Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

delpheye posted:

I'm curious about opinions on mouthguards. I don't know anyone that wears them because you can't talk for poo poo, but in the back of my head I feel like I should. I have to find one that doesn't impede my ability to yell at wingers when they get out of position. I took a weak, poorly aimed slapshot to the chin a couple of months ago and it split open pretty good and I decided that maybe a mouthguard would be a good idea.

Pretty much everyone on my team wears one, I think only the cage guys don't and our one token guy that wears the absolute minimum of equipment.

I don't find talking on the ice to be bad because all your really saying is easy stuff like "switch back" or "center!" and "high slot." I pop it out on the bench and put it in my glove or hold it until I'm near jumping out again.

But go to an orthodontist and have one made there, they are only a few dollars more then the over the shelf ones and a lot thinner, and more comfortable. You'll probably get dry mouth like crazy but it goes away after a game or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
So looks like the MLX has finally moved to Easton and is coming out soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NfzxJa9_0

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn that's an ugly skate.. they should have kept the MLX look. Easton made it look like something spiderman would wear.

That said, if I ever turn into an idiot and buy a pro skate, that's what I want it to be. Hopefully Easton doesn't ruin the reputation that MLX built up.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Topoisomerase posted:

Being confident on all 4 of your edges and learning how to get the most power out of your strides are definitely the cornerstones of improving your game, bar none.

That being said, make sure you try to work with a puck while on your skates once you are really comfortable with the edges. I'm the kind of idiot who grew up on an ice rink basically, did power skating lessons, was a skate guard and went to public sessions all the time and it was fine when I was practicing hockey and playing games with my teams up until college and then after I graduated and didn't play for a good year or two my skating confidence and ability came back uber quick but man did my confidence with the puck and my shot completely loving blow. It has taken actually a lot of discipline for me to go to a stick and puck and actually stickhandle and shoot instead of just skating around and doing edgework the whole time. :hurr:

Yeah, my puck handling and shot pretty my died when I took this three year break, but they're starting to come back slowly.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I knew this was coming.

ESPN posted:

EDMONTON, Alberta -- A member of the Canadian parliament says the Stanley Cup should be awarded to an amateur team if the NHL labor fight isn't settled in time to save the season.

Brent Rathgeber suggests the cup could be the prize in a national competition to determine the best non-pro team in Canada.

A group of recreational players made a similar suggestion during the 2004-05 lockout, when they argued in court that Lord Stanley's cup wasn't the exclusive property of the NHL.

An out-of-court settlement back then said the cup's trustees have the option -- but not the obligation -- of awarding the prize to another team if there is no NHL champion.

Writing on his blog, Rathgeber points out the trustees' original purpose was to promote amateur hockey in Canada.

:getin:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

xzzy posted:

Goddamn that's an ugly skate.. they should have kept the MLX look.

Do you have broken eyes? The MLX skate looks terrible. It's out of proportion like it was drawn by a 3rd grader.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But at least it's not CARBON FIBRE EVERYWHERE. The colors at least look like a hockey skate should.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Had our last game of the year last night. We lost 7-4. The other team was stacked with ringers which is really annoying, but we were holding our own until the 3rd when half the team decided that fighting for pucks and skating hard was too much work. It's so irritating to be out there trying to improve and, equally importantly, win when there are people who are perfectly ok with being skate runners. I'm not the strongest skater ever, but there's something to be said about someone who thinks wide arcing turns are a perfectly reasonable way to transition from fore to backcheck.

They did some division re-aligning so we play teams from our rink as well as one across town. This is pretty cool because it allows for legit home and away games, but the teams from across town are head and shoulders better than we are.

Who told people that yelling at teammates on the bench is any way to improve?

I can't wait until we start dropping boat anchors from the roster.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

delpheye posted:

there's something to be said about someone who thinks wide arcing turns are a perfectly reasonable way to transition from fore to backcheck.

...:smith:

Look, I just wanna say that I loving suck at crossovers. A lot. I work on them, but I still loving suck at them. A lot of times in games I'll turn as tight as I can on a transition to get back to the backcheck. Sometimes I'll be in a position where I was planning on changing up, and I'm all like "fukkkkk" and have to rush back all gassed to help on D.

