Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

StarMinstrel posted:

I get what you mean, but at the same time, simulations of physics can be the biggest ressource intensive thing on a graphic or processor card (depending on where they draw their ressource from). I saw some amazing stuff a few years ago from some cards entirely dedicated to physics, back when tech engineers where dreaming that computers would have a cpu, a graphic card and a physic card. But yeah... still waiting (hoping) for that.

This is only true for physical interactions. Its actually more intensive to decellerate an object than to keep it in motion because keeping it in motion means that onces its been impacted, its six vectors (three rotational, three delta) remain constant.

Yeah I mean I guess it makes mining a bit easier but gently caress that, give me newtonian cargo so I can slam someone's cargo into a sun at full boost and watch them chase after it :getin: . Instead of saying it makes mining less obnoxious, give us tools (drones, tractor beams etc) to make mining better as opposed to making all other forms of newtonian interactions worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Do some black holes have a visible accretion disk? I know Sagittarius A* is mired in a massive dust cloud, but what about the smaller ones?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I don't particularly see it as "whining" if you have a problem with a decent way to make money being nerfed (supply severely limited) then nerfed again (supply now bound to a magical arbitrary invisible number per account). It already took a lot of time waiting around to get a cargo hold full of Rares. Now it's not even a viable activity.

Then again a lot of players are stuck in a typical MMO mindset of powergaming to huge money which isn't really a component of this game.

From what I understood the idea is to give newer, poorer players a good way of catching up. What seemed to be happening instead was veteran players becoming space billionaires very quick, with very little effort.
It`s really nice and well that we are seeing a resurgence of old-school game genres with this game and others, but like it or not this is 2014 and people have other expectations when it comes to gaming. There`s no way to avoid that.

Beside that, I think it`s human nature. The moment you get multiplayer and player interaction you you get powergaming min/maxing and etc...

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Bloody Pom posted:

Do some black holes have a visible accretion disk? I know Sagittarius A* is mired in a massive dust cloud, but what about the smaller ones?

Black holes with accretion disks haven't been implemented yet but are on the to do list.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

GlyphGryph posted:

I've found when this happens it's often a delay. If I check it again a few minutes later it shows up. I think it's a bug with the net connection not updating things properly.
It never showed up in the half hour after that and then I died, so I guess that's that.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Elenkis posted:

Black holes with accretion disks haven't been implemented yet but are on the to do list.

How awesome would it be to fuel-scoop an accretion disk?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Speaking of fuel scoops, do higher grades/classes of fuel scoops allow you to scoop at a higher maximum rate, or is it just differences in weight/power draw?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Speaking of fuel scoops, do higher grades/classes of fuel scoops allow you to scoop at a higher maximum rate, or is it just differences in weight/power draw?

Yes, higher maximum rate.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Kenshin posted:

Yes, higher maximum rate.

From what i've seen of the progression, you can practically see the star shrink before your eyes with a top size top rated fuelscoop.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Stanko-Prussian posted:

From what i've seen of the progression, you can practically see the star shrink before your eyes with a top size top rated fuelscoop.

My god, the fuel scoop is literally full of stars!

Also is there any reason not to just get as close as possible and just sit idle? Or do I get a benefit to flying quickly along the surface of the star?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Knifegrab posted:

Also is there any reason not to just get as close as possible and just sit idle? Or do I get a benefit to flying quickly along the surface of the star?

There is no idling in supercruise, "idle" is still so insanely fast that there is no difference.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

New ssd new GPU..... was about time to reinstall the drat OS. Unfortunately importing the old Frontier folder didn't work. Do you know if there's a repair tool? Is it possible to pause the download or I lose everything when reboting/restarting the launcher?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Idle: Instant submission to interdictions, right? That might be one.

Outside of that I can't think of one.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Frank Horrigan posted:

Inhabited space taken all together accounts for such a shockingly small part of the galaxy that you can estimate using Earth distances and be accurate to around 100 ly most of the time.

Is there no inhabited space if you venture out of the starting area?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

GlyphGryph posted:

There is no idling in supercruise, "idle" is still so insanely fast that there is no difference.

Minimum speed in supercruise is 30 km/s. It would take nearly 3 hours to travel ONE light second at that speed.

Makes a hell of a difference if you ask me.

Knightmare posted:

Inhabited space is a roughly cylinder shaped portion of the galaxy containing a few thousand systems. There are around 400,000,000,000 stars in the galaxy, so inhabited space is a very small portion of that. Once you get out a couple hundred light years, civilization vanishes completely.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Knightmare posted:

On the scale of us jumping around in our little pewpew ships; inhabited space is huge.

On the scale of the rest of the galaxy; inhabited space is absolutely tiny.

People jumping out to the closest black holes or giant stars are doing most of their traveling through uninhabited space, though there are random NPC spawns throughout.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

You're right but the minimum speed in supercruise is effectively a stand still from a solar system perspective.

e:f,b.

