Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What's the rest of your gear, and what are you riding?

Pretty much any well built helmet from a reputable mfr will allow glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What's the rest of your gear, and what are you riding?

Pretty much any well built helmet from a reputable mfr will allow glasses.

Iron Workers pants with knee plates and butt kevlar, Black Brand coat with back, shoulder, and elbow plates, some Mechanix m-pact gloves (not motorcycle specific), steel toe Salomon boots, and my wife's Z-125.

We're both getting motorcycles, but she got first since it'll be better to learn on. I want a CB-500F ABS in a year or two.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Alpha Phoenix posted:

4) OK, sure, but what about nice earbuds that help noise cancel, but let me hear my GPS?

I have been to an ear dr a few times, and they confirmed that noise cancelling earbuds do not prevent hearing damage. Their benefit is that you wouldn't need to crank up the volume as much, so it's less hearing damage than regular buds. I ride with noise cancelling buds for shorter (~1hr) lower speed rides.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Iron Workers pants with knee plates and butt kevlar, Black Brand coat with back, shoulder, and elbow plates, some Mechanix m-pact gloves (not motorcycle specific), steel toe Salomon boots, and my wife's Z-125.

We're both getting motorcycles, but she got first since it'll be better to learn on. I want a CB-500F ABS in a year or two.

Please get some good, proper motorcycle gloves. If you're hesitating, consider what life would be like trying to button up all your shirts or typing one handed forever.

I'd rather have neither, but if I had a choice between a permanent limp and a permanent hand injury, I'd take the limp every time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I got the scorpion with the expectation of it being a 3/4, I was under no illusion that the face guard did anything, but I like the snap in for putting on my glasses. I'll switch to a full modular when I get a bigger highway-compatible bike.

I've never had a problem with glasses on my full-face helmets. Yeah you have to put the glasses on after the helmet but it takes about 5 seconds at the beginning and end of the ride so it's hardly an issue. I would suggest that you get a full-face one instead of the 3/4.

Regarding the highway-compatible thing: you can die while you're standing still just from slipping and falling backwards and cracking your head on the pavement. Any motorcycle can get moving fast enough to kill you, and the speed of your vehicle doesn't have any bearing on what some other idiot on the road is going to do anyway. Don't skimp on the gear just because the bike doesn't seem as threatening as some other options. There's a guy I see around here sometimes who wears a full leather racing suit on his Honda Jazz (50cc scooter).

Don't buy any helmet that isn't certified by either ECE or Snell.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

3) Instead of earplugs, can I just use earbuds?

4) OK, sure, but what about nice earbuds that help noise cancel, but let me hear my GPS?

All that matters for your hearing protection is the passive NRR. If your earbuds stop the wind noise from getting into your ears, that's good. I don't think there are any earbud headphones that do quite as good as job as actual earplugs but you might find some that are okay.

The best solution is, as noted, earplugs and helmet speakers. Safer for your hearing and more comfortable too.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 8, 2018

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Carth Dookie posted:

Please get some good, proper motorcycle gloves. If you're hesitating, consider what life would be like trying to button up all your shirts or typing one handed forever.

I'd rather have neither, but if I had a choice between a permanent limp and a permanent hand injury, I'd take the limp every time.

Yeah this, plus boots with good lateral ankle protection. Hands and feet have tiny delicate bones and you can just put your foot down wrong, roll your ankle, throw your hands out to catch yourself and gently caress them up, all at the same time at a standstill, just because being on a bike makes you effectively top-heavy and naturally a little less stable. Even just wiping your rear end with your non dominant hand is a quality of life issue. Good gloves can be picked up pretty affordably, but dropping $100+ will save you replacing worn out cheaper gloves several times over the next few years.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I've never had a problem with glasses on my full-face helmets. Yeah you have to put the glasses on after the helmet but it takes about 5 seconds at the beginning and end of the ride so it's hardly an issue. I would suggest that you get a full-face one instead of the 3/4.

Don't buy any helmet that isn't certified by either ECE or Snell.

Honestly I only mentioned my helmet to establish that I had a solid DOT helmet before I asked about the crazy Russian ones. I'm genuinely surprised at the pushback on it.

I definitely agree with you about the gloves. They were an afterthought for me initially, and I was ready to use a pair of ski gloves. But the more I think about it the more I need some decent gloves. My lizard brain is going to throw out my hands in a fall before I can change anything. My boots have solid ankle protection though.

