Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

I walked out to go for a ride today only to find someone tried to drill my ignition key switch out. :suicide:

Oh well, it still starts.

Tried to drill? You must post photos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I will in the morning. There were plastic/metal drill curlies all over my tank when I found it.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

I will in the morning. There were plastic/metal drill curlies all over my tank when I found it.

Man that's just nasty. I don't get why someone would try and drill through as opposed to just chucking the bike on the back of an ute and driving off.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seriously, wtf. Take the drat thing, at least I get a new bike. (Probably supermoto or older Ducati Monster)

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
That's why I'm glad to have a tiny garage to park my bike in. Are you in an apartment?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I've been riding the old Vespa more than the KLR lately, and figured the KLR was feeling neglected, so I took it out for a ride. At the first light I gave it the same throttle position that I'd normally give the Vespa and lifted the front tire, whoops. First time for everything, I guess. I thought "Oh, yeah, this has a lot more power than I'm used to."

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xd posted:

That's why I'm glad to have a tiny garage to park my bike in. Are you in an apartment?

Yeah, the weird part is there are two GSXRs, a CBR, an R1, and a F4i all just in my area of the complex and none of them were touched. Then again, my bike is the only one that moves; the rest have layers upon layers of dust on them.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
can someone explain to me what a closed chain is? I can't figure it out

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SaucyPants posted:

It's a chain that's riveted together forming a loop. Since your swingarm passes through the center of said loop, installing a closed loop involves removing the swingarm.

With my daytona, I couldn't get the closed chain off of the swingarm, it was actually inside it, had to cut it off.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SaucyPants posted:

When you buy a replacement chain, it comes as a string. You have to either rivet it together or snap some plates forming another link.

You can also buy the chain as a loop, but then you have to take the swingarm off, because the loop of chain passes around the swingarm.

I guess it's down to whether you want to do more work and not buy any tools, or less work and buy one more specialized motorcycle-only tool.

Edit: Ergh. beaten. Badly. I should have hit refresh before submit. Oh well.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

BlackMK4 posted:

If I ever needed to leave my bike parked out in the open I would just daily drive a goddamn van and use that as a garage.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, the weird part is there are two GSXRs, a CBR, an R1, and a F4i all just in my area of the complex and none of them were touched. Then again, my bike is the only one that moves; the rest have layers upon layers of dust on them.

Oh hey, that's just the damage from a screwdriver. I don't see any of the characteristic cutting from a drill bit. I wonder if it's still possible to jimmy a lock with a screwdriver, or if modern metallurgy has progressed to the point where something breaks irreparably.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I figured it was a screwdriver but there were loving metal and plastic curlies all over my tank from a drill. :psyduck:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

If they passed up other bikes for yours, re-evaluate where you're parking it. There could be something about the spot that makes them feel less exposed to being spotted, like lower light or obscured view from the road.

Since they didn't succeed, it's also likely they were just practicing. My old car was parked overnight in DC once, and when I came out in the morning, it had been broken into a different way on each door. Sadly, most of those methods were destructive, like tearing off the side mirror and smashing a window.

Gotta learn somehow, I guess.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

I figured it was a screwdriver but there were loving metal and plastic curlies all over my tank from a drill. :psyduck:

What else is near the place that you park your bike at? Maybe they stole one bike and started on yours and gave up?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

BlackMK4 posted:

I "picked" up some new skills at a hacker conference and I now know how to pick locks, handcuffs, deadbopts, etc. A decent set of lockpicks cost me $25 and I am amazed at how easy it is to open up everything. Desk lock? 7 seconds. My gun safe? 12 seconds. My deadbolt? 10 seconds. Locks are stupid easy, motorcycle locks even more so. I'm surprised that they didn't get your lock open because all they needed to do was CENSORED and then poof, free bike! Thank god modern bikes have more safeguards.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Crayvex posted:

Thank god modern bikes have more safeguards.

Like being lighter, painted in bright colors and way more desirable!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

KARMA! posted:

Like being lighter, painted in bright colors and way more desirable!

I am referring to the ignition bypass systems that require an encoded "key" to start and run the bike. Nothing is fool proof, but what is easier? Jiggling a blank in a lock, starting the bike and riding off or getting a van/truck/whatever and muscling it away?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
That's why you do things to make it hilariously inconvenient for thieves. Like Fahgettaboutit-chaining two bikes together via rear wheels and putting them in an enclosed carport that has an exit the width of a single bike. Or letting a SV650 with a bad R/R sit around waiting for someone to take it and surprise themselves when they're stranded a day later from riding it around.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Test drove a CBR250R after not having ridden a motorcycle for five years. (Owned an 84 VF500 for four years, and an old Yamaha 250 thumper I pulled out of a barn for two before that.)

