Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how... old are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am solidly a millennial.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hey, i made this exact same gif in 1996

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

when i was in high school i downloaded blender every halloween and spent the night giving candy to the trick or treaters and trying to figure out how to do a 3d model and every year by the end of halloween night i would give up in frustration and uninstall blender

I used to be a Blender hater, because its interface was obnoxiously bad and byzantine, even compared to other 3D programs.

but they’ve improved it a lot (added Undo lol, made it left click to select, etc) and having watched that donut tutorial (plus others for stuff like fluid sim) I can make all kinds of hideous bullshit now

edit: that video where the guy takes an hour to show you how to model a sword, fix beginner mistakes, UV wrap it, etc, was really useful for seeing how someone who’s good at making models does it. especially the part where he has you do it like a beginner would and whoops! it’s all hosed up but then he shows you how to fix it

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 24, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
!!!!

left click to select is an abomination !

i remember reading a cg thread years ago when many maya etc users thought the only good thing about blender was that it had right click to select

i’m glad i got used to right click lol. and they when you start it up new you and choose old settings

some of the UI settings do evolve and change tho which sometimes bugs me

space - should be set to search

and for a while, 1,2,3 on the main keyboard switched between vert line and face in edit mode but now you have to hit ctrl tab first 🤷‍♂️

left click to move the 3d cursor sucks.. i have left mouse button do nothing in the viewport, because lol I accidentally click the left mouse button kinda often what an idiot

what used to make blender poo poo was the way it dealt with data like textures etc. now that you can deal with textures in the shaders rather than the mostly deprecated textures tab it’s sooo much better

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in max materials would exist independent of objects and you’d apply them to objects, it was odd at first to get used to materials be inherently associated with objects and you’d have to go out of your way to make materials/shaders persist if you wanted them to survive if you deleted objects t

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Doc Block posted:

I used to be a Blender hater, because its interface was obnoxiously bad and byzantine, even compared to other 3D programs.

but they’ve improved it a lot (added Undo lol, made it left click to select, etc) and having watched that donut tutorial (plus others for stuff like fluid sim) I can make all kinds of hideous bullshit now

edit: that video where the guy takes an hour to show you how to model a sword, fix beginner mistakes, UV wrap it, etc, was really useful for seeing how someone who’s good at making models does it. especially the part where he has you do it like a beginner would and whoops! it’s all hosed up but then he shows you how to fix it

blenders interface didnt get better. you got smarter, op!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

echinopsis posted:

and for a while, 1,2,3 on the main keyboard switched between vert line and face in edit mode but now you have to hit ctrl tab first 🤷‍♂️

Pretty sure mine still does this by default :confused:

I don't know why clicking moves the 3D cursor though, that's insane to me. I can't imagine ever clicking into a 3D space and expecting the cursor to be right where I want it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i go into the key map, search for cursor and delete every entry relayed to the 3dcursor lol

maybe hardops changed my settings

it used to be ctrl tab would cycle thru the three

fart simpson posted:

blenders interface didnt get better. you got smarter, op!

yeah i’ll say lol!

there are some interface traps that may gently caress people over. and because of the flexibility of the interface, once people are good and start tuning it to what they do, well when i open other people’s blender files i’m always like what the gently caress are they thinking?

if you hit n or t (can never remember) when opening a blender file it’s bring up a tick box so you can turn off “load UI” and it lets you open a blender file into the UI that you’re comfortable with. my god it’s worthwhile

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

French Canadian posted:

Dang this thread made me wayback machine to my old highschool website and dig up some Rhino 1.0 NURBs and 3DS Max R3 renders.

oh man im going to see if i have my old stuff from bryce/infini-d/poser somewhere. i used to spend so many hours poking at things in those and making glassy glowy designs

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i saw a college selling spare stuff one time and bought an unopened bryce and an unopened poser with a 5 license pack and meant to flip them for cash since they were still relatively common for hobbyist users, but instead kept them as weird nostalgia items

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

if you hit n or t (can never remember) when opening a blender file it’s bring up a tick box so you can turn off “load UI” and it lets you open a blender file into the UI that you’re comfortable with. my god it’s worthwhile

oh man this is a great tip. i sometimes get totally lost and cant do anything when opening blend files i downloaded

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

merry xmas everyone i whipped up a crappy container ship in space

https://i.imgur.com/KWCoShY.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Long loooong ship

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

:choam:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god lol

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
what do I do if I want to make simple games with my 3D assets? like things that could run in a browser?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Neon Noodle posted:

what do I do if I want to make simple games with my 3D assets? like things that could run in a browser?

export in gltf and use three.js presumably.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neon Noodle posted:

keeping triangle count low. embrace the low poly
look.

do they need collision

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Merry Christmas!

(God my lighting sucks.)