I don't know what division you play in, so maybe "wide arching turns" is unacceptable at your level. I'm just trying to say that some of those guys may really be trying their best.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The appropriate way to transition from fore to backcheck is to stop and quick start in the opposite direction. No crossovers required :eng101:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

The appropriate way to transition from fore to backcheck is to stop and quick start in the opposite direction. No crossovers required :eng101:

But that's a lot of wasted energy. :qq:

Though it is what I typically do because I'm still pretty bad at carrying momentum through a tight turn.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

This is true. Unless you can get around in a tight enough circle and maintain more speed than if you'd just stopped and sprinted back.

In my mind, you should be gassed at the end of every shift.

JetsGuy posted:

...:smith:

Look, I just wanna say that I loving suck at crossovers. A lot. I work on them, but I still loving suck at them. A lot of times in games I'll turn as tight as I can on a transition to get back to the backcheck. Sometimes I'll be in a position where I was planning on changing up, and I'm all like "fukkkkk" and have to rush back all gassed to help on D.

I don't know what division you play in, so maybe "wide arching turns" is unacceptable at your level. I'm just trying to say that some of those guys may really be trying their best.

Working on them is good enough! No one became a perfect skater overnight, and I'm still terrible at a lot of things. Backwards crossovers put me on my rear end. I still have a tendency to sometimes lock my inside leg on forward crossovers.

I play in D1. The guys doing this have all been playing hockey for at least 5 years. I know this because I've been playing with and against them for that long, either on ice or inline. Lots of dudes playing hockey will refuse to accept that they could get better and instead reply based on the one strength they have, which is almost always straight line racing.

Maybe I'm overly competitive, but so is more than half my team so it works out. We're looking to replace some people now due to laziness. Anyone in DFW want to come skate?

delpheye fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 20, 2012

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Finally got the Hockey North America beginner's league email today. First meeting is Jan 3rd.

I'm so excited.

Let's hope nothing falls through!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

delpheye posted:

This is true. Unless you can get around in a tight enough circle and maintain more speed than if you'd just stopped and sprinted back.

In my mind, you should be gassed at the end of every shift.

Working on them is good enough! No one became a perfect skater overnight, and I'm still terrible at a lot of things. Backwards crossovers put me on my rear end. I still have a tendency to sometimes lock my inside leg on forward crossovers.

I play in D1. The guys doing this have all been playing hockey for at least 5 years. I know this because I've been playing with and against them for that long, either on ice or inline. Lots of dudes playing hockey will refuse to accept that they could get better and instead reply based on the one strength they have, which is almost always straight line racing.

Maybe I'm overly competitive, but so is more than half my team so it works out. We're looking to replace some people now due to laziness. Anyone in DFW want to come skate?

1) I envy you so much living in DFW :allears:

2) I envy you even more being good enough to play D1.

3) You're not overly competitive if you expect D1 guys to make good transitions.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

1) I envy you so much living in DFW :allears:

2) I envy you even more being good enough to play D1.

3) You're not overly competitive if you expect D1 guys to make good transitions.

I'm too dumb to tell if this is sarcasm. No one has every said they envy me for living in Dallas. I love it, but no one else seems to. haha. If it's not. Thanks. :tipshat:

I love pickup but I hate the people that treat it like some kind of serious game and get butthurt when I'm trying new poo poo.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

delpheye posted:

I'm too dumb to tell if this is sarcasm. No one has every said they envy me for living in Dallas. I love it, but no one else seems to. haha. If it's not. Thanks. :tipshat:

I love pickup but I hate the people that treat it like some kind of serious game and get butthurt when I'm trying new poo poo.

I'm not kidding at all. I made a hard push to get with one of the DC's in the metroplex after I got my PhD. I failed. Part of it is I like the area, and another part of it is I've *always* had a weakness of TX women. Always.

I completely understand that on SA its easy to assume people are just going LOL TEXAS. I'm not. :)

With the caveat of saying I've only visited both cities, I'll say I prefer FTW, but I'd settle for either. I almost got a job with Raytheon in Plano... almost.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

What a night.

Subbed in for a team with a short bench, we ended up with seven skaters. The other team had nine and they were expecting a tenth. Instead of just lending us one of their skaters, they said we could have their tenth when she got there. Well the tenth never showed up, so we played nine on seven. You wanna talk about being gassed by the end of the game? I started the third with a six-minute shift.