God, that thing is a ton of fun. If it had ABS I would have purchased it right there, but instead I'm stuck searching for one with it.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

the walkin dude posted:

That's why you do things to make it hilariously inconvenient for thieves. Like Fahgettaboutit-chaining two bikes together via rear wheels and putting them in an enclosed carport that has an exit the width of a single bike. Or letting a SV650 with a bad R/R sit around waiting for someone to take it and surprise themselves when they're stranded a day later from riding it around.

My coworker told me about how his friend in the south chained his busa on his porch near his window. Apparently, he's a heavy sleeper because they came in the middle of the night and stole it.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

BlackMK4 posted:

Have you considered a cover and a disc lock? If you have other bikes around that may make yours not worth the effort.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

CheeseSpawn posted:

My coworker told me about how his friend in the south chained his busa on his porch near his window. Apparently, he's a heavy sleeper because they came in the middle of the night and stole it.

Did he chain it to something? A wooden post that is easily sliced through?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

BlackMK4 posted:

These weren't bike thieves, they were metal thieves. Why, those shavings alone are worth 17 cents! Only six more bikes stand between him and a bottle of Thunderbird. God help us if they figure out how to remove gas tanks without setting themselves on fire. This I know: if you, the actual owner, go out there at night to install/adjust/check something, THE POLICE WILL CATCH YOU.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Marv Hushman posted:

These weren't bike thieves, they were metal thieves.

*bike won't crank in the morning*
*entire wiring harness has gone missing*

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

the walkin dude posted:

Did he chain it to something? A wooden post that is easily sliced through?

Yes but they brought heavy duty bolt cutters so I guess the chain is moot. His point was to me, if you leave it out in plain sight and someone wants it, they'll take it. His friend got a tool shed and sticks his bike in that now.

Of course this doesnt help anyone because most people with houses have a garage. I guess this is for those with those older houses.

Huge McPunch
Aug 6, 2011

by angerbeet

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, the weird part is there are two GSXRs, a CBR, an R1, and a F4i all just in my area of the complex and none of them were touched.

Those fuckers rarely steal bikes to drive them. They need parts for their own bike or some of their friends need parts for theirs. Stolen bikes almost never appear again.

Last time one of my bikes was stolen I only recovered some of my loss because it had a unique cylinder and a handmade exhaust. I found them on two different bikes. Cost one of the morons some jail time and the other a broken nose.

I'm afraid that the best theft protection is a sticker near your ignition lock and one on your chain lock stating that "All my parts are marked and/or unique".

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you have a bike that's likely to be a theft target (600 and 1000 Japanese sports, I'm looking at you) I'd say your best bet is getting good insurance.

Then you'll secretly wait in anticipation for the day you come out to an empty parking spot, knowing you can use the insurance money for a Supermoto, because you're too lazy to sell your bike. I think insurance thinks mine is worth more than the market says, too.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

nsaP posted:

If you have a bike that's likely to be a theft target (600 and 1000 Japanese sports, I'm looking at you) I'd say your best bet is getting good insurance.

Then you'll secretly wait in anticipation for the day you come out to an empty parking spot, knowing you can use the insurance money for a Supermoto, because you're too lazy to sell your bike. I think insurance thinks mine is worth more than the market says, too.

Exactly. You can take all the preventive measures that you want, but if a thief really wants it they'll get it. I know one day I'll walk out and my ZX6R will be gone, but I paid much less than what the insurance company is willing to pay me if it gets stolen, so whatever. Stupid condos with no garages, but at least you can literally see the police station from my front porch.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CheeseSpawn posted:

Yes but they brought heavy duty bolt cutters so I guess the chain is moot.

Heavy-gauge steel wire is much safer than chains. You need a bolt cutter that's still factory sharp, a dedicated wire cutter or an angle grinder to cut a wire lock.

Apart from that, using a chain or wire lock is absolutely useless unless you actually chain the bike to something that's heavy as gently caress or embedded in the ground. The primary way of stealing any bike will always be two strong dudes and a van.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Huge McPunch posted:

Stolen bikes almost never appear again.