Thanks for the advice!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Honestly I only mentioned my helmet to establish that I had a solid DOT helmet before I asked about the crazy Russian ones. I'm genuinely surprised at the pushback on it.

A 3/4 helmet is better than a skid lid, but you should ideally be dressing for the best possible protection from a crash and not to look cool. That means a decent ECE or Snell rated full face helmet. A DOT sticker means nothing - any helmet manufacturer can self-certify as complying with DOT standards and then put DOT stickers on their helmets.

In the old Hurt motorcycle injury study, something like 1/3 of all impacts taken to the helmet were in the chin bar. I wouldn't risk my face on those odds - I like being able to chew my own food. This is a pretty safety-conscious group of riders, hence the pushback on a 3/4 helmet.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I definitely agree with you about the gloves. They were an afterthought for me initially, and I was ready to use a pair of ski gloves. But the more I think about it the more I need some decent gloves. My lizard brain is going to throw out my hands in a fall before I can change anything. My boots have solid ankle protection though.

Thanks for the advice!

To be more condensed and specific with the helmet responses: With a 3/4 helmet you might not die, but you will really wish that you had. I can think of maybe once that I've gone down and not banged my chin bar hard before dragging face first along the pavement. Graceful.

Please get a helmet that covers your face.

Same for the gloves. I have some shameful summer gloves, but they have a leather palm. I've worn through that palm on both downs I had. Imagine that being fabric and skin... and bone, instead.

Nice on the Z125. I have a Grom. It's definitely not safer than a bigger bike. Given the tiny wheels and twitchy nature, it's probably less safe. Be careful.

For the ears, earbuds will probably have you turning it way up to mask the wind noise, compounding the riding hearing damage with the music hearing damage. Plus, the times I tried it, the music noise level made me feel really isolated from everything. Shure SE-215 earbuds will both block out noise as good as any foam earplug, but have excellent clarity that you don't have to turn up high at all. Best of both worlds, but the cost of entry is high.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coydog posted:

For the ears, earbuds will probably have you turning it way up to mask the wind noise, compounding the riding hearing damage with the music hearing damage. Plus, the times I tried it, the music noise level made me feel really isolated from everything. Shure SE-215 earbuds will both block out noise as good as any foam earplug, but have excellent clarity that you don't have to turn up high at all. Best of both worlds, but the cost of entry is high.

I have these Shures. They are great at what they do. They are the ones that the ear doc recommended. But they are nowhere near as good as plugs for protecting your hearing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm a broke-rear end sumbitch and i'm buying a Shoei and Handroids (among other gear) before I ever set out on the road.

i was looking at bell helmets, and ehhhhhh, i'll tier up. my brain's the only thing i got

wait another paycheck

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm a broke-rear end sumbitch and i'm buying a Shoei and Handroids (among other gear) before I ever set out on the road.

i was looking at bell helmets, and ehhhhhh, i'll tier up. my brain's the only thing i got

wait another paycheck

Bell makes good helmets. You don't need to drop mad bank to get a helmet that will do a good job in a crash. Extra $$ gets you things like drop down sun visors, plush liners, and cool paint, but it doesn't necessarily mean the helmet will protect better.

I wouldn't hesitate to ditch Arai if another manufacturer made a less expensive helmet that fit my mutant melon, provided it fit well and was ECE or Snell certified.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Passed my written, (not really useful)* permit in hand! 23/25. One of the misses was

"Most motorcycle collisions happen because" (their answer): "The rider did not swerve and brake"

I don't like that because it makes it sound like you're supposed to do both at the same moment, when in reality you brake either before or after the swerve.

*can't solo ride on a permit in CO. lame

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

Passed my written, (not really useful)* permit in hand! 23/25. One of the misses was

"Most motorcycle collisions happen because" (their answer): "The rider did not swerve and brake"

I don't like that because it makes it sound like you're supposed to do both at the same moment, when in reality you brake either before or after the swerve.

*can't solo ride on a permit in CO. lame

Eh you can brake and swerve at the same time -- you just can't brake as hard when you're turning and you can't turn as tight when you're braking. You trade your traction back and forth depending on what you need to do in the situation.

But yeah I don't think that's the right answer to the question in the first place. I would say most motorcycle collisions happen because the rider didn't maintain proper situational awareness.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Jazzzzz posted:

Bell makes good helmets. You don't need to drop mad bank to get a helmet that will do a good job in a crash. Extra $$ gets you things like drop down sun visors, plush liners, and cool paint, but it doesn't necessarily mean the helmet will protect better.

