Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

holocaust bloopers posted:

The Globetrotter one. It’s great. The tripod head is pretty good, and the legs break down to a monopod. You can also inverse the vertical pole for very low-angle shots.

That does look good but that price is kinda killer for the CF one. Gotta think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ASSTASTIC posted:

That does look good but that price is kinda killer for the CF one. Gotta think about it.

The Backpacker S has a reasonably priced CF version, depending on the weight load you need it rated for: https://www.mefoto.com/products/backpacker-s-travel-tripod-carbon-fiber-0

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That’s fair. I would consider spending a little more on a tripod instead of routing towards a cheaper one and wanting to upgrade later on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've owned enough not-good tripods to have decided it's definitely "buy once cry once" territory. Seriously, I guess maybe if you get an okay tripod and expect nothing out of it you might have an okay time, but if you just go budget you are absolutely going to hate it after probably all of five minutes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If money is a big concern, consider a gorillapod.. their 5k model is relatively beefy and you can get it for around $100. Yes it means you're going to be sitting on the ground all the time if you actually want to use it, but it is extremely small and if you do happen to have a fence or pole nearby the bendy legs work really well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Gorillapods still work very well in thsi day and age, and can pack into about anything

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What's a good model of compact light stand? I'm thinking of putting together a basic 2-light lighting kit that I can run anywhere, and I'm looking for parts that can fit in a pelican 1510 carryon, which is 19.5 inches long, 11 across and 7 and a half deep. The goal is to be able to fit 2 ad200s, chargers, two stands and maybe a decent modifier or two somehow.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Totally understand the "buy once, cry once" for the tripod, but its less price, but also compactness of it. Weighing the 3 tripods from mephoto; the backpacker, roadtrip, and globetrotter, the only difference is how much load weight each can handle and the maximum extended length.

Ounces do make the difference, and between the CF and AL models, its around 1 pound per tripod, but only 8oz for the roadtrip. Honestly, I prefer the aluminium models even if it sacrifices weight due to durability (I've had bad luck with CF). I'm leaning heavily at the roadtrip as it has the best of both worlds when it comes to compactness, weight, durability, and overall height when extended out.

The roadtrip is 2 inches smaller when folded and over a pound lighter than the globetrotter, though the globetrotter can handle 9 pounds more in weight. Honestly, with what I'm shooting (X Pro 2 and Leica M3), the roadtrip is kind of overkill, but gives me the maximum height I want. I think it would also handle my 5dmk3 if I wanted to lug that thing around.

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 26, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm have a Sony A99II going on my safari, however when I take a picture the image "hangs" on my viewfinder/screen and doesn't immediately go live. What setting do I change so it doesn't display me what I just took but allows me to see what's going on?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I can't say 100% where it is but usually they call it a review/preview so I would look for something that turns that off.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Gatts posted:

I'm have a Sony A99II going on my safari, however when I take a picture the image "hangs" on my viewfinder/screen and doesn't immediately go live. What setting do I change so it doesn't display me what I just took but allows me to see what's going on?

Change the “Auto Review” setting.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thanks guys! I did so!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Gatts posted:

Wow, thought I was the only a99ii user left here. Good luck on your safari.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

kefkafloyd posted:

Wow, thought I was the only a99ii user left here. Good luck on your safari.

Thanks! I'm renting it from Lensrentals!

I still plan to buy a Sony A7III later though. My other choice is a Fuji XT3. But probably the A7III and go Full Frame.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You may find that having one-button crop mode with 42MP to be invaluable and look at an A7R series instead. I know it changed the way I shoot.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Peak Design anchors: not just for cameras

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

404notfound posted:

Peak Design anchors: not just for cameras

I use my extras on binoculars.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Sauer posted:

Yep that's the one.

This lens arrived today. Seems to be exactly what it said on the tin, except I can't turn the aperture ring all the way down to the "A", it seems to stop at the 22. I tried to turn it without it being mounted to a camera to make sure that wasn't the issue, but it still seems to be firmly stopped at the 22 mark. I don't want to use too much force and damage it.

But otherwise it seems to work fine. It being a PENTAX-A lens, it does have a small electrical contact, but when I slotted it into my digital K50, the camera couldn't tell what f-stop it was at. However, I have no idea what settings are needed to use an older lens like that with the camera, so that might have been part of the problem.

It works like a charm on the K1000 however.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
There's a small button on the aperture ring you need to hold down to rotate it to 'A'.

The Lens Compatibility Chart shows that that lens should work without issue on that body. Bet it will work fine when switched into 'A' mode on the aperture.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Sauer posted:

There's a small button on the aperture ring you need to hold down to rotate it to 'A'.

