Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think that was kind of a thing with James at first; I know with the first reunion tour it was just the albums he played on, and I think the next tour the only song from the Jamesless years was Tiberius.

I also wonder if the really static setlists and playing everything to a click, with the entire show timed down to the second was a condition for James coming back. I know it makes it easier, but I've heard comments about Billy and Jimmy bristling at it a little.

Is there anything Tool can't manage to make worse somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Corgan says something reasonable for a change:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/sm...ion-and-suicide

quote:

Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan attacks music industry "exploitation": "Think of all the people my generation has lost to addiction and suicide"
By Paul Brannigan published 3 days ago
In a new interview,. Smashing Pumpkins leader Billy Corgan claims that the music industry is "designed to mess with your head"

Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan has criticised the music industry for its "exploitation" of artists and its lack of resources to tackle mental health issues. “I don’t know if you can be happy in the music business," Corgan says bluntly, "because the music business is sort of designed to mess with your head."

Corgan was speaking on New York’s WFAN Sports Radio, as a guest on the Boomer & Gio show, having announced his band's plans to return with a massive 33-track rock opera, Atum.

Talking about the music industry's failure to properly protect its talent, Loudwire reports Corgan saying, "I think the music business in particular has been very late to the game with mental health and artists. The NFL has figured it out but the music business hasn’t, because the music business is based more on exploitation, which goes back to more of its 20th century roots. I think the 21st century of the music business should be a legacy of finding artists young, fostering them and making sure that they go on to create great music for generations to come.”

“Think of all the people my generation has lost just to addiction and suicide alone," Corgan continued. "It is a travesty that there wasn’t more support systems around those artists. I don’t mean to throw shade at anybody. I just know how the business works. It’s one of exploitation.”

“Think of all the music that Jimi Hendrix didn’t make. We’re still talking about Jimi Hendrix 54 or 55 years after his death. I get lost in there because it’s so sad to me.”

According to Loudwire, Corgan went on to say that he feels "blessed" to still have a career in music, but adds "I don’t want to be on the other end of the casualty list."

Earlier this week, Corgan shared details of his band's forthcoming twelfth studio album, Atum, which will serve as the sequel to 1995's Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness and 2000’s Machina/The Machine Of God.

The album will be divided into three 'acts', with Act 1 scheduled to arrive on November 15, 2022. Act 2 will be released on January 31, 2023 and Act 3, along with a special edition boxset featuring all 33 album tracks plus 10 additional unreleased songs, will be released on April 21, 2023.

Each track from the album will be released chronologically every week on Corgan’s podcast, Thirty-Three With William Patrick Corgan.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd never heard this before today, and apparently it's from the Zeitgeist sessions? What the gently caress is this doing NOT on that album?! :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0qPkAVq_TM

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If someone remixed the vocals that would actually be a good song yeah.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a version of zeitgeist on youtube with all bonus tracks and the vocals mixed lower. It's still not a very good album.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Speaking of Zeitgeist, what's the reason why that one (or any of the singles) are not on Spotify? Is he blocking it out of spite like Zwan or is it a thing with the label (Reprise?)

Spotify makes me regret my CD purge and letting go of Judas O.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hatelull posted:

Speaking of Zeitgeist, what's the reason why that one (or any of the singles) are not on Spotify? Is he blocking it out of spite like Zwan or is it a thing with the label (Reprise?)

Spotify makes me regret my CD purge and letting go of Judas O.

I think it's literally Billy responding to everyone saying it sucked. I think there's some spite there, yeah. I could have the story wrong. I remember when he used to answer questions on Instagram, and someone asked about it, phrasing it like 'hey, you should put Zeitgeist up for streaming!' and he responded with "people should stop loving telling me what to do" but a bit more diplomatically.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure one of the questions was about why it wasn't on there and I think his answer was' no one liked it'.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I mean, if we're gonna go that far I question the existence of Monuments to an Elegy on that service.

Zwan is absent just to spite the other band members that were not Chamberlain right? I didn't hate that album honestly.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
in the grand scheme of SP's ability to write bad music, Zeitgiest is really not that bad

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

hatelull posted:

I mean, if we're gonna go that far I question the existence of Monuments to an Elegy on that service.

Zwan is absent just to spite the other band members that were not Chamberlain right? I didn't hate that album honestly.