I wouldn't hesitate to ditch Arai if another manufacturer made a less expensive helmet that fit my mutant melon, provided it fit well and was ECE or Snell certified.

I'll be honest.. my Bell was a lot more capable of handling 100 degree heat than my Shoei. I own a RF1200, and still wish I would have bought a Bell Star as my replacement instead.

I would highly recommend a Vortex, or even a Qualifier for a starter helmet. A qualifier is a hell of a deal for the money. My only complaint about Bell helmets is that they're loud, but that is easily solved by wearing ear plugs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Will be earpluggin' it. I'll check out the Bells then because that'd give me some budget headroom for pants

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

Will be earpluggin' it. I'll check out the Bells then because that'd give me some budget headroom for pants

Noise varies hugely depending on your head and your bike. I'd argue that the variation is so great there's no such thing as a universally quiet helmet.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Makes me wish they had fans at motorcycle shops so you could test wind noise whilst trying on lids.

Also seconding the Bell, they make pretty decent lids.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Keket posted:

Makes me wish they had fans at motorcycle shops so you could test wind noise whilst trying on lids.

Also seconding the Bell, they make pretty decent lids.

I guy I know started riding again and went to the store with someone else in our riding group to pick out helmets. He brought this handheld electric leaf blower with him and did pretty much that.

I guess the people in the shop didn’t mind so much because it was entertaining to watch. I wish they had gotten it on video.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Coydog posted:

To be more condensed and specific with the helmet responses: With a 3/4 helmet you might not die, but you will really wish that you had. I can think of maybe once that I've gone down and not banged my chin bar hard before dragging face first along the pavement. Graceful.

Please get a helmet that covers your face.

This thread needs this photo every couple of pages. Helmet shows the location-specific likelihood of impact based off the Hurt Report.

Helmet is the Icon Airframe Statistic, and I wish it fit me. Please note where the double digits are.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Consider also how expensive dental work is.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

Consider also how expensive and painful dental work is.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Carth Dookie posted:

Consider also how expensive and painful dental work is and how good it is to eat apples and jerky normally.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

Consider is.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
On the other hand, consider that window-makers trauma surgeons need work too!

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 10, 2018

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 4, 2020

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

puberty worked me over posted:

Looking to get my loadout verified as goon approved and have some questions if someone has a few minutes to go over this to help reduce my chances of horribly injuring myself. Thank you.

1.) Used Aerostich Roadcrafter One-Piece
a.) Seems to be lacking the standard shoulder, arm, and elbow impact armor at least from outside feel. Going to see if I can take the thing apart and verify it's not there. I certainly can't feel it while wearing it.
b.) Plan is to purchase these:
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/aerostich-tf-impact-armor/aerostich-tf3-impact-armor-set.html
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/aerostich-tf-impact-armor/aerostich-tf3-hip-impact-armor.html
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/aerostich-tf-impact-armor/aerostich-back-impact-armor.html
for a total of $242 bucks and considering I got the Roadcrafter for $300 I don't think I did too bad. Looking for opinions on the TF5 vs TF3 armor but that might be a better question for a larger forum.

2.) Boots: Sidi Crossfire 2 SRS
a.) I adjusted the shift lever on my EX250 upward and after that change these seem perfectly usable on the street. Curious if looking forward there is anything with more ankle protection than these or is this as good as it gets?

3.) Gloves: Fox Bomber
a.) I have a set of Cortech Impulse RRs on the way. The Fox Bomber gloves seem adequate for dirt but not so much asphalt. Hopefully the Cortech gloves aren't too hot. Since gloves seem to wear out pretty quickly I'm open to switching to something else when the RRs wear out. If they're useless in a crash I'll return them and get something better.

4.) Helmet: HJC IS-17
a.) While not SNELL/ECE certified it's 5 star rated by SHARP (https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/), fits well, and has a decent sun visor. If I'm sacrificing protection by wearing this helmet and need to go get something else I'm happy to read what you have to type on the subject.

Also looking for opinions on good riding shorts/underwear and possibly a bead cover. The only thing that's currently uncomfortable for long rides is my butt.

The cortechs impulse RRs are good gloves. I have a set of them. The protection they provide is nice. I have them in Hi-Viz uncle yellow.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
No way you would be unable to feel aerostich pads. They’re absolutely colossal. I think there’s just shoulder and elbow though, no?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

builds character posted:

No way you would be unable to feel aerostich pads. They’re absolutely colossal. I think there’s just shoulder and elbow though, no?

