Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Chrome has been a piece of poop when it comes to GIFs for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Huxley is burblechattering away and Bradbury is puffed up into nearly a sphere on his swing and doing some of the loudest beak-grinding I've ever heard. It's nice to have my apartment full of happy bird sounds again. :kimchi:

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Battle Pigeon posted:

My GCC is on the fine pellets, and so would the cockatiel be if he'd recognise them as tasty foods. My bigger conure is on the course size, but he can use his feet, and he soaks each cube to soften it before eating. They're too big uncrushed for a GCC even if they did the pellet soup thing too.

High Potency is what you're supposed to feed them (according to them) for six months before converting to Lifetime. They claim it's for birds who need more nutrients, who are converting from crappier diets, etc. so it's sort of like a catchup. It's up to you if you want to get them, or continue with them. They're slightly more expensive as well.

TOP (Totally Organic Pellets)/Top's Parrot Food are supposed to be good as well, but I don't know much about them http://totallyorganics.com/

For flight harnesses, the Aviator is the best (no clips that the bird can undo), and the wing part is adjustable but the head isn't. You'd want Petite for a GCC, or X-small at best if he's huge.

EDIT: Totally forgot, everyone else who posted photos, thank you :v:

He's actually a Black Cap Conure! He did seem quite a bit larger than the GCC we used to have at the store, but I'm not sure if that was because the other one was younger. He's (thus far) not really much of a problem-solver for undoing latches and such despite how long he's been at the store, so I might end up investing in a couple of different flight harness types to see what works best with him.

I'll keep that in mind about the Harrison's, though-- 1lb bag of high potency should last me a while, since he's a pretty thorough pellet-eater.

mikerock posted:

We feed her 12 pellets in the morning, and 10 in the afternoon/evening.

That seems like a bit little, but I could be mistaken. Is letting birds free-feed an issue? I was planning on doing his fruits and veg in the mornings when he's hungriest, and then having his pellets available all day to pick out. Millet and the tropical nutriberries are definitely being set aside as treats, yeah.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Chrome has been a piece of poop when it comes to GIFs for a long time

Pretty sure they stopped giving a crap once webms largely replaced them on most sites.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

aerialsilks posted:

That seems like a bit little, but I could be mistaken. Is letting birds free-feed an issue? I was planning on doing his fruits and veg in the mornings when he's hungriest, and then having his pellets available all day to pick out. Millet and the tropical nutriberries are definitely being set aside as treats, yeah.

one of the birds will eat all of the food, take a poo poo on your favourite chair, then want dinner

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

aerialsilks posted:

Albert free-feeds, but you have to be attentive to them making GBS threads in the bowl, and watch for obesity/weight gain. I'm still in the habit of weighing Albert twice a day from weaning, and I could see it being fine as long as you weighed the bird every 2-3 days just to make sure it isn't becoming a fatty.

Also the poop thing.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

aerialsilks posted:

Nothing wrong with that as long as you're sure he's eating the fruits/veg and not picking at them until his pellets appear.

My two get a bean/greens mixture (with bits of fruit and berries) in the morning and about two hours before bedtime, but they have pellets in their bowls they can browse from during the day. They always eat some of the pellets but never a ton of them, which is how I know it's working.

I give them Zupreem fruit pellets since they like those best, and since their primary diet is the healthy fresh food. If your bird's primary diet is pellets, one of the higher quality varieties like Harrison's is probably a better idea.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
We free-feed the budgies and they've only pooped in the food bowl three times in all the time we'd have them. They also don't seem to be getting noticeably fat, but we don't have a weighing scale.

... mostly, we free-feed because I have no idea how much pellets I should be giving them. :haw:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

aerialsilks posted:

He's actually a Black Cap Conure! He did seem quite a bit larger than the GCC we used to have at the store, but I'm not sure if that was because the other one was younger. He's (thus far) not really much of a problem-solver for undoing latches and such despite how long he's been at the store, so I might end up investing in a couple of different flight harness types to see what works best with him.

I'll keep that in mind about the Harrison's, though-- 1lb bag of high potency should last me a while, since he's a pretty thorough pellet-eater.

Uh yes I knew that I mean there was a photo and everything :downs:

Black-capped conures are around 70g, and GCCs are pretty similar (a lot of info online says they get up to 80g! Does anyone here have one that big?) so for the purposes of the Aviator they'd wear the same-the Petite is for birds weighing 75 - 110 grams.