In typical billy fashion the best zwan song (spilled milk) isn't on any album and was never properly recorded.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

in the grand scheme of SP's ability to write bad music, Zeitgiest is really not that bad

Completely agreed.

I haven't even listened to all of Cyr, completely forgot it was an album until just now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I have a soft spot for Zeitgeist but that’s because I was finally old enough to buy albums without my parents permission and I had always liked what I from them on much music.

I think it’s still great to this day. Has some issues, but it’s far more interesting than Monuments.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

I have a soft spot for Zeitgeist but that’s because I was finally old enough to buy albums without my parents permission and I had always liked what I from them on much music.

I think it’s still great to this day. Has some issues, but it’s far more interesting than Monuments.

:canada::respek::canada:

Also, I legitimately enjoy United States, and the opening drum riff of Doomsday Clock is pretty much in my head all the time.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I first saw them live after driving 12 hours to see them in Vancouver on their zeitgeist tour, because I wasn’t old enough to travel before they broke up in 2000. I knew it wast the best comeback album but I still listened to it a lot because drat it, I wanted it to be good. I still sometimes wear the t shirt from that tour when im being lazy around the house

e: Zwan was good, actually. Silvery Sometimes kinda sounds like a zwan song imo

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 27, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Listened to the podcast to hear the new track. I liked it way more than Beguiled. Had a lot more going on for it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Zwan was good and MSotS is very good, some of Jimmy's best playing.

Zeitgeist is bad, although about 1/3 of the songs are good. I actually like the boomy, roomy, slightly distorted drums on the album, but the vocals are obviously too loud and a bit too present, and it's let down by the other 2/3 of the songs singing like extremely weak rehashes of the good songs. Needs more variety in songwriting, texture, keys, and dynamics. Put a dang acoustic guitar on there, Billy, and cut it out with the angular open string riffs in c#.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So, this tour starts soon and I think we have the second date. News just dropped that Navarro is not making these dates, due to long term COVID complications.

Troy Van Leeuwen is filling the spot.

Anyone have predictions on this Pumpkins set? I'm assuming Jane's will just play the classics and likely not dip too far beyond that single from Strays. I feel like Corgan is gonna split the difference between obvious singles and new stuff we've never heard because he's Billy Corgan and maybe an exciting deep cut.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That sucks about Navarro - was really looking forward to him playing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

That sucks about Navarro - was really looking forward to him playing.

Same. Farrell's vocals might have gone to poo poo but Navarro would still be cool to see.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What is 'that single' from Strays? The theme to that rich guy show? Entourage?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The only one I know is "Just Because" ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb3FJdRk-tI

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Trip Report?

So I didn't hate that. In terms of set lists, it was heavy on later material but dude DOES have a new releases imminent. Plus, he already went deep in the nostalgia on that last major tour.

Nothing from Gish was surprising. "We Only Come Out at Night" was probably the deepest cut from left field, even more bizarre that it shows up like three songs in to a twenty song show.

Chamberlain is a beast. "Silverfuck" was a super pleasant surprise and is still as blistering as ever. He pulls out a bizarro "Once in a Lifetime" cover that owes more to Sabbath than post-punk. That was definitely a thing. "Beguiled" was goofy as hell since it got played live while that ridiculous video plays in the background with eerie precision.

Still, I feel like Houston got shafted. Opening show was in Dallas, and they got "If There Was a God" and "X.Y.U" to close out the show. He just ended with a new mostly unfamiliar track here.

We missed a chunk of the Jane's Addiction set. Caught a really tasty "Ted, Just Admit It" though. They had exotic dancers writhing and dancing for most of their set. We felt cheated that Corgan didn't bring out wrestlers to taunt the crowd.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 4, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I saw a video of SP playing some time around the Teargarden era and Billy played Disarm solo acoustic and had a pro wrestler come out and interrupt the song so Billy hit him over the head with the guitar. Imagine being in the audience for that bullshit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

hatelull posted:

Trip Report?

So I didn't hate that. In terms of set lists, it was heavy on later material but dude DOES have a new releases imminent. Plus, he already went deep in the nostalgia on that last major tour.

Nothing from Gish was surprising. "We Only Come Out at Night" was probably the deepest cut from left field, even more bizarre that it shows up like three songs in to a twenty song show.

