Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GORDON posted:

SO how long can chicks survive in the mail?

I had some shipped overnight yesterday from My Pet Chicken and they have sat in the Cleveland hub of the post office for over 24 hours, now. Earliest they will possibly arrive at this point is tomorrow. Can day old chicks last 2 or 3 days in the mail?

Post office called me this morning at 6am , they had a box with my phone number on it peeping at them.

I had to teach them how to eat this morning.

I estimate they spent 40 hours in a box in the mail, to answer my own question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
really relieved to hear it, i was like :ohdear: when i saw your first post but didn't want to make grave predictions. glad the chicks are okay!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Avshalom posted:

really relieved to hear it, i was like :ohdear: when i saw your first post but didn't want to make grave predictions. glad the chicks are okay!

A couple of them looked a little woozy on their feet under the heat lamp... wasn't sure if weak from hunger, or just super cold and falling asleep in the warmth.

I put a little saucer in there with starter food on it, and tapped it with my fingernail, mimicking a pecking-motion. They figured that out fast. I'm totes a chicken whisperer.

I haven't gotten them to drink from the dish, though. I assume if they were thirsty they would smell the water and understand?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
try gently dipping the tip of a beak into the water. they'll automatically sip it up and know what to do from there. usually they all start doing it once the first one does, but given that they're probably dehydrated you might want to show them all individually (unless you bought like 600 at once or something)

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Nah just 6, to be added to the 3 adults I already have, later.

They appear to be logy from the first feast of their lives. I'll jam their faces in water a little bit later. :-D

Chicken waterboarding. And I thought today might be dull.

edit - The food saucer I used had "The Avengers" on it. Not sure of the ramifications of making them fans of Marvel Movies at such a young age.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

GORDON posted:

edit - The food saucer I used had "The Avengers" on it. Not sure of the ramifications of making them fans of Marvel Movies at such a young age.

I'm for it.

You might want to make some electrolyte solution to put in their water for a day or so. Sounds like they might benefit from it. Alternately some unflavored/unsweetened Pedialyte should work.

Glad they made it OK!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
If you want to go all hippie about it you could put garlic and or ginger in there to sit in it and add *nutrients* to their water. Actually, you might want to do this only if you can find a way to let it sit in their water but not let them be able to eat it, as straight garlic/ginger might be a bit much for their teeny weeny guts.

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 17, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:toot: freiderike has siblings again :toot:

just a question. i put in twelve (legitimately purchased) araucana eggs from a local breeder who i know has a very small flock, two pilfered eggs, and two from my own hens. the araucana breeder said that she's been having problems with her chicks developing normally in the eggs and then dying just before hatch. freddy and my own eggs (plymouth leghorn cross) hatched out loud and bright and healthy. the second stolen chick was sickly and didn't live, he just seemed to have no energy and slept all the time and had no interest in eating or drinking (i fed him water and gamebird crumble gruel but he died anyway) and the araucana survival rate was super poor - ten eggs were fertile, eight of those made it to hatch, but one chick pipped the shell and then died before making it out and three others died a few days after birth. they all had the same problem, they just couldn't stand up. they weren't spraddled or anything but every time they tried to stand they'd keel over and end up lying on their backs. i tried to help them walk but their legs just shot out in weird directions and as soon as i wasn't supporting them they'd fall down. eventually two just rolled out from under the brooder and died in the night and i think the third got squashed by the other chicks.

does this sound like something that would be caused in the incubation process or some sort of genetic problem? i had to keep opening and shutting the incubator more than i otherwise would because the first chick was always hypothermic and i kept putting him back in there to keep him warm. the araucanas definitely seemed to have something neurologically wrong with them and i was wondering if i caused that through temperature and humidity fluctuations, although i only ever had the lid open for a few seconds and i kept the water topped up. it seems weird that the legmouths are so strong when the others are so weak, given they all incubated in the same environment.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
also the saintly mellow yellow has been returned to her own species, having done her babysitting duties graciously and with great skill

bless you, mellow yellow

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

That's not a bird. That's a feathered pillow.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i adore her, when i got her she was in terrible condition and almost bald and i thought she was about 10 years old but now she's flourished into a beautiful lady. she's also pretty tame and the other day she crowed at me, which was worrying and arousing

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GORDON posted:

I estimate they spent 40 hours in a box in the mail, to answer my own question.

