Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kazr
Jan 28, 2005

it's lazy vacationing, with 1500 bucks per week you can eat and drink yourself to death and still stay in a reasonable hotel AND do a million other things

like a cruise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

kazr posted:

it's lazy vacationing, with 1500 bucks per week you can eat and drink yourself to death and still stay in a reasonable hotel AND do a million other things

like a cruise

That's kind of the point.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm the last person to care if something is tacky or not. Lazy vacationing where you drink yourself to death Leaving Las Vegas style sounds like a fine way to spend a week. Are there scuba and other things included? Aztec ruins?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Panfilo posted:

That's kind of the point.

not knocking it, i'd love to go on a cruise and do nothing but eat awesome food and drink all day without having to worry about handing over a credit card each time but it is what it is

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
There's excursions you can take. They're probably cheaper than going through a cruise. Forgot to mention, $1500 included round trip airfare for two people. Its easy to budget for, and you can spend a week in a drunken stupor by the beach the whole time. The Australian students on holiday seem to have a good time in them.

I always thought going on a cruise was a suburban mom thing. My mom went on one last year and the photos looked like a live action version of the humans in Wall-E.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

ok with airfare that's pretty cool

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The issue isn't taking a relaxing vacation in a tropical area and getting smashed on the beach, it's when that is all that you do. There's a huge number of people who go to beach resorts specifically curated to match the tastes they had at home (just with more pineapple) and then figure that they have traveled the world (because Jamaica is "exotic") enough for one lifetime and never leave their neighborhoods again.

These are typically the same people going "Why should I learn a second language? Everyone is going to learn English eventually anyways"

E. Yeah if you go vacation in SE Asia then it is ridulously cheap for what you get out of it, which I assume is what you mean by Australian tourism destinations

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Yeah forgot to mention that part initially lol. Suburban moms will tout a cruise as being a better deal because you get to visit different places, but your room tends to be tiny for what you pay, its constantly crowded as gently caress because you're stuck with 2,500 other suburban moms, get nickel and dimed to hell and back over every little thing, and have limited time in ports. I'm trying to convince my suburban mom to stay in an all-inclusive next time because its less crowded and she likes to go somewhere and do a million and one things, so I think it would be a better fit for her.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The issue isn't taking a relaxing vacation in a tropical area and getting smashed on the beach, it's when that is all that you do. There's a huge number of people who go to beach resorts specifically curated to match the tastes they had at home (just with more pineapple) and then figure that they have traveled the world (because Jamaica is "exotic") enough for one lifetime and never leave their neighborhoods again.

These are typically the same people going "Why should I learn a second language? Everyone is going to learn English eventually anyways"

E. Yeah if you go vacation in SE Asia then it is ridulously cheap for what you get out of it, which I assume is what you mean by Australian tourism destinations

So? People can spend their holiday time as they wish. There is in fact no issue here.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

opus111 posted:

So? People can spend their holiday time as they wish. There is in fact no issue here.

There's nothing really wrong with pumpkin spice lattes or North Face jackets either. But making fun of basic poo poo is kind of why this thread exists.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

This thread exists because it's a honeypot for goons with cringe-worthy personal problems.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

This thread exists because most goons have realised that the girls theyre banging are basically the earliest memories they have of their mums, and so they are lashing out, angry and confused. This is why the white man must date outside of his creed.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

opus111 posted:

This thread exists because most goons have realised that the girls theyre banging are basically the earliest memories they have of their mums, and so they are lashing out, angry and confused. This is why the white man must date outside of his creed.
you ramble a lot

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Panfilo posted:

I always thought going on a cruise was a suburban mom thing. My mom went on one last year and the photos looked like a live action version of the humans in Wall-E.

Wasn't there a thread poking fun at cruises and the people who go on them

Did I dream it

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

The Kingfish posted:

This thread exists because it's a honeypot for goons with cringe-worthy personal problems.

youre a piece of poo poo and the reason GBS sucks nope can't make fun of dumb white lady poo poo the joke is on :siren: goons :siren:

have fun in your dead gay forum retard

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oof, right in the feelings!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pistol_Pete posted:

Wasn't there a thread poking fun at cruises and the people who go on them

Did I dream it
i dunno but david foster wallace wrote a really good subtle scathing article on cruise ships and it seems to line up with what i've heard.

http://harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/HarpersMagazine-1996-01-0007859.pdf

don't go on a cruise

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I live in ultra yuppie hell and this thread is still hyperbolic haha

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Xaris posted:

i dunno but david foster wallace wrote a really good subtle scathing article on cruise ships and it seems to line up with what i've heard.

