Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Wulfolme posted:

These metaphors are getting out of hand

:iiapa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do love the position Obama has put McConnell in.

Either he:

A) Sticks to his guns, doesn't do anything, and likely loses some of those toss-up Senate seats in the process, or

B) Folds, gets annihilated by his base, Republican turnout is (probably) lower, but he takes away the weapon the Dems are going to have in multiple Senate contests.

Either way it's a loss. This is why you keep your cards close to your vest instead of announcing 2 hours after a Justice is found dead that under no circumstances will they consider a nomination.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Seriously, by far the best way for the GOP to play this would have been to say nothing but that they were going to honour Scalia by sticking to their constitutional responsibility and considering any Obama nominee. Then hold hearings and party-line vote down anyone Obama nominates. Find some trumped up reason to do that if you want to instead of trying to set a bullshit precedent about presidents at the end of their term. Your senators still get to talk big about stopping Mean Ol' Uncle Obama from appointing some dastardly liberal to the court but it looks like they're at least nominally interested in governing instead of going back to being the Party Of No.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Seriously, by far the best way for the GOP to play this would have been to say nothing but that they were going to honour Scalia by sticking to their constitutional responsibility and considering any Obama nominee. Then hold hearings and party-line vote down anyone Obama nominates. Find some trumped up reason to do that if you want to instead of trying to set a bullshit precedent about presidents at the end of their term. Your senators still get to talk big about stopping Mean Ol' Uncle Obama from appointing some dastardly liberal to the court but it looks like they're at least nominally interested in governing instead of going back to being the Party Of No.

I think that would work if the leadership weren't trying to reconcile moderates who would approve a reasonable nominee, and radicals who will loudly complain about the party allowing a vote and betraying voters.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I really can't even grasp what McConnell is trying to do. Like I legitimately can't comprehend any of his actions at this point.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

vyelkin posted:

They wouldn't even need to vote him down, just slow-walk him through the process and stall without ever admitting they were. It's how Grassley and Nelson almost got the PPACA killed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stallion Cabana posted:

I really can't even grasp what McConnell is trying to do. Like I legitimately can't comprehend any of his actions at this point.

He wants to look like he's doing something conservative.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

computer parts posted:

He wants to look like he's doing something conservative.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Either way it's a loss. This is why you keep your cards close to your vest...

Would you say that he needs to act more conservatively?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Wulfolme posted:

These metaphors are getting out of hand

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2013/08/a-glimpse-into-president-obama-s-complicated-relationship-wi-16136.htm
Who was using a metaphor?
http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21615615-barack-obama-shows-his-hand-americas-enemies-playing-poker-world

quote:

HE CALLS himself a “pretty good” poker player. Barack Obama’s poker-buddies, including Illinois politicians who played with him weekly when he was a state senator, tend to agree. Quizzed by profile-writers, they have described a cautious, canny card player. Mr Obama would bluff only if he had halfway-decent cards, they recalled. When opponents bet high, Mr Obama would not engage unless he held a strong hand of his own
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96785022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Stallion Cabana posted:

There comes a point, when you are walking in a white-out snowstorm, where your sense of proprioception fails and even though you can feel the force of gravity, your brain forgets which way is up.

McConnell is face-down in the snow and trying to breathe it. He done hosed up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So I'm thumbing through some senate rules, and it seems like the president of the senate (one Mr. Diamond Joe Biden) sets the order of business for the day. Is there any reason he can't just roll in and skip the committee hearings and go straight to floor debate? I mean, it's kindof his job constitutionally and the senate rules seem to grant him that authority as well.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/merrick-garland-supreme-court-nra-guns-220892

NRA already painting Garland as anti-gun. No great shock, they scored both Sotomayor and Kagan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do love the position Obama has put McConnell in.

Either he:

A) Sticks to his guns, doesn't do anything, and likely loses some of those toss-up Senate seats in the process, or

B) Folds, gets annihilated by his base, Republican turnout is (probably) lower, but he takes away the weapon the Dems are going to have in multiple Senate contests.

Either way it's a loss. This is why you keep your cards close to your vest instead of announcing 2 hours after a Justice is found dead that under no circumstances will they consider a nomination.

I know right. That was ridiculously stupid. I guess he is using his angle to fund raise now but it seems short sighted.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
http://nydailynews.com/news/politics/king-merrick-garland-push-supreme-court-article-1.2566551

Shaun King feels he is the the right of Scalia on Criminal Justice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Scalia believed in habeas corpus so that made him solidly left wing in modern context.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Would it be fair to say that most likely scenario now is a lame duck confirmation of Garland once Hillary wins? Surely Republicans won't get a more palpable candidate from Hillary than the already-kinda-old and super centrist white guy Garland?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cheese posted:

Would it be fair to say that most likely scenario now is a lame duck confirmation of Garland once Hillary wins? Surely Republicans won't get a more palpable candidate from Hillary than the already-kinda-old and super centrist white guy Garland?