Knightmare posted:

The galaxy contains 400 billion systems. That is not an exaggeration.

Inhabited space takes up about 0.05% of the galaxy which is still... 1 billion systems? That can't be right.

Virginia Blend
Jan 5, 2010
Wake Scanners and Limpet's. Someone educate me.

After I scan a wake do I just go into my navigation and look for the same system/planet the wake scanner found? Will this actually let me follow NPC's or is it mainly to follow other players?

Limpet's I just have no idea.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BaconPigbutt posted:

What seemed to be happening instead was veteran players becoming space billionaires very quick, with very little effort.

Bullshit. I was making about a million credits from an 80 ton cargo hold that took several hours to fill up. Someone with more playtime could make way more than that mining in less time, but this method was good for me because it let me Bounty Hunt and explore waiting for the supply to regen. In order to make a billion credits this way someone would have to play for months and months (do 1,000 runs). But even if they did, so what? What's so bad about someone making tons of money? Do they ruin the simulation by being able to actually kit out a bigger ship than can be taken out by 2 players with ships that cost 1/1000th of the expensive one?

All this poo poo does is make the game more tedious, by adding rules to a "simulation" that make no sense whatsoever.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Virginia Blend posted:

After I scan a wake do I just go into my navigation and look for the same system/planet the wake scanner found? Will this actually let me follow NPC's or is it mainly to follow other players?

Limpets are essentially seeking missiles that will force the target to dump a few tons of cargo IF the limpet hits their cargo hatch. They're a pain in the rear end to aim properly.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Virginia Blend posted:

Scan the wake, then with it still targetted, enable your FSD and you will jump to the target system. That is for high energy wakes which require a FSD scanner. For low energy wakes, just target it and drop out of SC like you would any other SC target.

Limpets, target an enemy player, select their cargo hatch subsystem, have a fire group bound to the limpet, and fire.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Bullshit. I was making about a million credits from an 80 ton cargo hold that took several hours to fill up. Someone with more playtime could make way more than that mining in less time,

You have not tried mining I take it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there something about small outposts being build overtime if a system close to civilization is explored for the first time? Or is that a future feature still in planning mode?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

You have not tried mining I take it.

Mining, while time consuming, isn't really that hard. Most people bitch about having to scoop and process the chunks but I had it down to a science where I would mine an asteroid dry and then scoop everything around it in about 3 minutes. (5-9 minutes for the entire process pending I don't have to chase chunks due to bumping).

It still had a decent return though. 15-20 minutes of mining in a pristine metallic ring/field would net me between 30-70k.

ninjaedit: it's just boring as gently caress unless you've got some NPCs to bounce off of.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Help.

I was playing last night for the first time and I can move about and dock but for the life of me I can't do a mission.

I sense I'm missing something fundamental, I first tried a mission to pick up a message canister, went to the star (there was nothing else in system) and found nothing but some ships. Next I tried hunting pirates, went to the star (again nothing else in system) but nothing once I dropped out of superluminal and in superluminal I could only find player ships.

What am I missing here?

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Libluini posted:

Wasn't there something about small outposts being build overtime if a system close to civilization is explored for the first time? Or is that a future feature still in planning mode?

The developer posts I read a while ago seemed to suggest that the stuff with stations popping up in new areas would be handled directly by the developers based on what they see the players doing, not something that happens automatically in the background.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Bullshit. I was making about a million credits from an 80 ton cargo hold that took several hours to fill up. Someone with more playtime could make way more than that mining in less time, but this method was good for me because it let me Bounty Hunt and explore waiting for the supply to regen. In order to make a billion credits this way someone would have to play for months and months (do 1,000 runs). But even if they did, so what? What's so bad about someone making tons of money? Do they ruin the simulation by being able to actually kit out a bigger ship than can be taken out by 2 players with ships that cost 1/1000th of the expensive one?

All this poo poo does is make the game more tedious, by adding rules to a "simulation" that make no sense whatsoever.

You can also just fart around and do whatever instead of fixating on an incredibly tedious but technically efficient money grind. I'm still in a Sidewinder after wiping my save on the 16th, and I'm having way more fun just doing whatever than I was when I was hardcore trucking before.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Not sure if this has been posted already, but Frontier is offering cash money to the first people to get to Elite status. You have to start from a fresh save and be in Open Play mode the whole time. It's £1,000 for each of the three Elite categories and £10,000 for the first to get the Elite trifecta, but if you claim one of the £1,000 prizes, you're ineligible for the £10,000. I suppose it's one way to encourage people to use Open Play mode!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

LCL-Dead posted:

On the scale of us jumping around in our little pewpew ships; inhabited space is huge.

On the scale of the rest of the galaxy; inhabited space is absolutely tiny.

People jumping out to the closest black holes or giant stars are doing most of their traveling through uninhabited space, though there are random NPC spawns throughout.