All 6 chicks are functioning adequately.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I'm thinking of getting some ducklings. What considerations for keeping them around chickens do I need to make? If I have a male duck, will it try to knock up my female chickens?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Chicken chicks, and many other chicks, can last for quite a while without food immediately after hatching. No food at all for the first 48 hours and they're usually fine. When they die in transit it's usually due to being jostled around (or just dying early because of health defects), overheating/freezing, etc rather than not getting food or water, assuming no delays. That's why you can send live chicks in the mail in the first place.

I'm glad your chicks are happy and peeping :kimchi:

samizdat posted:

I'm thinking of getting some ducklings. What considerations for keeping them around chickens do I need to make? If I have a male duck, will it try to knock up my female chickens?

Drakes will absolutely go for non-ducks. They won't fertilise the eggs or anything and the hens should be able to take care of themselves if he starts getting too pushy. Hens will happily hatch duck eggs, and vice versa. Their eggs have different incubation periods and they naturally eat different food, but they're similar enough that a mother hen with teach ducklings to eat and a mother duck will teach chicken chicks to eat without much trouble. The main thing you have to watch out for when raising chicken chicks with a mother duck is that the mother duck will try to teach her babies how to swim! Ducklings raised by a hen will learn to swim on their own. There is a reason we use the phrase "like a duck to water". Give a duck a pond and it will figure out how it works.

If you're not planning on having the hen hatch duck eggs and raise them, let the ducklings grow up a bit before integrating them into the flock, like if you were raising chicken chicks without a mother hen. Then introduce them slowly to the flock, with supervised time together, etc, just like normal.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, and in general for keeping ducks and hens together - they'll get along fine, usually, but ducks are very, very, very messy. Even if they have a pond, they will try to splash their drinking water everywhere. In the food, on the ground, on themselves and the chickens. They will also try to poop in their water. Their poops are very big, liquid, and smelly, compared to chook poo. The chooks won't mind, but you'll have to clean their water out more often, make sure their food isn't getting mouldy, and clean poop away more regularly. Properly maintained, a chicken run isn't too smelly, but you can always tell where a duck lives.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Does all that apply to indian runner ducks as well?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

When my chicken got out for a couple nights, it laid a big pile of eggs in a neighbor's yard. They called 311 who sent out a police officer to talk to everyone. I told her my solution to the problem, she told the neighbor what was up, and animal control never came. So, it ended up working out, if the neighbors are just being lazy about patching up their containment it's a good kick in the pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvtUCUM9yCU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

CountFosco posted:

Does all that apply to indian runner ducks as well?

The pooping certainly does.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
blue is an excellent mom and all the homegrown peeps are doing great

the turkeys are getting massive, especially christmas

my husband warning chris that birds who peck get eaten

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Frendz

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Interesting coop/nesting box build. Posted by RiMiBe.

More pics here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/rbnKA

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Huh. Nice use of branches.

So only my EE was laying after I lost the Australorp, and before that 2/4 of them were still infrequent because of the heat stress. Now I'm getting 0 eggs because they've decided to molt. Goddamnit, I got chickens so I didn't have to buy eggs! >_<

...but the wyandotte lost her butt feathers first as usual, which made me laugh out loud when I went to feed them today. At least they're still entertaining. :sigh:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Anyone here live near St. Louis, MO and want a young Sebright roo-boy? Someone on the Reddit Backyard chicken forum has one that needs to be rehomed. They also have a Japanese bantam cockerel that too needs a home.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BackYardChickens/comments/514tp4/anyone_looking_for_a_sebright_or_japanese_bantam/

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

peepy cheep

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Does anyone in or around the Portland, OR area want or need a rooster or two? We had a hatch of 4 Jersey Giants in the spring, and two are definitely roos. They're all pretty cool about people, but not "friendly" in that they want you to hold them or anything. They know who feeds them.

They're getting into their teenage stage now, and we already have a roo, so I'd like to see if we can rehome them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lynza posted:

Does anyone in or around the Portland, OR area want or need a rooster or two? We had a hatch of 4 Jersey Giants in the spring, and two are definitely roos. They're all pretty cool about people, but not "friendly" in that they want you to hold them or anything. They know who feeds them.

