Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

FreudianSlippers posted:

My regular bar has some good reading material

John Mulaney needs his own Spider-Ham spin-off movie. Preferably live action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CPL593H posted:

I forgot about that but now that you mention it he still was friends with O'Reilly after it came out that he was a sexual harrasser but turned on Anthony Weiner immediately for sending someone dick pics (this was when his activities were still only known to involve a consenting adult). So Stewart was never perfect but I still liked the Daily Show and it was good more often than it was bad.

Daily Show and Colbert Report occupy a strange place in the political culture of the last 20 years. I think they played a major role in getting our generation involved and interested in politics, they could absolutely incite a righteousness among the base the left has struggled to achieve at times and they could be very educational at times and reflective of how just hosed up the system itself is. But that was under Bush and I think the transition to Obama did cause them to struggle a bit and like most liberals they reverted into a sense of complacency that as insane and awful as American politics was at the time it wasn't that bad.

Stewart's response to Trump announcing he was running for President in 2015 was an extended gag about all the male comedians orgasming from the humor potential that was going to have. About 10 years earlier when Colbert premiered there was a lot more drive and understanding that yes, these people are idiots, but they have immense power.

I think more than anything they've just outlived their usefulness. They got millennials engaged, and in the end the generation writ large is moving further to the left than they have.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The Blu-Ray collection at the library where I work is loving wild

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

The Blu-Ray collection at the library where I work is loving wild

Please tell me the reason it has both sequels to the Brendan Fraser Mummy film, but not the original, is because someone had checked it out.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

TrixRabbi posted:

Daily Show and Colbert Report occupy a strange place in the political culture of the last 20 years. I think they played a major role in getting our generation involved and interested in politics, they could absolutely incite a righteousness among the base the left has struggled to achieve at times and they could be very educational at times and reflective of how just hosed up the system itself is. But that was under Bush and I think the transition to Obama did cause them to struggle a bit and like most liberals they reverted into a sense of complacency that as insane and awful as American politics was at the time it wasn't that bad.

Stewart's response to Trump announcing he was running for President in 2015 was an extended gag about all the male comedians orgasming from the humor potential that was going to have. About 10 years earlier when Colbert premiered there was a lot more drive and understanding that yes, these people are idiots, but they have immense power.

I think more than anything they've just outlived their usefulness. They got millennials engaged, and in the end the generation writ large is moving further to the left than they have.

I think they just got proven worthless pablum to the dullards that internalised it

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Those shows were definitely the start of me becoming more politically aware as an early teen. There's a lot of stuff that was really useful to me, such as ditching "nuance" around certain issues and framing them in explicitly moral terms, such as during a debate Stewart had with some guy over torture. Dude kept trying to frame it as bad but necessary and Stewart just cut through all of that by saying "This is the United States, we do not torture." There's plenty of problems with that statement, namely framing the US as some uniquely moral actor historically, but being able to say "gently caress necessity. It's wrong and shouldn't happen." is something that would help me develop my takes on war and foreign policy beyond either Stewart or Colbert (not that it's particularly well informed even now).

But yeah they definitely lost their edge as time went on. Colbert especially seemed to lose the plot. He went from a pointed satire to just a kinda generalized wacky person doing comedy shows for the troops.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Skwirl posted:

Please tell me the reason it has both sequels to the Brendan Fraser Mummy film, but not the original, is because someone had checked it out.

Nope, we only have the sequels.

Baby Mama is really improved when you can see the film grain.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Nope, we only have the sequels.

Baby Mama is really improved when you can see the film grain.

Is it some cruel joke? Are you filming a reality TV version of Saw or The Cube?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mummy Returns has the best score, The Dragon Emperor has the absolute worst.

That’s probably why they had those two. To compare.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 10, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Dark Universe would have been better if it had been more like those movies.

Or the first one anyway.

Haha, the Dark Universe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Dark Universe would have been better if it had been more like those movies.

Or the first one anyway.

Haha, the Dark Universe.

The what now?

(I know what you're talking about but I choose to respect Universal studios wishes and, like them, pretend it never existed).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

The what now?

You know, the one that was going to co-star the cardboard cutout of Russell Crowe?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Happy Saturday, here’s a pic Jamie Hewitt drew of Alan Moore. https://www.instagram.com/p/BqA4TYmFMIL/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know, the one that was going to co-star the cardboard cutout of Russell Crowe?

I think you're having a fever dream, there was never anything of the sort.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Dark Universe had probably made money if they had just done a bunch of low- to mid budget horror films using the Universal Monsters. But no they wanted to get Marvel money by making huge tentpole blockbusters.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 10, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Now I'm in a hotel room, are the books Annihilation is based off of any good? It seems like the sort of thing where a sequel would immediately ruin the premise and what it's going for.

It has its flaws but drat that movie was really unsettling for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Dark Universe had probably made money if they had just done a bunch of low- to mid budget horror films using the Universal Monsters.

Except it's Gill-man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Now I'm in a hotel room, are the books Annihilation is based off of any good? It seems like the sort of thing where a sequel would immediately ruin the premise and what it's going for.

It has its flaws but drat that movie was really unsettling for me.

I think Annihilation is based on one of the sequels.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Dark Universe had probably made money if they had just done a bunch of low- to mid budget horror films using the Universal Monsters. But no they wanted to get Marvel money by making huge tentpole blockbuster money.