The larger bag (2kg) lasts my GCC about six months, if that helps at all.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Its absolutely baffling to me that conures weigh 70-80g, but Pois range from 115-140g despite being more or less the same size. Stocky rear end birds.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah Amadeus is a wee 69g. :3: He's all air and temper.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori is 112g, Inko is 69g. Both Pyhurra conures. :v:

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

The NHL posted this on their channel the other day, while prepping for the Kings/Sharks stadium game. :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxU3MrtMk1Y

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout has maintained between 66-69g science we've had her.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ritz is 116g on a fat day, 114 normally

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Last time we weighed Teeka he was about 650g. He is also really lean, gotta imagine he'd be well off the 700g normal upper limit if he would actually bother eating a normal amount of food. He's a big boy :3:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alexis (dusky conure, an Aratinga) is a very consistent 90-91g. She's a bit bigger than a GCC, but not by much. She's also apparently on the small side for duskies, which are usually more like 100g.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=727643487350299 This is a facebook video of a cockatoo runing around shouting things. It's the highlight of my day so far.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgSieJU70BQ

Same video on Youtube, if that makes it easier for anyone.

Aug 24, 2011

Wizard of Smart posted:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=727643487350299 This is a facebook video of a cockatoo runing around shouting things. It's the highlight of my day so far.

LivesInGrey posted:

it does :)

how do i tell if a sulphur-crested cockatoo is fat or not? they're huge and fluffy which seems normal

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dreggon posted:

it does :)

how do i tell if a sulphur-crested cockatoo is fat or not? they're huge and fluffy which seems normal

Feel their breast bone aka keel. It should protrude slightly so that you can feel the front edge, but you should not be able to feel bone far in along the side of the keel. Being able to feel very far in along the keel indicates underweight. If you can just barely feel the front of the keel, then the bird is likely overweight.

E: Just imagine it's like a knife. You want to be able to feel a sharpness along the edge, but you shouldn't be able to easily grasp the sides of the blades. If you can't feel the sharpness of the edge, then it's a fatbird.

Huge and fluffy are the cockatoo m.o., so at least that seems normal.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

My wife always shows me vids from this guys instagram: https://instagram.com/angeleyeddan

He appears to have the craziest cockatoo.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

LivesInGrey posted:

Sounds like "left foot left foot right!" to me.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Grraarrgghh posted:

My wife always shows me vids from this guys instagram: https://instagram.com/angeleyeddan

He appears to have the craziest cockatoo.

I just ran across Max on YouTube and he is definitely awesome. Definitely got a healthy dose of the crazy and he imitates a weird low voice that is almost alien in strangeness.

He also knows how to pick things up and use them as a bell or drum. P great bird.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Eejit posted:

I just ran across Max on YouTube and he is definitely awesome. Definitely got a healthy dose of the crazy and he imitates a weird low voice that is almost alien in strangeness.

He also knows how to pick things up and use them as a bell or drum. P great bird.

Maxs owner explains that the previous owner kept max near a police scanner for a while, so listening to it as a birds interpretation of a garbled police radio makes it make more sense

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Mindo has found a new place to poop from: above the clean dishes.

He's gotten into this before, but we haven't been able to get a picture of him. It must be really uncomfortable because it's TINY and his feet wrap all the way around it. He's quite unstable while up there, but can hop between lights. It's all LED so no worries on burning him.

He's also trying to alight inside of our cabinets and up "inside" the little recess above our blinds where they hide when you raise them. It's not bird sized, but it means he sort of hummingbird hovers in front of them for a bit before flying off. We've tried clearing a cabinet of things he can break but we can't get him to actually land inside of one.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
What are toucans like as pets? Aren't they more related to crows and such than parrots?

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
so I'm a bit concerned about my bird's beak. The top especially seems to be wearing strangely, and if you view it straight on it looks like the tip is tipped a few degrees off from the rest

Obviously he's not pleased at the camera, so his mouth is a tiny bit open, but that's pretty close to where it's at. We got him a textured perch and ladder, and he'll rub his beak on it, and will happily attack his cuttle bones. Is there anything else I should do?