Did I mention that this was after I got clocked in the temple at work first thing this AM? Yeah. It really didn't seem bad when it happened so I just kept on working. By the end of the day I felt fine, my head didn't hurt and I didn't have any symptoms that would indicate anything serious so I just decided "gently caress it, I'm in" when I got the call to go play. I played decently well and I didn't take any bad hits, but by the last three minutes of the game the whole side of my head felt like it was going to explode and I couldn't talk right when the game was over. Don't think that's a risk I'll be taking again. I figure I got lucky this one time, probably won't be so lucky a second time.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 22, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

delpheye posted:

I learned to play in Dallas when the Stars first came into town. The SW Bell HS hockey league + all of those rinks (if they're still open) made it a decent hockey community, really. The rest of it is, well, "not my thing".

But D1 there is only players who have played 5 years and longer? Or is the league structure different there?

Just kind of confused how there isnt a level or 2 composed of ex juniors/semi pro/college bad asses?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

I learned to play in Dallas when the Stars first came into town. The SW Bell HS hockey league + all of those rinks (if they're still open) made it a decent hockey community, really. The rest of it is, well, "not my thing".

But D1 there is only players who have played 5 years and longer? Or is the league structure different there?

Just kind of confused how there isnt a level or 2 composed of ex juniors/semi pro/college bad asses?

In my league, D1 is really good skaters, like mostly college players and some ex-pros. I don't know of any guys who started as adults and made it to D1, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. We have a league above D1, which we call "premiere". The difference between D1 and premiere, as it has been explained to me, is just the level of "seriousness".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So they have servants pour them shots of whiskey in the locker room instead of pulling a can of beer out of a cooler?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

In my league, D1 is really good skaters, like mostly college players and some ex-pros. I don't know of any guys who started as adults and made it to D1, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. We have a league above D1, which we call "premiere". The difference between D1 and premiere, as it has been explained to me, is just the level of "seriousness".

Beer league level names are so arbitrary it kills me. It seems like youth hockey has a ridiculous level of specificity with regard to where an individual stacks up, "Oh, I played Midget Major AAA" or whatever. And you know almost exactly how good a player is. Whereas in beer league, D1 means you are either absolutely awful at hockey, or you almost went pro. There's no rhyme or reason, which sucks when you're trying to evaluate a potential new player.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The rink I go to ranks the good players as "B" players, and everyone else is "C".

Why use standard titles when you can make your own!

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Dangerllama posted:

Beer league level names are so arbitrary it kills me. It seems like youth hockey has a ridiculous level of specificity with regard to where an individual stacks up, "Oh, I played Midget Major AAA" or whatever. And you know almost exactly how good a player is. Whereas in beer league, D1 means you are either absolutely awful at hockey, or you almost went pro. There's no rhyme or reason, which sucks when you're trying to evaluate a potential new player.
The rink my team plays at only has one division, so we all just say we're top division talent.8)

Meanwhile we have interleague games with another league, and my team faces their D3 level teams, which is the lowest rung of about 15 divisions they have.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Merry Christmas, hockey-playing goons. Hope you all get hockey gear from Santa.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Merry Christmas, hockey-playing goons. Hope you all get hockey gear from Santa.

Santa bought me new goal skates. He also took $230 out of my bank account.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i got a puck bag!!!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Santa brought me a equipment dryer that will hopefully be very useful for both myself and my wife

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ya, that thing works p. drat well.

The key is to load your gear in, zip it closed and then make sure that the bottom is firmly around the base of the fan. It will pull up when you load the gear and you'll have to reseat it.

You know that it fully around the base when it inflates slightly like a pillow.

It has made my bathroom where I keep my gear go from *barf noise* to "tolerable" according to my fiancé

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I got a Firstar practice jersey ( http://www.hockeymonkey.com/firstar-league-jerseys.html ), hockey socks and a load of tape, so I got that going for me. Very happy and the jersey is really nice!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Santa brought me new hockey socks and stick tape. I guess he got the message that I already bought myself a stick I could ill afford.

Hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No hockey stuff, but I did get a pile 'o workout clothes, which are arguably just as important. :downs:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Looks like HockeyMonkey put a ton more sticks on clearance. A ton more availability for Warrior at least than Hockeygiant or Icewarehouse

I'm gonna give the Warrior Widow SE a try -- Zetterberg pattern and with a coupon and some credit I got it close enough to my limit. First time straying from Easton so we'll see.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

sellouts posted:

Some of the rinks have closed, but a couple new ones have opened. Like the one in Duncanville closed, and if you're familiar with the demographic around there it's not surprising. It's a basketball complex now. New rinks in Frisco, McKinney, and Allen are all StarCenters, so plenty of league play.