Counterpoint- you might not be able to feel them because they don't feel like standard armor. I was shocked how rough and odd the revit armor was after having astich pants. The extra pad astich puts over the armor works wonders for comfort.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 4, 2020

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

How good is 1st gear on a mid-size motorcycle (like, 300cc-500cc)? On our Z-125 I feel like I'm ready to switch into 2nd when I hit double-digit speed, which is before I even leave an intersection. I'd just start in 2nd if I could, but I'd also stall every time (because I am new and bad, you see). I don't really like revving my engine beyond what I need to, but I think that's what the little pit bike z125 is made for. I'm definitely not a 'vroom vroom' driver though.

I suspect it's because I am too big for it. I'm under 200lb, but the bike won't hit 60 with me driving it. I think I could drive it off of a plane and the bike would flat out refuse to break 60mph in freefall.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

First gear on my CL350 gets you across the intersection if it's a small intersection.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I don't really like revving my engine beyond what I need to

Motorcycle engines are made to rev. Don't be afraid to bring it right up to redline.

But also if you weigh ~200lb and you're on a 125 you're just not going to go places very fast. A 125 (in the USA) is a city bike, only barely suitable for brief excursions on the freeway.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 12, 2018

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm definitely in 2nd gear by the time I make it through most intersections on both my XJ600 and the DR350.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

First gear on my CL350 gets you across the intersection if it's a small intersection.

Motorcycle engines are made to rev. Don't be afraid to bring it right up to redline.

But also if you weigh ~200lb and you're on a 125 you're just not going to go places very fast. A 125 (in the USA) is a city bike, only barely suitable for brief excursions on the freeway.

Thanks for the info. It's not really about being 'afraid' to make it redline though. Just a style preference, I guess? One I need to get over, I suppose. Honestly I just need more practice.

I think in my state it's illegal to take it on a freeway if you're under 150cc, but no fear there, I'm not even comfortable on 55mph country roads around here, since people regularly go 65 on them. If I had to deal with nearby cars going 80... No, not yet.

My wife weighs closer to 100 and this is her bike. It's a better fit for her than me, which is fine and good. I'll get one in a year or two, once I'm good enough from practicing on hers. I was thinking CB300f or CB500f.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In a car you get the clutching done asap and let the engine do the work. On a bike you ride the everloving gently caress out of the clutch until the engine's happy. It's just what they do.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

In a car you get the clutching done asap and let the engine do the work. On a bike you ride the everloving gently caress out of the clutch until the engine's happy. It's just what they do.

I feel like this wasn’t something my CBT instructor ever covered.

“Use the clutch as a second throttle” would have been a great help while I’m trying to work out moving from a standstill as I found “twist your wrist such a tiny amount to get the engine just right” on their thrashed and sloppy learner bikes rather challenging.

I think I managed to get it subconsciously, but whenever I explicitly thought about rolling off from a stop it was a one way ticket to stallsville.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Thanks for the info. It's not really about being 'afraid' to make it redline though. Just a style preference, I guess? One I need to get over, I suppose. Honestly I just need more practice.

I think in my state it's illegal to take it on a freeway if you're under 150cc, but no fear there, I'm not even comfortable on 55mph country roads around here, since people regularly go 65 on them. If I had to deal with nearby cars going 80... No, not yet.

My wife weighs closer to 100 and this is her bike. It's a better fit for her than me, which is fine and good. I'll get one in a year or two, once I'm good enough from practicing on hers. I was thinking CB300f or CB500f.

My 500F I can almost flat foot and I have a 27 (?) inseam. There are lowering kits too.

I would rather a 500F over a 300F, as they seem a little more "real bike" over "starter bike".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm ATGATT in the deep South and it's getting old. Someone recommend me the absolute best in mesh/summer gear. I'll entertain almost any price to get this poo poo feeling light and breezy, it's just not as much fun as it used to be.

Mostly talking jackets and pants.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm ATGATT in the deep South and it's getting old. Someone recommend me the absolute best in mesh/summer gear. I'll entertain almost any price to get this poo poo feeling light and breezy, it's just not as much fun as it used to be.

Mostly talking jackets and pants.

I picked up a Klim Induction jacket last month. Feels decently protective for a mesh jacket. Comes with CE level-1 armor in the elbows, shoulders, and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just got some revit airwave pants and they are really nice and breezy. Great fit on them, too. I imagine the jacket would be the same.