Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

randyest posted:

Maybe a dev can pipe up and confirm but it seems hard to believe an app developer wouldn't include an option to do whatever via celldata if it were possible to do so. What's the downside for anyone other than the carriers?

The only downside, and I would imagine the one they're considering, is the whole "I blew through my monthly data in an hour using your app!!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rick Rickshaw posted:

The only downside, and I would imagine the one they're considering, is the whole "I blew through my monthly data in an hour using your app!!!!!!"
An option set to off by default would handle that, or am I overestimating the IQ of the average app reviewer?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

randyest posted:

An option set to off by default would handle that, or am I overestimating the IQ of the average app reviewer?

The IQ of an app reviewer is around the same as that of a YouTube commenter.

Draw your own conclusions.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

randyest posted:

Apparently, you are overestimating the IQ of the average app user/reviewer, because the Amazon Instant Video app definitely does not allow streaming over data...

http://www.macworld.com/article/2033635/review-amazon-instant-video-for-ios-marred-by-wi-fi-only-streaming-and-no-airplay.html
(Somewhat outdated review)

quote:

Bottom line
Amazon Instant Video is a great option for those who like streaming older content or watching video they’ve purchased via Amazon.com. Unfortunately, it’s somewhat restricted in both its AirPlay and purchasing implementations, thanks to the studios and Apple, respectively. And unlike iTunes and Netflix, it lacks an option for streaming or downloading over 3G or LTE.

It makes no sense, and like I said—I have to resort to jailbreaking the device when that's the only feature I want...

Edit: I mean, I can stream video on a larger device when I have wifi. I only stream video on my phone at work (basically background noise), where I don't exactly want to use the company wifi to do so.

Cranbe fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 26, 2013

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

Anyone know an independent tether app, paid or unpaid, that doesn't need a jailbreak? That's really the only thing I jail break for since iOS7 addressed all my previous issues.

http://tether.com/

No jailbreak required.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
e: fixed

teknetik fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 26, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

teknetik posted:

Got stuck on the apple logo. Put it into DFU, restored, and got an error message telling me there was an error and the ipad couldn't be restored. Any ideas?

Totally anecdotal, but I had to try the restore about 4 times on my iPhone 4S before it actually completed. Try it a few more times and see how far it gets?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Totally anecdotal, but I had to try the restore about 4 times on my iPhone 4S before it actually completed. Try it a few more times and see how far it gets?

Actually the same thing happened to me. Just keep trying, eventually it worked for me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

randyest posted:

Maybe a dev can pipe up and confirm but it seems hard to believe an app developer wouldn't include an option to do whatever via celldata if it were possible to do so. What's the downside for anyone other than the carriers?

I can't speak for anything other than multimedia over cellular, but I do know that Apple has restrictions on bandwidth and protocol of streaming media over cellular connections.

The Apple Developer Site posted:

If your app delivers video over cellular networks, and the video exceeds either 10 minutes duration or 5 MB of data in a five minute period, you are required to use HTTP Live Streaming. (Progressive download may be used for smaller clips.)

If your app uses HTTP Live Streaming over cellular networks, you are required to provide at least one stream at 64 Kbps or lower bandwidth (the low-bandwidth stream may be audio-only or audio with a still image).

HTTP Live Streaming is an Apple-designed protocol designed to be adaptive to conditions and allow you to jump from one bitrate to another depending upon how good or crappy your cellular link is.

I imagine if you don't want to or cannot support HTTP Live Streaming server-side, your only alternative is to just not support video over cellular or risk an App Store rejection.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 26, 2013

ickna
May 19, 2004

Cydia just updated, finally does landscape mode and has the ios7 ui widgets.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:

randyest posted:

I like to think they do that so they won't get blamed for people using massive amounts of data. Like if a child makes it use cellular data when you are on a limited data plan and goes over it

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

ickna posted:

So is mobile substrate working properly again?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ickna posted:

1.1.9 has been out for over a day now, are you seeing a newer release?

nrr posted:

So is mobile substrate working properly again?

Not yet

ickna
May 19, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

1.1.9 has been out for over a day now, are you seeing a newer release?

Not yet

I jail broke two devices this morning, and it was showing ios6 ui elements in Cydia. then while doing my new mini this afternoon it pushed two "essential" updates while I was adding repos. Pulled it up on my phone and it pushed them there too. The version still shows 1.1.9 though, so maybe it was just a cosmetic update.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I think Saurik said the Cydia update a day ago was just for bare minimum ios7 support so that the masses can at least have that while he works on fixing Mobile Substrate.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Turning on increase contrast has made my phone ALOT more stable post jailbreak (4s).