EDIT: May as well post the tutorials I used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0JyyWeptSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8FawSveMYQ

EDIT: Made the pupil specular 0 by plugging the blue channel into a constant color ramp:

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 26, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im disturbed lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

left click to select is an abomination !

i remember reading a cg thread years ago when many maya etc users thought the only good thing about blender was that it had right click to select

i’m glad i got used to right click lol. and they when you start it up new you and choose old settings

how is doing the exact opposite of every UI convention ever re: left clicking to select make blender have a good UI?

quote:

left click to move the 3d cursor sucks.. i have left mouse button do nothing in the viewport, because lol I accidentally click the left mouse button kinda often what an idiot

the 3D cursor is stupid

quote:

what used to make blender poo poo was the way it dealt with data like textures etc. now that you can deal with textures in the shaders rather than the mostly deprecated textures tab it’s sooo much better

nah dude the whole UI was confusing as poo poo

echinopsis posted:

baking the UI prefs into the .blend file and then discarding the user's own UI prefs in favor of the ones in a .blend file is incredibly dumb and bad.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Doc Block posted:

the 3D cursor is stupid

:wrong:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

how is doing the exact opposite of every UI convention ever re: left clicking to select make blender have a good UI?

because left click to select has always been bad and blender was the only program with the balls to do it right, left click should be for everything else, because accidentally changing your selection is dumb. i see tho they caved to the maya crowd with stupid poo poo like alt and left click to rotate around or some poo poo.

quote:

nah dude the whole UI was confusing as poo poo

there used to be a much older ui that was well before i started getting the hang of it like 8 years ago or whenever. that was bad

but since then the UI hasn’t really changed. there’s just a lot to get a hang of and there’s no hand holding.

yeah they should hire some big guns ui people to try to make blender easier to use from the start but once
you know what you’re doing i don’t fine the ui gets in the way tooo much anyway. 3d software is always going to be a bit of a nightmare

quote:

baking the UI prefs into the .blend file and then discarding the user's own UI prefs in favor of the ones in a .blend file is incredibly dumb and bad.

maybe this is correct opinion

you can deselect “load ui” in the save & load menu in the prefs. BUT i’m not 100% sure if the prefs get loaded with the blend file or not or if just some do.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Doc Block posted:

the 3D cursor is stupid

1. You can switch it in options if you don't like it.
2. You can place the 3d cursor exactly where you want it using the view panel in the properties tab. Then use it as the origin point for transforms. This is a really flexible and cool feature.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

because left click to select has always been bad and blender was the only program with the balls to do it right, left click should be for everything else, because accidentally changing your selection is dumb. i see tho they caved to the maya crowd with stupid poo poo like alt and left click to rotate around or some poo poo.

who randomly left clicks for no reason? ;)

also, it’s still middle mouse button to rotate the view. maybe they added an extra way of doing it to be easier for people coming from other programs.

quote:

there used to be a much older ui that was well before i started getting the hang of it like 8 years ago or whenever. that was bad

but since then the UI hasn’t really changed. there’s just a lot to get a hang of and there’s no hand holding.

while it might not be hugely different in terms of what’s actually in there (object mode, edit mode, etc), the presentation and overall look & feel has improved significantly, especially in 2.8x and 2.9x. everything seems easier to find now, especially if you’re new.

quote:

maybe this is correct opinion

you can deselect “load ui” in the save & load menu in the prefs. BUT i’m not 100% sure if the prefs get loaded with the blend file or not or if just some do.

it makes sense that if somebody uses an add-on to make something and they haven’t baked/applied it and it’s required to even do the thing then Blender would enable that add-on when you open the .blend file.

but if Blender is also enabling UI add-ons they used while making it then just LOL 🤦‍♂️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jus a wee tip

you can type equations into any numerical entry box

instead of figuring out the math

just type 360/16

;)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://i.imgur.com/YtSCce2.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im charging up for the amberpos/greenpos wars

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Very nice detail on the back there. What did the UV map end up looking like? Or did you use object for the vector?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Very nice detail on the back there. What did the UV map end up looking like? Or did you use object for the vector?

uv maps were simple because all i really did was make a uv sphere, deformed the front for the lens, added an iris and pupil under the lens, and i found these images and used them as color and displacement maps:

https://imgur.com/a/K8yStBd

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i spent more time rigging the eyes with eyebones so that i could have a single point in 3d space that the eyes are "looking" at. i havent done much with rigging before

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
whoever makes a tool that will auto resolve the overlap issues etc from big fat dummy thicc bevels will make 1 million dollars

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Doc Block posted:

whoever makes a tool that will auto resolve the overlap issues etc from big fat dummy thicc bevels will make 1 million dollars

the overlap issues you're talking about are a fundamental geometric condition that can't be deterministically resolved.

just wait until you have to do it with curvature continuity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c01U8IBO2Lw

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
oh I know why the overlap happens, but if somebody ever figures out a way to have the edges smoosh up against each other instead of overlapping that’s Good Enough for 90% of overlap cases then I would be very happy right now 😜

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
most of it could be solved if you just ran a simulation
of “pretend to use a mill or router to cut this with a round edge tool”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kinda stupid that arri thinks for a second I can afford their gear

but regardless love the look of these wee cubes and half wanna recreate something similar with hard surface tools

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just as a curiosity, I did most of this in blender

https://giant.gfycat.com/BareEqualAmericanrobin.webm

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

echinopsis posted:

just as a curiosity, I did most of this in blender

https://giant.gfycat.com/BareEqualAmericanrobin.webm

Love the workflow shot :) Very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks mate

I use OBS, streaming software. makes screen capture or window capture so easy. could talk over it too. and then just upload the huge files to gfycat and post post post because data and bandwidth means nothing these days lol