Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Rascyc posted:

No cause the big one is made all the more powerful with the number of shells in it. I think the only time to use the regular AED is when you couldn't fit in the ultra anyway or maybe when you're only half loaded with shells anyway. It does take quite a bit of wind up after all and everyone who's a vet to this game knows how Rathalos and Diabolos moves so they're just really easy to land at the moment.

Yeah I was wondering this too. It seems that regular AED are nerfed from 4U while Ultras received a huge buff in the fact that you don't lose your shield buff anymore.

Spamming Ultras with elemental CBs was a viable strategy in 4U to monsters weak to element. I think this will be the new "optimal" way to play CB in World, as spamming ultras just got a lot easier.

Either way, I'm still gonna use a bunch of impact phials cause nothing is more metal than blocking a charging Diablos and knocking him the gently caress out. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SocksyBear/status/940358578359226370

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Funkmaster General posted:

You're always connected to the servers because of the drop-in drop-out multiplayer stuff, and for the purpose of pulling the current event quests. If you're offline, you just won't get access to that, the game will function fine though.

Ah gotcha, that makes sense. I'll probably spend a lot of time playing with people once I learn the basics, but solo roaming looks like a lot of fun too. Nice to know you can play it completely offline if you want to.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Yo this game is loving awesome

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah I was wondering this too. It seems that regular AED are nerfed from 4U while Ultras received a huge buff in the fact that you don't lose your shield buff anymore.

Spamming Ultras with elemental CBs was a viable strategy in 4U to monsters weak to element. I think this will be the new "optimal" way to play CB in World, as spamming ultras just got a lot easier.

Either way, I'm still gonna use a bunch of impact phials cause nothing is more metal than blocking a charging Diablos and knocking him the gently caress out. :black101:

:same:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How do you use the indiana jones swing whip?

that looks dope as gently caress

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Oh Snapple! posted:

How does one gunlance good.

Is wyvernfire up? Use wyvernfire. Then do whatever moves get you into the slam so you can do the slam->explode->swipe->stake combo. Then reload. Repeat until monster is dead. Block stuff when applicable.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Captain Beans posted:

How do you use the indiana jones swing whip?

that looks dope as gently caress

hold L2 to aim the slinger and hit O when one of the glowy bug things that hang out on vines is somewhere near the middle of the screen. there are some in the training room you can play with

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also use it to ride wingdrakes! So far, I've had to tag the wingdrake with a stone or something before I can grapple it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

As someone new to Monster Hunter who really liked the Chargeblade, could someone explain to me what any of this means? :shobon:

I’m assuming Ultras refers to the axe modes Triangle+O attack instead of the standard O attacks that spend a single Phial.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally did a multiplayer hunt and switch axe is definitely my poo poo. That's a real fun weapon there. You get some mobility and great vertical attacks in axe mode, and just total berserk damage in sword mode. And sometimes, when the stars align, you get to make everything explode.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I tried the charge blade :eyepop:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 12, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Harrow posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo I tried the charge blade :eyepop:

modern MH.txt

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

As someone new to Monster Hunter who really liked the Chargeblade, could someone explain to me what any of this means? :shobon:

I’m assuming Ultras refers to the axe modes Triangle+O attack instead of the standard O attacks that spend a single Phial.

AED is the Triangle+O attack while in Axe mode.

Ultra AED is done when you have phials stored, those phials will be used in the AED resulting in a bigger attack. The more phials stored that you use, the higher the damage.

If you press back+x during the animation, this will let you perform what is called a Super AED. Super is weaker than the Ultra but only uses up 1 phial.

In past games performing an Ultra would use all of your stored phials and you would also lose your shield charge. In World, you keep the charged shield, so it makes it easier to spam Ultras.

