Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Internet Explorer posted:

Even if they did, which they probably don't, would you want to go to court over that? Think it will be fun?

Sadly this man is correct. Whether or not you are legally in the clear doesn't matter a whole lot in US if the other side has mountains of money to throw at the issue and you don't. They will simply bury you in legal fees and then seek, and get, a default judgment against you.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

LeninVS posted:

Im having an issue with a completely inconsistent connection from my ISP Cogeco in Canada.
I currently pay for 120mb/s download and 10mb/s upload.

I would say only 15% of the time I actually get anything close to this downloadspeed. usually I average somewhere around 50. But my Upload for the most part is always 10. See the following image.

These speeds are straight from the modem to my PC.
Iv tried a new modem, fresh install of windows7, new cables, brand new PC, A tech came out and rewired from the line outside.
Im out of ideas and im going crazy. I pay a fortune for this internet package and it doesnt work most of the time.

Does anyone have a clue what I could do next, or what I can ask the people at my ISP? They appear to believe this is all on my end.

Cogeco is known for having congested to gently caress nodes between being oversold and not sunsetting old Docsis 2 equipment, pressure them continually til they admit it, at which point they'll usually cut your bill until they split it.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

last time I called them they said there was no congestion in my area, and that it must be my setup at home.
Guess il just phone everyday and battle their terrible phone support.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

LeninVS posted:

last time I called them they said there was no congestion in my area, and that it must be my setup at home.
Guess il just phone everyday and battle their terrible phone support.

Logically, what else could it be? You've got a new modem, all new physical media, multiple PC's. I think its safe to say you've done you due diligence.

Only other thing I can suggest,when you internet is slowing down, go to http://192.168.100.1 which should be the webui for your modem, grab a screen capture of the signal levels.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

37th Chamber posted:

Logically, what else could it be? You've got a new modem, all new physical media, multiple PC's. I think its safe to say you've done you due diligence.

Only other thing I can suggest,when you internet is slowing down, go to http://192.168.100.1 which should be the webui for your modem, grab a screen capture of the signal levels.

...and also corrected/uncorrected errors. Especially if the latter is piling up (refresh the diag page a few times).

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Hey, I'm trying to make a private wifi hotspot with my PC and a usb wifi adaptor, and I'm running into some issues that I can't figure out for myself. I'm running cmd with admin privileges, with the commands:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=private_hotspot key=whocares keyusage=persistent

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Sometimes, I get an error that the hostednetwork isn't available when I use the second command. When I do get that command to work, I can see the hotspot on my phone, but I can't get an IP address through it. I had the network up and running a week ago, but ever since then it doesn't work for some reason. Anyone have any suggestions?

edit: I can set up a wlan network using a program called Connectify, so I know that the adaptor is working, but doing it through cmd or win 7's adhoc network-thing doesn't work.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 6, 2015

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Tenik posted:

Hey, I'm trying to make a private wifi hotspot with my PC and a usb wifi adaptor, and I'm running into some issues that I can't figure out for myself. I'm running cmd with admin privileges, with the commands:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=private_hotspot key=whocares keyusage=persistent

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Sometimes, I get an error that the hostednetwork isn't available when I use the second command. When I do get that command to work, I can see the hotspot on my phone, but I can't get an IP address through it. I had the network up and running a week ago, but ever since then it doesn't work for some reason. Anyone have any suggestions?

edit: I can set up a wlan network using a program called Connectify, so I know that the adaptor is working, but doing it through cmd or win 7's adhoc network-thing doesn't work.

You aren't getting an IP because Windows 7 isn't acting as a DHCP server. You would need to also configure Windows Internet Connection Sharing to allow Windows to be a DHCP server and router. Honestly I would use that Connectify program as it sounds much simpler. This is a task that Windows just isn't very suited for on its own.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 6, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone have any idea why my 50/10mbps internet service would suddenly jump to 350/25mbps after doing a hard reset on the isp provided cable modem/router? It's obviously awesome, just wondering if anyone else had anything like that happen. FWIW I have TWC and they just launched their 350/25 MAXX service in my area, but that isn't what I am paying for.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

thebushcommander posted:

Anyone have any idea why my 50/10mbps internet service would suddenly jump to 350/25mbps after doing a hard reset on the isp provided cable modem/router? It's obviously awesome, just wondering if anyone else had anything like that happen. FWIW I have TWC and they just launched their 350/25 MAXX service in my area, but that isn't what I am paying for.

