Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Needs some sparkly poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That looks like one of those Airheads Xtreme candy belts and it doesn't look like it belongs on a guitar at all. I love it.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

JohnnySmitch posted:

Here's my own Tele - what kind of dad am I?

You'll also see my gaudy as hell Dano on the left (for the $100 I paid, I love that thing)

This thread also inspired me to dig out the ugliest guitar I own from my crawlspace:

I lost the original tone knob, so I had to throw on a quick replacement

That's a nice Tele.

Also.... that spoiler tag. Wow.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have basically exactly the same Tele, except with a plain pickguard and it's MII Squier instead of Fender.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

White Dog Eggs posted:

Doing an awful job is one thing, but it's still got to work. I >think< I've got it figured out, but I'll have to use push/pulls for the coil shunts and use different toggles for the pickups. Trouble is that in order to fit all that on I'll probably have to make a new pickguard, nrrrrrraaaaghhghgkjhkhhkfhjgjdffd.

E: The way I figure it, I'll have to put the active circuit after the passive, which means that the passive volume and tone knobs will still be in play when the active circuit is on. I was hoping to be able to install an option to turn the passive pots off when the active is engaged, but I can't figure it out.

It WILL work though. Eventually. Pray for me.

There is something about mixing active and passive electronics in a guitar thats setting off a red flag in my memory but I can't quite place why, it might be to do with volume when you switch between the two.

BusterBlintz
May 30, 2012

by Ralp
I'm disappointed this thread has become UnfinishedGoonProjects.ods. Every time we get a new flood of kissass comments about building some guitar my eyes slide right off the page. Boooooo

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

BusterBlintz posted:

I'm disappointed this thread has become UnfinishedGoonProjects.ods. Every time we get a new flood of kissass comments about building some guitar my eyes slide right off the page. BOOHOO

But TONEZ!

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Dewgy posted:

you got any good tips on getting a midi guitar working in logic because i'm a total dumbass and can't figure out how to get my rock band mustang doodad to work for it

works with my casio just fine (which works with logic using the same adapter) but not my pro audio software (likely because i'm a dumbass)

What's it doing? If it's like mine you have to make sure it's listening to all six channels from the guitar, not just channel 1. Du dunno how to deal with that in logic.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Need dat TONEZ knob.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aoi-chan posted:

What's it doing? If it's like mine you have to make sure it's listening to all six channels from the guitar, not just channel 1. Du dunno how to deal with that in logic.

squat, i'm not really sure how to check my inputs or set this thing up in the audio MIDI doodad either, it's a $10 adapter from amazon

i think i can get logic to see the adapter but getting no response from the guitar in audio midi setup or logic

e: for all i know it could just be hosed and i'm doing it right :shrug:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

SaNChEzZ posted:

I've got a 3d printer on the way and would happily print a 'shitload' of tone knobs if there's some sort of cad (.stl) file for it!

Oooooh! Awesome.

I think I need to clean myself up, that's loving perfect. The fact that it's on a cheesy old teisco just makes it fantastic. That is proper awesome.

Fumble posted:

There is something about mixing active and passive electronics in a guitar thats setting off a red flag in my memory but I can't quite place why, it might be to do with volume when you switch between the two.

When the active circuit is on the volume is going to be loud as gently caress, pure noise until it's turned down. There probably is a way around it, but I can't figure it out.

BusterBlintz posted:

I'm disappointed this thread has become UnfinishedGoonProjects.ods. Every time we get a new flood of kissass comments about building some guitar my eyes slide right off the page. Boooooo

You can't rush perfection TONEZ

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

White Dog Eggs posted:

When the active circuit is on the volume is going to be loud as gently caress, pure noise until it's turned down. There probably is a way around it, but I can't figure it out.

This is a good thing

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
My girlfriend just suggested to me that I could replace the normal strat jack plug with an altoids tin. Aside from some additional routing, I can't see any downside to this. It'd even give me more room for pots.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

My girlfriend just suggested to me that I could replace the normal strat jack plug with an altoids tin. Aside from some additional routing, I can't see any downside to this. It'd even give me more room for pots.

Hinge the lid and have the pots and knobs inside :master:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

loving wife-material right there.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

Hinge the lid and have the pots and knobs inside :master:

You could keep mints in too. Never know when you'll want a mint.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
White dog eggs please make a GBS acoustic

i want an acoustic

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

White Dog Eggs is going to make a hammered dulcimer, the kind of dulcimer you can only play if you're hammered

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Because English people are drunk all the time, or at least that's the impression I have from reading Viz comic, the source of all my knowledge of the British Isles

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quickscope420dad posted:

White dog eggs please make a GBS acoustic

i want an acoustic

I built two acoustics. It was a horrible experience and I don't want to repeat it ever again. Proper pain in the rear end. I am building a weird acoustic instrument for another thread, but I never seem to have time to work on it :(.

tacodaemon posted:

White Dog Eggs is going to make a hammered dulcimer, the kind of dulcimer you can only play if you're hammered

tacodaemon posted:

Because English people are drunk all the time, or at least that's the impression I have from reading Viz comic, the source of all my knowledge of the British Isles

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
feck

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
they really toned down andy capp for american audiences

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
dog eggs knows nothing of dulcimer pegs

he suggested them for a project I pm'd him about and tried to get me to buy some from a dead guy!

dead guys don't do music very well

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 22, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dewgy posted:

dog eggs knows nothing of dulcimer pegs

he suggested them for a project I pm'd him about and tried to get me to buy some from a dead guy!

dead guys don't do music very well

That's a damned lie. When you die your skin rots off and exposes bone, bone is good for tone! Skin is a tone killer. In an ideal world we'd just be bones covered in nitro lacquer.