Also there are two types of Charge Blades, impact and elemental. Impact deals KO damage with phial attacks while Elemental deal extra elemental damage

This probably didn't explain much because the names for all of these are dumb and I'm not even sure if I got all the name right tbh. Instead watch gaijin hunters video from 4U, which gameplay wise is very similar to World.

https://youtu.be/J1LE1D5YSZM

E: he has a newer vid that might explain things better but is also half an hour long, goddamn I ain't watching that but here you go.

https://youtu.be/t5wRRvB-41I

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 12, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i love MHW greatsword + rocksteady mantle
https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableEsteemedBillPastaThat

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

With so long away from the series I'm going through all the same pains as when I originally started. Having just played nioh and bloodborne, the length of time before you're allowed to do anything again after an animation and the inability to change direction during/between swings of many combos is really not easy to enjoy

Also new potion and antidote speeds are absolutely painful and I want flexing back. :reject:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

speed eating is now very worth it. you can get it to +3 in the demo and it is grreat

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Digirat posted:

Also new potion and antidote speeds are absolutely painful and I want flexing back. :reject:

Agreed, being able to move/roll cancel while healing isn't worth how slow the full animation is. It honestly feels like a downgrade from previous games, not "2 ez for casul" like people were bitching about.

Also, you seem to lose Switch Axe meter way faster in World. Meaning you actually have to you axe mode sometimes.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
You can sprint during the potion animation though, so it takes longer but you have more control.

It does feel like a downgrade though. Things that do instant healing like lifepowders and max potions are very strong.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
You can sprint while using items which makes it comically safe to do so. Also max potions are little power pills that you eat in like a second so those are better in a pinch.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Gunna go out on a limb (heh) and say the jungle area loving sucks. Just trying to figure out how to go from one area to another is a massive frustration, let alone actually getting there. Maybe it'll get better once I learn the layout, but previous games were always really good about making sure the levels made sense and were easy to navigate.

Also, is there any way to disable when the camera focuses on stuff? I don't care that some chump just entered the area, I'm more concerned with the enraged rathalos trying to murder me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They say there'll be an option to turn off the camera turning to focus on stuff in the full game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Being able to roll cancel potions isn't even as great as it sounds--you get boned really hard if you have to cancel a potion since it eats the item the instant the healing starts, but you could only end up with 1/5 of the healing from it if you really miscalculated. Also mega potions seem to take twice as long to drink as normal potions which means it feels like 8 solid seconds before all the health is back. there's probably some more interesting strategy as far as which one to use when as a result, but right now I really can't stand it. Antidotes seem to take nearly as long which means even if you have the opportunity to down one immediately, you're taking some noticeable damage

I didn't know you could sprint though, that's helpful

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Gunna go out on a limb (heh) and say the jungle area loving sucks. Just trying to figure out how to go from one area to another is a massive frustration, let alone actually getting there. Maybe it'll get better once I learn the layout, but previous games were always really good about making sure the levels made sense and were easy to navigate.

Also, is there any way to disable when the camera focuses on stuff? I don't care that some chump just entered the area, I'm more concerned with the enraged rathalos trying to murder me.

Freedom Unite jungle begs to differ. I agree it is really confusing right now.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

The camera thing will likely be a one time deal for the first time you encounter a monster in a playthrough, it's just that the way the beta is structured, every mission is like a whole new game so you get the zoom every time.

The forest zone is freaking cool actually it's just a pain to navigate the central jungle/ancient tree interior part (which it kinda should be considering what it is). I have a pretty good handle on the rest of the map now though, it's really fun to actually start to be like "oh ok he's running to the big hanging rock area, I'll get my slinger ammo ready and try to get him stuck underneath" or "there's a health bug over here so I don't need to heal" or "let me pop in this cave and grab some flashbugs for some more flashbombs". I fuckin love how packed the zones are with useful stuff. I've just started trying to look up more and there's grapple points everywhere and you can do some freaking sick nasty stunts with em.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hypha posted:

Freedom Unite jungle begs to differ. I agree it is really confusing right now.

At least with that jungle you could see the entire map at once and easily see how each area connects together.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

At least with that jungle you could see the entire map at once and easily see how each area connects together.

then high rank happens

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think the two areas look really awesome and it's cool that they are more varied and complex. It really is a different experience with no loading screens. Super :stoked: to explore that incredible looking coral area.

What I don't like is the side effect that monsters running away now have to traverse those entire intermediate areas to get to the open areas where they're willing to stay put again, which takes ages compared to just following them through a loading screen that teleports you next to them again. I tried fighting the water bro in the wildspire wastes instead of barroth tonight, and at one point he left the big swamp zone to go halfway down a corridor, turned around and went back to the zone, then left for another area, then turned around and went back again in the span of about two minutes.