If you were on "Ultimate" or whatever the fastest non-MAXX tier was you get bumped to the fastest MAXX tier when they upgrade. When you rebooted your modem it downloaded the new BIN file.

Congrats :)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Panty Saluter posted:

If you were on "Ultimate" or whatever the fastest non-MAXX tier was you get bumped to the fastest MAXX tier when they upgrade. When you rebooted your modem it downloaded the new BIN file.

Congrats :)

Sweet, as long as I don't end up paying for their MAXX service I am completely OK with this development.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

Sweet, as long as I don't end up paying for their MAXX service I am completely OK with this development.

It shouldn't affect any of your service prices. They've been rolling out the MAXX service for awhile, they're just about to upgrade ours. It's been an ongoing thing ever since they got actual competition from Google Fiber.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Gothmog1065 posted:

It shouldn't affect any of your service prices. They've been rolling out the MAXX service for awhile, they're just about to upgrade ours. It's been an ongoing thing ever since they got actual competition from Google Fiber.

Oh so it was intentional on their end then? I thought there was some crazy mix up on their end that caused it, like back in the day when you could buy and hack motorola surfboards for faster speeds.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

thebushcommander posted:

Oh so it was intentional on their end then? I thought there was some crazy mix up on their end that caused it, like back in the day when you could buy and hack motorola surfboards for faster speeds.

Nope, that's how it's supposed to be. Guess the plant wasn't so overloaded after all :v: (TBF widespread DOCSIS 3 helped a lot).

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 6, 2015

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

If you don't need the speed you can always drop down to the 100mbps tier and save some money while still getting twice the speed you used to have. That's what I did when they rolled out TWC MAXX in my area a while back.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I would like to upgrade to 802.11ac from my current 802.11n access points. Based on the size of my home and current signal levels, I believe I will need at least two access points. I was looking into the UniFi AC APs however I read that the client handoffs were not working on the newer APs. Plus these guys are quite expensive. Would anyone recommend something else or should I still be looking into the UniFi stuff?

Even though it's a home network, multiple SSIDs and potentially assigning VLANs per SSID would be preferred.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Anygoon still running an RT-N66U with asuswrt-merlin on? I'm looking for a screencap of the default settings for Advanced Settings > Wireless > Professional tab > 5GHz band. I'd recently switched my 5GHz band back on after not needing it for a while and I wanted to make sure none of the other settings turned themselves off/on. Nothing's wrong with my N66U, I just wanted to be OCD about it without restoring stock settings (possibly doing more harm than good that way).

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

My Airport Extreme (5th Gen, latest firmware) has been giving me slow as hell speeds lately. My connection is rated at 120mbps DL/12.5mbps UL and I've been getting 40mbps DL wired, 1-2mbps DL wireless with normal UL speeds. I figured it was just Comcast throttling or network congestion at first.

Finally ordered a refurbished RT-N66U from Amazon and was pleasantly surprised with an RT-AC66U. Repeated the tests on the Extreme with the same results. Swapped it out for the AC66U, updated to the latest Asus firmware and both wired/wireless were at my rated speeds.

I tried different channels, 5GHz, N only, etc to no avail. I'm guessing the Extreme is on its way out?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Laptop wireless card question as I'm speccing out a new laptop right now.

I have a choice of either the Intel AC-8260 or Qualcomm Killer 1525-AC.

They're both the same price pretty much, and theoretically the same spec. Qualcomm are making various claims about latency and gaming. Intel are a known quantity. I can't find any reviews of either.

I do have a router capable of 5GHz AC.

Which one do I go for?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Boner Wad posted:

I would like to upgrade to 802.11ac from my current 802.11n access points. Based on the size of my home and current signal levels, I believe I will need at least two access points. I was looking into the UniFi AC APs however I read that the client handoffs were not working on the newer APs. Plus these guys are quite expensive. Would anyone recommend something else or should I still be looking into the UniFi stuff?

Even though it's a home network, multiple SSIDs and potentially assigning VLANs per SSID would be preferred.

While AP controlled roaming is not supported on the UAP-AC this isn't something you should need. Even most business networks do not need, or want, AP controlled roaming. Unless you have a specific wifi client device that needs it for some reason AP controlled roaming is a bad thing in general.

The UAP-AC-Lite and UAP-AC-Pro are their newer hardware and they are much cheaper than the older UAP-AC. However they are still somewhat hard to find.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Lum posted:

They're both the same price pretty much, and theoretically the same spec. Qualcomm are making various claims about latency and gaming. Intel are a known quantity. I can't find any reviews of either.