Ahh gotcha, thanks. I understand the "space is big" thing, I just wasn't sure on what scale the inhabited systems were and if there would be random space stations out in other parts of the galaxy. Random NPCs sound good to break up the monotony of exploration.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Unzip and Attack posted:

Some people will never understand that the words tedious. grind, efficient, and fun do not have direct relationships and are always subjective.

Rare items needed every nerf they've gotten. Making 16M-20M an hour in profit was broken.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I've never even trade a rare item. I'm guess I missed out on the boat to riches but I have more fun flying around randomly and shooting dudes for rewards and their stuffs.

So with the real money rewards, how long until someone games the Elite status for shooting dudes by killing a friend over and over? :v:

imperialparadox fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 18, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

imperialparadox posted:

I've never even trade a rare item. I'm just I missed out on the boat to riches but I have more fun flying around randomly and shooting dudes for rewards and their stuffs.

Me too bro. My buddies are all like "Lets do this rare trade run, people are saying its the most efficient way to get creds." And I'm all like "Naw too busy floating with FA off in spirals around a neutron star. Oops, I blew up." Life is good. Shields are for suckers. 420 risk death everday.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Rotation Confusion posted:

Idling (really idling or multitasking) to fill up on one rare
Filling up a large cargo hold on rares by orbiting through a small group of rare stations nearby each other.

So much for stocking up at Leesti. Honestly Rares are probably too profitable, for basically sitting around doing nothing and then jumping 160LYs. It seems ideal for Hauler/Cobra level trade, but bulk commodity trade should really win out after a T6, but it just doesn't right now.

Shame about the player stock limit though, bundle that with a the phone app that lets you buy from the phone away from your PC, and it would have been a nice way for people to prepare for a big run when you're away from the game for a while.

BlueGrot posted:

So I'm trying to return from the Orion nebula. Every third system crashes me.

So much for the Exploration Server fixes I guess.

Arach fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 18, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ernie Muppari posted:

You can also just fart around and do whatever instead of fixating on an incredibly tedious but technically efficient money grind. I'm still in a Sidewinder after wiping my save on the 16th, and I'm having way more fun just doing whatever than I was when I was hardcore trucking before.

The 1.01 patch that fixed bounties really fixed the last major problem with the "just fly around shooting poo poo" approach to fun.

I've really enjoyed kitting out my Eagle, and there are some things I want to do that absolutely require cash - I want to do pirating for example, and I'm still not fully kitted out for that though I will hopefully get close enough to start trying it tonight - but at least for combat missions the cash is enough, and "enough" is really all it needs to be. I'm no longer losing money on every encounter, or making everyone hate me by claiming bounties, and that's what matters.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Libluini posted:

I'm hoping that scanned Earth-like systems would have priority in the building of outposts. It would be kinda awesome to see little trails of outposts maybe every 50ly or so extending out into uninhabited space slowly.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shipon posted:

I'm hoping that scanned Earth-like systems would have priority in the building of outposts. It would be kinda awesome to see little trails of outposts maybe every 50ly or so extending out into uninhabited space slowly.

They are worth the most as scan data, so it would make sense that this would happen.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

LCL-Dead posted:

Idle: Instant submission to interdictions, right? That might be one.

Outside of that I can't think of one.

It's not instant, if you get interdicted at "0" (30KM/s) you have to be on 0 for 3 seconds before you submit, so if you're sunbathing and you get lassoed you can just throttle up and shake em off (and by shake em off i mean careen around wildly until you clip the star's gravity well and drop out)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

The biggest problem with trade goods (not rare) is still that you can't just space-google to find a station with say, liquor (which is, like beer, stupid rare for how not rare it should be), in stock right now within X LY from your current location.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Stanko-Prussian posted:

It's not instant, if you get interdicted at "0" (30KM/s) you have to be on 0 for 3 seconds before you submit, so if you're sunbathing and you get lassoed you can just throttle up and shake em off (and by shake em off i mean careen around wildly until you clip the star's gravity well and drop out)

I'm fairly certain this is untrue. At a complete throttle close in SC you will be interdicted immediately.

Ernie Muppari posted:

The biggest problem with trade goods (not rare) is still that you can't just space-google to find a station with say, liquor (which is, like beer, stupid rare for how not rare it should be), in stock right now within X LY from your current location.

You can you just need to buy a bunch of trade data around you.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Drake_263 posted:

Tossed you an email - that's gmail.com, right? I'm flattered to hear you think they're worth publishing, and very much interested in getting them out to a bigger audience!

Yep, that's right, but I haven't gotten an email. :( Typo maybe?

Really excited to log in today and see if I actually spot other human beings that I haven't manually added to my friends list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

You can you just need to buy a bunch of trade data around you.

That...that doesn't do the thing I was saying should be a thing.

• Locked thread