As for playing in D1.. the division structure goes: A, B, C, D, I(instructional), with each division split up, roughly by skill level, into however many subdivisions there should be. A/B are basically former junior/college folks with spillover to C where guys are either naturally gifted or all around athletic, and some trickle down into D where they're considered ringers because there isn't a lot of middle ground between "being able to go coast to coast" and "clear it to the other end regardless of who is standing 2ft in front of the puck."

So I play in D1 which is:
1. dudes who picked up the game as an adult
2. people like me that started playing in high school but before there was any kind of support or rink availability or coaches or anything
3. kids who managed to get on a HS team but didn't go further and are now 18+
4. sandbaggers

Teams generally have at least 1 of each type of player on their team. My team is 100% 2 and 3. It's a mixed bag because a lot of guys really excelled at inline(when that was all there really was) and managed to play competitively in leagues and tournaments for years. These guys feel confident on wheels and that confidence translated to the ice, but the skillset did not.

sellouts posted:

Looks like HockeyMonkey put a ton more sticks on clearance. A ton more availability for Warrior at least than Hockeygiant or Icewarehouse

I'm gonna give the Warrior Widow SE a try -- Zetterberg pattern and with a coupon and some credit I got it close enough to my limit. First time straying from Easton so we'll see.

Oh man. If I hadn't just bought a bunch of rebook 7k shafts and deadstock Modano blades I'd be all over that Warrior stick. Zetterberg/Modano pattern is my favorite ever. If you hate it, PM me and maybe I can have another new stick. haha

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nope I love zetterberg pattern, the one I lost was a Hall pattern which sucked. Haha. If I like this one a bunch I might go pick up a few more. Need to get it in and go find some pickup to try it out.

I thought D was short for division, got it now, thanks!

And that's a shame that Duncanville closed. It makes sense that it did but I remembered when it opened. Fun times. I remember the boards being really stiff compared to valley ranch and reunion arena.

Is the rink in Plano still open? I remember playing at one during high school that cut the ice after the second period as well as after the game. Really cool.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

sellouts posted:

Nope I love zetterberg pattern, the one I lost was a Hall pattern which sucked. Haha. If I like this one a bunch I might go pick up a few more. Need to get it in and go find some pickup to try it out.

I thought D was short for division, got it now, thanks!

And that's a shame that Duncanville closed. It makes sense that it did but I remembered when it opened. Fun times. I remember the boards being really stiff compared to valley ranch and reunion arena.

Is the rink in Plano still open? I remember playing at one during high school that cut the ice after the second period as well as after the game. Really cool.

Reunion Arena.. doesn't even exist anymore. haha. There is still a rink in Plano. Given the Reunion reference you're thinking of Icebound, with the NA vs World rinks and locker rooms? It's a Starcenter now. They just redid the ice because someone did some.. "thing" and it started cracking down to the concrete.

I don't think any rinks around here cut ice during games anymore. I'm sure it's a cost thing.

The state of rink management around here is completely hosed up and if it weren't for the fact that I'd likely shoot myself in the leg over it, I'd straighten it out. I've always wondered if other leagues were as hosed up as ours is. Can't take money, can't associate it with players properly, no idea who is on what roster, blah blah blah.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I got hockey socks and Bauer 4-roll pros from Santa. The gloves are way nicer than my busted cheapo Eastons

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I know reunion is gone. So is valley ranch starscenter I think. Bummers because those had my favorite boards ever. Bad ice, great boards.

I remember ice o plex in Addison. Had 1 rink and a small rink called the deuce. The Plano NA vs World sounds familiar but yeah, I think i remember hearing that it became a starscenter. Cool rink though. I think it had an Olympic sheet too.

And rink management sounds par for the course everywhere.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane with Dallas hockey.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Does wearing a white helmet make you an rear end in a top hat? The answer is important because I want to buy a new helmet but I am super vain.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are no documented cases of white plastic triggering transmogrification.. be it a sphincter or anything else.

So wear whatever lid suits your fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

xzzy posted:

There are no documented cases of white plastic triggering transmogrification.. be it a sphincter or anything else.

So wear whatever lid suits your fancy.

But what if I want to wear a black and yellow striped helmet with a mirror visor?