Everyone is chasing that Marvel dragon, it's the same reason Paramount has stalled Star Trek movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The thing about the Marvel Dragon was they didn't really plan it out that much in advance, it was just weird teasers at the end of actual movies. Aside from the movies titled Avengers all the films worked completely on their own until Civil War and maybe Thor 3, but at that point cultural osmosis of the characters had sunk in enough that people would get it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's funny that the WarrenVerse is one of the only successful attempts.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Except it's Gill-man.

I've heard that Shape of the Water was originally pitched as a Gillman reboot but Universal weren't feeling it

Don't know how true that is but it wouldn't surprise me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What was supposed to be the endgame of this Dark Universe? I'm trying to think of the plot where they finally bring everything together.

Marvel lost the plot after the first Avengers film (Loki was working for Thanos in that one, remember, of course you don't, the entire film was designed to be forgettable).

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I hope the eventual plan for the Dark Universe was to put all the monsters in the same movie where they never interact, just like the old Universal movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

I hope the eventual plan for the Dark Universe was to put all the monsters in the same movie where they never interact, just like the old Universal movies.

Did Frankenstein meets the Wolfman not actually have Frankenstein meet the Wolfman? (Yes, I know Frankenstein is actually the doctor and not the monster and in the original Mary Shelley novel the monster was named Adam, but gently caress off).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

What was supposed to be the endgame of this Dark Universe? I'm trying to think of the plot where they finally bring everything together.

I have heard (and this is something I heard back when Dracula Untold was supposed to be the first part of the Universal Monster Squad Extended Shared Cinematic Universe, so grain of salt and all that) that it would've teamed up the monsters, led by Dracula, against Cthulhu.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Fiancee just randomly put on beautiful creatures, which has Jeremy irons as the cool uncle. It's ironic that usually he's the best part in his genre flicks, but everything not dealing with the leads dragged the movie down. Its based on a book, but the family drama really spoiled a cute love story.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Skwirl posted:

Marvel lost the plot after the first Avengers film (Loki was working for Thanos in that one, remember, of course you don't, the entire film was designed to be forgettable).

Van Helsing remake

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Dark Universe had probably made money if they had just done a bunch of low- to mid budget horror films using the Universal Monsters. But no they wanted to get Marvel money by making huge tentpole blockbusters.

imo if they wanted to go MCU blockbusters, they should have used more recent IP subjects.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Skwirl posted:

Did Frankenstein meets the Wolfman not actually have Frankenstein meet the Wolfman? (Yes, I know Frankenstein is actually the doctor and not the monster and in the original Mary Shelley novel the monster was named Adam, but gently caress off).

Yeah, it did. But Frankenstein is in the movie for maybe 5 minutes because the studio cut out all of Lugosi's dialog scenes. I was referring more to House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula, where they don't have any of the three monsters interact for some strange reason. The most they're around one another is in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, which is pretty wild.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Power of Pecota posted:

imo if they wanted to go MCU blockbusters, they should have used more recent IP subjects.

I am genuinely disappointed the Men in Black/21 Jump Street movie never happened

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Skwirl posted:

Is it some cruel joke? Are you filming a reality TV version of Saw or The Cube?

CelticPredator posted:

Mummy Returns has the best score, The Dragon Emperor has the absolute worst.

That’s probably why they had those two. To compare.

The real answer is that my library is hilariously bad and inept.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Coffee And Pie posted:

The real answer is that my library is hilariously bad and inept.

I'm chuckling at the one-two punch of Shame and Sicario there. Up to those the collection makes sense in a painfully boring kind of way, and then BAM Fassbender dick out of nowhere.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Negotiator is good

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
alright! Watching Evil Under The Sun tonight cause of this thread (RIP FilmStruck soon)

getting the DVDs for Homicide Life on The Streets. Loved The Wire and never saw Homicide.

Also gotta throw out a wild recommendation for Bosch on Amazon. Its actually quite good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Fiancee just randomly put on beautiful creatures, which has Jeremy irons as the cool uncle. It's ironic that usually he's the best part in his genre flicks, but everything not dealing with the leads dragged the movie down. Its based on a book, but the family drama really spoiled a cute love story.

Yeah, everyone's time would have been much better spent just making the movie they were when it's the two leads getting to know each other. Everything else is just going through the motions.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

I'm picturing a really lovely League of Extraordinary Gentlemen knock off.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have heard (and this is something I heard back when Dracula Untold was supposed to be the first part of the Universal Monster Squad Extended Shared Cinematic Universe, so grain of salt and all that) that it would've teamed up the monsters, led by Dracula, against Cthulhu.

Called it!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I was about to ask why people tried to make Luke Evans being the main character of their movie a thing because I recently saw No One Lives and wasn't impressed and I know he was also Dracula in Dracula: Untold. Then I saw on IMDb that he was Gaston in the live-action Beauty & the Beast movie and drat, I kinda want to see that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Like our DVD collection is reasonably varied (even if the genres are super hosed--Love Simon as a drama and Spring Breakers as a comedy?) the Blu-Ray collection is super uneven and tiny. Between Shame and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, there's a decent amount of HD dick at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm surprised Lucy isn't on there.