Chamberlain is a beast. "Silverfuck" was a super pleasant surprise and is still as blistering as ever. He pulls out a bizarro "Once in a Lifetime" cover that owes more to Sabbath than post-punk. That was definitely a thing. "Beguiled" was goofy as hell since it got played live while that ridiculous video plays in the background with eerie precision.

Still, I feel like Houston got shafted. Opening show was in Dallas, and they got "If There Was a God" and "X.Y.U" to close out the show. He just ended with a new mostly unfamiliar track here.

We missed a chunk of the Jane's Addiction set. Caught a really tasty "Ted, Just Admit It" though. They had exotic dancers writhing and dancing for most of their set. We felt cheated that Corgan didn't bring out wrestlers to taunt the crowd.

What's the merch situation like?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I saw a video of SP playing some time around the Teargarden era and Billy played Disarm solo acoustic and had a pro wrestler come out and interrupt the song so Billy hit him over the head with the guitar. Imagine being in the audience for that bullshit.

Ha! They DID do a quasi-acoustic "Disarm." Mostly just James and Billy, with some backing stuff. As far as clean acoustic goes, the mid-set acoustic "Tonight, Tonight" was sublime.

There is so much keyboard in the late era material I'm super puzzled as to why they don't have someone playing those parts live. Maybe Schroeder is doing it through filters?

There wasn't a large amount of bullshit for a Pumpkins show. Standard awkward as gently caress banter, Billy doing his gothy dancing "Cyr" is what if Nosferatu went vegan and started a gothy synth pop band, and a huge chunk of the crowd getting the gently caress out of dodge after they play "1979."

At one point they were pushing the crowd into a singalong at the end of "Eye" of all things. REALLY wanted everyone to lean into some "woooaaahs"

e: REPLY

Vintersorg posted:

Tour t-shirts with art work that reminded me a lot of the graphic aesthetic off CYR and Shiny .. and I think they're doing some limited edition tour posters. I didn't see anyone carrying vinyl.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 4, 2022

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Vintersorg posted:

There's some photos of merch from this weekend here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPumpkins/comments/xu68ns/ill_try_to_get_better_pictures_but_here_is_what_i/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Janes setlist looks really drat solid - although they only played Ocean Size at the first date. Hope we get that in NYC. gently caress - I am beyond excited.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

To Sheila came on shuffle today unexpectedly and I forgot how beautiful that song is. I don’t necessarily wish he would make a return to the heavy grunge sound of siamese dream or mellon collie, but god drat, what happened billy. why can’t you make em like you used to

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

polyester concept posted:

To Sheila came on shuffle today unexpectedly and I forgot how beautiful that song is. I don’t necessarily wish he would make a return to the heavy grunge sound of siamese dream or mellon collie, but god drat, what happened billy. why can’t you make em like you used to

Yeah, I didn't fully appreciate Adore back in the day, which is the coldest take of course, but WOW do I miss it now.

Except Shame. Still don't like that one. But To Shiela was always a wonderful one, my favourite even when the album wasn't working for me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh hey it turns out my buddy designed posters for two of the shows on this tour. I guess they gave him a couple boxes of prints so he's gonna give me one of each.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

lol

https://thehardtimes.net/music/smashing-pumpkins-announce-reunion-with-original-billy-corgan/

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/hetherrfortune/status/1589000781365407744?t=GzmI3nilCr97gv-VbTEhAA&s=19

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I mean, I'd prefer that over him dancing for the drum solo lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I liked this interview. I think Billy has found his chill.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Becoming a dad was really the best thing for him mentally in the last decade

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm at the sp show rn and Jane's addiction is the opener and it's loving awfulllllk

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm at the sp show rn and Jane's addiction is the opener and it's loving awfulllllk

How many actual members of Jane's addiction are actually left in the band now? From memory Eric Avery quit three seconds after they reformed, Perry Farrell got injured during the first song, and didn't Navarro say something about quitting as well?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

How many actual members of Jane's addiction are actually left in the band now? From memory Eric Avery quit three seconds after they reformed, Perry Farrell got injured during the first song, and didn't Navarro say something about quitting as well?

Dave's still out with long covid, isn't he? I thought Eric was still in it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Once in a lifetime cover oh my god m8 what is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Billy is super sick and can't really sing but he's trying