The Lens Compatibility Chart shows that that lens should work without issue on that body. Bet it will work fine when switched into 'A' mode on the aperture.

Ah! That worked like a charm!

Of course the auto focus isn't available, but I am assuming that the aperture is being managed correctly. The display shows an aperture which is adjusted by one of the scroll wheels on the camera body. I looked in the front of the lens, and couldn't really tell if it was opening or closing, but the camera was on Manual mode and didn't give me any errors :shrug:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Leave it on manual and set an aperture of f/22 and a long shutter time and take a picture of your face. You should be able to see the diaphragm close down.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Sauer posted:

Leave it on manual and set an aperture of f/22 and a long shutter time and take a picture of your face. You should be able to see the diaphragm close down.

Also, the lens came with what is either a UV filter, or just some random clear plastic in a metal ring, screwed on the front. I know the OP says don't buy them, but I suppose its ok if it wasn't asked for and came free with the lens?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Sure, free poo poo is cool. If its a B&W filter or other high end brand then its probably decent quality and up to you if you want to keep it on there or not for protection again dust and such but that's all a UV filter does. Otherwise, turf it. Better off getting a lens hood anyway.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Sauer posted:

Sure, free poo poo is cool. If its a B&W filter or other high end brand then its probably decent quality and up to you if you want to keep it on there or not for protection again dust and such but that's all a UV filter does. Otherwise, turf it. Better off getting a lens hood anyway.

Looks like it is a TIFFEN Haze-1.

Doesn't look very premium from the price :v:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I say this as someone who is maybe looking to get back into photography. I currently have an OG Digital Rebel, the kit lens, a 50/1.8, and some zoom lens I can't remember at the moment. I keep reading about, at least on Canon's side, the slide away from a traditional DSLR, but if I want to get back in the game, where should I even be looking? My use case would be the occasional landscape and taking pictures around town and of my family. I'm not bent on staying with Canon, but I've got those few (albeit inexpensive) lenses, so wouldn't mind switching if it makes sense.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

What is the thing about your current camera gear that makes you not feel the urge to get up and shoot? For me, the obstacle I hit was that carrying a chunky dslr everywhere got tiresome, and buying a compact mirrorless (in my case a fuji X100F) was enough to get me back into shooting stuff on the regular.

If you can answer that, itll make recommendations much easier to give.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

What is the thing about your current camera gear that makes you not feel the urge to get up and shoot? For me, the obstacle I hit was that carrying a chunky dslr everywhere got tiresome, and buying a compact mirrorless (in my case a fuji X100F) was enough to get me back into shooting stuff on the regular.

If you can answer that, itll make recommendations much easier to give.

Honestly I don't mind the bulk. I inherited a battery grip for it and it felt a nice size in my hand. Lower megapixel rating, limited ISO and noise reduction are problematic. I would also like something that used SD cards instead of CF cards. I don't even really care about the kit lens being "too much lens", though if I could get something that had a better f-rating in the lower f-stop range but similar focal point to use as an "all around" lens, that might be nice.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Well, if you want to stay in the Canon ecosystem, I know that the 80D is a grand new, and there are probably a few hitting the used market now that the 90D is out, and that will let you use all your current lenses while addressing your two issues. You could also look at the 6D series if you want full frame (though you'll probably lose the use of your EF-S zooms as a result.)

If you're interested in hopping systems I'm sure people can give you a great pitch on nikon, though I know nothing about them personally. If you're interested in mirrorless I cannot recommend the fujifilm X cameras enough, great low light, fantastic ergonomics, and if you're not big on post production the film simulations on their in body JPEG processing give them, imo, the best SOOC photos of any of the big brands. And while fuji in particular has absolutely fantastic lenses (the 35mm f/2 is basically glued to my camera) The mirrorless cameras in general also have fantastic third party lens support - I have a laowa 9mm low distortion super-wide, which is an absolutely wild lens for not a lot of money.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Fuji doesn't have many third party autofocus lenses, if it matters to you. There are some good sigma primes for mft/Sony that are coming to canons apsc line.

Fuji doesn't have a full frame line so the apsc stuff is better supported.

If you are looking at the newest models and shoot people frequently it might be worth looking for something with eye autofocus.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Fools Infinite posted:

Fuji doesn't have a full frame line so the apsc stuff is better supported.