They're getting into their teenage stage now, and we already have a roo, so I'd like to see if we can rehome them.

put'em on craigslist for free :black101:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

put'em on craigslist for free :black101:

Yeah, I figure if no one wants them we'll see how they do, then, as is traditional, eat them if they're jerks.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

c h o o k s

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
the peeping must be deafening

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

hey santa baby posted:

the peeping must be deafening
those are right outside my bedroom window, i have more in the back room and there are also some in the shed so no matter where i am the peeping finds me

i love it!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Omg I want some so bad I want to touch the little velvet tzeep tzeeps.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

WrenP-Complete posted:

Omg I want some so bad I want to touch the little velvet tzeep tzeeps.
little known chick fact - if you cup them in your hands and very gently press the top of their heads with your fingertip they think it's the mother bird sitting on them and they go to sleep straight away

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
You guys my students found out I keep chickens, and now I have multiple offers of chickens if I want them. THE TEMPTATION

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it's strangely gratifying when i make a new nesting nook for the chickens and they immediately lay a bunch of eggs in it :unsmith:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
We have two two-week old chicks (the last we're going to let breed within the flock until we get some more breeds in).

Terrible McBadmom had them out yesterday, up on the steps of the deck. One of them she'd managed to get in a flower pot, and the other was nowhere to be seen. She and Flower Pot heard the other one (way down in the yard below). McBadmom went tearing off after "MY BABY" and Flower Pot decided that, given how she's a bird and all, it would be NBD to leap/fly about 5 feet down and 7 feet out.

She made it! I had that time-dilation moment, of "NoooOOOOOOOOOOOO!" but it all worked out.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

A bird of prey got one of our little black silkies today. :(

I heard an odd noise coming from the backyard and went out. All the chickens looked like they were in the coop, so I went to look around the run and there I found it, a sad black mass of chicken and feathers. I looked up and saw the bastard in the tree, and then it took off. It wasn't terribly large, so I guess maybe not a hawk? The black silkies are only thirteen weeks old so they're especially vulnerable. Sigh. It wasn't effecting me emotionally too much until I scooped it up with the pitchfork to go bury it and saw it's closed eyes, as though it were sleeping.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

So sorry for your loss. :(

Not all hawks are all that big. There are some common hawks that aren't much bigger than your average crow.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
That stinks. Birds of prey are always a concern if you let the chickens out at all. We had a similar scare this Saturday. There was a terrible commotion outside, and when we looked, a Cooper's hawk was in the run -- trying to get back out. He had the nerve to sit on Bob's swing

but fortunately, before the hawk could do any damage Limahl stared him down and he left

It's a tough call -- leave the chickens in the run all the time, or expect the occasional predator to make off with one. I have seen both ways, ultimately it's about how you feel about it.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
Fee weeks back our last surviving girl from our first flock had a negative interaction with one (actually two) of our dogs. I was a dummy and thought I could better acclimate them to her being part of the family by having them tied out and bringing her to them so they could see her interacting with me like I do with our cats. Unfortunately our hound dog thought I was bringing her a fun play thing and nabbed her out of my arms after acting disinterested for a few minutes.

I managed to get Robin away from the dogs but not before they they tore her tail feathers out and mangled the tissue near her vent.

After the attack I slathered her wounds with bluecote since it was the only chicken safe antiseptic I had on hand and rushed her to my girlfriend's emergency veterinary care center who had prepped an oxygen cabinet for her.

ICU stands for Intensive Chicken Unit. Also, a whole bunch of butt staples.

Due to dog involvement and wound location the vet prescribed approximately one gallon of amoxicillin a day as a prophylaxis against infection as well as daily flushing of the wound with sterile saline and a healthy slathering of silverdene topical ointment.

We were also told to keep her in isolation until her wounds started looking better.

Three weeks post injury and she's to sleeping in her regular coop, laying eggs, and showing our freshest batch of pullets how to do chicken stuff. Since her wounds are healing nicely her staples are coming out tonight.

Lesson learned: never gonna try socializing my dogs with chickens ever again.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

hey santa baby posted:

but fortunately, before the hawk could do any damage Limahl stared him down and he left
Perfect name for that roo.