Which one do I go for?

Honestly you probably won't notice any difference between the two and both brands tend to be high quality. However Qualcomm cards tend to have excellent Linux support if you care about that.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

EconOutlines posted:

I tried different channels, 5GHz, N only, etc to no avail. I'm guessing the Extreme is on its way out?

That's what it sounds like.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Lum posted:

Which one do I go for?

Intel nics are rock solid. I've heard tales of BSOD causing drivers from the killer stuff. I'd go with Intel.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

UndyingShadow posted:

Intel nics are rock solid. I've heard tales of BSOD causing drivers from the killer stuff. I'd go with Intel.

I too would go with Intel. I've seen plenty of Atheros problems with wifi cards on PCs. Really nothing with Intels though.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

Which one do I go for?

Intel wireless NICs are pretty solid.

Qualcomm puts their crashtastic piece-of-poo poo ethernet NICs in half the desktop motherboards available for sale and as a result I wouldn't give them money on principle (except I guess cell phones, where you basically don't have a choice).

If Broadcom was an option it might be worth considering (it'd cost more, but they're all Apple will use which probably says something), but in this case 100% Intel.

Thegrul
Oct 27, 2013
What's the best ac router under $200? It must support a single ssid for both the 2,4 and 5 ghz bands. So far i can only find routers that split the bands into two ssids :argh:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Thegrul posted:

What's the best ac router under $200? It must support a single ssid for both the 2,4 and 5 ghz bands. So far i can only find routers that split the bands into two ssids :argh:

Name them the same. 2.4 and 5 are two separate entities on the AP and have different settings. You can only name them the same and set the same password.

xorex
Jul 23, 2002
whatever
I'm switching to Xfinity (best option in my area) and was going to go ahead and buy a cable modem before doing so. I'm looking at the SB6141 but am also considering the SBG6782AC. I already have a Linksys e4200 (v1 with cfw), I'm just not sure if it is worth it just to go down to one device. Would there be any performance benefits or loss switching to this setup?

Also, is the SB6141 the best choice for Xfinity?

Thegrul
Oct 27, 2013

Gothmog1065 posted:

Name them the same. 2.4 and 5 are two separate entities on the AP and have different settings. You can only name them the same and set the same password.

Aight, thanks.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

xorex posted:

I'm switching to Xfinity (best option in my area) and was going to go ahead and buy a cable modem before doing so. I'm looking at the SB6141 but am also considering the SBG6782AC. I already have a Linksys e4200 (v1 with cfw), I'm just not sure if it is worth it just to go down to one device. Would there be any performance benefits or loss switching to this setup?

First check with Xfinity to see what modems they allow on their network. They probably support both the SB6141 and the SBG6782AC. But it would suck to buy either one and then find out that Xfinity doesn't allow it on their network.

I recommend that people get separate modems and wifi routers for a few reasons;

1. The wifi routers built into cable modems tend to suck. At least compared to a stand alone wifi router anyway.
2. The DOCSIS transceivers in cable modems usually only last 2-3 years and modem/router combo devices are more expensive to replace than plain modems.
3. It makes it easy (and cheaper) to replace your router if you decide you want faster wifi in the future or some other cool new router feature without messing around with registering a new modem with your ISP.
4. Depending on the router you buy it can give you the option of running 3rd party firmware on your router which can let you do interesting/advanced things.

In your specific case the SBG6782AC will do AC wifi while the Linksys e4200 is just dual band N. If all of your 5ghz wifi devices support AC this would be a speed upgrade. But if even one 5ghz device only supports N then everything will run at N speeds. The other question is do you need the extra speed of AC wifi. Unless you have gigabit internet service or regularly move huge files (like movies or something) across your wifi you probably don't. Single band N is plenty fast enough for what most people do on a home network TBH.

Anyway, the SB6141 is an excellent modem. I have one myself in fact. The SBG6782AC is also probably fine but its a bit pricey.

An Archer C7 and an SB6141 would get you the same AC wifi speeds for only $167.97 vs $192 for a SBG6782AC.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 8, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

To add to this, the modem also depends on what speeds you're wanting to get. If you're going for their higher level speeds, you might want to go to a better modem with more channel bondings. the 6141 and the SBG6782AC will do 8x4, which will be OK if you're not going over 150 down or so. If you're doing their super mega speeds, I'd get a 16x4 (SB6183, D3CM1604, Archer CR700)

xorex
Jul 23, 2002
whatever

Gothmog1065 posted:

To add to this, the modem also depends on what speeds you're wanting to get. If you're going for their higher level speeds, you might want to go to a better modem with more channel bondings. the 6141 and the SBG6782AC will do 8x4, which will be OK if you're not going over 150 down or so. If you're doing their super mega speeds, I'd get a 16x4 (SB6183, D3CM1604, Archer CR700)

Thanks guys. I read the SB6141 works with Xfinity but I'll double-check before pulling the trigger. I'll have 75 down which will be huge bump from the 12 I am at currently. I actually think 150 is the fastest they offer.