http://harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/HarpersMagazine-1996-01-0007859.pdf

don't go on a cruise

taking advice from some weirdo aspie who owned himself. Yes this seems like sound reasoning

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Bastard Tetris posted:

I live in ultra yuppie hell and this thread is still hyperbolic haha

hmm yeah lets have a thread like this where all the posts are "i'ma nice friendly white lady deep down and it's hard to make fun of someone as agreeable as me" funny stuf :five: :five: :five:

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Listens pap roach to understand my gay son

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

kazr posted:

like a cruise

A negroe offered me 40 dollars for a marijuana joint right on the beach in our Sandals resort??? IS THAT LEGAL??
*is visibly flustered*

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

mdm posted:

youre a piece of poo poo and the reason GBS sucks nope can't make fun of dumb white lady poo poo the joke is on :siren: goons :siren:

GBS sucks bcUse we have 20+ page threads of uninteresting shitposts. you and can eat my whole rear end in a top hat, bud

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Eat it all. Eat all that rear end in a top hat.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
*only buys screw top wines because corks are too much work*

This thread has taught me I may have more in common with my neighbors than I thought. No boxed wines though, I do have some standards (not really).

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

mdm posted:

mdm's been possessed by franco's ghost :ohdear:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Cruises n resort vacations are hedonistic & relaxing, you can go on a mission trip if you're looking for a spiritual awakening

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
^^^^^
This guy gets it

I'm not going to Mexico to get culture man, I just want some sunshine and cheap beer without paying 200 bucks for a hotel. I am actually in agreement with SubMoms in this respect

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Also don't forget the pool bars where everybody spends twelve hours slamming well drinks yet nobody gets up to go to the bathroom because they're too busy marinating in their own boullion to bother to leave the good spot at the bar. Even the yellow jackets are too shitfaced to bother stinging anybody.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If I'm going on a trip to get culture, I'm not going to somewhere that didn't have roads until a few weeks ago and those are only for smuggling coke to lovely college kids at USC.

If I'm going to Latin America it is for a mixture of these reasons

It's cheap

the women are cheap

the weather is nice

and I can go somewhere that isn't at all like actual Latin America aside from having legit tacos.

I've been to Actual mexico and Vacation Mexico, Vacation Mexico is the better Mexico

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

GBS sucks bcUse we have 20+ page threads of uninteresting shitposts. you and can eat my whole rear end in a top hat, bud
and yet you're reading/posting in it hmmmmm

Edit: hold on imma go post in D&D about how bad & stupid they are

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

My mom has a ton of gargoyle statues and pictures. Are gargoyles a mom thing?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
all the resorts ive ever been to have just been kinda sad and terribly mediocre wannabe recreations of western luxury/amenities :shrug:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Blockade posted:

My mom has a ton of gargoyle statues and pictures. Are gargoyles a mom thing?

No, your mom is probably a batman.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

*son's gay friend who was a state-renowned clarinet player commits suicide; community quietly moves on*

*some football player dies during a game from a head injury; the community raises millions of dollars to renovate the football field and establish a charity fund*

I feel bad for my mom for having to live there for as long as she did

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
So are goons in this thread who hate cruises and resorts trying to say that when they go to Mexico and Jamaica and Aruba that they stay in a hotel above a thrift shop in the outskirts of these places?

I'd rather not get kidnapped by banditos and have my head chopped off by an Aruban predator, thanks.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

SciFiDownBeat posted:

*son's gay friend who was a state-renowned clarinet player commits suicide; community quietly moves on*

*some football player dies during a game from a head injury; the community raises millions of dollars to renovate the football field and establish a charity fund*

I feel bad for my mom for having to live there for as long as she did

why did your friend own himself?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Booblord Zagats posted:

I've been to Actual mexico and Vacation Mexico, Vacation Mexico is the better Mexico

Sad, but true.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

*meets Chinese family down the road that has been living in the USA for generations*

*bows while shaking their hand*

E. Also, vacationing in resorts is fine and cool. Just don't say you are "cultured" and "world-traveled" like half the people on my facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Melmac posted:

So are goons in this thread who hate cruises and resorts trying to say that when they go to Mexico and Jamaica and Aruba that they stay in a hotel above a thrift shop in the outskirts of these places?

I'd rather not get kidnapped by banditos and have my head chopped off by an Aruban predator, thanks.

mexico and jamaica are the countries ive been to and stayed in resorts. my future plan is to just not go to countries where resorts are the predominate "safe" place for american tourists to stay

edit: ive heard mexico city is nice if you can speak some spanish (so that you can both attempt to fit in but also not get taken advantage of) even if youre a gringo though. dunno much about jamaica.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 14, 2016

• Locked thread