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
this is it as close as a straight on picture I could get of it. Other than this, he's a lovely happy little man

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Take him to your avian vet, his beak is mad overgrown and they can help with that.

e: For comparison, a healthy beak looks like my avatar's. Is your birb even capable of closing his all the way?

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 24, 2015

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
That's what I was thinking, but I'm skittish because when he got his beak dremelled by our vet about nine months ago, he stopped eating solid pellets for about a week or two, so I'm not sure if the vet ground it down too far and he couldn't get a purchase, or if it was sore, and if it was better to just let him wear it down himself with cuttle bones.

Edit: No, it doesn't close cleanly all the way (tongue is still visible). I haven't done anything pro-active about it super recently (eg. since he got it dremelled) because it hasn't effected his eating at all, and I was leery about taking him to the vet about something that as it was is more an aesthetic. The new-ish vet (we moved in January) basically just said to keep an eye on it.

BlueDiablo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 24, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Obviously I can't answer for your bird, but if he was used to maneuvering food with a very overgrown beak it might have taken him a little while to adjust. Bring your concerns up with the vet, that's what they're there for. :)

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
It wouldn't surprise me, I was unsure if it was soreness or just adjusting, but it did give me a scare. Are beak trimmings that common?

Aug 24, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Mindo has found a new place to poop from: above the clean dishes.

He's gotten into this before, but we haven't been able to get a picture of him. It must be really uncomfortable because it's TINY and his feet wrap all the way around it. He's quite unstable while up there, but can hop between lights. It's all LED so no worries on burning him.

He's also trying to alight inside of our cabinets and up "inside" the little recess above our blinds where they hide when you raise them. It's not bird sized, but it means he sort of hummingbird hovers in front of them for a bit before flying off. We've tried clearing a cabinet of things he can break but we can't get him to actually land inside of one.

Since when can you get toucans as pets?

Also do their bites hurt as much as I think they do?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

BlueDiablo posted:

It wouldn't surprise me, I was unsure if it was soreness or just adjusting, but it did give me a scare. Are beak trimmings that common?

It depends on the individual. Disease, trauma, nutritional deficiencies, or plain old genetics can contribute to an overgrown or abnormally shaped beak, and it's not always necessary for the bird to have regular trimmings. If your vet told you not to worry about it, well, she's a lot more qualified than I am!

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Also worth asking, was it a specialized avian vet, or a routine vet? Only ask because avian vets can be a pain in the rear end to find (there are a total 2 in my entire city of 1.2 million people).

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Dreggon posted:

Since when can you get toucans as pets?

Also do their bites hurt as much as I think they do?

I think their natural diet is largely fruit, so they don't really have chomping, crushing beaks. Just huge!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Honestly, both beaks look overgrown to me. There's something going on with that beak and if that's nine months of growth, it'll probably need regular trimmings or it might affect his ability to eat in the future. Bring up the feeding issue with the vet because it might be an indication that they trimmed too far or something - what I mean is, it might not be that way every time you get it trimmed and the process just needs adjusting. I found that soaking the pellets in a delicious high-value juice like orange or pineapple really tempted my bird after she was sick. Are you regularly weighing him? It'll be necessary in order to make sure he's eating enough when it gets trimmed again.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pile of Kittens posted:

Honestly, both beaks look overgrown to me.

Yeah, I didn't clarify this in my posts, both the upper and lower mandibles look overgrown to me too. I'm concerned about the lower one since if it keeps growing like that it's going to wedge his mouth further and further open.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!

Grraarrgghh posted:

Also worth asking, was it a specialized avian vet, or a routine vet? Only ask because avian vets can be a pain in the rear end to find (there are a total 2 in my entire city of 1.2 million people).

The old one who did the dremelling was a routine (if very good) vet, while the one that basically said "eh, keep an eye on it and check back in a few months" is in the association of avian vets, so I'm assuming he's legit. When I brought up the previous experience to the bird vet, he basically said that he probably trimmed it a bit too far. When he was giving him his wellness check, he didn't seem to be concerned about his weight (I've never weighed him and I don't think he's been weighed), saying that he has a well muscled keel and all that. I'll get a scale in any case.

But on the whole, his beak does seem to be getting a bit more under control since we replaced his rope-perch with some kind of gritty one (can't find the packaging, but it was edible and possibly flavored). Would it be advisable to schedule a trimming sooner than later?