As far as AC vs N. I would like to occasionally Miracast a Windows 10 tablet to a FireTV (as an easy way to pass around the tablet to put up Youtube videos or whatever in a party setting). When I tried this previously, there was just too much lag. I'm not sure if it was a bandwidth issue or a hardware limitation though.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

xorex posted:

Thanks guys. I read the SB6141 works with Xfinity but I'll double-check before pulling the trigger. I'll have 75 down which will be huge bump from the 12 I am at currently. I actually think 150 is the fastest they offer.

Yep, it works, here is the page with supported modems:
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The SB6141 is only 8 downstreams. Not an issue as you sit now - it will run 75 mbps all day, but a 16 downstream modem is more future proof. Do with this information what you will :)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Antillie posted:

Single band N is plenty fast enough for what most people do on a home network TBH.

N is probably fine for users. (Well, unless you have fibre or 300 Mbit cable or something and no Ethernet devices that could probably stand to have the Wi-Fi users corralled.)

N on a router that only does 2.4 GHz means you get to knife-fight with thirty of your neighbors for a whopping three usable Wi-Fi channels. EDIT: Wait, 40 MHz bandwidth means you're fighting over ONE.

5 GHz is not optional in 2015.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 9, 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

xorex posted:

I have a Motorola router/modem (check my post about a page back), and I dislike it for most of the reasons Antillie listed. Even if this modem isn't what's causing my problems, I wish I had gotten two separate.

In regards to my problem with my desktop not getting the right speed: I tried different ports and ethernet cables with no luck. I installed a new $10 ethernet card, and I'm waiting a few days to see if it keeps working. If not, I'm scrapping this modem and getting a better set up.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Sir Unimaginative posted:

N is probably fine for users. (Well, unless you have fibre or 300 Mbit cable or something and no Ethernet devices that could probably stand to have the Wi-Fi users corralled.)

N on a router that only does 2.4 GHz means you get to knife-fight with thirty of your neighbors for a whopping three usable Wi-Fi channels. EDIT: Wait, 40 MHz bandwidth means you're fighting over ONE.

5 GHz is not optional in 2015.

Single band N is just fine for me and and I live in a fairly crowded suburb. A cursory check on my Unifi controller shows 22 other 2.4ghz SSIDs within range although only 3 of them have a signal strength over 7. I have also set my channels to avoid interference from those networks as much as possible. (channels 4 and 9 in my case, yes there is still some interference) I get 45-50 mbps actual throughput when I do copy something large over the network and that is plenty fast enough for me. Although if I were living in an apartment I imagine things would be quite different. I'm not sure I would call 5ghz wifi mandatory in all cases. It really depends on the location where the wifi network is being installed.

Although if you are buying a new router there is certainly no reason not to get 5ghz capability.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 9, 2015

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Right now I have the front room of my house with my TV, Roku, etc connected to an old Buffalo WHR router, which is connected to the internet via a powerline adapter to my newer router back where the computer and modem are in the backroom. I should be having Steam Link show up in the next couple of weeks which will mirror my desktop PC over the local network so that I can play PC games on the couch. The Buffalo router and current powerline adapters are all capped by 10/100 ports, so I am at least planning on bumping both of these up to 50/500mb if everything seems laggy. Is there a particular cheap router that would be good here or will pretty much anything modern work fine?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

It sounds like you could replace that old Buffalo WHR router with a gigabit switch. Unless you are also using it as an AP. In which case and Archer C5 or C7 would be a reasonable replacement.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was thinking about that but the Wifi in my house gets sketchy towards the front room so having an extra router out there has been pretty nice for laptops and whatnot.

Are there powerline adapters that do 1GB now? I've just been looking a CNet overview of them and haven't seen any yet.

e: They do apparently http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127587&cm_re=DHP-701AV-_-33-127-587-_-Product&RandomID=4399965272454120151009133047

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
So, question about powerline. I live in a condo that is connected (possibly electrically) to other condo units. What would happen if multiple people had these units installed? Would we see each other's networks?