I remember him saying, "Why is everything so hairy??" It's good poo poo.

Diddums
Jan 31, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Oh gently caress I remember this story. That was a good one too.

Though I don't remember the last part. In my memories he's just chasing her and then suddenly the sound of his footsteps stops, and she looks behind her and there's nobody there.

e: I wanna say she finds the gorilla mask dropped on the floor or something?

Yeah, the house swallowed him up and left the mask behind. I know I read this book as a kid but i can't remember what the name of it was, either.

Diddums has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Feb 5, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Saw this posted on r/creepy...

Not incredibly creepy in and of itself but it's an uncanny representation of sleep paralysis. The thing's kind eyes somehow make it worse.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

A year or two back I had sleep paralysis so often that I went from being scared to being annoyed. I never hallucinated the woman/demon/whatever holding me down/standing over me that many people apparently do, though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

A year or two back I had sleep paralysis so often that I went from being scared to being annoyed. I never hallucinated the woman/demon/whatever holding me down/standing over me that many people apparently do, though.

You're lucky, but let's go ahead and stop the sleep paralysis derail right now shall we?

It's even more horrible with practical effects. :stonk:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AnonSpore posted:

Happened once to me last year and I hallucinated that there was a giant spider on my ceiling looking down at me. I realized what was happening though and didn't freak out too bad.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Diddums posted:

Yeah, the house swallowed him up and left the mask behind. I know I read this book as a kid but i can't remember what the name of it was, either.

I'm going to guess this one? http://janeyolen.com/works/things-that-go-bump-in-the-night/ It mentions the 'The Babysitter' story. William Sleator is also in that book, and I remember he had some interesting sci fi stories too. Man, I'd love to get some ebooks of these since they're all out of print :(

If it's not that one, maybe something from this list would ring a bell: http://janeyolen.com/works/category/anthologies/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know if that's the one, but it seems like others remember it in the Book Barn thread.

It is not. I found a rundown of the book and what each story was. We will never know. :iiam:

Edit: The best Gooosebumps knockoffs where the Strange Matter series.

They were cheesy good times. They ended up doing a tie in series called strange forces that had kids from each book join up to fight monsters. The kids that survived that is.

They are on audible! I'm buying them all.

Mr Hootington has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Feb 5, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

Happens to me at least once a week and at this point it's just like "oh my god gently caress off." The first couple of times were horrifying though, and i learned real fast to just keep my eyes shut until i can move again.

A bunch of you are probably familiar with a specific pair of Yuko Tatsushima paintings.

it's pretty impossible to find high resolution images of her art work, since most of it you find online is sourced from her website that hasn't been updated since 2009 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wedemeyer posted:

I'm going to guess this one? http://janeyolen.com/works/things-that-go-bump-in-the-night/ It mentions the 'The Babysitter' story. William Sleator is also in that book, and I remember he had some interesting sci fi stories too. Man, I'd love to get some ebooks of these since they're all out of print :(

If it's not that one, maybe something from this list would ring a bell: http://janeyolen.com/works/category/anthologies/

Yeah, that's the book. Found it in my school library. That image of the leaves forming a menacing clawed hand stuck with me too.

I think I remember another story from it about this chubby teen who decides to diet and exercise and really lose weight, and his favorite cereal is some frosted chocolate mess with a mascot that was like a sugar loaded version of the green corn flakes rooster. One day after lots of hard work and payoff, he slips and buys a box of it from the grocery store. That night in the kitchen, the rooster comes alive and attacks him painfully grabbing his stomach and screaming mad at him, force feeding him the cereal. He thinks in the morning it all was a nightmare, but then sees his bloated, scratch-covered and bleeding stomach...

That's the kind of story that would give kids complexes...