It's not going to be so bad when we're gratefully back to 50 minute timers but I think it's still going to be a bother. Monster AI for moving between areas probably had to be completely rewritten for world and unfortunately it shows--and even when it's not janky, you have to haul rear end after them for longer than is fun if they decide to take the scenic route or turn around for some reason

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All right, had some fun hunting monsters and trying weapons, and I feel pretty confident in picking switch axe to start with in the full game. I definitely want to get good with the hunting horn, too, so I can play songs by smacking monsters in the head, but switch axe seems like a good weapon to use while I get a handle on the basics of how the full game works.

Those full element discharges where you mount the monster are extremely :discourse:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Do we know how many maps are gonna be in the game?

We've seen four or five so far and I wonder how many more haven't been shown off at all.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I never really got into MH before but is it normal for your favorite weapon to be every weapon? Because they are all fun. Even lance, which looked really boring from the description, is great.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

AttackBacon posted:

The camera thing will likely be a one time deal for the first time you encounter a monster in a playthrough, it's just that the way the beta is structured, every mission is like a whole new game so you get the zoom every time.

The forest zone is freaking cool actually it's just a pain to navigate the central jungle/ancient tree interior part (which it kinda should be considering what it is). I have a pretty good handle on the rest of the map now though, it's really fun to actually start to be like "oh ok he's running to the big hanging rock area, I'll get my slinger ammo ready and try to get him stuck underneath" or "there's a health bug over here so I don't need to heal" or "let me pop in this cave and grab some flashbugs for some more flashbombs". I fuckin love how packed the zones are with useful stuff. I've just started trying to look up more and there's grapple points everywhere and you can do some freaking sick nasty stunts with em.

I mean thematically it makes sense for the tree to be condensed and convoluted, but from a gameplay standpoint it kind of blows. Maybe it's cus I've been trying (and failing) to kill rathalos, but having to loving scale that thing up and down is a goddamn chore, and not what I want to be doing when I'm pumped up for a fight. Previous MH games made sure that it never took more than about 30 seconds to get to any given zone, the tree easily takes a minute or more of just following flies because good luck figuring out how to get to the monster on your own.

It just feels like it really kills the pacing, and that's not a problem other games in the series had. Granted, grounded monsters don't have this problem nearly as badly, and all the areas outside the tree are great.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I never really got into MH before but is it normal for your favorite weapon to be every weapon? Because they are all fun. Even lance, which looked really boring from the description, is great.

they're made changes for this one that make all of them pretty great yeah

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Transition-happy monsters can be annoying (Rathalos :negative:) but there's several ways to mitigate it, which actually makes it a cool way to express mastery. Any flinch will cause the monster to stop and fight you where he is (even in a transitional area) which can lead to some pretty intense close quarters fights. This gets really reliable when the monster starts dropping their special slinger ammo shinies, which have a guaranteed flinch when they hit. I'll always grab that and hang on to it until the monster starts to turn tail and then I'll just pop him with a slinger bomb or thorn or pierce pod and he'll turn right around. Similarly, flash bombs will stop them, of which you get several if you pop into your tent and pull them out of your item box (or you can grab flashbugs around the map and just make em). Same with rides, traps (you could probably actually place a trap on a retreat path if you know his next transition will be to limp back to his lair), etc. I actually haven't had an Anjanath get back to their lair to sleep at all today, I've gotten good enough at interrupting their retreat. They'll get one transition early on but that's usually all they get (and I like it anyways because going to a new area means I get a bunch of new environmentals to take advantage of). Also, being able to use most items on the move means you can usually just last until a transition occurs and use the travel time to heal up, use demon/armor powders, etc.

I mean thematically it makes sense for the tree to be condensed and convoluted, but from a gameplay standpoint it kind of blows. Maybe it's cus I've been trying (and failing) to kill rathalos, but having to loving scale that thing up and down is a goddamn chore, and not what I want to be doing when I'm pumped up for a fight. Previous MH games made sure that it never took more than about 30 seconds to get to any given zone, the tree easily takes a minute or more of just following flies because good luck figuring out how to get to the monster on your own.

It just feels like it really kills the pacing, and that's not a problem other games in the series had. Granted, grounded monsters don't have this problem nearly as badly, and all the areas outside the tree are great.

Rathalos is definitely the worst about it but there's actually a camp nearby every single place he will fly to so once you figure out the routes from the camps you can just fast travel there and cut the whole chase out. Especially useful when he heads home to sleep, since the camp is literally around the corner. I think it's always going to be a little bit of an annoyance but I've gone from going "get back here and let me kill you!" on Saturday to not having an issue with it at all today, just by learning those mechanics and learning the maps a bit more.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FBS posted:

Do we know how many maps are gonna be in the game?