If he doesn't withdraw before then, probably. I think even if they keep the Senate they'll confirm him because they're not going to get a more moderate candidate and this way they can avoid the heat of not confirming. Plus he's also a decade older than most progressives would like.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The nomination needs to be withdrawn before the election if the GOP doesn't back down. Once Clinton wins, especially if the senate flips, it's time to ram a justice they actually don't like down their throats.

McConnell doesn't get an old moderate if he successfully obstructs until the election.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cheese posted:

That's like 8 months from now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The only area of Scalia's jurisprudence that normal people liked was his stuff regarding the fourth and fifth. Scalia was loving awesome in that regard alone. It makes sense that he's all about privacy when he belonged to some weird rear end secret society.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't feel enough has been made about the circumstances of Scalias death.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
cmon man plenty of people die while on hunting trips on a business tycoon's ranch with your old world secret hunting society from the middle ages.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

euphronius posted:

I don't feel enough has been made about the circumstances of Scalias death.

The strange circumstances kind of got lost in the political scuffle afterwards, and the general jubilation that the old bastard finally croaked

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

So I'm thumbing through some senate rules, and it seems like the president of the senate (one Mr. Diamond Joe Biden) sets the order of business for the day. Is there any reason he can't just roll in and skip the committee hearings and go straight to floor debate? I mean, it's kindof his job constitutionally and the senate rules seem to grant him that authority as well.

John Adams probably could have gotten away with it once, but his antics ruined it for everyone else.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

euphronius posted:

That's like 8 months from now.

Guess we'll see how long they can hold their breath during this temper tantrum. David Blaine did it for almost 18 minutes. McConnell has to do it until Nov. 8 just to see if he can breathe again.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The President in the rules refers to the Chair I believe, which is usually designated by majority leader. The actual President of the Senate, the Vice President of the United States, only has one enumerated power and that is to cast tie breaking votes.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Garland looks very judicial (old and white) so maybe it will be harder to parade him as a marxist islamic communist and a few people will finally see how useless and obstructionist republican senators are for no good reason.

If Obama keeps up the pressure and gets news time, eight months is a long time even for Americans to ignore what is essentially a childish tantrum thrown by their elected representatives.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mdemone posted:

Oh my God is there any way they could be loving this up harder?!?

After that Toomey tweet there is very little room left for them to gently caress up harder. Maybe a sound recording of Republican leadership going on a racial epitaph filled tirade on how they don't give a poo poo about anything but keeping that black guy from replacing a white hero like Scalia.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Stallion Cabana posted:

He's trying to break the world record for how many bottles of bourbon one man can down in a month.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

The strange circumstances kind of got lost in the political scuffle afterwards, and the general jubilation that the old bastard finally croaked

I mean he obviously did not die the way he was found and the coroner did a cause of death by phone conference so..

What the gently caress.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You see the American people need to have a say in the selection of the nominee because everyone who elected the current president and legislature is dead. Also it is sensible to elect judges, or something. Also Jonah Goldberg on his usual A-game http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/17/o...&pgtype=article

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The medical mystery of why a fat old man who smokes all day died in his sleep.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kazak_Hstan posted:

The medical mystery of why a fat old man who smokes all day died in his sleep.

That's not what happened.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

euphronius posted:

That's not what happened.

was it some kind of sex thing? maybe a gross sex thing?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

was it some kind of sex thing? maybe a gross sex thing?

If he died jerking off I hope it was before he finished.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Rygar201 posted:

The President in the rules refers to the Chair I believe, which is usually designated by majority leader. The actual President of the Senate, the Vice President of the United States, only has one enumerated power and that is to cast tie breaking votes.

Which is why the absolute best comedy option involves just enough republicans breaking ranks to pass cloture, then all of them coming down with the flu and causing a tie... BY GOD THAT'S JOE'S MUSIC

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

icantfindaname posted:

*appoints a tough-on-crime centrist who's worked as a lawyer for big banks*

Is this the new "she defended a rapist"?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

But you repeat yourself.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Defending accused rapists is good, as accused rapists have civil rights like everyone else and are entitled to a fair trial. Defending big banks is bad and should be called out, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

They wouldn't even need to vote him down, just slow-walk him through the process and stall without ever admitting they were. It's how Grassley and Nelson almost got the PPACA killed.

This is the downside of driving turnout by ceaselessly terrorizing your voters with tales that the president is Demon Hitler Stalin Beezlebub X bin Laden who must be stopped by any means necessary before he destroys America and apple pie forever.

It closes off the strategy of keeping up the appearance of reasonable cooperation with the president while secretly obstructing behind the scenes to get what you want.