Why would they piss around with 35mm when they have a perfectly good digital medium format line?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So looking at a few things, I think maybe a T7i might be what I am looking for, especially because I can continue to use my existing kit lens for now. I don't see any major drawbacks for a T7i other than weather sealing, but that just seems like one of those features that really separates the higher end, along with being full frame. Is there anything else I might be over looking? I'm not as keen buying used, but maybe refurb is a good option as well. I just don't know if I can justify a move to a 6/7/whatever D from a price standpoint with what I want to do.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

As someone who started on canon, I can absolutely assure you that the jump in general ergonomics and control layout absolutely justifies going to at least an xxD model over a rebel. Having the wheel on the back and no longer having to do button combos will improve your photography experience in ways you haven't even thought of.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

As someone who started on canon, I can absolutely assure you that the jump in general ergonomics and control layout absolutely justifies going to at least an xxD model over a rebel. Having the wheel on the back and no longer having to do button combos will improve your photography experience in ways you haven't even thought of.

The reason I went nikon is that I had 2 wheels. I used my brother's canon with one wheel and I thought it sucked having to use button presses to be able to adjust both a and S

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I want a mid range lens for Nikon F that has AF *and* an aperture ring, is my only real first-party option the 28-70 2.8?

I’d bite on the 24-70 G but then my F4 is in the dust :[

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

OK, with this in mind, is there a specific xxD model over another that fits best into my use case, assuming I might either by used or refurb and only want to spend 8-900 or so? Also, I'd need to think about a new walk-about lens because based on what I can see, the xxD cameras are full frame. The naming convention is also very confusing because my brain says that a 7D should be "better" than a 6D but that also doesn't look to be the case.

e: looking at the 80D, 7D and 7Dii because those are both APS-C. That might guide a bit of what I am doing.
e2: not that I use a flash a lot, but with the 80D/7D/7Dii having built in flash, that might be the way to go if I do something different than a T7i.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 2, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

OK, with this in mind, is there a specific xxD model over another that fits best into my use case, assuming I might either by used or refurb and only want to spend 8-900 or so? Also, I'd need to think about a new walk-about lens because based on what I can see, the xxD cameras are full frame. The naming convention is also very confusing because my brain says that a 7D should be "better" than a 6D but that also doesn't look to be the case.

e: looking at the 80D, 7D and 7Dii because those are both APS-C. That might guide a bit of what I am doing.
e2: not that I use a flash a lot, but with the 80D/7D/7Dii having built in flash, that might be the way to go if I do something different than a T7i.

The 90D is the brand new model; try to find an 80D or 70D used instead.

Also, the xxD models and the 7D and 7Dii are not full frame. That has to do with the size of the image sensors. “Full frame” means it’s the same as 35mm film, whereas these are APS-C or “crop” ones that are smaller (They’re called crop because it has the effect of zooming in on what a traditional 35mm frame would’ve shown. Why the comparison? Most of the popular mounts were carried over from SLR cameras).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

OK, so my gut says to get either this 70D kit or this 80D body. I sort of want a bundle that has the 18-135 as a replacement for my older kit lens due to the built in ISM. Unless someone can save me 200 to put towards another lens that has another lens they might suggest for just day to day that has about the same range as the standard kit lens or the 18-135.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 3, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

KKKLIP ART posted:

OK, so my gut says to get either this 70D kit or this 80D body. I sort of want a bundle that has the 18-135 as a replacement for my older kit lens due to the built in ISM. Unless someone can save me 200 to put towards another lens that has another lens they might suggest for just day to day that has about the same range as the standard kit lens or the 18-135.

I think you would be happier in the long run with this, if it's within your budget.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

The naming convention is also very confusing because my brain says that a 7D should be "better" than a 6D but that also doesn't look to be the case.

The 6 and the 7 are very different cameras. The 6D line is a cheaper fullframe with basic features while the 7D series are bomb proof pro level APS-C, properly weather sealed and built to be able to survive like a 1D

XBenedict posted:

I think you would be happier in the long run with this, if it's within your budget.

Jooooin us. Join the 7D mk II cult. Use your 7D to smash other cameras and laugh.

(Jokes aside, the 7D mk II is absolutly one of the best APS-C's despite it's age and falling behind technically. It's also a great handling camera)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

XBenedict posted:

Ok, I’m going to see if I can stretch the budget because this seems like a really good idea. I like the idea that the 7MKII looks like it can be run over with a bulldozer and has USB3

E: I will echo the sentiment that Canons naming convention really sucks and seems like it artificially makes it hard to determine which is best. I think I understand it now, the Rebels a bigger number is better, the xxD the bigger number the better, and the xD the lower number the better, with the newer revisions (Mk whatever) being better.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 4, 2019