I wonder if a single bike has ever been recovered by the police via an active investigation in all of recorded history. I think they're about eight priority levels beneath cats in trees and genital-themed graffiti.

Huge McPunch posted:

I'm afraid that the best theft protection is a sticker near your ignition lock and one on your chain lock stating that "All my parts are marked and/or unique".

The Smith & Wesson wristwatch wrapped around my handlebar has been either an effective deterrent or a good luck charm, I really don't care which.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Test drove a CBR250R after not having ridden a motorcycle for five years. (Owned an 84 VF500 for four years, and an old Yamaha 250 thumper I pulled out of a barn for two before that.)

God, that thing is a ton of fun. If it had ABS I would have purchased it right there, but instead I'm stuck searching for one with it.

Got to see a CBR250R in person today, they are a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Still want one for an everyday bike.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
I just want to vent, but my friends can't ride for poo poo and don't wear gear and don't know what they're talking about and oh god loving squids.

The first, a fairly good friend, bought a ZX6R with a ridiculously large back sprocket and lowered to the point my knees were bent sitting on it, and I'm not a tall guy. The thing was like a scooter. After a test ride and negotiations (which I had to do), he bought it. This was with the linkages and original sprocket to fix this abomination, but the kid still hasn't reverted it to something ridable, so he's got this quite nice sportbike that corners like a Cadillac with bizarre gear ratios and squared off tires. His first wreck (<1000 miles and mostly freeway) was almost assuredly due to him actually trying to put some lean on it and finding out there's none to be had.

Another has a pretty much stock 500R, and I haven't had the dubious pleasure to ride with him yet, but his tires are a nightmare. He's honestly right before the wires are poking out and they're cracking from UV/age.

Both of these were the fault of myself and Door #3, a Gixxer kid who wrecked his first bike, a liter bike of course, and skinned himself half to death, pinched a disk, and sold his bike.

None of them know the first thing about what the gently caress they're talking about, and by god they're vocal

I'm not the best rider nor the most knowledgeable, I'll admit, but I think I'm done with these people. They don't listen and they're going to hurt themselves. The single light in this tunnel of asses is that when they finally injure themselves to the point they sell their bike my roommate can get it at a good price.

Short: My friends are squids and I hate them.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Protip: as an adult, you can decide to not be friends anymore. :)

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
They're standup guys otherwise, but when it comes to bikes...:eng99:

Bixington fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 12, 2011

Huge McPunch
Aug 6, 2011

by angerbeet

KozmoNaut posted:

Heavy-gauge steel wire is much safer than chains. You need a bolt cutter that's still factory sharp, a dedicated wire cutter or an angle grinder to cut a wire lock.

Apart from that, using a chain or wire lock is absolutely useless unless you actually chain the bike to something that's heavy as gently caress or embedded in the ground. The primary way of stealing any bike will always be two strong dudes and a van.

Correct. That's assuming that scumbags that steal bikes are unprepared.

I've seen a street light pole cut to steal a bike because that apparently was easier than cutting the heavy duty wire lock on the bike before lifting it on a trailer.

No bike is safe today. Li-ion battery driven angle grinders killed that.

All you can do is making it time consuming to steal your bike.

A Kryptonite brake rotor lock used on the rear brake is a major pain in the rear end for most thieves. It's hard to cut and makes it difficult to manipulate the bike onto a trailer. It's also much less weight to travel with than a wire lock.

Huge McPunch fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 13, 2011

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I dunno, 4 or 5 big dudes rolling up and grabbing your bike means you aren't really safe even with a rotor lock. Comprehensive insurance is your best bet really. It's only a few dollars more a month and covers you in the event of some idiot running off with your bike.

Huge McPunch
Aug 6, 2011

by angerbeet

JP Money posted:

I dunno, 4 or 5 big dudes rolling up and grabbing your bike means you aren't really safe even with a rotor lock. Comprehensive insurance is your best bet really. It's only a few dollars more a month and covers you in the event of some idiot running off with your bike.

Still, a rotor lock is your best bet for a few minutes to notice what's going on and get your baseball bat or shotgun - depending on where you live.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Huge McPunch posted:

Still, a rotor lock is your best bet for a few minutes to notice what's going on and get your baseball bat or shotgun - depending on where you live.

Pair one of those proximity alarms with a presighted in rifle. Problem solved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Adjust your life ambitions to include safe bike parking.