We've seen four or five so far and I wonder how many more haven't been shown off at all.

There are six spots for areas based on an arrekz video, so six is a safe number as five have been confirmed for sure

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the part where you can get knocked way down to the bottom and have no apparent or easy way up loving blows.

I don't care for swinging from vines, either.

But all of this is really just needing to learn the zones again.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Digirat posted:

Being able to roll cancel potions isn't even as great as it sounds--you get boned really hard if you have to cancel a potion since it eats the item the instant the healing starts, but you could only end up with 1/5 of the healing from it if you really miscalculated. Also mega potions seem to take twice as long to drink as normal potions which means it feels like 8 solid seconds before all the health is back. there's probably some more interesting strategy as far as which one to use when as a result, but right now I really can't stand it. Antidotes seem to take nearly as long which means even if you have the opportunity to down one immediately, you're taking some noticeable damage

I didn't know you could sprint though, that's helpful

Antidotes are awful but if you combine them with blue mushrooms to make herbal medicine, you get a poison cure + small heal that's as quick as a max potion.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
I thought I was going to hold out for the PC version, but I've had too much fun with this demo to wait that long. MHW does so many little things that I thought this series would never change, and I'm super pumped to try out more of the game.

The only change I haven't cared for too much is that mounting seems to take a really long time now, and the monster flees all over the place during the process which makes it really annoying for everyone else in multiplayer. Combine that with a mount happy glaive user that plays like he came straight from MH4U, and it ends up feeling like you could've killed the thing faster if he didn't bother mounting.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Whoa I missed the switch blade buff where if you swing the sword enough times it powers up to a new level. Pretty cool effect once it gets going.

On the other hand axe mode feels as gimped as ever.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I'm back with more sweet tech! Gunlance style!

Looks like Gunlance is keeping the various shelling types per weapon (bow doesn't display this info so different bows having different shot types is probably gone). It'll be interesting to see whether Long gets some additional interaction with Wyvern Stake. That's besides the point though, let's get to the fun stuff! With the addition of the wide sweep, Gunlance now has an easy and infinite full burst combo (Normal types rejoice). Following a lunging upthrust or rising slash, you can do an overhead smash into burst fire, as usual. However, after burst fire you can do either a wyvern stake/wyvern fire (to end the combo), or the new wide sweep, which does very good damage and can then be followed up by a quick reload, reloading all your shells. The quick reload can instantly be followed up by another overhead smash and the combo repeats from there. It won't be often you have an opening that justifies the combo but when you do, goddam that's some damage.

Another interesting bit of tech: charged shelling can be repositioned. If you go into a charged shelling and hit up or down on the left stick, you will position your lance in one of three positions: low, mid, or high (corresponding to the shelling positions you'd get from regular pokes, guard pokes, or the rising slash). You can hold the charge indefinitely while you reposition it, but only on the vertical axis, no horizontal repositioning. Kinda weird but possibly some situational use with Wide type gunlances.

Gunlance is also a bit of an aerial monster in World. Your lunging upthrust (forward+triangle) unlocks all sorts of interesting mobility and aerial attacks. If you lunging upthrust on a slope, you'll instantly go into a slide from which you can do some pretty sick moves, including a leaping uppercut that leads to an aerial poke, aerial burst (which looks incredible), or aerial slam (which can be followed up by your infinite burst combo). If you lunging upthrust off a ledge, you'll go right into the aerial slam, while if you lunging upthrust into a ledge you'll climb right up it before finishing the move. Most interesting of all is a lunging upthrust into what I'm calling a "wallrun wall" for lack of a better term. These walls are walls that cannot be climbed. Instead, if you sprint into them (or use certain moves into them with certain weapons, like gunlance), you'll do a wallrun up the wall and then execute some kind of sick aerial maneuver. In our case, the lunging upthrust will lead into a hilariously improbable wallrun which will be followed up by our character vaulting off the wall and doing an aerial wide sweep followed by an aerial slam. It looks insanely awesome and of course can lead right into our full burst fire combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

friends I have discovered, after all these years of hunting monsters, that greatsword is The Way and The Light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgcSU8qQZVY