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What's the fix that keeps inactive apps in memory instead of the limited 10-15 minutes window?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I think you're talking about backgrounder, but if I remember right that doesn't work on iOS6+.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
I'm running a 4S on an old Jailbreak and never bothered to upgrade to 7.

Ive got a few dozens texts on my phone that are crucial to keep. If I backup my jailbroken phone via itunes, and go to a stock install of ios7, will I be able to restore those texts?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Midnight- posted:

I'm running a 4S on an old Jailbreak and never bothered to upgrade to 7.

Ive got a few dozens texts on my phone that are crucial to keep. If I backup my jailbroken phone via itunes, and go to a stock install of ios7, will I be able to restore those texts?

This was my exact situation and after backing up, wiping the phone, upgrading to 7, and restoring, my texts are intact.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Bouchacha posted:

What's the fix that keeps inactive apps in memory instead of the limited 10-15 minutes window?

Background Manager. That paired with Insomnia will let those apps run with your screen locked.

Not on Ios7 yet though :(

Hamburlgar fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 27, 2013

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, I have 7.0.0, safe to jailbreak? The notification center of regular iOS7 is killing me and I'm missing stuff because of it. LockInfo is a million times better.

Should I wait for any additional updates?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

89 posted:

So, I have 7.0.0, safe to jailbreak? The notification center of regular iOS7 is killing me and I'm missing stuff because of it. LockInfo is a million times better.

You should update to 7.0.4 first unless you have some personal reason not to.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
/\This/\

89 posted:

It should work but why the hell are you still on 7.0.0?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Chinook posted:

This was my exact situation and after backing up, wiping the phone, upgrading to 7, and restoring, my texts are intact.

I had a text I was still typing saved. I went to the message and it was blinking the cursor. I was impressed.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

ultramiraculous posted:

/\This/\

It should work but why the hell are you still on 7.0.0?

I wasn't aware anything above 7.0 was anything significant..

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

89 posted:

If you might be stuck on a version for a while waiting for the next jailbreakable release, don't you want the latest version you can get?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

89 posted:

Minor releases are actually usually very significant because they fix bugs that the major release created - bugs that couldn't wait to be squashed until the next major release.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

A while back someone posted a free app that will show you your battery condition and power cycles but I've lost it since restoring, anyone have an idea of what it was called?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

A while back someone posted a free app that will show you your battery condition and power cycles but I've lost it since restoring, anyone have an idea of what it was called?

Battery Doctor Pro?

Btw it's not ready for the most recent JB.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

New evasi0n upgrade is out through cydia

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Does this include substrate?

Edit: It does not. Is there any reason for the casual JB user to break now, or should I just sit and wait for a complete tool to be released? What sort of visual tweaks can I even use? 7 is such a leap visually from 6, I'm not even sure what exactly I'd want to modify.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 28, 2013

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

There's no harm in jailbreaking right now but don't expect doing much with it until Saurik fixes MobileSubstrate and some of the basic utilities like iFile are updated to support iOS 7. Sure you'll have Cydia, but there won't be much else to install for the time being.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
f.lux works, swipeselection works, and iFile sorta works, that's enough reason to jailbreak for now.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
At least update to 7.0.4 now, just in case Apple pushes a quick release of 7.0.5 and closes the singing window for 7.0.4.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I mostly jailbroke for emulators, and they work, at least snes9x.

Btstack only sorta works though, turning it on resprings (but works after) kills itself from notification center, somehow makes my wallpaper vanish and only lets me turn it back off by reinstalling.

So pain in the rear end to use a wiimote or anything.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

iOS7 version of BiteSMS beta is out

Seems like there's an issue with licensing. I had to manually re-activate mine by entering the paypal email I paid with and the last 4 digits of my Invoice # on the "Need Help?" screen of the purchase page.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Kazy posted:

iOS7 version of BiteSMS beta is out

Seems like there's an issue with licensing. I had to manually re-activate mine by entering the paypal email I paid with and the last 4 digits of my Invoice # on the "Need Help?" screen of the purchase page.

Not for iPhone 5S -- so I guess I'll just keep holding out on JB.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Not for iPhone 5S -- so I guess I'll just keep holding out on JB.

Almost nothing works with the 5S/new iPads. Ugh.

Stupid 64 bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Jailbreak your iPhone while you can! I don't understand the grief over the 5S not having anything yet and most things not updated for iOS7, but then I remember most people are impatient and feel entitled to this type of thing. It's really sad and very pathetic.

Oh, and take this with a grain of salt, but MS will be updated in two days!

• Locked thread