I guess that'll teach me to just grab the first link off a yahoo luthier group. Pm'D You another website!

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 22, 2014

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Hey WDE or anyone else, I was wondering, if I put 2 or 3 pickups in a guitar, each with individual volumes, is there any serious reason that I would still need a selector switch? If I wanted a pickup off, would rolling it's volume down to zero be the same as unselecting it via a switch?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Fair Hallion posted:

Hey WDE or anyone else, I was wondering, if I put 2 or 3 pickups in a guitar, each with individual volumes, is there any serious reason that I would still need a selector switch? If I wanted a pickup off, would rolling it's volume down to zero be the same as unselecting it via a switch?

You're probably not going to be able to change from your rhythm-tone to your lead-tone fast enough with a setup like that. But if you don't need to change that fast it could work. Still seems kind of cumbersome though.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Fair Hallion posted:

I think turning any one of them to zero would kill all output

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

TheChaosPath posted:

I think turning any one of them to zero would kill all output

Only if they're mounted in series.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

White Dog Eggs posted:

You could keep mints in too. Never know when you'll want a mint.
Noooooo, it's funny and all but I monkey around with my volume/tone knobs too much onstage to hide them in a box or something that would make me have to think or something.

Yes to replacing the normal jack with the tin tho'. Bonus points if you can find one of those Penguin Mints tins.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fair Hallion posted:

I've done this in a 3-pickup SG. I used Push/Pull pots. Pull sent the signal to ground, it's a lot quicker than winding the knob all the way down.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Rob Chapman (The white guy with terrible dreads) uploaded a video today where he and Lee Anderton try to buy a guitar for around £300 then spend another £300 modding the thing to find the perfect modified guitar within a £600 budget. Decent video but I spent the whole time watching it thinking, "But does it have TONEZ?" WDE, where's the cost figure for the awful guitar at the moment?

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 22, 2014

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Thanks guys, yes hadn't considered push/pull pots. I was just wondering if such a guitar layout existed. A bit of searching brung me this:

http://www.puresalemguitars.com/models/sad-fester/

Pots appear to be neck volume, bridge volume, master tone, with no switch.
What's up with that name though. Ugh

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

Noooooo, it's funny and all but I monkey around with my volume/tone knobs too much onstage to hide them in a box or something that would make me have to think or something.

Yes to replacing the normal jack with the tin tho'. Bonus points if you can find one of those Penguin Mints tins.

Can't get penguin mints over here, alas. How would you feel about putting some of the controls on the top of the lid?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Fair Hallion posted:

Thanks guys, yes hadn't considered push/pull pots. I was just wondering if such a guitar layout existed. A bit of searching brung me this:

http://www.puresalemguitars.com/models/sad-fester/

Pots appear to be neck volume, bridge volume, master tone, with no switch.
What's up with that name though. Ugh

I... I have to buy that.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Can't get penguin mints over here, alas. How would you feel about putting some of the controls on the top of the lid?
I'm groovy with that, I just gotta be able to get to 'em without a lot of fuss. ;)

When I switched to the Axe-FX I thought 'Ah-HA no more monkeying around with the vol/tone knobs to clean things up I'll just step on the MIDI box' but nope, that sumbitch reacts to knob manipulation exactly like any of my tube amps do, so yeah, I'm still as much of a knob twister as much as I've ever been.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Rob Chapman (The white guy with terrible dreads) uploaded a video today where he and Lee Anderton try to buy a guitar for around £300 then spend another £300 modding the thing to find the perfect modified guitar within a £600 budget. Decent video but I spent the whole time watching it thinking, "But does it have TONEZ?" WDE, where's the cost figure for the awful guitar at the moment?

I liked that video and I was happy that he picked the TE-202 because it's cool.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

It's not for me to say, client confidentiality and all that ;)

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Oh you tease.

muike posted:

I liked that video and I was happy that he picked the TE-202 because it's cool.

I liked it too but couldn't help look at my RG and think, "I did it better". Only I would have blown the budget in true Top Gear challenge fashion by about another £800.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
I just got a phonecall

[sounds of a busy pub in the background] Hello?
Me: Hi

"Could you put an iPhone dock in my guitar?" [Guy is obviously pissed as a fart]

Me: I don't see why not.

"Cool" *hangs up*

It's 1:30am here :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

White Dog Eggs posted:

I just got a phonecall

[sounds of a busy pub in the background] Hello?
Me: Hi

"Could you put an iPhone dock in my guitar?" [Guy is obviously pissed as a fart]

Me: I don't see why not.

"Cool" *hangs up*

It's 1:30am here :psyduck:

sometimes you just need to know these things right now

• Locked thread